Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wastelands 3 Rulebooks
Topic Started: Apr 11 2012, 11:08 PM (5,675 Views)
dicehead
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
Thanks to the admins for distributing copies, here's some working links for anyone wanting to download the rules.

Posted Image

Rules and Rosters

Wastelands 3 Rulebook

Roster Sheet

Fillable Roster Sheet

Optional Extras

Extended Stuff

Cult of Radiation PDF

Cult of Radiation DOC

Edited by dicehead, Apr 24 2012, 02:26 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Cool! Now we can find it all!

Crazy Joe
Merc
[ * ]
Nice! Thanks for linking this all together.

Rad Blight
Member Avatar
Wasteland Warrior
[ * ]
Yeah.

dogmrian
Member Avatar
wastleland bard
[ * ]
yes, it finally works first time :(|party:
it's good to see these rules haven't died and are continuing to expand
keep up the good work dice head
:pipboy:

Inkwell
Member Avatar
Toenail cutter / Tin can licker
[ * ]
Well done! Lots of intresting stuff!

dicehead
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
Cheers, for anyone interested there's going to be a much better but smaller version soon-ish. Here's what's happening with it and why it has a lot more content for a lot less printing!

No factions: Instead choose traits for your gang. Take negative traits to gain more positives. For example Road Warriors could take expert driving, mechanics and expert scouting as well as limited territory and code of honour. This cuts out about a third of the rulebook size and is a whole lot more fun.

Re-Balancing: Units now require upkeep and there's a limit to how many you can have to prevent things becoming too easy later in the campaign.

Simplified Missions and Events: One modular table generates missions, road missions and events. You'll never roll a result that has no effect meaning no wasted campaign turns.

Failed Scouting: A failed scouting roll now means your scouts ran into a patrol and must fight a preliminary battle prior to you deciding if you'll invade. Sending nothing but fodder units out to scout is no longer such a great idea!

There's some other good stuff but these are the bits that I think will make the most difference to the game. I'll be posting up some batreps soon.
Edited by dicehead, Apr 16 2012, 11:21 AM.

tinker
Member Avatar

[ * ]
Failed Scouting preliminary battling sounds like a pretty good idea... especially for us Solo players :lol:

Crazy Joe
Merc
[ * ]
dicehead
Apr 16 2012, 11:19 AM
Cheers, for anyone interested there's going to be a much better but smaller version soon-ish. Here's what's happening with it and why it has a lot more content for a lot less printing!

No factions: Instead choose traits for your gang. Take negative traits to gain more positives. For example Road Warriors could take expert driving, mechanics and expert scouting as well as limited territory and code of honour. This cuts out about a third of the rulebook size and is a whole lot more fun.

Re-Balancing: Units now require upkeep and there's a limit to how many you can have to prevent things becoming too easy later in the campaign.

Simplified Missions and Events: One modular table generates missions, road missions and events. You'll never roll a result that has no effect meaning no wasted campaign turns.

Failed Scouting: A failed scouting roll now means your scouts ran into a patrol and must fight a preliminary battle prior to you deciding if you'll invade. Sending nothing but fodder units out to scout is no longer such a great idea!

There's some other good stuff but these are the bits that I think will make the most difference to the game. I'll be posting up some batreps soon.
No factions? :'( I kind of liked those. The problem with spending points, is the min/maxer who creates too powerful a force by playing the rules rather than playing the game.

I like the failed scouting idea. Another option for failed scouting might be, "that the scout leads a hostile army right back to the gangs territories".

Hope you keep the upkeep rules simple. One of the things I like about Wastelands is the lack of bookkeeping.

Finally, did you ever make a determination about one Aimed Shot being less viable than two Standard Shots.

dicehead
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
I think you'll like the replacement for factions, you have much more control over what your gang is like now. Its hard to eliminate people playing the rules but its a much more level playing field with the changes I'm trying out.

There's a chance of what you said with scouting. Basically if you flee from a scouting mission any unit that rolls a 1 is not only killed but leads them straight to a randomly chosen piece of your territory.

Yeah don't worry, I hate having to track a lot of stuff too so the upkeep is dead simple. 1 for a dreg or civ, 3 for the rest, 5 for a hero and 10 for a vehicle. Resource rates have been tweaked to match.

The combat rules haven't really changed. If I've got a powerful weapon I tend to go for aimed shots with it when I can but sometimes I just don't trust my dice luck and prefer two goes at it. Even if you're always better off with two standard shots I still like having the option to go for an aimed shot when it feels right. I'm not sure what the fix would be to it but I'm open to suggestions.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Sounds interesting Dicey!

Crazy Joe
Merc
[ * ]
For the Aimed Shot option I remember someone suggesting that in addition to +1 to hit it also added +1 to weapon power. I liked that idea, but have not play tested it.

An option I have used for long barreled weapons in my Car Wars games is that aiming gives a bonus to hit and also extends the range of the weapon by a few inches.

For Wastelands I would recommend extending the range of all weapons by 3” to 4” for an Aimed Shot. This keeps the Sniper Rifle from having too great a range extension, but adds a nice range increment to shorter ranged weapons that could give the wielder a good, but not overwhelming, advantage.

dicehead
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
I think adding power bonuses to weapons might be too powerful. The difference between a shotgun (power 2) and a sawn-off shotgun (power 3) is pretty significant. I think upping that with aimed shots would lead to too many guaranteed kill situations but it would be a nice way to reflect shots being more accurate and hitting people in the head etc.

I'm going to playtest the extra range and see how that goes, that seems the best option so far. I might try it with it adding +D6 range first and see how that goes. It might be a pain having to keep roll for it, if so I'll try a fixed value because I can see that working nicely.

Cheers for the ideas, all suggestions welcome!
Edited by dicehead, Apr 17 2012, 06:30 PM.

Crazy Joe
Merc
[ * ]
Increasing a weapons range by 1d6 for an Aimed Shot feels a little too random. Since range measurements are taken after a player has committed to an Aimed Shot the random roll could very well negate the characters action if a 1 or 2 is rolled and the target was 3” over the initial range of the weapon.

A consistent measurement of 3” to 4” would allow a player to “eye ball” the shot before committing to an Aimed Range shot thus making his action more likely to be effective.

nb246
Member Avatar
Wastelander
[ * ]
DICEHEAD IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!! Yesssssss!

Legionnaire
Member Avatar
Wasteland Warrior
[ * ]
Welcome back DiceHead!!!

Have to give the "new" rules a browse and a try-out. Really liked the previous versions and your KISS-approach (Keep It Simple Stupid!) to the rules.

dicehead
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
Cheers guys!

Madmex
Mutant
[ * ]
Do you have stats for the cult master? Thanks

tinker
Member Avatar

[ * ]
Madmex,

Appears like you found an overlooked stat line... I recommend using a similar stat line, maybe a "Shaman".

These are rules written on paper not on stone :) Let us know what your using!

dicehead
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
That would work, I think it should have been a warlord with the diplomacy skill.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Wasteland Rules · Next Topic »
Add Reply