Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Star Fleet Battles Campaign
Topic Started: Jul 23 2017, 12:54 PM (49 Views)
irishserb
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Several weeks ago, an old friend and I decided to play a Star Fleet Battles campaign, and I have been frantically working on it ever since. Originally we expected to play most of it with counters, and hoped for the occasional miniatures battle, but I've made enough progress, that it looks like we may be able to do most of it with miniatures.

Most recently, I've been working on Kzintis, and finished painting the core of a Kzinti fleet. The painting is kind of basic, but here's a pic with a few more on my blog:

Posted Image

Kzinti Fleet

I've also set up a page to follow the campaign with links to related posts, currently just about preparation and painted ships, but in about a month, I expect to start posting about progress of the war. Not sure if I will do actual AARs, or just sort of news stories and whatnot about the battles. Anyway, the page is at:

Star Fleet Battles - The General War Campaign

Hope it might be of some interest, thanks for looking.

irishserb
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tinker
Member Avatar

[ * ]
Oooh nice!

Crazy Joe
Road Warrior
[ * ]
Much respect! Both for the number of miniatures and your wiliness to tackle those intricate rules.

irishserb
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Thanks guys.

Regarding the rules, we kind of cheated. We started way back when there was only the first boxed game with something like a 32 page rulebook including scenarios and whatnot. Added the three supplements one at a time, so a little more rules to add with each. maybe 10 pages of stuff. When the thee big rulebooks came out, we just added in a handful of rules from each, not learning a hole system, so it never seemed like that much to grasp.

We're still using a combo of the early rules, the 3 Captains books, and bits (mostly just a handful of ships) from some more recent supplements. It is kind of funny though. If you start out, trying to learn it from the rules, it is like 150 plus pages of actual rules to grasp, which seems crazy, but a huge portion of that can be taught in about 45 minutes by someone who already knows the game.

Tried Federation Commander once, which I think is a reasonable game if you never liked SFB, but after hundreds of games of SFB, FC feels like Chutes and Ladders.

Anyway, we're both stoked to finally be able to use miniatures for the game, plus we got the nostalgia thing going and all. Can't wait to blow up starships.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Nice stuff.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Sci-Fi · Next Topic »
Add Reply