Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2 years late - but finished!.
Topic Started: Jan 23 2012, 11:07 AM (1,426 Views)
v_lazy_dragon
Member Avatar
Enforcer
[ * ]
Or in other words, I fianlly get around to doing my damned sea wolf boat 23 days after the challenge finishes....

I've been meaning to do something for this that I could use for BritApoc sea wolves, but question has always been 'What?'... I've thought about buying a tug, or an ornamental fishing boat model and hacking it up... but ever since I've thought about those, I've not seen anything suitable about. I've had a colonial side wheel river steamer sat around for even longer, a hangover from my Pulp gaming days, and it's been sat looking folornly looking at me for a while . I've often thought 'has that got potential'... but I keep thinking it looks worng... somewhere, something wasn't quite right. and whilst feeling Ill last week it finally hit me... it had no sides. Now, I know at all rive4r boats have sides, but most do - and if this thing was going to be used on the seas, then it definitely would!

So, out came the thick card, the PVA, and et voila - we have progress... Instead of being a side wheel river boat, it's now a side wheel tug boat... which was probably sat in some small welsh port, derelict and rusting away for about 10-15 years before the apocalypse. but hey, in a land where coal is cheap, it's usddenly come back into it's own :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Still a lot of work to go - There will be tires on the sides of the paddle houses, to protect against bumps, hopefully a ladder up to a small sandbagged firing position ontop of the cabin, a jolly roger flag for the rear flag pole, and some sort of gun mounted on a platform in the bows... not sure what yet. Maybe one of the Pulp figures 37mm guns and their merhcant crew, or IIRC Brigade do a Maxim and merchant marine crew which would also suit. Eitherway this should be providing some frie support and ferrying brutal sea raiders to plunder the rich (?) soft (?!) lands of the west country coast...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tinker
Member Avatar

[ * ]
That's brilliant in it's simplicity Zander, and the name of the ship is already on the bow!

v_lazy_dragon
Member Avatar
Enforcer
[ * ]
I hadn't thought of that Tink! lol

I was thinking of either a fairly obscure reference to an actual colonial river steamer, or calling it Alexa, after a Billy Joel song...

sindex
Member Avatar
Ghoul
[ * ]
Very nice. Id say that'll be brilliant finished. Cant wait.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Ahh the good ship Sainsburies! :D

Great start. I look forward to seeing it develop!

Mr. Clean
Member Avatar
Wasteland Legend/Cat Skinner/Bad Speller/Super Nice Guy B^)
[ * ]
Cool!

Just dont take it into the tub with you.

Brian

Brummie
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
lol very cool HMS Sainsbury's

v_lazy_dragon
Member Avatar
Enforcer
[ * ]
I've been trying to decide what to do about arming this little boat.... part of me recons I should, and to use this as some sort of additonal fire support for my sea wolves; but I'm also aware that it'd cut down on the amount of room to transport raiders...

Now, if I was to arm it, I was thinking of either this MG team from Brigade game:
Posted Image

or this gun gew with the 37mm cannon from Pulp figures (but as I'd have to buy the gun pack this is starting to get expensive...):
Posted Image
Posted Image

The other option is, instead of using the pulp figures gun I could use one of these from Grand manner:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Which ever way I went, the gun would be mounted in the prow, possibly on a slightly raised platform to give it a better field of fire. I think the 2 Grand manner guns are both a bit OTT for this little boat, but thought I'd include them anyway...

Sooo... what do you folks recon?

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
What about something a bit more modern? A GPMG or a .50cal. Or a M60? Big guns are great but a machine gun will probaly be a realistic and pretty devistating in the PA world.

v_lazy_dragon
Member Avatar
Enforcer
[ * ]
A good point - and yeah, most of the weapons there are fairly aged.... Hmmmm, I've still got that 20mm cannon you sent me a while ago... might see if I can rig that up on a suitable mount...

v_lazy_dragon
Member Avatar
Enforcer
[ * ]
As an update... had a play around nthe hobby room this morning, and found a 1/48 'genera-HMG' (It is supposed to be a .50, but doesn't look much like one) which I've managed to rig up in a mount; and I've added a raised 'fighting platform' in the bow of the boat, so that the gun can actually shoot over the side...

HVNSNTSOLDIER
Member Avatar
Coldheart
[ * ]
Absolutely beautiful build so far VLD! Love the Victorian Science Fiction games, and this battle tug fits the bill for victorian ingenuity and jury rigging very nicely. Keep up the awesome work man.

v_lazy_dragon
Member Avatar
Enforcer
[ * ]

The forward platform has been built, I've pretty much finished working on the HMG for it, so there should be a couple of updated pictures in the next few days :)

Digitarii
Member Avatar
Survivalist
[ * ]
You're not the only one late on this one...I started working on my PA Barge/Landing Craft back in October and just got some additional parts to continue work on it yesterday. I'm going to be using the LAM ship's crew for mine.

Mr. Clean
Member Avatar
Wasteland Legend/Cat Skinner/Bad Speller/Super Nice Guy B^)
[ * ]
Great Xander!

Your making me want to work on my boat!

v_lazy_dragon
Member Avatar
Enforcer
[ * ]
Here's an updated picture of thee ship in its basic paint job - I need to add stowarge, and tyres to the sides of the paddles, as well as thinking up a name, then can see about weathering it properly...
Posted Image

Here's the HMG awaiting a suitable ammo-box...
Posted Image

And something else wwhich maay become scenery or be 'water lined' to make another boat:
Posted Image

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
Your vessel is looking good. How about The Severn Queen or Avon Queen as a name?

I love that other boat. I will be interested to see what becomes of that.

v_lazy_dragon
Member Avatar
Enforcer
[ * ]
Severn Queen is a good idea - I like that...

tinker
Member Avatar

[ * ]
Your boat project painted up nicely Xander, kudos!

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
If you make the gun fittings and storage removable you may be able to use this in other settings such as Pulp, Mulp, VSF etc.

Other boat Names that spring to mind are: Bristol queen (although you may get a lot of "Hello Sailor!"), Severn Dragon

Check out the numbers on local boats too. They have a area marking and number. Its usually a pair of letters and a number.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2011 Challenge · Next Topic »
Add Reply