Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
irishserb's Terrain WIP Thread
Topic Started: Mar 10 2018, 01:40 AM (427 Views)
irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Figured I'd just start a single thread for these occasional photos of things, rather than starting a new one every time.

Anyway, working on modular walls for a scavenger village, here is what I started with Sunday night:

Posted Image

And after finishing outer skins of the walls Friday night:

Posted Image

They are for 28mm figs, the basic wall sections are 4 inches long and around 1 3/4 inches high, the posts range up to 2.25 inches high. The current plan is to fill the centers with blocks a foam and finish the top with a layer of ballast, rubble, and rocks. We'll see how that goes.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Wow, super nice touch with the rubble filling,

smart cause they look as if they actually could withstand some gunfire, in contrast to most of the corrugated fences you get to see.

Brummie
Member Avatar
Boss Sec Man
[ * ]
Looks good. I like the idea of the rubble filled walls. You could do wider and taller ones and be able to have figures atop them.

Or you could build some square corner posts with room for sentries.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Great idea. I like the rubble filled walls idea. How about a firing step? This will be a interesting thread.
Edited by mattblackgod, Mar 10 2018, 01:45 PM.

tinker
Member Avatar
CEO of "Rat-on-a-Stick" Industries
[ * ]
Awesome!! :pipboy:

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm working on two corner towers, and two raised fighting platforms now to add to it. Haven't settled on the arrangement of the main gate yet.

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
The parts now have primer drying on them, for painting later today. Here's a couple pics of progress:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll need to add a lot more junkiness, but this gives me a good base to start with. Next step will be scrap heaps and houses/huts, etc. Still gotta settle on a gate design too.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
The towers and firing steps look great. The foam filling on the walls looks very effective.

How about some slats between some of the walls inner posts to make impromptu ladders?

Gates are always a pain. A swing in one would be easily rammed open. A sliding gate may need a track to run in. Or a Max Max bus gate could be a alternative.
Edited by mattblackgod, Mar 11 2018, 05:35 PM.

Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
Man that's already looking great! Can't wait to see it painted and detailed.

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Thanks guys.

Originally I was thinking sliding gate suspended on an overhead roller system, but that would act like a hinge if rammed. The more I think about it, the Mad Max think might be the most practical, though not very original.

I like the ladder/slats idea, might have to add that in.

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Finally painted the base coat on the outer wall sections. Took all week, and I'm only just starting the weathering/rusting/crudding up process. Here is the current status:

Posted Image

I've still got almost all of the painting to do on the towers and fighting positions A least another week to complete what I've got so far.

tinker
Member Avatar
CEO of "Rat-on-a-Stick" Industries
[ * ]
:pipboy:

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Looking good.

Sinewgrab
Ghoul
[ * ]
This is looking friggin' awesome. Now I am starting to consider...hmm, yes, I could steal this idea. :)

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
You are not the only one! ;)

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Okay, finally got the walls done. Towers and inner buildings coming later, as the progress has been bumpy and time is short. Here are a couple of pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are a few more pics and my usual babbling on my blog at:

My Webpage

Thanks for the comments and suggestions along the way, and for taking a look in the first place.

irishserb

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
They look amazing, well done. One day I will be pinching this idea.

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
You sure take on some big projects.

What's more, you even finish them perfectly ! :hi:

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Here are some pics of an axillary hatch for an underground bunker that I made this week.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

terrain and concrete are blue foam; door, control panel and hatch are styrene sheet. It has only a minor role, but needed it for a game, so kept it pretty simple. If it ends up getting used more, I'll probably dress it up a bit.

Bobscene
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Perfect pro job, as usual.

Does this tile fit in with other tiles you made ?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Terrain WIP · Next Topic »
Add Reply