Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Another nonsense rulesets thread; Help I have no free will
Topic Started: Jun 25 2017, 04:48 PM (333 Views)
brainglitch
Mutant
[ * ]
So I'm pretty new to the miniature gaming scene, but I'm super familiar with board wargames and RPGs. I've chosen 15mm because I'm poor as shit and it gives me a bit of variety for 28mm for my RPG stuff and 15mm for wargame stuff. Anyway! I'm trying to find a good Post Apocalypse ruleset and I've got my hands on ATZ FFO and I, Zombie (Haven't sprung for After The Horsemen yet), Wastelands 3 (thanks to MBG woop woop), and Nuclear Renaissance. I guess I'm sort of torn because one of the players I've been able to rope in to the hobby from the RPG world is pretty stoked about ATZ and enjoyed the test run we played. I definitely want to get going with that and try to somehow figure out how to do a co-op thing in THW properly. However, I also want adversarial stuff. I guess I'm being super picky or something, I dunno, but I'm wondering if I should just use ATZ for skirmish stuff or something else. I'm into WL3 and Nuclear Renaissance, and I love the campaign rules from WL3 but would need a pointer or two in terms of making that work with a human adversary in a campaign. I'm considering 5150, gruntz and Stargrunt II were maybes, and Necromunda seems like it's crunchy as shit. Help?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
It has been a while since I played WL3 but instead of what ever opponents the campaign rules throw at you, you use your opponents forces in the games.

In the actual game he/she controls their forces instead of you. As far as I remember the rules are intended for both solo and opponent games. Somewhere in my darkest memory I recall someone playing a three way game of WL3.

brainglitch
Mutant
[ * ]
Okay, that clears things up a bit. What rules are you using these days? Is the community revised Necromunda worth looking into? I'm really looking for campaign based skirmish stuff with a human opponent (at least usually) with hero/advancement stuff and vehicle rules. Scrappers and ATDE are cool, but lacking in the vehicles etc department.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Sadly I haven't gotten a game in a while.

I was using Neutronyork3000 rules, but there is only very basic vehicle rules. Not really a solo game but does have character & progression.

I am looking at Gorkamorka and Necromunda mix. The stats should copy easily into Gorkamorka. There are also other rules mixing the two sets out there such as Gangs of Nu Ork which would let you mix figures from across the 40K ranges and beyond. I use the alien races as dedicated stable mutations.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Another ruleset I have been looking at is Warlands. It is 20mm/hotwheels scale but does mix vehicles and infantry. No real progression rules as I remember (but I may be wrong) but you could easily knock some up. They should work nicely for 15mm scale too.

Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
For skirmishes I prefer WL3. For larger scale I use my home brew version of Pz8's Sci-Fi rules.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Post_Apoc_Wargames/topic/8091069/1/#new

brainglitch
Mutant
[ * ]
I'm thinking about This Is Not A Test because I LOVE the campaign system/advancement stuff. I would consider Nuclear Renaissance if I could arse how to convert those wonky ranges. I'm also really liking Tomorrow's War, but because I've got a lot of minis using pistols (for ATZ/Pulp stuff) I dunno if that'd be the best since the ranges/etc. are all kind of catered to squads with rifles and stuff. Maybe I'm overthinking that? I dunno. I'd like to play 15-20 figures-ish a side, so I don't know if TNT would be too heavy for that amount of figures but I dunno what to look for in terms of a larger scale game that'll also work with pistols and guys with axes and shields and stuff. Any suggestions?

Rych
Member Avatar
Time flies when your having Rum
[ * ]
I recommend Nuclear Renaissance , especially with its companion Tome of Tridlins , Curtis did a bang on job with that rule set

Carrakon
Member Avatar
Raider
[ * ]
Necromunda is my go-to game, as it's pretty simple to get into and after all these years there's a massive amount of scnarios and extra rules to cover just about anything. Rules are free, too, at Yaktribe.

Now it is geared towards 28mm but I can't see why it shouldn't work at 15mm. You could either just halve all ranges or imho use it as is, as gun-ranges tend to be outrageously short in 28mm games anyway.

Brummie
Member Avatar
Boss Sec Man
[ * ]
Across the Dead Earth is a fun ruleset. Its out of print but you can download the rules for free. Version 2 is in the works but unsure of a release date as yet.

https://www.deadearth.co.uk/product/across-the-dead-earth-pdf-rulebook/

robh
Vault Dweller
[ * ]
Brummie
Jan 2 2018, 07:39 PM
Across the Dead Earth is a fun ruleset. Its out of print but you can download the rules for free. Version 2 is in the works but unsure of a release date as yet.

https://www.deadearth.co.uk/product/across-the-dead-earth-pdf-rulebook/
AtDE would be my recommendation too, easy to follow and learn, good variation between the character types and great fun. Has an ongoing campaign aspect so characters develop new skills and improve as they go through the games.

Is pretty much independent of figure ranges and scales so would work with 15mm perfectly.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Rules discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply