Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Locked Topic
  • Pages:
Lore Suggestion Thread
Topic Started: Mar 16 2012, 04:44 PM (4,186 Views)
Namira
Member Avatar
Paint me like one of your Sith girls
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is the official thread to make suggestions for items to be inducted into canon for SOTF-TV. The old thread had some good ideas in it, but it was generally quite disorganised and there was some confusion about whether or not things that were posted in there were official or just suggestions.

From now on, there are two places that you can make suggestions for TV Lore. Here, in this very thread, or on the mini wiki, on the page designed for this very purpose. The basic procedure is pretty simple; you make a post in the topic with an idea, the staff assess it on general plausibility, how fitting it would be with canon and its general strength, and then we make a decision as to whether make it canon or not.

Officially canon lore can be found here. (The page will be under construction for a while, please bear with us). There are plenty of seasons to play around with, so don't be afraid to post your ideas! One of the big draws of TV is its depth of history... but right now, most of it's an unknown. The more we know, the more fun the universe will be to play with.

EDIT: You can save a bunch of time and get stuff done quickly/easily by following this template as a guideline:

Quote:

Dates:
Winner:
Runner Up:
Third Place:

Notable Participants:

Summary:
Legacy:

Suggested by:

Seasons thus far
Offline Profile Goto Top

Laurels
Member Avatar
*Katya wheeze*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Laurels is making a big leap with this idea!!

SOTF-TV Season 34: Amusement Park

The second game of 2014's games, Season 34 was set at the Cherry Acres Family Theme Park in Ohio. Here, contestants were dropped in random areas of the theme park with only a weapon. Everything else could be found in the park, which was completely stocked and operational. At all times, the rides were set to run until they broke down for whatever reason. The theme park included seven themed areas, the park entrance, the completely full parking lot, and various parts of the backstage area, such as employee areas and management offices. Throughout the park, they could visit various food stands, gift shops, rides, and other locations to hide or fight their opponents.

The winner of the game was a girl named Lily Harper. Lily began the game with a scrapbook to fill with photos from her time at Cherry Acres. After allying with a few of her cheerleader friends, the girls set about trying to avoid any players, mostly hiding in the Busy Beaver Log Flume ride. It wasn't until a deranged player named Ethan Wallace arrived and killed all of her allies that Lily played, knocking Ethan off the railing near the flume's big drop. From then on, Lily simply killed any hostile players she came across, using the pistol she managed to get from Ethan before his death. Lily ended up killing four of her classmates, the last one by pushing her in front of a roller coaster car.

(Thoughts?)
Mini Art

Former characters
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pippin
Member Avatar
W A H
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Laurels-I like the idea! I think it'd be interesting to put the students in places that aren't an island every season. I think that money might be an issue, but then again, seeing as SOTF-TV would be in it's 34th season, it'd probably be popular enough by then to afford it.

Whilst I've already posted an idea on the wiki page, I've recently had a couple of smaller ideas too, so here they are:

The winner of Season 19, Kjartan Sorensen, was a rather unique winner, in that he didn't kill anyone. Recieving a copy of To Kill A Mockingbird as his weapon, he hid for the majority of the game, having to run from a player a couple of times. He eventually got to the final two, and won when Tana Carroll, the only other contestant, died from the wounds she gained during the game.

Four students managed to escape during Season 26-Nolan McMann, Pascal Maynard, Nina Reeves and Connor Compton. The four managed to disable their collars, before escaping. Two other students died whilst trying to escape. Louie Sabin, who originally came up with the escape idea, was the first to try and disable his collar, but took so long doing so that the producers worked out what he was doing, and blew it. The sixth would-be-escapee, Zoe Warner, accidentally pulled her own collar when she tried to disable it.
Edited by Pippin, Mar 25 2012, 10:12 AM.
Currently Playing

Remembering those lost

Awesome art by awesome people

???
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cake
Member Avatar
Psychedelic!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just a heads up, that the staff has been keeping track of every suggestion, even on the wiki. ;)

Thanks for the input so far!
Second Chances Version 2 Characters:
B14: Kyran Dean | Alive - bandaged cheek with diagonal scar, bloody nose | Whatever (Catchphrase) in: Hero? But I'm a Kid Like Everyone Else | AK-47
G29: Wendy Fischer | Alive | Pantsless in: Carp Diem | Frozen 25lb Carp with no head (Mr. Dolph)

Sotf-TV Season 65 Flagship:
Gold Team Member #4 (SDA Male): Shawn Morrison | One with the Universe | Being Real in: Oracular Spectacular | Brian Peter George St. John Le Baptiste De La Salle Eno, The Deceased Boa Constrictor.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Brackie
Member Avatar

[ *  *  *  * ]
Alright, I've been thinking this one over for a long time, so now to share it (but be careful, it's a doozey):

SOTF-TV Season 12: Harvard University
The Program 2.5 - Traitors

Santiago Ibarra - Butterfly Knife

Nani Clover - Plastic Scythe

It is Known
Offline Profile Goto Top

Namira
Member Avatar
Paint me like one of your Sith girls
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey guys, bringing some feedback from the staff team here.

Firstly I'd like to establish a few rules/guidelines for submissions. We're setting the limit for kill counts based off our current highest killer; Maxwell Lombardi. In the SOTF multiverse, we'd prefer if Maxwell remained the canonically top killer - unless somebody exceeded him in game. High kill counts are plausible, yes, but remember TV's games are much smaller.

Relatedly, we're setting the maximum limit for students in a given season at 80. Okay so big seasons might be fun, but if there's a ton of people you'd run into problems with broadcasting and so on. Season 65's 66 was probably already on the big side, considering they needed the numbers for teams.

* Another thing is that just because they're 'backstory', so to speak, doesn't mean that they don't have to be plausible. There's room for creativity and innovation, of course, but if it's officially canon, then there has to be a realism line drawn somewhere. Please bear that in mind when constructing lore.

--------------

@Laur: The staff propose amending the setting for this season to being an abandoned amusement park (complete with rides and so on) as opposed to one that is fully operational. It's not entirely plausible that rides could be running nonstop for several days with no maintenance, so we'd rather see the attractions inactive. As such, would you mind tweaking the kills slightly? They're probably still fairly doable, but there aren't any rollercoasters to shove people under anymore.

The idea of obtaining a gun from somebody you pushed over a ledge is a little... odd, as well. It seems like it would be a surprise as opposed to a struggle, making getting the gun seem a bit improbable.

@Pippin: We like season 44! The only slight problem is that a direct shot to the forehead is actually quite unlikely to kill somebody outright. It's the thickest part of the skull. I mean, without medical attention they're still most likely going to die, but it's not going to be a 'Bam, dead' thing. Would you mind altering that a little?

Season 19 looks nice.

Season 26... can we have some more details on this escape plot? Like, what did it entail? How'd they disable the collars?

@Inky: Sorry but no. That's just too big a game, in too implausible a location, with too big a killer in it. 40 kills is insane and blows all other canon out of the water, and 'good weapons' or no, I really can't see somebody blowing through 18 others without having any trouble, especially if they "All think they deserve to go home". The idea's appreciated but the staff doesn't really think it checks out.
~*~

Currently Showing

Previously on Namiravision
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pippin
Member Avatar
W A H
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Glad to hear y'all like the idea! And, right, changing the shot to the forehead thing. How about if Kieran still shoots Mark in the forehead, then gets up and shoots him in the heart too?

Ah, right, the escape thing. Yeaah, I thought that'd need something else. I'm not entirely sure on how they disabled the collars, but would it be feasible for there to be some sort of weakspot on the collars that, if an electric shock was administered there, would render them useless? As for the rest of the escape plot, here we go. It's kinda long, sorry.

ESCAPE PLOT

Okay, that should do it. Hoepfully the whole escape idea isn't too far fetched...
Currently Playing

Remembering those lost

Awesome art by awesome people

???
Offline Profile Goto Top

Slayer
Member Avatar
Ouch.
[ *  * ]
I'm working on writing stuff up, but I'd just like to put forwards that Dylan Calloway won season 52. That's why it's his Twitter name. I was wondering if his season being changed to 53 on the wiki was a mistake, or some kind of retcon?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Brackie
Member Avatar

[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks to some newly introduced information of which I was unaware initially, my proposal is eeeeedited~

SOTF-TV Season 12: Harvard University
The Program 2.5 - Traitors

Santiago Ibarra - Butterfly Knife

Nani Clover - Plastic Scythe

It is Known
Offline Profile Goto Top

Laurels
Member Avatar
*Katya wheeze*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Alright, let we rework the story a bit:

SOTF TV Season 34: Cherry Acres Family Amusement Park

Hope that makes this archive worthy.
Edited by Laurels, Apr 9 2012, 07:10 PM.
Mini Art

Former characters
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cash Money
Member Avatar
SLOBAMA APPROVES
[ *  * ]
Season 25

Season 25 took place in a business park that was mostly constructed before funding ran dry and the project had to be abandoned. The arena was bisected by a four lane street, with one side dominated by several 10-story buildings and the other being an expansive maze of one-story buildings intended for small businesses and office condos, and for the overgrown grassy areas to the south of the park. The bottom floors of the so called "High Rise" zones were mostly furnished, while the top floors looked more like a construction site.

The season's contestants were taken from Elm Park High School in the titular suburb of Chicago during what was intended to be a homecoming pep rally. The season's top killer was Timofey Ipatiev, nicknamed Vlad the Impaler after impaling Molly Davoust on an exposed rebar on the roof of one of the high rises early on. He stole her machine pistol and went on to kill 7 further students all in the same building, even wrestling one opponent off the roof, only to be blown up by a mine when leaving the building after it was declared a danger zone. The eventual winner was Cassandra Norton, who managed to dash from office condo to office condo for most of the game. She was given a trumpet as a weapon, and she was able to use a machine shop filled with bolted-down machinery to fashion her instrument into a few crude sharp objects, with which she killed 3 people.

The eventual final battle between Daniel Holden and Hillary Choate happened, after a careful narrowing of the battlefield by the producers, inside a large open courtyard in between two mirror-image high rises. Hillary managed to kill Dan first, but sustained major wounds in the process. Cassandra arrived late to the scene and mercy killed Hillary with Dan's gun for the win. She is currently working as an industrial engineer.

That's all I can come up with right now, if anything needs elaboration/changes let me know!
Program:
M04: Kingsley Tran
Sydney Cattrell coming soon

The Past

The Future
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
I can trick them into thinking anything
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Whoops. That was my bad, Kyle. You corrected it being wrong in one spot yesterday, and I fixed the one that was right instead of the one that was wrong. I'll set it right ASAP (meaning probably tomorrow; I'm incredibly tired right now).
Current characters:

The Program: V3 Prologue:
Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."
Erik Bell - Jericho .941 - Having lunch - "May I?"

SECOND CHANCES: V2:
Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."

Past characters:

If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

Thanks to Bear/Frogue/Kotorikun/Ryuki for the avatar art.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alrighty! A couple things:

First off, staff have been establishing guidelines as we see and discuss ideas. I'd just like to be clear that we're not keeping a secret list of no-nos backstage and then smacking ideas down when they fail to conform to them. Rather, we're seeing ideas that seem to be an issue for the TV world, and saving everyone time by adding rules to prevent people from getting turned down for the same reasons later.

That said, a few pieces of clarification and a personal plea:

Clarification: Saying we don't want Maxwell unseated means he's above the maximum kill limit. The kill limit for TV Lore is twelve, and, honestly, we're gonna look at anyone who's got that really hard. Details and realism are highly appreciated.

Now, to the next point:

This is a personal request, and is not aimed at anyone specific (in fact, it is largely preemptive).

TV is not a game of extremes, and the lore suggestion thread is not the place to do all the awesome stuff you can't do in the normal game. Basically, keep stuff realistic. Keep it grounded and maybe just a little restrained.

The reason is simple: while TV has a huge, complicated, awesome history that is still being written and unveiled, it is, first and foremost, an RP. More than that, it's a Mini, specifically designed for newer handlers. I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers my first in-game stuff really clearly. One of the fun parts of being new is doing awesome (but hopefully still realistic) stuff. Heck, that's still fun for me now.

The problem is, if there's a huge backlog of fantastically over the top, awesome, tough as nails competitors and winners and stuff, the actual, RPed characters—who are constrained by stuff like who's willing to give them kills or being stuck in slow threads or just being actual, developed, RPed characters—can kinda end up looking somewhat lacking. If people get tons of kills all the time, well, what makes Vincent Sullivan or Zach Johnston special? What'll make the kids next season new?

I'm not saying there shouldn't be big killers, or cool events. I'm saying they shouldn't be everything, shouldn't be the major focus of past games. Lore does offer the chance to do some things that would be nigh-impossible in an actual, RPed game due to logistics (like, say, Jared taking out a group of four with a grenade, which you'd have a hard time selling handlers on/orchestrating). That's fine.

Just, please, think before you propose something about whether it's looking likely to overshadow what's already been RPed or what may come next season. We'd like the past stuff to be there for referencing and all, but we also want the focus largely on the stuff folks are actually RPing out.

Again, this is more probably me being worried about what may come later, and wanting to bring a perspective that might not be obvious at first glance to the table.

Thanks for listening, and keep up the rocking suggestions. :)

EDIT: And, back on an official note, please remember the staff reserve the right to edit, change, or co-opt for sinister purposes anything proposed here. If you want to do something like what Kyle's done (using Dylan, a past winner, for his IC twitter feed), please ask the staff for permission (like Kyle did).

That's all!
Current characters:

Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."

Past characters:

If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Also, everyone who wants to do full seasons can save the staff a bunch of time and get your work through more intact if you follow this template (Don't worry about formatting; we can handle that. What's important is the sections.):

Quote:

Dates:
Winner:
Runner Up:
Third Place:

Notable Participants:

Summary:
Legacy:

Suggested by:
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:

Past characters:

Offline Profile Goto Top

Rattlesnake
Member Avatar
I used to be a player-hunter just like you, 'til I took a shotgun to the knee.
[ *  *  * ]
A bit of a standout stat-wise, perhaps, but there have to be a few egregious failures over 65 seasons.

Season 12: Detroit Warehouse
Second Chances v1:
Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · TV2 Planning/Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic
  • Pages:

Theme created by tiptopolive. Find more great themes and skins at the ZB Theme Zone.