Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mmmm...food....mmmm...brains
Topic Started: Jun 13 2018, 09:23 PM (129 Views)
Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Looks like I started this post at the wrong place, sorry E.O.

But here it ... is my contribution to the 2018 challenge, nothing to see, yet.

Still contemplating what to build, but I think it will be small, as I am into 'green stuff' for the moment...

To be continued...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]

Posted Image

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
That is looking good so far.

emergencyoverride
Member Avatar
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
No worries Bob! That new mini is coming along nicely! Love the spine!

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]

Posted Image

Posted Image

The front of the skull is completely wrong, but this don't really matters, it can hardly be seen anyway
The hands are far to thick, so is the fabric of the clothes etc... I'll have to work on/get used to scaling down everything.

But... I'm having fun so more to come !

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Good to hear. Keep up the good work.

I must admit I have always wanted to learn to sculpt but I never seem to get focused enough.

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Well...I must admit that my enthusiasm has faded somewhat...

Yesterday evening I tried for 2 hours to make a skull, achieved nothing.
I am now working with florist wire, thanks for the tip Syko.
I still had some laying about, my mother in law was a florist, once.

This morning I tried sculpting a skull again but after 10 minutes I gave up.
You can see the result below...

It is supposed to be a zombie, so it can be a strange skull, maybe there is still some lumps of flesh on it ?
Reasoning like this I should better switch to making aliens or muties...
Anyway maybe tonight I'll try again to make 'something more or less human looking...

It did make a template to keep the mini as small as possible, I am now aiming at 32mm.
But as you can see on the foto not with much succes...

Posted Image

Only the skull is more or less finished on this one. I'll give him some ripped up clothes as well.
With the putty I had left, after my failure last evening, I made some cans and tried a bottle also.

Posted Image

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Looks good to me. From the angle the head looks a little large but that could just be the camera angle. Maybe flesh out the body a little bit more?

Keep up the good work. Practice is key to learning sculpting. You are still far more gifted than me.

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
You are, of course, right. I would not dare to contradict you, oh mighty leader, the head is to big. I will try to compensate by 'fleshing out' the body some more.
Try to do that tomorrow (today), Sunday.

But on me being more gifted... don' t know... I have a lot of experience making puppets, that's a fact.

Made marionet puppets, made some animation film puppets, and I am currently working on a 'horror show' for kids based on 'Punch and Judy', and, coincidently, made a lot of 'giants' in my 'career' (some sort of folklore in these parts, 'giant puppets in a parade') But miniatures... it' s the first time I try something that small.
And that is a completely different ballgame...

Edited by Bobscene, Jun 17 2018, 12:04 AM.

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
So... the build on this piece is done.
2 zombies eating a corps.
There not perfect but seen from this top view perspective they are not bad at all.

Posted Image

Faces/skulls gave me the most trouble sculpting.
The hands are too big and still too fragile, I'll maybe try to put some wire in them next time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At each little step, you have to have patience on this, I had some putty left.
So I used these leftovers to sculpt what are supposed to be cans of food or bottles or packaging.
Posted Image

Group shot.
I'll wait some before painting them. Think I will try to make some more models cause it really is challenging and I am sure I can still learn a lot.
Posted Image

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Nice looking group. I look forward seeing more sculpts.

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]

ok here they are,

some practice sculpts.
I started out making the hands with an iron wire armature to make them stronger.
However this way I could not get them smaller (maybe if I find some thinner wire I'll try again) so I left out the wire. After some practicing I got them down to size.
But sculpting an open hand, the most vulnerable pose, and still remaining strong enough this works only with green stuff (and mine is almost gone).
Going 'into town' ( = Ghent, I live in a sort of suburb town called Evergem) takes to long so I went to the DIY supermarket down the street and got me some ' 2 component plumbers epoxy putty' (this is the white/grey stuff, the yellow is the oven backed clay).
This epoxy stuff gets hard as steel (it is air drying) but hard to smoothen out, it stays 'lumpy' in a way. Also it does not stretch, so making thin sheets, for clothes f.i., is hard also.
But for securing the wire frame, at the beginning of the build,or to make the first layer/the rough forms, it is perfect, also very handy , and cheaper then green stuff, to build larger pieces as the bags f.i.

Posted Image

I'm getting the size right but my sculpting capacities are stretching to the max, notice some strange almost alien forms on the skulls and I only seem to be able to make old wrinkled people or boxers...

Posted Image

I'm planning on sculpting the heads separately and adding them later on, as I did on this fellow.
It does however strike me strange to be making zombies while it's like the only sort of mini's I have plenty off.
But it was good practice making skulls.

Posted Image

Now what mini to make next ?
Maybe try some figure with armor a more tech kind of figure, I think this will prove to offer new challenges. (but not sure if I will be able to make smooth surfaces without green stuff).

Well... think I will find out trying !

Stay tuned,
Ciao

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Warlord’s challenge 2018 · Next Topic »
Add Reply