Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
"Bleaching" clothes
Topic Started: Apr 25 2016, 10:58 PM (376 Views)
Wiggles
Member Avatar
Super Mutant
[ * ]
So, the first bunch of zombies have entered the paint queue and for now I think I've going to just give them nice solid block colours and highlight then maybe try out that army Army Painter dip thing (I saw a video and it seems to work) but for future zombies I want to "bleach" a lot of their clothes.

Posted Image

So looking at this pic, the zombie in the centre left is clearly wearing what was once a yellow dress, now bleached and covered in grime. I was wondering if anyone could think of an effective way to simulate that. Should I mix yellow with a little brown, very light brown drybrush? Would that work with the dip? Should I use a brown wash instead?

In fact, whats the difference between using the dip and just using a sepia wash? Any general pointers on using the army painter dip?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Inkwell
Member Avatar
Toenail cutter / Tin can licker
[ * ]
I have never dipped but I have heard you grab the base and dunk the inverted mini in the "dip". Give her a little shake to get the dew off it and sit it down to dry.Often they manipulate the pooling dip with a brush for advantage. The main difference between a wash and a brush applied dip is the viscosity and washes are usually applied to a specific area color coordinated where as the dip is a shotgun of shadow. Dips are quick, they seal and shade all in one fell swoop. A lot of people like it ,there is only one way to find out :)
There are a lot of ways to get that dress ,personally I would mix a warm brown with yellow as a base coat adding yellow in layers and finish with a sandy yellow for the extreme high lights. Maybe a yellow ish brown glaze to tie it all together .

TheMightyFlip
Member Avatar
Cannie!
[ * ]
Dipping is one of the worst things you can do, its gloops at the base of the miniature, so you have to brush it around. Your better off just brushing the wash on.

Mr. Clean
Member Avatar
Wasteland Legend/Cat Skinner/Bad Speller/Super Nice Guy B^)
[ * ]
I have used AP dip.

Brush it on, dipping is Fer fools!

So says Mr. CLEAN!
Edited by Mr. Clean, May 28 2016, 03:18 AM.

Brummie
Member Avatar
Boss Sec Man
[ * ]
The Army painter tone washes are fab. I painted up 30 mantic zombies in no time at all using them over just basecoats.

http://brummieswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/mantic-zombies.html

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Miniatures Hints and Tips · Next Topic »
Add Reply