Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Mugenjo - Infinity Fortress, a discussion forum for all things GetBackers.

GetBackers is a Manga series that began in 1999 by writer Yuya Aoki and artist Rando Ayamine, and ran for 39 volumes until its conclusion in 2007. It has been adapted into a popular Anime series as well as several video games. It takes the simple premise of two teenage boys who work as Retrievers, hired guns who will recover anything that's been stolen from you...for the right price. The story has a deep and complex plot buried underneath it and is an engaging and entertaining series with a little something for everyone.

We hope you will enjoy what our board has to offer, be you a fan of the Manga, the Anime, or a newbie who looks to get into the series for the first time. We look forward to seeing you around!!

--Mugenjo Forum Staff

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Yu Yu Hakusho
Topic Started: Aug 4 2009, 06:04 PM (246 Views)
Kane
Member Avatar

When I started reading GB, I thought it felt a lot like Yu Yu Hakusho, so I hope that, aside from SG2, that there are others who have also read/watched YYH and wouldn't mind discussing it some. It's been forever since I've read OR watched it, but it's still one of the best manga/anime that I have ever watched, despite not having read/watched all of it yet, though I kind of know a couple spoilers for the ending. I just don't know how it actually ends. Except for some scenes between Kuwabara and Kurama. I think a couple of girls mistake Kurama for a girl and Kuwabara kind of tells them off (not rudely, of course - it's Kuwabara - but . . . yeah). Anyway, Kuwabara apparently becomes popular with the ladies, but that's as far as I know about the ending. . . . That's not really a spoiler, is it?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SG2
Member Avatar
GB Manga Whore

The scene you're talking about is probably from the last episode, which is a minor timeskip, I think a year (maybe it was two) after the real 'ending'.

Anyways, YYH was the first Anime I ever really got into besides Dragonball, which was my first...and I don't count Pokemon because when the Pokemon fad was going on I was 10 and didn't know it was Japanese or anything about 'Anime' back then. I thought it was a weird cartoon (sweatdrops, face-faults, etc...), but since I never knew about Anime, it doesn't count. YYH was the stepping stone for me into Anime, really, because when I was obsessed with DBZ that's really the only series I ever cared about. I had seen bits of shows like Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star and Tenchi Muyo! on Toonami because they were the other big shows back in the day when DBZ was airing on Cartoon Network...but YYH was what I consider what got me out of just DBZ and exposed to Anime as a whole.

I remember the first time I saw it was one night I was sleeping over my grandfather's house...I've always been an insomniac, so I was up way later than my Auntie Doe allowed me to be, and I really quietly turned the TV on...I didn't assume there'd be anything good on at that hour (well after midnight, if I had to guess, 1 or 2 AM, since I remember it was a YYH marathon and I saw many episodes)...but when I put on Cartoon Network I was surprised to catch the beginning of an Anime, I remember happening to get it right during the opening theme. I watched it because I can't sleep without light or sound, and I needed something to put me back to sleep, but I got caught up in it...mostly, I was shocked that there was swearing, and lots of it!! Yes, this was back when YYH was still on Adult Swim (it was also my first exposure to AS), and I wouldn't be surprised if most of you guys never realized that it was once on Adult Swim. Yup. AS had the first 21 episodes and played reruns for a while before Toonami picked it up, and they butchered the show because FUNimation is retarded when it comes to editing (seriously, they edit stuff that I see plenty of other shows get away with, 'just to play it safe')...but those first 21 episodes, which is up to the end of the Maze Castle/Saint Beasts arc, are the most nostalgic to me because I remember it on AS.

I loved it right away, though the first episode I saw was Yusuke fighting Suzaku, and I was toooooootally confused. Yusuke seems to 'die' at the end of that fight, and then since they didn't restart at episode 1 after episode 21 (for whatever reason they jumped to episode 5), and it was talking about having Yusuke come back to life...yeah, the chronology of the story was all screwed up for me at first, but eventually I got it. Back then I had a bed time and couldn't stay up late to watch Adult Swim (like I said, I got away with it because I wasn't home the night I first saw it), so I'd tape the episodes overnight and watch them the next day. Eventually I got caught up through the first arc, the stuff with Hiei and Kurama, the Genkai Tournament, and then I saw the whole Saint Beast arc...then I watched it on Toonami when they got it, grudgingly, because it was so fucking butchered, but I had no other way to continue the story back in the days before YouTube...eventually, a few years ago, I found a site called CrunchyRoll (which has since become shittier than YouTube, but back then they weren't nazis) that had the whole series, and went on a nostalgic kick watching the old episodes, and then I saw the whole Sensui arc uncut...shortly after, Cartoon Network put the show back on late night on Friday nights, at like 5:30 AM (after Adult Swim technically ends, so AS didn't get it back, it was just on regular CN), and I saw the last story arc which I believe was uncut, due to the ungodly early hour it was on, but I'm not sure...and then I finished the series when it ended there.

Personally I hate the last story arc, because it's so short...which wouldn't be bad if it didn't end feeling like a waste of time. I guess I'd compare it to an extended version of the last epilogue story arc of DBZ...a tournament is set up, a few new characters are introduced, and we see the beginning of that tournament, but then the 'ending' is just like...WTF? I think the series would have ended better after the Sensui arc with a short epilogue, otherwise, extend that last story arc to make it feel worth something. It just seemed like 'why bother?' and I didn't like it at all. I'm actually curious if this was an Anime-only problem, though, as I've seen Anime adaptations of popular Manga end way before the Manga ends before (like Groove Adventure RAVE, or the total bullshit of InuYasha which went on for hundreds of fucking episodes and then decided to cop out on the end when the Manga kept going)...maybe it's longer in the Manga? I dunno, but I didn't like it. I did however absolutely love the Sensui arc.

I also hate the Dark Tournament...it's one of the reasons I hate tournament story arcs in any series, really. Went on too long. Got exceedingly boring. Also, Toguro was a boring villain (Toguro Ani was kinda cool in the sadistic 'love to hate' kinda way, but younger Toguro...meh). The beginning was cool, the end was great, and there was some really nice stuff sprinkled throughout, but on the whole it just dragged on too long. I felt the same way in Flame of Recca (which I always considered to be a totally obvious YYH ripoff, but good for its own merits and characters so I like it anyways, and ironically that was my first non-DBZ Manga the way YYH was for Anime) during that tournament arc...I lost interest in the series, though it picked up again once the tournament finally ended.

So yeah, I love all the early arcs prior to the Yukina and Dark Tournament stories, and then the Sensui arc is fucking epic...so I guess it's kinda mixed for me. A fairly typical, if engaging, Shounen series, without much of anything super unique...honestly, if it wasn't my 'first' series that got me away from DBZ and into the world of Anime for what it is, I probably wouldn't love it as much as I do. It's mostly nostalgia...that, and a fanfuckingtastic dub. I would hardly call it a masterpiece in terms of the way I feel about series' like FullMetal Alchemist, GetBackers, or Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, because story and character-wise it really is your pretty typical fare...but hey, I've got a lot of memories in it, and I attribute it to why I got into Anime as a whole. InuYasha came on after YYH when it was on Adult Swim, so eventually I let my tapes run longer and watched both shows...then I started watching Rurouni Kenshin on Toonami...then I found a series called SoulTaker back when G4 was still TechTV...and I consider those the original 5 that made me an Anime fan. :D So yeah, YYH means a lot to me, and as one of my firsts and favorites, I'll never forget it.

Kane
Member Avatar

I can't say that YYH was the anime where I started learning what anime was (that was Yu-Gi-Oh! for me), but YYH was certainly one of the anime where I started deviating away from what was on Kids WB. In other words, stuf that 4Kids dubbed. As far as I know, FUNimation has never made dubbing mistakes and misjudgements like 4Kids does. The only one where I actually enjoy their work on an anime would be Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, just because it fits the air/aura/mood of the show.

But anyway, before Yu Yu Hakusho, I had been watching Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, shows that are basically huge tournaments. So I suppose it's not surprising that what really drew me in was the Dark Tournament. Though I had seen snippets of it on Adult Swim, there were few times when I had ever stayed up that late, and I never actually watched a full episode on Adult Swim. I caught the Dark Tournament on Toonami, and I've been hooked ever since. I saw the ending of the episode where we first see Hiei's Dragon of the Darkness Flame, so since Hiei was the first character I was introduced to, he immediately became my favorite, with Kurama as a close second. Over the years, Yusuke and Kuwabara grew on me and now I'm not entirely sure which of the four main males are my favorite. Though it's probably either Hiei or Kuwabara.

I remember watching the Yukina arc at my grandmother's house one afternoon and she was wondering what the heck I was watching. Yu Yu Hakusho is probably the only anime on Toonami, aside from DBZ, that I'm still into today. I mean, I did watch some of Outlaw Star and Tenchi Muyo, and a handful of others, but none of those stuck with me, even though sometimes I think about looking at them again (only to fail to do so because I have other stuff I'd rather do).

SG2
Member Avatar
GB Manga Whore

Kane
Aug 6 2009, 04:43 PM
The only one where I actually enjoy their work on an anime would be Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, just because it fits the air/aura/mood of the show.
Actually, judging by some of what I've heard from Japanese fans about later arcs, that's not entirely true ^^;

The only 4Kids dub I thought was pretty passable was Shaman King, though I only saw the Manga version of some of the earlier stuff in Shounen JUMP before they removed it...still, there was a lot of death, and mentioning death, and very few changes from the Japanese names except a handful of characters...and the voices weren't all abhorrent. Though I'm off-topic, now, but I do see your point - still, it seems you probably had more exposure to Anime in general than I did before I saw YYH, since all I really knew was DBZ (and a little sprinkling of the other stuff I sometimes caught on Toonami when DBZ was on). Then again, there's the age difference, and even by just a few years Anime was probably more recognized when you first saw YYH than it was when I first saw it on Adult Swim, and you had more opportunity to see other (even if butchered) Anime. I dunno.

Quote:

But anyway, before Yu Yu Hakusho, I had been watching Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, shows that are basically huge tournaments. So I suppose it's not surprising that what really drew me in was the Dark Tournament. Though I had seen snippets of it on Adult Swim, there were few times when I had ever stayed up that late, and I never actually watched a full episode on Adult Swim. I caught the Dark Tournament on Toonami, and I've been hooked ever since. I saw the ending of the episode where we first see Hiei's Dragon of the Darkness Flame, so since Hiei was the first character I was introduced to, he immediately became my favorite, with Kurama as a close second. Over the years, Yusuke and Kuwabara grew on me and now I'm not entirely sure which of the four main males are my favorite. Though it's probably either Hiei or Kuwabara.

I've just come to despise tournament arcs in general because they're a cheap excuse for the author to showcase the skills and abilities of a large cast of characters relatively quickly, but the sacrifice is that having their abilities improve over the course of the arc prevents a lot of their personality from developing, and the plot...well, that just stagnates to where it gets unbelievably boring and you just want the tournament to end already and get back to telling some actual story. The tournament dynamic didn't bother me too much in Dragonball, because they were usually short and sprinkled throughout (and that I got into Z first which isn't tournament-heavy the way DB was), and with Pokemon, well, those arcs are ironically usually better than the normal one-shot 'character/Pokemon of the week' episodes because of the type of game it's based on...unlike the movies, which can work on a full-length story and plot, the series rarely did that, so the tournaments felt like you were getting more action from the monsters than the humans, and let's face it, what's the reason kids want to watch Pokemon?! The monsters, not the humans!!

It also may be because the whole dynamic of the story seemed to change from the early YYH arcs to the tournament and the title 'Spirit Detective' seemed irrelevant because there wasn't any detecting going on...just humans and demons that look like humans fighting demons...that look like humans. Got pretty boring pretty fast for me, especially when the Manga I was keeping up with most often around the same time, Flame of Recca, starts as essentially a carbon copy of YYH with a few differences and thus also got sucked into a massive tournament arc that got boring really fast...I just wanted something to end the tournament madness, so I guess I sought salvation in GB, heh. You mention in your OP that GB at first felt similar to YYH for you, though obviously minus the demons and the afterlife stuff, and maybe that's why I came to like that more around this time, because I preferred the early YYH stories to the tournament madness. This was also probably before GB started the I.L. arc, though that's hardly as maddening as tournament arcs (because it's not just fight after fight), but given how long and drawn out it was, if I was reading I.L. at the same time as the YYH and FoR tournament arcs...I may have just lost faith in Anime and Manga in general. X_X;

Oh, and on the note of Hiei's aforementioned ultimate attack...like FMA, I feel the YYH dub is far superior to the Japanese version and that the characters have more emotion and feeling, but I'm sorry, Chuck Huber has nothing on Nobuyuki Hiyama for Hiei. Period. I have no problem with his performance as a whole, but by comparison, there's just no contest. This goes in particular for the unleashing of the black dragon, where 'Dragon Of The Darkness Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame!!!!!!' just can't hold a candle to 'ENSATSU KOKURYUUUUUUUUUUUUUU HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'. Sorry, Chuck, you're better at soft-spoken psychopaths like Shou Tucker than short dark and brooding types like Hiei...that, or battlecries just aren't your forte. Nobuyuki Hiyama really is the man when it comes to angry screaming. Really, you must hear it in Japanese to believe it. I don't personally think it's a very cool attack, but if anything makes it cool, it's Nobuyuki Hiyama's battle cry...and I can't help but hear that same yelling style when Link jumps into the empty Kakariko Well in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and you get that really drawn out scream and then cringe of pain (Nobuyuki Hiyama is also the voice of the N64 era of Adult Link, which includes Super Smash Bros. 1 and 2 as well as Soul Calibur II...and in the latter, he is also the voice of Nightmare)...hehe.

Kane
Member Avatar

After I (finally) get the series on DVD, I'll listen to that episode in Japanese just so I can hear that battle cry. But I honestly couldn't believe Hiei and Tucker were done by the same person. They don't sound anything alike, while Yusuke and Russell Trigham sounded very much alike. Ever since I learned who voiced Yusuke, though, Justin Cook has been one of the coolest people I can think of. He voiced Yusuke Urameshi; for some reason, that just equals awesome in my head.

*shrugs* I did watch a comparison between the Japanese version of one episode of YGOGX and the english version, and while I dislike the violence and death being edited out, there was this one scene that just did not make sense in the Japanese. I couldn't understand what the bad guy was blabbering about in the Japanese, despite the subtitles telling me what he was saying, but the English translation made much more sense. And there's some stuff that I know they'll probably screw up in YGOGX, but I haven't watched the show that far (be it English OR Japanese), and it has to do with some ambiguous romantic stuff with this evil Duel Monster and the main character. No one is sure if that monster is a boy or a girl, though most people think that it's a girl. But YGOGX is mostly humor and dueling and doesn't have nearly as much speeches as its predecessor dub did, so I think it's much better. And it kind of sounds like Little Kuriboh was the one writing the dub script. lol But anyway.

One of my favorite parts of Yu Yu Hakusho is at the beginning of the Sensui arc.
Spoiler: click to toggle

The Sensui arc was also the first time that I met a psycho doctor in anime.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Anime · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Chatbox

Affiliates

.Wiredvage Theme created by Zeus00 and converted by Wolt of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone