Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What scale is best for post-apoc?
Topic Started: May 19 2009, 03:00 PM (1,338 Views)
dicehead
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
I've been writing some rules for a post-apoc wargame but I can't decide on the scale. Here's what I've worked out so far..

2mm + 6mm: too small for this but there are some nice 6mm scale vehicles.
10mm: Interesting scale but a bit fiddly, doesn't come with much in the way of vehicles.
15mm: Cheap, loads of vehicles (ie toy cars) which look ok next to most 15mm models. Wide range of sci-fi and alien types that make good mutants. Wild west types make good survivors and modern military can make nice corporate / government types.
25/28mm: Some amazing models, loads of choice and more suited to the skirmish sort of game I am making. The big problem though is that even if you were to find decent vehicles (there are a few places to get them from) I don't think vehicles work very well at 28mm scale.

I've left out 20mm because I haven't looked at much in that scale. The Dark Future miniatures are apparently 20mm but I haven't seen them next to matchbox / hot wheels cars so it's hard to judge how right they look with those. They are also hard to find and expensive but there seems to be quite a lot of suitable 20mm stuff out there.

What do you think? What scale are you playing? I think I've pretty much convinced myself 15mm is the way to go but then I see a really superb 28mm model and find myself torn.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RavenFeast
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
You could have the rules fit multiple scales (15mm and 28mm are quite common) and just have conversions for weapon and movement ranges dependent upon the scale of the figures used.

I play games in various scales, but only collect and paint 28mm-ish because I like to see what the figure is from across the table. :(|grin:

dicehead
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
I'm just trying to stop myself randomly buying every figure I take a liking to in five different scales, which is my normal trick! The rules are adaptable for any scale as I know a lot of people like 15mm for skirmish games myself included. Now I've spotted those lovely 1:50 cars though I'm wavering towards 28mm for the same reason you mention. Wish I'd found this forum earlier I'd have saved myself a lot of time looking for bits of info on the net! Seeing the miniatures next to cars is what I really needed.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
I am a 28mm man myself. Lots of minis to choose from. Hell you can go cheap by raiding ebay. As for vehicles there are plenty, you just have to hunt about looking for them. My collection of cars and trucks is quite large and most of them came from thrift stores - £1.00 or less. There are loads of rules sets for 28mm too not to mention terrain, if you are too lazy/have no time/dont have the skills to make it.

Like you I dabbled in other scales but I am stuck on 28mm now. Which means what 15mm, hotwheels/darkfuture and 6mm bits I have will be going to evil bay to fund more 28mm goodness.

Whiskyrat
Member Avatar
Wastelander
[ * ]
dicehead
May 19 2009, 03:00 PM
I've left out 20mm because I haven't looked at much in that scale. The Dark Future miniatures are apparently 20mm but I haven't seen them next to matchbox / hot wheels cars so it's hard to judge how right they look with those. They are also hard to find and expensive but there seems to be quite a lot of suitable 20mm stuff out there.
28mm for the reasons mentioned plus I need to minimize my unpainted lead mountain - so a figure in my house is more likely to get undercoated if it can be used in two game settings. :$

If you fancy 20mm take a look at Warlands

FWIW, Hot wheel cars and 1/72vehicles generally look ok for 20mm gaming.

Ross
Member Avatar
Wasteland Warlord
[ * ]
Yar, I'm a 25mm-32mm fan, though I'd recommend that if it's cars and trucks that have you hooked on the wasteland then scale it down to 15mm, cheaper, much cheaper!

thewizardofoz
Member Avatar
Tribal Savage
[ * ]
im a 28mm man mainly because of my 'roots' in gaming (40k :( ) but i have also looked into smaller scales, because my REAL first system was mechwarrior, and i liked that game alot, but everyone decided to quit out on me... :'(

v_lazy_dragon
Member Avatar
Enforcer
[ * ]
I'm a 28mm boy... but if I was doing it all again I'd probably be 20mm due to the abundance of cheap military vehicles, pre made scenery & ever increasing ranges of moderns, old west, etc; all of which seem fairly cheap. There is also the benefit of being able to use 1:64 cars (which seem to be what the majority of toy boxes contain)

I must admitt to never really considering 15mm 'skirmish' scale - Instead I would tend to base multiple figures together and use it for unit level stuff (also because I'm not entirely sure how easy it woud be to move single 15mm figures around on some of the bigger tables...)
Edited by v_lazy_dragon, May 20 2009, 09:07 AM.

Benny
Member Avatar
Professional Procrastinator
[ * ]
Peronally my favourite scale to game in is 15mm, but this scale is aimed at larger conflicts at the company level or higher depending on the scale your game is using.

I prefer 2mm, 6mm, 10mm, 20mm and 25mm to 28mm for gaming, but 28mm is the most popular and the range of PA miniatures available are pretty impressive. I hate to say it, but I find that if you want to play PA without ridiculous levels of conversion and hunting obscure companies for suitable minis, you'll be best to go with 28mm.

aluangel
Member Avatar
Vault Dweller
[ * ]
I have similar problem, I believe all scales ranging 15mm-28mm are suitable for postapo gaming. I prefer 28 mm though. There is really huge selecton of miniatures up there. Almost every modification is possible. Cars, tanks and trucks are not a problem too. Almost all car toys in scal of 1-50 - 1-43 i suitable.
20mm is appopriate if somone want to use matchbox or hotwheels cars.
15mm is tempting for me because I want to use Ambush Alley rules to create last war small encounters... but 28mm will act even better only problem are money :doh:

dicehead
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
Thanks guys this is really useful, another consideration for me is the people I game against are much more into 28mm. Looking at eBay 1:50 cars seem quite expensive but I'm sure they turn up in charity shops for next to nothing all the time. I know how you feel WizardofOz I loved Mechwarrior I've still got all my stuff stashed but one day someone turned up with some 40k stuff and though I didn't realise it at the time my Mechwarrior days were over!

Bungle
Member Avatar
Super Mutant
[ * ]
15mm.... plenty of 1/100 or thereabouts scaled vehicles... if you are happy with 18mm figures, they look ok next to model railway HO scale (1/87 US and European Manufacturers) vehicles

I keep finding 28mm suitable stuff, but i persoanlly believe 1/43 is way too big and should be used with 40mm figures (Monoliths stuff matches perfectly)

I prefer smaller scales for combats involving vehicles, so realistic moves and ranges can be used compared to the figure scale.

You can use the 1/64 scale vehicles with true 25mm figures too.

Benny
Member Avatar
Professional Procrastinator
[ * ]
Don't worry about buying actual 1:50 vehicles for games... Go to your local toystore and see what bargains are lying around in whatever looks to be kinda on scale.

mattblackgod
Member Avatar
Big boss warlord dude!
[ * ]
I second Freebooter on this, most of mine are cheap shops toys. Take a mini for reference and just see what looks right. If you are going more sci-fi or near future you can get away with larger scale cars too!

Bungle
Member Avatar
Super Mutant
[ * ]
yeah.... but i'm a scale nazi ;-) So I apologise if I rub someone up the wrong way.

I hate seeing figures standing next to a car that barely reach the roof height, when I can stand next to most cars reach over and clean the whole roof from one side.

Real vehicles should be in the right scale with real people.... sci fi don't matter as much.

RavenFeast
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
Cost is more important than accuracy for me, though when the two meet, it's very good thing, indeed.

Sidebar: RAFM's Modern Day Heroes are actually sculpted with fit with 1/43 scale cars.
http://www.rafm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAF&Category_Code=USXMin

dicehead
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
If I was just getting into it now I think I'd have a serious look at 1/72 scale plastics. They're dirt cheap and there's a surprisingly good range of modern stuff and all those sweet toy cars are going to fit. Plus you've got the bonus of HO scale railway pieces being a good match. Mind you that is just based on looking at pictures, I might feel differently once I get some plastics and try painting them. You'd be screwed for muties and zombies though, but if you were playing a more realistic post-nuke game you'd probably be ok.

Posted Image

Just another option to consider. Before anyone writes anything snippy about the sculpting bear in mind you're paying less than 1/10th the cost of a metal figure.

Chrome_Cat
Member Avatar
Merc
[ * ]
I think they look pretty good. The range is of course the downside, and the extra area to paint. If HO scale terrain works though you're set.

dicehead
Member Avatar
Mutant Hunter
[ * ]
I found some pretty good looking zombies at Elheim Figures

Posted Image

They do dogs too. There must be some kind of muties out there. I'm seriously considering this now, most of my figures are from Necromunda and there's some good stuff there but I wouldn't mind a fresh start. It's hard to look at them and not think they're Goliaths, Orlocks and all that.

kfc v lot
Member Avatar
Sir S&Malot
[ * ]
Damn, beat me to mentioning elheim :P also for zombies consider the bag of zombies from twilight creations, 100 zeds for £6 (though they are all the same sculpt, also do a bag of female zeds)

And for other mutants it may be a case of farm animals and green stuff??

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Post Apoc Miniatures · Next Topic »
Add Reply