Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Mugenjo - Infinity Fortress, a discussion forum for all things GetBackers.

GetBackers is a Manga series that began in 1999 by writer Yuya Aoki and artist Rando Ayamine, and ran for 39 volumes until its conclusion in 2007. It has been adapted into a popular Anime series as well as several video games. It takes the simple premise of two teenage boys who work as Retrievers, hired guns who will recover anything that's been stolen from you...for the right price. The story has a deep and complex plot buried underneath it and is an engaging and entertaining series with a little something for everyone.

We hope you will enjoy what our board has to offer, be you a fan of the Manga, the Anime, or a newbie who looks to get into the series for the first time. We look forward to seeing you around!!

--Mugenjo Forum Staff

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Your Favorites
Topic Started: Jul 23 2009, 04:44 PM (314 Views)
SG2
Member Avatar
GB Manga Whore

So, besides GB, what are your favorite Manga and why?

Here's my current top 5.

5-Naruto - Kishimoto Masashi
4-FullMetal Alchemist - Arakawa Hiromu
3-Death Note - Obata Takeshi & Ohba Tsugumi
2-Katekyou Hitman Reborn! - Amano Akira
1-GetBackers - Ayamine Rando & Aoki Yuuya

Naruto is quickly dropping off that list as it starts to suck more and more lately. -_- I haven't even read it in a month and a half, honestly. Maybe even 2 months. I forget. Naruto had just met Nagato in the cave, and I was like, 'you know, this Pain arc has bored me to tears' and I just got too lazy to read more since then. I'll pick it up again eventually and see if it's gotten any better, but unless Sasuke dies real soon, I'm not sure how likely that would be...someone please kill Sasuke already, please? Pleeeeeeease?

I'd say Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni would be quick to replace Naruto as #5 soon, though. I got into the Anime last summer, and then this spring I started reading more on what the Anime left out from the visual novels, and that the Manga was a lot more accurate...there's only 3 volumes out in the US so far and I bought them all (the next volume of the Watanagashi arc comes out in August), but I've read some of the stories online, too, though most of what's on OneManga isn't finished (I'm so anxious for the rest of the Tatarigoroshi arc because it's probably my favorite of the question arcs in the Anime, and I can't wait to see everything they cut out!!). I've still yet to see Kai in the Anime, though. I was waiting for the rest to be dubbed, because I got used to the English cast and I hate adjusting to a different cast once I'm used to one, be it English or Japanese that I got used to first. I know spoilers though, and I've read almost all the TIPS from the games. I know I'm missing a lot by not having seen/read Minagoroshi yet, though ^^; I'll still buy all the translated Manga, but I really wish scanslation groups would hurry and get more online because I'm impatient >_<

I just read the first 10 chapters that are on OneManga of Umineko no Naku Kori Ni, though, the 'sister series' of sorts to Higurashi by the same guy and with some strange parallels. I saw the first episode of the new Anime, so I thought I'd check out the Manga. Gah, it's even more gruesome than Higurashi!! ...Well, maybe just as gruesome, but people getting their faces plowed in beyond recognition is preeeeeeeeetty graphic. I was grossed out, terrified and sad all at the same time. I'm really looking forward to getting into this series, now, too, though I don't think I'll like it as much as Higurashi. It lacks the charm of Higurashi for some reason, and there are too many adult characters...I have a hard time relating to the adult issues explored on that end of things, so I can't really connect to them as well as I can with the older kids. Maria freaks me the fuck out, though. She's like a cross between Rika and Rena, with Rena's creepiness multiplied tenfold...God, the signature creepy faces/eyes from Higurashi aren't absent in Umineko, and Maria's faces had me pretty fuckin' freaked out. Nnngh. *shudder*

So!! What are your favorites, or series' you're starting to get into? Talk about anything like that here, just keep spoilers inside [spoiler]spoiler tags[/spoiler]!! ^_^
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kane
Member Avatar

1. Death Note. It's the only manga, aside from GB, that I'm not interested in seeing the anime version of. I saw one episode of the Death Note anime, and I can't stand it. (Poor Raye Penber. His character sounded like a sexist jerk in the English dub.) It's filled with psychological and logical analysis and is one kick-ass mystery.

2. Get Backers. :P It's number 2 because the fan service didn't settle very well with me at first. That's essentially the only reason it's not number 1.

3. Fullmetal Alchemist. Because the manga is the one with the majority of all my favorite characters, like Ling and General Major Armstrong.

4. Yu Yu Hakusho. Because it's just cool enough to get on both my anime list and my manga list.

5. Spiral. It's a mystery manga, and despite having read 5 volumes, the Blade Children still make no sense whatsoever. I haven't read past that yet though. (Or is it four volumes? :-/)

SG2
Member Avatar
GB Manga Whore

Augh, don't watch the Death Note dub. It's absolutely atrocious. L's voice especially...ugh. The Japanese version is great, though, at least the first part until a certain you-know-who is out of the picture. The second half of the Anime really rushes through the story, and the last episode totally changes the ending and removes the epilogue...but the first half of the Anime is really excellent and I recommend checking it out, just...find the Japanese version ^^; The soundtrack is fantastic, as well. One of my favorite OSTs.

Once you get into the I.L. arc, I think GB will surpass Death Note for you. I can't say why without spoiling anything, but you'll see the intricacies in how every little thing is connected to the plot soon enough, and from all I've discussed with you about Naruto and FMA specifically, I know you seem to like stories like that...so it's just a hunch, fanservice or no. :)

FMA is still low on my list, but I started getting into the Manga more around Vol...13 or so? I still prefer the Anime's version of the story, but the personalities of the main characters are similar in both and I love them all, plus, the Manga seems to have more comedy, and I love the Omake. I laugh out loud no matter how many times I read some of them. They're just so stupid. XD

I never really liked the art style of the YYH Manga...but I got into the Anime first, and it was the first Anime I got into after DBZ, so I have a special place in my heart for that version of it. I only got about halfway through the Sensui arc before my subscription to Shounen Jump ran out after 4 or 5 years, because I had no interest in renewing when they pulled most of my favorites (Hikaru no Go was the last straw; I read Naruto online, knew YYH from the Anime, Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh! were gone, One Piece was getting really good but not worth it enough for me to keep subscribing when I didn't care about Yu-Gi-Oh! GX and Slam Dunk and could read Bleach online), but the art just never really appealed to me. Too simplistic, I guess, and from what I read they didn't seem to have any content that the Anime didn't have (the only thing I remember is that Yusuke's mom was at the Dark Tournament for some reason in the Manga, but not in the Anime).

I have Vol. 1 of Spiral because I'd seen the first episode of it on one of the FMA DVD's I'd borrowed from Heather (it was a bonus or something), and I thought it was good. Kinda reminiscent of Detective Conan, and I thought the art was cute. I'm not sure if I want to pursue the series yet, but Vol. 1 seemed interesting, even if the whole Blade Children thing seemed like a side plot with the focus being more on the individual mysteries...again, reminded me of Detective Conan, but not as good. The art is really cute, though. Not really what I'd call Shoujo-ish, but it has a somewhat Chibi style to it and the characters are just...well, cute. That's the best way to say it ^^; The girl with the puppets cracked me up, though. How the Hell can she make those things so quickly?

There are a lot of Manga that I buy Vol. 1 of these days, even if I don't know if I want to pursue them. Though lately the only series I keep up on is GetBackers, and occasionally Death Note just because I'd like to own the whole series (I have up to Vol. 5 so far) even if I have finished it. It's a great series, so I think I should have it. I haven't bought Flame of Recca, which was my favorite Manga for a while (and my first one besides DB), past...Vol. 18, I think? And I haven't gotten past Vol. 8 of Fushigi Yuugi...those two, along with GB and Gravitation, were the main 4 series' I'd buy for the longest time, but then I just got so sucked into GB that once I finished Gravitation I mostly spent my money on those (I used to rotate, every time I'd get enough money to buy a new book, I'd cycle through the series' in order so I didn't fall behind in any of them)...that, and Barnes and Noble never seems to have FoR or FY anymore. I could get them online, but I'm lazy and not allowed to have my own credit card (I'm not trustworthy >.>; ) so I have to pester my mom whenever I want to buy things online...so it ended up that I just usually buy my GB.

I also got into MÄR for the first 5 volumes because I thought it was cute and it's by Nobuyuki Anzai-Sensei (same guy who does Flame of Recca), but once it got to the tournament I was like...this is practically the exact same thing as FoR...which, as it is, always felt like a ripoff of Yuu Yuu Hakusho (but was interesting enough that I loved it anyways). I've come to really hate tournament arcs in general, so I'm not sure if I care enough about MÄR to pursue it further. I've recently gotten into a new series called TOTO! The Wonderful Adventure, though, and have Vol. 1-3 of that and think I'm definitely going to keep up with it. It's loosely based on The Wizard of Oz, but the art is cute, the action and weapons are interesting, and I think it's pretty funny (I love Lion...I always seem drawn to dork characters like that, like Emishi in GB ^^; ).

Series' I only have one volume of, off the top of my head...

Spiral, Yami no Matsuei (This was a popular one among Yaoi fangirls back in the day when I was Yaoi-obsessed, but the art is too Shoujo-y and the story didn't grab me), D. Gray-Man (Heather read a good chunk of it and says it's very similar to FMA, and reading Vol. 1, I totally see that), Black Cat (Heather read all of this online and liked it, I think I could get into it), Blue Dragon - Ral Grado (love Obata-Sensei's art, but the story is like a Naruto ripoff and the main character is about as boring and one-dimensional as they come, only caring about breasts, so it's pretty much a fanservice series with some monsters fighting -_- ), Cromartie High School (I'd seen the whole Anime back when G4 was still Tech TV and had an Anime block, I think it's hilarious and I'd totally get more of the Manga if I ever saw it again), The Third (critically acclaimed, but it didn't grab me...), Blank Slate (technically a Shoujo, but the art isn't flowery and unappealing, and it's...really, really violent o_o), and...probably more I can't think of. I tend to check out new series' that seem interesting whenever I've got cash and head to the book store, but they don't have any of my series' in stock (or at least the volumes I need of it; for months B&N only had GB Vol. 1 and multiple copies of Vol. 23). I just usually don't like a series enough to continue pursuing it, but I'd like to get into D.Gray Man and Black Cat at some point (whether I buy it or read online), and I'm definitely going to keep buying TOTO!. They had Vol. 4 and 5 on the shelves when Heather and I went to B&N last weekend, but I only had $50 and needed my GB 26 and 27...had I known there wouldn't be anything good at Newbury Comics, I'd have bought those, too.

Other than that, it's mostly just GB and Higurashi for me, and Death Note if they don't have the books I need and I've got the spare cash. I need to get back to Flame of Recca and Fushigi Yuugi at least, though...I've invested a lot of time into those two already, especially FoR, which I'd been reading for like a year and a half before I got into GB. And now that the stupid tournament arc is over, it's getting more interesting again, so I'd really like to finish it.

Oh, I forgot another of my favorites that would probably be on my top 5 list if it hadn't been so long since I'd read it... Gensomaden Saiyuki, which is based on the same legend as Dragonball (Journey to the West). I borrowed it from a friend in high school and got pretty far into it, and I love the art, the story, the characters...it's pretty violent at times, even moreso than GB, but it's great. But I lost touch with her when she stopped going to FSC the second semester Freshman year to work full time, and now she goes to Mt. Wachusett instead...she's the one who got me into Death Note, too, up to like Vol. 6, after I'd read the preview in Shounen Jump and thought it seemed cool. But unlike DN, I was never able to find Saiyuki online, even though it's a pretty popular series (the Anime's not very good, though; the animation/art style just really sucks, it looks really cheap). It's confusing the way they rename the series so much, though; Gensomaden Saiyuki, Saiyuki: Reload, Saiyuki Reload: Gunlock...I remember that the last volume of GS definitely wasn't some kind of series ending that lead to a sequel, either, it just ended like a regular volume would and the next one began normally, as well, it was just renamed and renumbered Vol. 1 to be confusing... *shrug* But I really like that series, and if it weren't for the fact that I don't want to jump into something at Vol. 10 or something without owning all the previous volumes (the same reason Heather has never bought GB, and I don't buy FMA, and we just borrow from each other even though we only get to visit like once a year...we got used to borrowing in high school...), I'd buy it myself.

Oh, also, Rurouni Kenshin. That's a well-known classic, and I had gotten into the Anime years before I read the Manga, but it's probably the only really long Manga I've read every volume of (36 or 37? I forget)...even for GB, the series I have the highest number of books for, I only have up to 27 (I think 28's out though). Borrowed all of those from Heather, too. It's a classic for a reason, though I don't like the Jinchuu arc as much as most fans do...the ending was a letdown. Enishi is cool (though he totally stole Ban's sunglasses and haircut!!), but not nearly as interesting as fans make him out to be, and all the fighters and battles in that arc seemed much more generic than the awesome epicness of the Kyoto arc...the ending after the time skip is nice, and the one-shot sequel he did, Yahiko's Sakabatou, was cute, but eh...fans complain that the Anime didn't do the Jinchuu arc, but I don't think it was all that great. Samurai X covered the important stuff (the flashbacks and the story with Tomoe), but the present-day portions just didn't do it for me. The Kyoto arc was win. And overall, Kenshin is still a classic, and totally would be in my top 10. I just tend to forget series' I haven't read in a long time, or I don't own, so it usually slips my mind, but I'd definitely call it a favorite.

[/walloftext]
Edited by SG2, Jul 24 2009, 04:19 PM.

Kane
Member Avatar

My friend is going to "make" me watch the Black Cat anime next time I'm over at her house. I already love Creed from the little I've heard of him. *grins*

And . . . I hope you don't expect us to actually read all that. ;P

The first two (three?) volumes of YYH actually are almost nothing but stories that didn't make it into the anime. Vol. 2, definitely. Vol. 1, after we see Koenma and Kuwabara's little story, it's pretty different from the anime. Like Yusuke helping this kid get over the death of his dog and Yusuke trying to help this fixated spirit . . . . . It's pretty cute, and kind of explains why Koenma chose Yusuke to be the Spirit Detective, since he was doing a pretty good job of helping Botan and such. I can't remember exactly, but there are quite the handful of stories like that, and there's one really short one sandwiched in between the Saint Beasts and the Save Yukina arc. You also get a cute backstory on Kurama and Hiei. :)

I have not seen or read Detective Conan, but it does look interesting. With Spiral, all the mysteries are somehow connected to the Blade Children, who are connected to Ayumu's brother, who . . . I don't know what he's trying to do. But yeah, the girl with the puppets and stuff is great. Hiyono's her name, right?

SG2
Member Avatar
GB Manga Whore

Haha, I don't expect anyone to read it, but it's there if anyone wants to. Doesn't mean they have to read it all anyways, they might just recognize a series I mentioned and read that part of it. :P

I borrowed the old volumes of Shounen Jump from Heather before we graduated high school because I wanted to see the first chapters of One Piece and Naruto (the first JUMP I got was near the end of the Captain Kuro/Black Cat Pirates stuff in OP, and near the end of the Zabuza arc in Naruto), and so I read (and scanned, actually) all the old YYH chapters. There are a lot of good ones they skipped from the Ghost Yusuke arc, I forgot about those. I've got the scans on my external somewhere. But after that, I didn't remember any Manga stories that weren't in the Anime, and I got to about the Sniper portion of the Sensui arc before my subscription ran out...I must just not remember, or have taken notice that the Anime skipped the later ones. I remember the Kurama/Hiei side-story, though. What's the one between the Maze Castle/Rescue Yukina arcs?

I only saw the first 50 episodes of Detective Conan before Adult Swim pulled it for low ratings. :( I wish I could find it online dubbed, because I got used to the FUNi cast (Jerry Jewel and Laura Bailey in particular, because they're two of my favorites) and the name changes (I don't know why they Americanized almost everyone's names, but regardless, I got used to those names, so learning the Japanese ones is a bit of a pain). I know the Manga is on OneManga, but I don't like the art style that much, and since it's one of the longest running fucking Manga ever (as far as I know it's still going in Japan X_X), I'm not tempted to get into it >.>;; though I do wish they put the Anime back on AS. I really liked what I saw, especially the two-parters, but I don't know if I'd want to spend what little money I have on the DVD's when I could spend it on series' I'm more into.

Kane
Member Avatar

No, the Kurama-Hiei side story was sometime in the Dark Tournament. The one between Maze and Yukina is a little story about two low-class demons impersonating Yusuke and Kuwabara when they're really weak and stiff from their fight with the Saint Beasts.

I'm interested in Detective Conan, too, but I haven't been tempted to buy any of it, though. I know it's influenced by Sherlock Holmes and I love Sherlock Holmes. :)

SG2
Member Avatar
GB Manga Whore

Oh, I remember that chapter now. I remember being really confused when I read it for some reason, maybe because I wasn't realizing it wasn't in the Anime at first? But I remember it, now. :P

Yup, there are a lot of references to Arthur Conan Doyle's work in the series, and obviously, that's where the name 'Conan' comes from in the first place. If you're interested in it, though, the Manga is on OneManga and you could check that out. I've read bits and pieces of it, I just can't adjust to the Japanese names, and I like the art of the Anime better in general, but that'd be a good (and free) way to see if you like the series enough to buy the DVD's.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Manga · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Chatbox

Affiliates

.Wiredvage Theme created by Zeus00 and converted by Wolt of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone