Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
MBG's elevated living accommodation *finished*; Finished!
Topic Started: Sep 1 2014, 10:07 PM (1,459 Views)
mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
I think it's time to throw my hat into the ring for several reasons.

1. I want to :D
2. I think competitions help sharpen your skill set
3. Competitions help keep interaction and community spirit flowing.
4. It's my forum, so if I can't be bothered why should anyone else? :D

There is lots of things you could make for this competition. All it needs is elevation of some sort.

So what have I in mind for this competition? I had a few ideas and I might pursue them if I get time. For now I am thinking of some sort of raised living accommodation such as a shack on stilts/legs or a shelter built on top of a ruin. It's something I have fancied making for some time now. Let's face it most PA settings have horrible critters creeping about after dark so it makes sense to be safely above them.

Now to start the planning phase...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Moramarth
Coldheart
[ * ]
Quote:

Let's face it most PA settings have horrible critters creeping about after dark so it makes sense to be safely above them.

But then you're closer to the things that fly about in the dark... :fright:

Cheers,

M

HVNSNTSOLDIER
Member Avatar
Coldheart
[ * ]
@Moramarth: But those are the beasties with the best protein, and they cook really good on the open flame spicket, rotisserie style! Mmmmmm, roasted bloatfly :P

@MBG: Might I suggest looking into tropical stilted shelters, perhaps some of the Chinese style coastal dock housings? Oooh, maybe a stilt house city built up like Kowloon? That would be insane!

eilif
Raider
[ * ]
Elevated living conditions. You're thinking practically and sensibly, excellent. Just what's needed to survive in the hard times to come.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
You can make a hole in the floor for dumping on anything passing under. :lol:

Hollander
Member Avatar
Wasteland Warrior
[ * ]
mattblackgod
Sep 4 2014, 07:05 PM
You can make a hole in the floor for dumping on anything passing under. :lol:
:coffee: It will be interesting to see if and how you will model the heap of dumped "material" beneath the hole. :devilsong:

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
I should stop painting minis and make a start on this competition..... :lol:

HVNSNTSOLDIER
Member Avatar
Coldheart
[ * ]
Yeah, that would probably be good Warlord lol

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
So on with this WIP. My vision for this one is a shack built on top of a ruin.

Posted Image
Basic building materials. 5mm thick blue foam and our old friend the old CD.

Posted Image
I painstakingly drew the bricks on using a pencil. The trick to this is to go over the bricks a couple of times with the pencil to get that worn brickwork. I also distressed it with various items (read as whalloped it) to make the bricks look rough. The posts are there to support the shelter that will go above the ruin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still a fair bit to do on this one. Keep watching.

HVNSNTSOLDIER
Member Avatar
Coldheart
[ * ]
If left exposed, maybe sanded a bit, that duct tape would make for an interesting textured walkway/road leading into the ruin. Maybe an old fraying rug? Very nice start MBG! Can't wait to see more of this!

Hollander
Member Avatar
Wasteland Warrior
[ * ]
Interesting use of the duct tape..and I admire the brickwork..simple and effective but somehow I never pull it off... you do. Well done.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
@HVNT I like the rug idea. I usually just put dirt over it. I may look at making a rug now.

@Hollander - my bricks are over scale. 10mm long by 5mm high. Use a ruler and pencil the grid in. Don't forget to stagger the brick lines by half a brick length on each line. Once done go over the brickwork with the pencil free hand. It makes it look worn.

tinker
Member Avatar
CEO of "Rat-on-a-Stick" Industries
[ * ]
For brick it might be out of scale, but it isn't if ya scale 'em as concrete blocks, 8"x8"x16" :lol:

HVNSNTSOLDIER
Member Avatar
Coldheart
[ * ]
Tink's got a point there. This could be painted up like one of those concrete sheds to protect a water pump station, or a household's personal panic room/bomb shelter.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Or a reinforced outhouse for the aftermath of "curry night" :lol:

Hollander
Member Avatar
Wasteland Warrior
[ * ]
mattblackgod
Sep 16 2014, 07:22 PM
Or a reinforced outhouse for the aftermath of "curry night" :lol:
There is idea to step up methane production.. Da power outhouse.. Note to self: Build a chili vendor as part of of the Balloon station.

eilif
Raider
[ * ]
Looking good. Can't wait to see what the upper floor will look like.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Just a quick update on my Elevated Living Accommodation piece.

I have done some work on the base trimming the duct tape so I can attempt a frayed mat look. My standard mix of sand, grit, kitty litter and cork covers the rest of the base.

Posted Image
As you can see from the pictures I have added cross pieces and supports to the posts. These are balsa wood that has had grain added with a pencil (a little tip picked up from Dampf's execellent terrain making books). The nails are punched card.

Posted Image
The remains of the drain pipe was also added.

Posted Image
I have done a little filling with good old fashioned cheap and nasty wall filler available in the DIY section of all good cheapo stores.

Posted Image
The flooring has been made from scraps of balsa I had laying about. The planks, grain, nails and rough ends has been added with a pencil. They need a little more work before painting. The flooring will not be added until I have painted the base and walls. I find it a pain to try to paint detail when there is limited room.

More to follow. Keep watching....

eilif
Raider
[ * ]
Keep it up!

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Time for the next update of my Elevated Living Accommodation entry. I have not had much time or energy to work on hobby stuff over the last couple of weeks. Work has been a treadmill and there is a nasty bug rampaging around the wastes here.

Posted Image

I have painted up the base and walls.

Posted Image
The shack on top has been carefully crafted from scraps laying about. It will be painted next. I don't usually work this way but I wanted to get the inaccessible parts painted.

Posted Image
There is still glue drying on the shack. It needs lots more detail adding before I add the roof.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Details of the rug on the floor. It needs a couple of washes to tone it down I think. Plenty of time for that later.

Looking at the pictures there are a few details I have missed in paint. I will pick these up when I paint the shack.

Any comments or ideas?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2014 terrain comp WIP · Next Topic »
Add Reply