Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cheap, fast, easy rivet embossing
Topic Started: Dec 30 2017, 07:44 AM (68 Views)
johnmonster71
Ghoul
[ * ]
Howdy Guys,

Just want to share a quick method of embossing rivets. It was inspired by Sean Patten's method that can be found at his Necromundicon website. His method requires some fiddly filing that I was too lazy to try. So I decided to try shimming. You'll need a 1/16th inch hole punch for scrapbookers (about 4 USD at Hobby Lobby) and some plasticard, whatever thickness you prefer.

The hole punch has a "tongue", a springy metal piece that helps separate the paper or plastic from the stem of the punch. Just put a small piece of plasticard under the tongue and directly over the stem. Punch through it and the shim of plasticard will remain over the base of the stem, limiting the stroke.

When you squeeze the punch, the shim should prevent the stem from going completely through the material you are embossing. You will have to vary the shim thickness depending on what you are punching.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

You have to be careful not to oversqueeze or it might pop a hole instead of embossing. You'll feel the resistance of the shim and that's when to stop. You'll get nail-head style rivets rather than round, but they look as good as punched rivets that were glued down, and take a fraction of the time.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Cool idea. I have one of these I use to make rivets to glue on. It never occurred to me to use it this way. :D

tinker
Member Avatar
CEO of "Rat-on-a-Stick" Industries
[ * ]
Cool idea

Bobscene
Wastelander
[ * ]
That's the way I've been doing it: squeeze the hole punch gently as not to punch through.
Learned it from the same guy....great website. :drool:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Terrain Hints and Tips · Next Topic »
Add Reply