Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car War or Warlands?
Topic Started: Nov 4 2011, 12:21 AM (1,416 Views)
tikiphantom
Member Avatar
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Ok, I was wondering what everyone thought? Is Car Wars a better game with all it's resources or is Warlands with it's figures and cinamatic rules?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
I love Car Wars, and have written many articles around using it as a Post Apocalyptic Wargame/RPG. (Shameless plug - Which you can find here: http://myweb.cableone.net/manycubes/games.htm)

That said, the base rule system is 30 years old and was never designed to accommodate ease of play. The old rule system covers movement and combat second by second with handling, speed, damage, ammo use, etc… charted and tracked for every vehicle and figure in the combat. The scale allows for large numbers of forces per side, but the bookkeeping doesn’t.

SJG cobbled rules to it over its 30 year life time, but their focus was on adding new vehicles, arenas, and info on their own timeline.

The new Car Wars rule system is designed to be less cumbersome, but in its present form it is nothing more than some basic combat rules for pregenerated vehicles. Everything else has been stripped out.
I have not played Warlands so I can’t comment on it.
Edited by Crazy Joe, Nov 7 2011, 08:19 PM.

tinker
Member Avatar
CEO of "Rat-on-a-Stick" Industries
[ * ]
If your interested here is a generic Car Combat I found on the web...
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Road_Warriors.doc (51.5 KB)

Ironblood
Member Avatar
Cannie!
[ * ]
I LOVED playing carwars a lot back when i was younger, with the cardboard counters, micromachines and hotwheels. carwars is more rules heavy but has a LOT more depth and customisation possibility and character advancement/campaign style setup. the one thing that really is a downer for carwars imo is the ammount of record keeping and the turn key makes playing on 3d terrain a bit of a pita at times

Warlands is a lot faster paced, and easier to pickup and play a game. the rules are simple enough to keep the pace moving without being overly simple to the point of being boring. there is not as much depth in warlands as there is in carwars yet, but it seems that they are working on adding content when they can fit it in, being a small company who's owners work full time jobes aside from the game dev.

I recently tried to play Carwars again a year or so ago and had a bad case of "wow i dont remember this game being so horrible". I guess my tastes in gaming have changed since i was younger, but i found it clunky, cumbersome and all arround boring to play when i tried it this time. Constantly flipping through the compendium to find things and working the turning key made us go meh and quit after about 3-4 rounds. Warlands on the other hand I enjoy quite a bit more, even if it is a bit limited when placed beside carwars.

tikiphantom
Member Avatar
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Hmmm, thanks for the advice. I thought the same thing about Car Wars. I just got 5ed and it was still too slow. It took forever to get rid of an rival cars. I hope Warlands get some more customization. I want to get the rules to try them out.

tikiphantom
Member Avatar
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Tinker, thanks for the rules. I like the easy of game play.

tikiphantom
Member Avatar
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Ironblood, what is game do you play the most now?

Ironblood
Member Avatar
Cannie!
[ * ]
between the two, warlands all the way. I've still got my carwars compendium, but we never play that anymore.

bosky
Member Avatar
Wandering Dinosaur
[ * ]
I'm surprised you still find Car Wars 5th edition to be slow. Maybe it depends on the cars, but I find a person can knock out a game in under an hour. I know one rule I've used in the past to speed up play is allowing firing every phase, instead of once per turn. So basically you get to fire 3 times instead of 1 time, which helps speed up damage and cut down on the feel of "jousting" (where both cars circle and circle and shoot once and then circle some more).

Also you might be interested in Outrider (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68504/outrider) which seemed like a good mix of simplicity and modern rules. I think that's probably the best one of the new crop of vehicular combat.

tikiphantom
Member Avatar
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Tinker, thanks for the free game. I've been playing it alot now. I added some cars and weapons to the mix. It's a blast.

tinker
Member Avatar
[ * ]
No problem Tiki, but those rules were authored by another I'm just a pipeline :lol:

I love laying pipe...

TwoGunBob
Member Avatar
Ghoul
[ * ]
I did purchase Outrider during a sale but found it kind of... I don't know, Wings of War meets Car Wars. Didn't click so much with me. Got it on my hard drive but never printed it out to play so it could be a massively good system.

tikiphantom
Member Avatar
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
TwoGun, what didn't you like about it? Never played Wings of War?

tinker
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Wings of War has a simple card mechanic for play. Each type of plane has different flight characteristics on cards, in flight you select three cards for your move: Turn, Stall, loop-da-loop, continue straight (all hidden from your opponent).

Everyone plays the cards somewhat simultaneously. At the end of the move you use supplied measuring sticks to see if you have hit your opponent's plane. Draw from a pile of hidden counters to determine damage.

Simple. Similar mechanic to "Wooden Ships, Iron Men" and "Full Thrust"

tikiphantom
Member Avatar
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
ugh! sounds dull!

Mr. Clean
Member Avatar
Wasteland Legend/Cat Skinner/Bad Speller/Super Nice Guy B^)
[ * ]
I like WOW!

Played some games with my 6yo son,he won.Damn.

Brian

Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
Sounds a little like the plotted moves in the old AH game Airforce.

Wreckage uses movement cards for its vehicles and that seems to work ok.

tinker
Member Avatar
[ * ]
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/83717/wings-of-war-famous-aces gives a peek at the card "mechanic".

TwoGunBob
Member Avatar
Ghoul
[ * ]
tikiphantom
Dec 2 2011, 05:37 AM
TwoGun, what didn't you like about it? Never played Wings of War?
Always meant to play Wings of War but never got around to it. Every time it was at a convention it conflicted with whatever game I was running myself. At the time I got Road Rage and Outrider at the same time. I just read through Outrider and compared the concept to what I wanted for 2012's convention game and Road Rage won out. Haven't got around to printing out Outrider for friendly games but it just didn't 'gel' right. Probably cause I haven't printed out a hard copy. I can't learn game rules reading off a computer screen for some reason.

tinker
Member Avatar
[ * ]
It is a Beer and Pretzels game. If ya have kids a Milk and Cookies game :) I've called it "Wings of Bore" in the past. That isn't to say it's not fun, but I try to invest my limited head-to-head games to something more substantial and mentally stimulating.

The mechanic is wonderful for modification especially if ya want a different genre for a kid's game.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Rules discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply