Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mattblackgod's Road Warrior car; 20mm madness
Topic Started: Jan 17 2016, 05:07 PM (1,116 Views)
mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
For my Warlord's 2016 challenge entry I have decided to make a Road Warrior Rig for my Blood and Fire setting.

Last year I stumbled upon a Hotwheels Ford XB cheaply on evilbay. Over the Christmas holidays I drilled out the rivets and stripped it down. It now lies in this state.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So what next for this car? Well a wheel swap is on the cards. Low Profiles look a bit naff on a car which will live on rough roads. I also want to build the front sloping grill for it for that interceptor look.

I have a Warlands blower. The bonnet/hood will be drilled out to take the blower. At the rear I want to add the tanks and luggage. The problem is that hotwheels cars is that the rear assembly post is situated there. It will require a bit of messing about to sort it. The boot will need removing too so I can add the tanks.

This is going to be a interesting build I think.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Work has commenced slowly on the Hotwheels Ford XB. The new wheels have been attached to the chassis. As the car model featured low rider tubbed wheels I have had to use bits of balsa to space the skinnier wheels out.
Posted Image

As you can see the wheels need a little tweaking. That said I bet those wasteland roads are murder on a cars tracking! The front bumper has been removed ready for the sloping front panel.

Another alternative for the front is the remove the grill and lights. Then it is fairly simple to make the square lamps for the Interceptor look later in Mad Max 2/Road Warrior.

Posted Image
The Blower and Tank are Warlands items. For now they are resting in place until I get further into the build. The rear bulkhead, boot and window has been removed to take the tank. A bit of work (read as chopped out) to the boot floor has to be done to make the tank sit lower.

Posted Image
I snapped the rear bumper during removal. Whoops. Still its a Post Apoc ride and it adds to the look.

The front needs sorting, the wheel arches need flaring (putty) and the exhausts need making.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
No pics at the moment. Just a quickie (ooh err!).

Finally I have managed a little hobby time. I have attempted to sculpt the wheel arch flares and they need a little sanding. They aren't the best looking things but as this will be a wasteland vehicle it doesn't have to be perfect.

The brass wire finally arrived and I am going to have a go at making the exhausts. Then it is the front panel. Thankfully the Wasteland version doesn't have a front skirt. Just as well, those dirt roads would destroy it pretty quickly. I also need to try to find a way to make the spoiler/aerofoil on the back of the roof.

I am tempted to remove the glass and fit mesh to the car as my own embellishment.

This challenge has fired up another couple of conversion ideas. I would like to build the chase car from the opening scene of Mad Max 2 using another tubbed muscle car and a Wasteland Baja Beetle from a VW in my collection. Whilst my insane mind is ticking over I would like a red baddy car from MM2 (the one Max shoot the driver of and then gets smashed by the rig) and the Razor Kola. Both cars will require me finding two more hotwheels Falcon XBs.

Keep an eye open for future conversion threads.

tinker
Member Avatar
CEO of "Rat-on-a-Stick" Industries
[ * ]
Looking really good! I like the wheel height...

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Cheers Tinker, I wanted the vehicle to look like it would cope on rougher roads rather than just the old blacktop.

london1662
Member Avatar
Cannie!
[ * ]
Looking really cool Warlord, :yes:

ConfusedDad
Member Avatar
Vault Dweller
[ * ]
Can't wait to see this one painted up. You've really captured "the last of the V-8 Interceptors" look!

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Cheers....more bits done.
Posted Image

Posted Image

More filling and sanding needed.

tinker
Member Avatar
CEO of "Rat-on-a-Stick" Industries
[ * ]
Nice addition of the jerry cans. Where are those from?

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Um... I have forgotten. It's a ww2 cargo set. I will go check ebay.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Tinker - they are resin items by Fields of Victory for WW2 Allies Vehicles. I got a set on evilbay for £8 which will do lots of vehicles.

london1662
Member Avatar
Cannie!
[ * ]
MBG what scale are those bit's mate.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
1/72 or 20mm.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
For the Challenge I have been working on making a Road Warrior Car for my Blood and Fire setting. To be exact a rebuilt Fury Road variant of the Interceptor. In the fill in the gaps graphic novel Max rebuilds a Interceptor from bits he scavenges or wins in contests.

Posted Image
Since the last report work has been slowly moving forward in the painting. I am glad to say that the car is finished.

Posted Image
The not Max figure is The Stranger from the Warlands range by Aberrant Games .

Posted Image
The tank and blower are items from Warlands. The resin stowage and jerry cans are made by Fields Of Glory and are intended for 1:72 WW2 Allied vehicles. The exhausts are made from 1mm brass wire bent to fit.

Posted Image

Posted Image
I am not too happy with the scratch made front panel. However this is the rebuilt wasteland (Fury Road) version of the Interceptor so I wont lose sleep over it.

This was a fun and interesting build for me and I have learnt a few new techniques for future post apoc car builds.

Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
Pretty sweet! The exhausts and gear are great touches.

Hollander
Member Avatar
Wasteland Warrior
[ * ]
:excited: great model! :camera:

:cheers:

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Cheers guys. :cheers:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Warlord's 2016 Challenge · Next Topic »
Add Reply