Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Moist Palette - great painting tip; great for lazy painters!
Topic Started: Oct 20 2013, 11:01 PM (280 Views)
Ninjamonkey73
Raider
[ * ]
I picked up an amazing tip on some random YouTube painting tutorial video.

All you need is a normal kitchen sponge, a small plastic-ware dish slightly bigger than the sponge, and some parchment paper. Note that you can NOT use waxed paper; it must be unwaxed parchment paper. You can get it in the baking section at the grocery store.

It's pretty simple. You put the sponge in the plastic container and pour a small amount of filtered or purified water (you don't want all the random minerals from tap water) on to the sponge... just enough so that the sponge gets wet and some water collects at the bottom of the container. It doesn't need to be a swimming pool.

Then you cut out a piece of parchment paper roughly the same size as the sponge, and set it down on the sponge. Rub it gently so that the water from the sponge moistens the paper. It may curl up; if this happens, flip it over and rub the other side.

The water in the sponge will automatically be drawn into the parchment paper by osmosis, keeping it moist. Science! :D

Just pour a small amount of paint on the parchment and the power of Science will keep your paints from drying out! There's plenty of room on the parchment for two or three colors to be on there at once, so you can tackle several colors at once. The best part? You can put a lid on the plastic container and then go watch a movie or something... your paint will still be moist when you take the lid off!

(But if you wander off and don't come back for like 5 days, the paint *may* run over the edge of the parchment paper and get into your sponge!)

I hope that this helps some of you as much as it helped me.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RavenFeast
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
I shall give this a try. Thanks!

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Great idea. I will give this a whirl.

tinker
Member Avatar

[ * ]
I bought one of these at the local "Hobby Lobby," and never really used it.

johnmonster71
Ghoul
[ * ]
I can't paint without a wet palette. I use the sandwich containers with silicone seals that snap closed. They run about 5 bucks American. Started with one, now I have about five and most of them in current use at any given time. Instead of a sponge I use square napkins, the kind of el cheapo ones that come in a bale for about a buck and a half. Having tried the roll parchment paper, I now use the flat sheets. So much easier to handle. I made a template of the inside of the containers and just cut out enough paper and napkins to last weeks. Never had issues with mold, and I can go weeks without a change. Sometimes the edges of the parchment paper curl up and start to dry while I'm painting. To combat this, instead of cutting it square I make it rectangular, about an inch extra on opposite sides. I then fold the ends over so it's square and put the flaps under the napkin layer. Once wet, the tendency to curl is greatly reduced.

Found out about these on Tabletop Minions YouTube channel. I was so excited about them I made ten (with the cheapo disposable sandwich containers) and took them to my FLGS to pass out to fellow painters.

They've improved my painting in ways I can't describe. Worth a try for anyone.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Miniatures Hints and Tips · Next Topic »
Add Reply