Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
painted 2 Factious Waste minis and 29 zombies
Topic Started: Apr 29 2018, 06:41 PM (395 Views)
Bobscene
Tribal Savage
[ * ]

So the start of my scenery and wargame adventures came some 5 years ago.
Looking for a game to play with my then 12 year old son we stumbled upon a Warhammer 40K shop.
Sure enough we bought the big box containing 2 army's : Spacemarines and Cultists; also containing some paint.

It is these paints I used to paint these mini's.
i had little experience in painting minis mainly because I don't very much like doing it and secondly because of my poor eyesight (I am nearsighted - 8).
But lately I can't wear my contact lenses any more and without glasses, being nearsighted , I can see very sharp very close by. if I keep the figure about 4 cm of my eye I can see it very sharp. Only problem painting like this is that I am constantly in the way of the light with my head.

Anyway...VERY HAPPY that I tried it and the way they turned out.
However...I made one big , beginners, mistake.
I was not patient enough to wash the plastic models neither did I wait until I had some plastic primer. I primed the models with a cheap black spray can and the paint now is coming loose when I scratch with my nail !
I tried to fix it with spraying on some Matt fixative (use for charcoal drawings) but this did not help. And when looking at the pictures it is no Matt either. I will buy some mat varnish hope this will help a bit.

I first sticked the models with some doubled sided tape to a cardboard. Then base coated them, some highlight colors, to finish of a brown light wash.
Posted Image

Because there where so many models I did not go into detail to much.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I only did one of these mean big ones.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here and there I missed a spot, where the black base coat is still visible, but with zombies it does not matter if they have strange spots.
I did not really paint details either, I did not do any belts or jewelry or other details. Hey ! 29 is already a lot to manage..
Posted Image

Zombies really are ideal for learning how to paint models, you can' t mess them up, there's supposed to be messed up !
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The 2 Factious Waste models, speed painted also I'm afraid. Still ... more then good enough for my table.
Posted Image

Posted Image

All 29 + 2 of them together.
Posted Image

These are the paints I used. Some of them where already dried out a bit so I had to add some water. Most colors I used I blended myself as to give some variation in color on identical models.

Posted Image

Hope to see them on the game-table soon,
Ciao!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

emergencyoverride
Member Avatar
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
:pipboy2: Super cool! Too right on zombies supposed to be messed up anyway. I especially like the paint job on the big guy. I also love the background scenery!
Edited by emergencyoverride, Apr 29 2018, 07:02 PM.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
They look great.

tinker
Member Avatar
CEO of "Rat-on-a-Stick" Industries
[ * ]
Great work! Don't be too concerned, any painting flaws aren't seen at two foot away any how. (I'm saying this to myself as well)

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
That’s a good mantra to have.

johnmonster71
Ghoul
[ * ]
They look great, bud. I see a lot of "pro-painted" miniatures on eBay that don't look half as good. I use a lighted magnifier and/or a pair of thick reading glasses when I paint, as I am far-sighted. Glad to see you painting minis to populate all that fantastic terrain you produce! Keep it up.

Brummie
Member Avatar
Boss Sec Man
[ * ]
Cracking looking hordes!

Bobscene
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Tanx for the comments gents !

They are not perfect, but as you mentioned, good enough to use on the table.

And you know what ? I did not dislike it, so I probably will be painting the other Z's also.
But this time... be sure to wash and prime them decently first !

i trimmed the edges of the bases a bit.
And gave them a layer of brush on mat acrylic varnish.
This seemed to have helped a bit. They are not as shiny anymore and a bit harder to scratch the paint.

Posted Image

Posted Image

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Zombies! Nice looking rotters sir.

tinker
Member Avatar
[ * ]
They're looking good for dead things!

Fimm McCool
Ghoul
[ * ]
They've got a proper gribbly look to them. Actually remind me a lot of John Blanche's models for their atmospheric paint jobs!

Bobscene
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Thanks for the encouraging words sirs.

John Blanche ?

I'm 'into scenery' since a couple of years. Only recently ventured into wargaming itself and the minis depicted in this post are amongst the first I ever painted (previous only did 6 Space marines).

I had to look him up... seems the guy is some sort of wargaming-art-legend !

So I would not compare my attempts to his work.
But... it got me thinking on what you call 'atmospheric'.
Maybe.... you mean like 'a ruff impression' as in contrary with 'a very exact style' more 'loose' then 'precise'.
Cause that I can relate to.
What also may have cause this effect is that I used mostly mixed colors which, even if I try to paint orange (on the big guy f.i.), the orange on his pants will be different in different places cause each time I fill my brush I mix up some yellow and red and it comes out slightly nuanced orange.
Also to this effect I did dry brush on some 'random' colors, now and then, just to clean my brush and to make them more 'tattered' and put some more nuance in.

But thanks, as I mentioned, very motivational (vanity).
As to prove: the remaining batch of zombies and other included minis (Zombicide) already had a soap bath, they are now drying.
however I had some minor set-back... the stores around me seemed to have stopped selling Matt black primer only clear, grey or white will be available.
Can you believe that !!! What is this world coming to !!!

Edited by Bobscene, May 3 2018, 10:51 PM.

Fimm McCool
Ghoul
[ * ]
What I was mostly thinking of was this:

Posted Image

from my earlier gaming days. Now those marines... they ain't blended smooth, there's not much detailing, no freehand artwork... just colours chucked on, inked and highlighted a bit. But they are dark and brooding for all of that- painted to give an impression rather than realism.

JB has done some great 2d art, and with the placcy kits from GW he's inspired a lot of 'Blanchitsu' conversions for Inq28 and the like which are lovely.

Bobscene
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Hey Fimm,

i had a look at Inq28, very nice stuff on there. Tanx for the input.
I especially like how different they are in painting-technique/appearance in comparison with any mini's I've seen before.
I have a batch of primed zombies (+ heroes included = 42) and will sure try the monochrome + ink wash technique you described on some of the Z's.

Meanwhile, while I'm posting, look what I've been up to last couple of evenings.
We had a lettre in the mail from the town council that everybody should have his house number clearly on his facade.
So I made these...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I never made 'full sculpts' this small before but found it very amusing.
Bird is a simple shape to start modeling.
Learned a lot so maybe some day some PA birds for my table ?

Ciao !

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Nice birds.

emergencyoverride
Member Avatar
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Those are great!

Bobscene
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Thanks for the comments,

so I wanted to try painting with washes.
Started clear priming then Matt black followed by some layers of very dry brush white. Gently laying on layers as not to loose any detail.

Posted Image

Here you see them together, washed ones and the previous painted ones.
On this foto, the washed ones their colors are not finished yet ( they are the ones without base texturing).
This is how far I came using only the wases. I have made the washes myself. If interested you can find the wash recipe in my: 'Stackable mountains ' WIP post.

As you can see I had mainly problems with flesh tone, they all look similar, strange kind of pink.
This is because I could not, yet, find my white ink. After this foto I did add some skin paint to fix this.

Posted Image

Painting by washes is easier and the painting goes faster.
However waiting in-between layers to dry is a bit a pain in the back region and slows down the proces.
But, I believe, the result is better cause the colours blend better (a must for 'smudged' characters), and you keep details better, they do not get filled with paint, as in my precious paint job (I maybe could have corrected this afterwards by shading a black wash)

Posted Image

Washes on the left, paint on the right.
Posted Image

So in the end I did use some skin tone paint.
And some red for the blood and white for the fangs, are also paint.
Posted Image

Maybe next time I am painting zombies (stil 30 or so to go) I can try something with glue mixed with red wash/paint to simulate gore ?
Posted Image

They are not sealed yet. I like them Matt, the painted and varnished ones are terribly shiny, I don't want them to end up like that.
See if I can find some Matt varnish spray next time I'm in town.
Posted Image

Next time I might try starting with primer white (sorry MBG) and see what the results are combined with ink/ecoline/washes.

tinker
Member Avatar
[ * ]
The white dry brush first and then the wash effect works very well to my eye!! And that pink"ish" shin color is awesome... I've never liked the use of flesh colored skin on the dead.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Great work, they are looking good.

Bobscene
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Thanks MBG

@Tinker: yeah you are right to much skin tones. Here and there some of them already got a grey or even a green tan. On the remaining 12 un-painted zombies I will try not to use any skin color at all.

And yeah I will stick to the : black primer, layers of white dry brush, colored washes, sequence.

On this batch I started out with grey primer (I did not have any white).
Then... half of them got a black wash and subsequently the colored washes, the other half I did the colors first and ended with the washes.
The difference is hardly noticeable.

White primer would have been perfect for making the colors stand out brightly. But... I decided I did not want to much vivid colors on my Z's, so I kept the colors on the clothes rather drab (except for some purple, I did not try out that color on any mini before)

I also added some gore/guts by mixing up a 'general purpose glue' (the clear transparant you can't use on polystyreen, around here we use: UHU or Velpon)
and some ecocline (even better to use is inkt or maybe paint). Mix and apply with a toothpick. You have to work fast cause the glue sets in a couple of minutes.

Posted Image
Edited by Bobscene, May 10 2018, 09:48 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Post Apoc Miniatures · Next Topic »
Add Reply