Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Try to sculpt a mini myself.; Warning this post contains horrible disfigured bodies !
Topic Started: Jun 13 2018, 08:34 AM (79 Views)
Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Since I can't wear my contact lenses anymore I have to wear my glasses. Being rather vain this hurts, but on the upside without my glasses I can see very good upclose (but not further then 7 cm).

Since I have made a lot of scenery but still always I have to say "Yes I made everything myself, except for the miniatures".Subsequently I thought why don 't I give making mini's a try ?

So I did.

First for the excuses:
I did not have steel wire, only wanky/too thin iron wire, to make the armature.
I did not use any model or foto or pose to copy but made one out of the top of my head (will use an example/model to copy next time though)
Because the wire was not giving enough strength, each time I was working on the front of the figure I had to support the figure at the back, like this flattening it. The same happend when working on the back, I ruined/flattend the front.
I must take up some anatomical Youtube lessons on sculpting a head and hands, those parts I f#cked up goodl because it was already to late and I had no time to finish. Next time I'll do the head and hands in a second session, now everything was done in 1 session.
He's just a couple of millimeters too big.
Following I will try to sculpt on some clothes to this guy, so stay tuned if you want to find out how this will look...

Ciao !
Bobscene

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tinker
Member Avatar
CEO of "Rat-on-a-Stick" Industries
[ * ]
Wow, a wonderful start! Keep at it.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
That’s a good start. Keep up the good work.

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Suddenly realized that I should have posted this in the WIP department, no ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Actually I think the result for now is quit satisfying
Sure it is a bit weird that his left lower arm is thicker than his upper arm, or that the left kneecap is missing, and that ankle is much too thin...
I made some adjustments with oven backed polymere on top of the cured green stuff (mostly known as Fimo, but I used a much cheaper brand) some things as the shape of the face I could not correct anymore, the hands...well...I tried.

I include a pic on the self made sculpting tool. Made by a drop of hot glue on the back tip of a brush. Let the glue set and then cut it with a sharp blade into desired shape. Works a charm (does not stick to green stuff) but I would want a much smaller one for my next build.

Posted Image

Haha, after backing the above figure, it came out with two big blobs of glue on its back (cut them off already) I forgot I fixed the wire armature with hot glue... next time I'll use super glue.

Sykoholic
Member Avatar
Village Idiot
[ * ]
In case you didn't already know this...

Go to a florist shop or the floral depart of a crafts store and get yourself some florist wire. It's the wire that is stuck up the stems of roses to keep them from drooping. It's perfect for making armatures.

Also, a burnishing tool of some sort. Something small with a round, smooth surface. Softly rub it over over the surface of your figure and it will smooth out all the lumps, wrinkles, and finger prints. It's also go for blending "blobs" together so there's no visible seam between them.

Regardless, :good: :bravo:
:pipboy2:
:pipboy:

Moramarth
Coldheart
[ * ]
I seem to recall seeing once on some site a manufacturer who offered the "dollies" (the basic figure shapes he produced upon which he built his own sculpts) for sale. These were free of copyright (or licensed) so they could be used by other sculptors for figures they wished to produce for sale. The problem is, I can't remember the manufacturer, or even the scale...
If you only wish to produce a few odd figures for your own use, just buy naked (or nearly so) figures and add clothing and equipment to taste. The various manufacturers who offer separate heads are the answer to the most difficult part of the sculpt, but those are copyrighted (as will be the bodies) even if you modify them and you won't be able to produce them in bulk for sale.

Regards

M

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Yow,

thanks for the positive and interesting feed back guy's !

@ Syko: I will surely check out the florist wire, but yesterday I was 'in town' and bought me some 0,8 and 0,6 mm steel.. well it was not wire but straight beams, at 0,50 euro cent/meter. The 0,8 was too thick but the 0,6 seems to work (check my post on the 2018 Warlord challenge, soon)
And you are absolutely right on smoothing out the wrinkles and blobs.
I checked some Youtube lessen (Tom Mason) and he makes the core of the figure in greenstuff and the outer layer in Fimo (which should smooth out better).

@ M: maybe you noticed I am a hard core DIY kind of guy. So I try to stay away from any pre-arranged/commercial tricks/formula's. I'm in it for the exploration of DIY techniques and am not intending on selling anything (unless it's at a really ridiculous high price, as we all know principles are good but big money don't need principles...)
Other wise I wish I had some 20 unpainted zombies (Zombicide) left, I would have used them to convert rather then have to sculpt new ones (you really should check out my post on the 2018 Warlord challenge, not yet but soon...)

Ciao

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Looking good so far. I like the tool idea. One thing is not to get disheartened if it doesn’t go well, from my experience it is a skill that can take time to learn.

As for the WIP area.....this is the wastelands. A little bit of anarchy is expected. :lol:

Brummie
Member Avatar
Boss Sec Man
[ * ]
Promising start. I find it really hard so Kudos for this effort its looking good so far. Keep at it your doing good things with it :pipboy:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Post Apoc Miniatures · Next Topic »
Add Reply