Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
After: Tales of the Post Apocalypse; Stories from irishserb's post-apoc world
Topic Started: Jan 31 2017, 01:37 AM (1,054 Views)
irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Copied from my blog:

For quite some time, I've been working on a campaign set in a post apocalyptic world. Getting to the starting point has been a very slow process, but I am finally here. The following is an introduction to the post apocalyptic world in which my game campaign takes place:

_________

The world ended with a whimper. There was no single global event that placed its stamp on the end of the world. It was more of a drawn out unraveling of social order and structure. And while no single calamitous event could claim to be the cause, many predictions of the doom-sayers contributed to the collective failing of humanity.

As the world embraced technology, people found that through this technology, they had a voice. As it turned out, the loudest voices came from those who dissented the most. Thus, instead of bringing the world together as a global community, technology inadvertently succeeded in cutting the world up into an ever growing number of angry, fearful little islands.

This fragmentation had many negative effects, including that of disrupting productivity and trade, bringing about a global recession. The recession turned into depression, food and medicine became scarce, global famine and disease started to take a huge toll. Wars sprouted, governments failed, and nuclear weapons and all sorts of chemical and biological agents fell into the hands of feudal warlords. Chaos abounded, and many, many people died.

In the span of a generation, the many billions of earth's population were reduced to millions. To further compound humanity's problems, the abandoned and ruined remnants of man's enterprises brought about environmental catastrophes and geological anomalies, literally changing the face of the planet.

In the After, society ceased to exist.

But, alone and miserable, a few people somehow survived. And in time, a few, here and there, came together, and they began to rebuild the world. Rag-tag bands of scavengers grew into villages, incorporating tools and resources from the Before. In some places, villages grew into towns and even cities, and rarely, cities united and created loosely governed territories. And that is the state of world in the After.

_______

I've created a page on my blog that will have links to stories from my post-apoc games. Currently the introduction above is the only post and copied in entirety here. As I add posts to my blog, I will either link them in this thread or copy them here, if they aren't too long. With any luck, it will offer a moment of entertainment from time to time.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
Always goods to get a look at other gamers world. Looking forward to more posts.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Looks a good background and probably the most realistic.

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Introduced my first group of PA characters, from my blog:

I'm A Scout From Floyd ( A Post Apocalyptic Introduction from the After)

I was born in the After, so never knew the world Before. When I was real little, we had a hard time, trying to get enough food, and get drinkable water to keep us alive. Lot of people moved around, but we stayed in one place. My folks tried to protect our homes, mostly broken down shacks built in what was left from Before.

When I was about 8, my Pa got shot with an arrow. The nurse lady kept him from dying though. Well, sort of. He was never really the same afterwards, and he died about two or three years later. Things got better though. People worked together, things started to change.

My town is call Floyd. I know, sounds like a dude, but its a town, and now we do okay. We got water, food, schools, and even a clinic with a doctor. Its pretty safe now. Probably mostly because of the Confederation and Territorial Guard. Before that, things was a lot tougher; gangs would pass through killin' and takin' what they want. Lot of people died like my Pa. Happened pretty regular. But that all changed with the Confederation.

The Confederation has been trying to expand, trying to make people more civilized, maybe make it more like before. Before the end, I mean. And me, I'm a soldier in the Territorial Guard. Actually, I'm a scout. I like it; because, I get to ride around in a "Chupacabra", a little armored truck. We call it the "Goat".

More at:

I'm A Scout From Floyd

d6orDie
Vault Dweller
[ * ]
Love the theme and feel to these writings...

Brummie
Member Avatar
Boss Sec Man
[ * ]
Cool storylines.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Like the scout storyline.

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
I posted a brief "battle" report (more like an incident report) on my blog. A very small skirmish to test my rules and see if they shoot straight. Also, gave me an excuse to play with my new terrain.

Rules worked fine, but discovered that my new batch of flock is a lot lighter than my old stuff, which was kind of a bummer. Here's a couple of pics and the link below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My Webpage

Thanks for looking.

irishserb

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Looks a good game. Great looking board.

Shame about the flock shade. You will often see shade variations in nature. Maybe there is a slab of bed rock under it leading to shorter grass?

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Here is the Latest Story and a couple of the pics copied from my blog:

Posted Image

A Visit With The Scavs

Every now and then, we bump into the Scavs. Sometimes we check on 'em, see if they're okay, if they have anything new to trade, and what news they might have. Other times we just happen into 'em, like today. They seem to get everywhere and know everything that happens in the wastes. Heck, they often know more about what we're doing, than we do.

The Scavs aren't part of the Confederation. They're too tribal for that; plus, they don't completely trust us. But they have helped us in the past, and we try to help them, usually.

They don't tend to grow or raise too much, at least not like we do, but they find stuff, and build things too. The scavs live in the old ruins out east, and live kind of rough, building makeshift houses out of the ruins and rubble. They say that they stay free that way. Mostly good people, but kinda crazy, little scary sometimes.

Anyway, we arrived at the old gas station, off of the old high way. And some of the scavs were there, doin' their thing. Seems they had a run in with somebody and killed a man. I went out with a couple of them and checked the body. Kind of a big guy, but nothing special. Typical rifle and personal items, but don't know who he was, or who he was with. The scav's took his stuff, buried him.

The "Captain" was there, don't know if that's his rank or his name, and we shared the latest news with him. He said that some travelers from way out east said that the Greenies are spreading. He also said some travelers claimed to have been chased by some sort of robot soldiers, while rooting around some old-time government place up north. Said they lost some folk. He told a good story, ain't no more robots after the end, though. Not for a long time.

Told him how we had 'lectricity in several Confederation towns now. He laughed, didn't believe us. Said 'lectricity is like robots, don't happen after the end. And, said he still ain't joining the Confederation, even if it was true 'bout the 'lectricity.

Shanie was with him, they call her "Princess". One of their best trackers, showed us a gun that she found. A real beast, looks like it might shoot through our armor. Shanie is one of the toughest guys you ever gonna meet. When she was a kid, bandits attacked and killed her family. She was maybe 12. Killed seven of 'em, before they gave up trying to get her. She is real smart, invisible quiet, and a great shot. Might be kinda pretty too, if she'd ever take a bath.

We traded the Captain some medicine for some 'lectric parts they found somewhere, and some books, and we headed out. It was a good visit.

Posted Image

More pics, and a little commentary on my blog at:

My Webpage

Hope it might be of some interest, thanks for looking.

irishserb

tinker
Member Avatar
CEO of "Rat-on-a-Stick" Industries
[ * ]
Thanks for sharing this Irish. Its nice to see some action.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Great report. Ace board and minis.

Thanks for sharing.

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Okay, one more before the holidays end. Copied from my blog:

The Ambush

On the way back from the visit with the scavs, the Goat ran into an ambush. Here is Charley's take on it:

"We was comin' back from the scavs, when we found a wreck on the road, that hadn't been there before. We saw the smoke some ways out, and scanned it through the imager. Couldn't really see anything but a wreck and some smoke. Panky decided to approach slowly, keeping an eye out for a likely ambush.

Posted Image

When we got there, Panky sent me out to take a look, and sure enough...ambush. "You can just stop right there, drop your're weapons, and get out that truck." The voice came from the right, and I just dropped. The voice fired, Panky had the turret on auto, the gun burped and just liquefied the voice.

Then the goat took fire from two others, Panky took a hit in the vest, got really pissed, let the auto-engage go, and just shot the hell out of everything. I just laid there like a rug.

The last guy tried to surrender, but Panky wasn't taking prisoners today, so that didn't work out so well for him. The goat shredded him too, not sure that Panky really wanted to do that; I think the auto-engage just got away from her. Either way, Panky was wired, and just started yelling at me for being useless. I asked her if the auto-engage was off; she didn't seem to 'preciate that much, but I didn't want to get shredded too. She confirmed, and I searched the splats for anything interesting.

Posted Image

Turned out to just be some gangers. Musta saw our dust cloud, and thought that they'd rustle up some new wheels. They musta been stupid or something, 'cause they clearly didn't stand a chance against the goat with what they had.

Anyway, the whole thing put Panky in a crap mood for the rest of the trip. Guess she just don't like killing people, even when they got it coming. We just stayed quiet 'till we got back, reported on the scavs and ambush, and then I went off to clean up and get some chow."
_____

There are a few more pics on my blog at:

The Ambush

Sorry, I'm too lazy to copy them all over here.

Thanks for looking,

irishserb

tinker
Member Avatar
[ * ]
The "Goat" is a very PA vehicle, and would be a very useful tool on the table.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Great report. I need a goat.

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Just posted the latest installment, "The Old Man and the Turtle" on my blog:

The old man was always amazed at how stiff his joints had become as he aged, especially in the morning, even after a restful night's sleep. Amazed at how his fingers seemed to have a will of their own, when he commanded them to bend.

He sat up in bed, taking a moment to realize when and where he was. He felt a touch of comfort, when he realized that he needn't get ready and go to the university to teach. Instead he would wonder around the wastes, looking for food, or useful things, or whatever he might find. It was far more exciting than teaching at the University.

For an old man, living in the post apocalypse, he did alright. He lived alone, mostly, and had more comfort than most in this day and age.

Posted Image

More story and pics on my blog at:

The Old Man and the Turtle

Hope it is of interest, thanks for looking.

tinker
Member Avatar
[ * ]

Interesting little incident with the Old Man and the Turtle... I wonder what the woman wanted?

mr wasteland
Member Avatar
Vault Dweller
[ * ]
I like it. Looking forward for next chapter

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
I've posted some background fluff for a new faction in my post-apoc campaign on my website, here's a bit of it:

"Lt. Rogers switched the audio jammer on, and turned, looking at the group of men that he had called together. These men, huddled together in his cramped quarters were all good men; they did their jobs well, and were dedicated to their cause.

All of them also had expertise in the wastes; at least, more than most living in the Colorado Region Federal Defense Complex (the CRFDC or "complex' as most referred to it). This made them unique in that they had a broader perspective of the of the post apocalyptic world outside, broader than that of their own leadership, most of whom, hadn't ever stepped outside the hatch."

If interested, there is more at:

My Webpage

No photos in this installment, but some should be coming soon.

Thanks for looking,
irishserb

irishserb
Super Mutant
[ * ]
Posted part 2 of the current adventure on my blog.

Quote:

The mission involved finding an entrance to an abandoned research bunker located southwest of the complex, make contact with any squatters, and identify materials to be recovered. The team will be extracted five days after insertion.

In the past the team would have had its own wheels, but things had changed since that day with captain Martell. The team would be delivered to the target area, left on their own to complete the mission, and then picked up. To keep track of things, the team would report to HQ each evening.

Posted Image

More on my blog at:

Finding a New Home Part2

Thanks for looking.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · P.A. Campaigns and Batreps · Next Topic »
Add Reply