Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car Wars; Deluxe Edition c. 1985
Topic Started: Jun 19 2010, 03:51 AM (3,117 Views)
TooBoCu
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
Ninjamonkey73
Jun 20 2010, 08:42 PM
I found a torrent that has pretty much every Car Wars product ever printed. The 2037 catalog is missing (if there was a 2037 catalog? I only had 2035 and 2036, and the torrent includes 2038 and 2039) but it has all the basic goodies: the Road Atlases, the Vehicle Guides, etc.

I'm about to do a practice game, simulating the opening chase from Mad Max. The March Hare is in pursuit of the Nightrider in his stolen Pursuit Special, and Big Bopper is coming up hard from an on-ramp on the right-hand side of the road. Roop wants to blast the Nightrider with a Shotgun, but Charlie is chattering excitedly about ramming him.

What do you figure is a good starting speed? All these vehicles have a Handling Class of 2, so they're safe up to 160 MPH as long as there's no maneuvering or road hazards... but by present calculations, all the MFP vehicles (including Goose's bike, but excluding Max's Interceptor) all top out at 150 MPH.

Should I assume they're at 150 MPH, and that the Nightrider is simply toying with them by not going faster? (He can hit 172 if he wants to push it)

If they're doing any kind of maneuvering, they have to be at 100 MPH or slower in order to remain Safe... and that only allows for two D1 maneuvers: Light Drift or Light Swerve. If they want to do any D3 maneuvers, they have to be at 60 MPH or slower to remain Safe!!!

(Safe means you don't need to make a Control Roll to see if you Crash. Of course, none of these drivers seem to be very Safe except Scuttle, who just goes in a straight line the whole time LOL! So maybe the March Hare really is tached-out at 150...)
150?!? How about 75-90 tops. I mean tops. Even at those speeds you dont realize how fast it is until you have to turn or even maneuver.... as the Night Rider found out to his dismay....

That said, you'll do better using the alternate 'Chassis and Crossbows' rules. They were printed in either the compendium or deluxe set, I'll have to check, otherwise I know it's in Dueltrack. That set has metal armor, hand weapons and a MUCH more MM feel.

CW is a MUCH more 'tech' based game. The auto armor is a plastic based composite, there are loads of lasers, rockets, and mil grade weapons. The autos were specifically built to duel.

C&C has much more 'ad hoc' type rules were the guy with one HMG is a God... until he gets overwhelmed.

That's my best advice for your project and I look forward to seeing the results! I'm building a MM set at 1:64 and planning on playing the same scenario using CW upscaled to 3x and a rolling map.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TooBoCu
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
3 more suggestions.

1: Use the Compendium 2.5 rules, they are the most complete and clean
2: Get your hands on a turnkey at the proper scale. 1x is CW, 2x is Micro Machine, 3x is Matchbox/Hotwheels
3: No matter how tempted you may be, DO NOT under ANY circumstances introduce any of the following: tanks, boats or aircraft! This will break the game and ruin it for, you, I've seen it happen a few times..... The game was designed for cars, station wagons, bikes and rigs, nothing heavier than civy-type vehicles.

tikiphantom
Member Avatar
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
That looks awesome! what are the tiles he's using for the arena floor?

RavenFeast
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
tikiphantom - The tiles are anti-fatigue interlocking foam squares 18" or so on a side. No idea of the manufacturer, but they're readily available as 4-packs in the flooring sections of most big-box home improvement stores. They make them in various colors, but the grey ones are usually cheapest. The walls and barriers are wood.
Edited by RavenFeast, Jul 6 2013, 11:47 PM.

tikiphantom
Member Avatar
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
@RavenFeast- great! I gonna go and look for them. The tiles look great!

TooBoCu
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
I have no faith in SJG at all. Phil Reed seems like an awful person to have to deal with, I've read him being rather antagonistic to people asking questions about CW(6?). I think if CW6? ever gets off the ground, it's going to move very far from its roots to be CW in name only. I recently stumbled upon Outrider which seems like a much better, much clearer game without weeks of record keeping to make a move.

Just adding my 2 cents!

Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
TooBoCu
Oct 23 2013, 09:49 AM
I have no faith in SJG at all. Phil Reed seems like an awful person to have to deal with, I've read him being rather antagonistic to people asking questions about CW(6?). I think if CW6? ever gets off the ground, it's going to move very far from its roots to be CW in name only. I recently stumbled upon Outrider which seems like a much better, much clearer game without weeks of record keeping to make a move.

Just adding my 2 cents!
I'm also worried about what direction Car Wars might take. I was not happy about the fact that only people who made a special $25 contribution to Ogre got to participate in the special Car Wars forum that would decide the future of Car Wars.

tinker
Member Avatar
CEO of "Rat-on-a-Stick" Industries
[ * ]
That's how you garner an unbiased opinion, make them pay to direct the direction of your product :doh:

Edited by tinker, Oct 23 2013, 04:03 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Rules discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply