Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
home made mini's; trying to sculpt small
Topic Started: Jun 21 2018, 06:02 PM (609 Views)
Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Now my mini's are all over the place...

Started out with my first experiments in the Mini section (not WIP) of this site.
And maybe you 've seen my zombies at diner in the 2018 Warlord's Challenge ?

But this post will be about the rest of the mini's I'm currently making.

So first off, cause this is fun and I sure want to make some more, a sci-fi figure in 'body armor'.
I actually found sculpting a person with armor easier because you get to hide some anatomical mistakes or get to work bigger because of masks, gloves, padding,...
This does not mean this sculpt is perfect but I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome.
In the end, the sculpting was almost finished, I had ruined the right boot by touching it.
I repaired it in a hurry and now it looks all wrong.

My greenstuff is gone so I made this mini with a skeleton of iron wire covered with plumbers epoxy and finished with over backed clay (some sort of Fimo).

The finish could be better. I don't know if you can sand down Fimo ? I will try.
Or I could try to make some 'liquid green stuff' , never seen or tried it before but it sounds interesting to use as finishing layer.
I will try to dilute the greenstuff with some 'white spirit' or thinner, see if this works...?

What do you think ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
I like him. Nice work.

v_lazy_dragon
Member Avatar
Enforcer
[ * ]
Nice work
As for Liquid greenstuff - GW sells it, which might be easier than trying to make some yourself if you don't have a recipe?

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Thanks for the comments guy's !

And here he is with gun.
He looks a bit retro-sic-fi, nothing fancy in pose, expression or sculpting, but I like him.

Using the plumbers epoxy or 'Fimo' would not have worked to make small detail as a gun, I suppose (but have not tried it yet). So I used the last snippet of green stuff I had left.
The gun looked ok, but now seeing it on foto, it should be a bit less 'sloppy' a bit more 'straight edges'.
I will have to look for some tutorials on this. My main source of Youtube mini sculpting tutorials are by a guy called Tom Mason. He really is a pro !

Still having trouble finding the right wire for the armatures. The florist wire I got laying about works but I have to make 4 of them to get 1 usable out of it, 3 will snap during the twisting, very frustrating...

`Posted Image

Posted Image

A sneak preview on the next one... and the last bit of green stuff remaining

Posted Image
Edited by Bobscene, Jun 22 2018, 10:02 AM.

tinker
Member Avatar
CEO of "Rat-on-a-Stick" Industries
[ * ]
Excellent work Bobscene!

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Good work.

You better go scavenging for some more green stuff.

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Next up: a P.A. survivor with (what is supposed to be) a gas mask in a wintery outfit (no those are not Hula flowers around his neck ;-)

The gas mask was the most difficult part. Why ? well it is hard to make and stick on such a small flimsy circle and keep the perfect shape.

Since I have made this entire figure in oven backed clay an other big problem was that the entire figure stays soft while sculpting. So I kept, accidentally, touching previously finished parts. Very frustrating.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I kept running into problems with this one. Next problem was the iron wire in his left hand, which was supposed to become a knife, is too thick to be a blade.
so now I 'm wondering, what can it be then ? Maybe I 'll sculpt a broken bottle (improvised weapon) onto it ?

Posted Image

Comparison pic.
I still make 'em a bit too big. That is because my wire armature is 32 mm but as I put some putty onto of this wire it automatically gets larger... So I should change the measurements of my armature-template, I suppose.

He is only momentarily fixed to the base, because maybe it will need to come off so I can paint it.
Posted Image

Can 't say I'm really pleased with this one. Had some trouble making it and I find the result a rather boring figure. I sculpt too realistic to be expressive and not realistic enough to be convincing in that department...

Any way, the only way to get better is to practice some more I guess...

Ciao !
Edited by Bobscene, Jun 26 2018, 08:49 AM.

tinker
Member Avatar
CEO of "Rat-on-a-Stick" Industries
[ * ]
:pipboy2:

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Great work. Maybe the weapon could be a club?

Keep it coming.

mr wasteland
Member Avatar
Vault Dweller
[ * ]
looks great.

Brummie
Member Avatar
Boss Sec Man
[ * ]
They are coming along in leaps and bounds. I can appreciate how hard it is. But Practice and keep stabbing at it and you'll get better and better. :pipboy:

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]

Thanks for the support !

I have not decided at the choice of his weapon, will let it linger some more

To keep motivation up I decided to try something fun, something without restrictions on size, anatomy, form...
Some muties !

Only backside is, for the moment I'm kind of busy doing other stuff...

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Hey,

some small progress.
I gave him an improvised weapon and worked some on his gas mask.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finished the mutant in a bit of a hurry.

Don 't know... I, deliberately, made his arms to long but I did not exaggerate enough so now it looks as if the sculptor got his anatomy wrong. I had to look for an other solution to make him look 'weird/mutated', so I added the 'suckers'.

Maybe if I 'll try to make some more muties with deformed limbs, maybe extreme long legs or big head or...?
Any ideas ?

I really got to get some greenstuff because working with (a sort off) Fimo everything stays soft while sculpting. Like this it is really hard to sculpt feet or hands. With greenstuff I would be able to work on these parts when the rest of the figure is hardend.

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
I think you pull off the thing with the arms. They look pretty good.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Both figures look good to me.

Big head mutant, pin head mutant or how about a mutant with fangs or a beak?

Brummie
Member Avatar
Boss Sec Man
[ * ]
Both look good. Love the Shiv type weapon as well very cool.

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Thanks guy's !

look what/who I found wondering through the wastes...
Mutie number 2.

Posted Image

If I ever can lay my hands on some green stuff I'll probably sculpt some kind of weapon (club ? spear ?) into his left hand.
Maybe I should have put some wire in there in the 'armature fase' ( to secure to weapon to the hand) but I did not (know at that time I would give him a weapon, maybe next time I'll make at least a rough sketch before starting to sculpt)

Posted Image

On the next foto you can see the parts that are badly sculpted. Funny how an obvious fault you don't see while checking it with the naked eye but then you do instantly see it on foto.
Later on, with some green stuff, I'll try to adjust the shape of his head/nose/chin, and look...! he's an anorexic mutant ! He 's is way to slim (had some scale confusion going on there).

Posted Image

As you can see he also got some 'suckers' growing on him. Maybe all the mutants are infected like this ? As to mark them as a group/faction.

Posted Image

Maybe, with the green stuff, later on, I'll give them some clothes/rags/gear ?

I'll also have to keep better track of the measurements. This 'longlegs mutant' is 47 mm, the guy with the shooter is 38 mm (amain below the belt, that is not fair !) and my wasteland wanderer is correct on 32 mm.

Posted Image

Now, on request of the boss man himself, I'll go looking for a big headed and a pin head mutant.
This may take a while...

Ciao !

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Looks good to me. A loin cloth would look good or some rags maybe?

Brummie
Member Avatar
Boss Sec Man
[ * ]
Looks good! Liking the suckers and stuff

emergencyoverride
Member Avatar
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Man! Those are coming along nicely. You can really see the progression from when you started til now. Keep it up bro!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

2 users reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Minis WIP · Next Topic »
Add Reply