Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Mugenjo - Infinity Fortress, a discussion forum for all things GetBackers.

GetBackers is a Manga series that began in 1999 by writer Yuya Aoki and artist Rando Ayamine, and ran for 39 volumes until its conclusion in 2007. It has been adapted into a popular Anime series as well as several video games. It takes the simple premise of two teenage boys who work as Retrievers, hired guns who will recover anything that's been stolen from you...for the right price. The story has a deep and complex plot buried underneath it and is an engaging and entertaining series with a little something for everyone.

We hope you will enjoy what our board has to offer, be you a fan of the Manga, the Anime, or a newbie who looks to get into the series for the first time. We look forward to seeing you around!!

--Mugenjo Forum Staff

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Official Twilight Haters Club
Topic Started: Jul 19 2009, 05:47 PM (472 Views)
SG2
Member Avatar
GB Manga Whore

My best friend came to visit yesterday, and we took a trip to a few places such as Barnes and Noble and Newbury Comics.

And what did each and every store we went into have in common?

Twilight.

Why is it fucking everywhere? Seriously? Why is this franchise exploding into popularity?! I haven't read or seen it myself, but I'm honestly considering reading the first book just to have good counterpoints to debate with against the idiots that like this shit. I've discussed it with plenty of friends who I know to be intellectuals and talented writers, and I've heard the same things from all of them about what a pathetic excuse for a story this is. The words "bad fanfiction" often come up. Though I guess that it stands to reason that if it's akin to bad fanfiction that's why fangirls the nation (world? Oh dear God I hope not) over are swooning over this cliche and stereotypical portrayal of angst, romance, angst, vampires, angst, angst, vampires, and more angst.

To quote the aforementioned friend on her brilliant review of this series...

Book series that needs to die: TWILIGHT and subsequent novels.

I read the first book. The first one actually didn't bug me so much. I'm not a fan of romance novels normally, since they get so syrupy-sweet to the point when you can feel it sticking to your fingers. Nasty. But this one wasn't QUITE so overboard (initially), and the main character Bella could be related to (by me at least) because she was insecure, had faults, and preferred to read than hang out and party. The writing style was clearly not that great--obviously aimed towards a younger teen audience, and there were a few repetition/grammar issues...but since you could relate to the characters, it was redeemable. The characters, really, were Twilight's saving grace.

THEN THE CRAP BEGAN.

Because from this point on, the author completely LOST her sense of EVERYTHING. The plot took a 180 degree turn and just completely diverted from EVERYTHING that had happened before. The lovey-dovey got poured on until I could feel the book getting sticky (dammit). The author lost sight of how her characters acted--it is very VERY sad when a person writes their own characters OOC. In fact the only thing that really stayed the same was the mediocre writing style...sadly enough.

To top it off, the plots are no longer original. Book 2 is essentially Romeo and Juliet. With Vampires. Book 3? Wuthering Heights, with Vampires (and I hated the original, too). And book 4 is some BADLY-WRITTEN parody of Rosemary's Baby, (with vampires) when all the insane and none of the plot/tension of the movie survived.

The girl wants to have sex with her brand spankin' new vampire husband before she gets vampired herself...because she gets the impression that somehow it'll be totally different when she's undead. Ooookay. Only, she ends up getting pregnant with this half-vamp monster that tries to claw its way out of her stomach...and she refuses to have it removed despite the fact that it is obviously killing her. Only, when it finally DOES claw its way out, surprise--it's adorable and everyone loves it immediately without a hint of hesitation! She gets changed into a vampire in the NICK OF TIME before dying and is the ULTIMATE PERFECT VAMPIRE. She is good at all things vampirical despite having never been one before. She can hunt, sense, and even fight feeding urges easily, something it's taken all the other vamps YEARS of discipline to master.

Um...WTF?

Characters need imperfections, or they become MARY-SUES. I know it's a fanfic term, but honestly, this author turned all her decently-faulted characters into Mary-Sues and Marty-Stu's. This was a bad move because characterization was, as I stated before, its ONLY saving grace. The plot is jumbled, jumping around at random by the end, and this lady can't write fight-scenes for shit. I was LAUGHING at how she described this stuff.

I can't believe I wasted so much time of my life reading this shit.

(Also, the movie-edward is supposed to be 'a mortal god' or an 'adonis' but he's fugly :( )

/END TWILIGHT RANT

~Karma

Soooo, other haters of this abominable franchise, sound off!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kurodo
Member Avatar
Holy talker & GB lover
YEP!! i SO agree with you. gosh, how i hate twilight and these fans. They're everywhere. >__>

edward (robert) is ugly and bella is such a bitch and...argh..why it's so popular? i don't get it. I read it once about one year ago and i didn't like it very much. And movie.okay..i don't wanna even talk about it. It was waste of my time. Seriously. *pukes*

PWR
Member Avatar

I LIKE TWILIGHT, YOU BITCHZ >_>

SG2
Member Avatar
GB Manga Whore

You also liked Dragonball: Evolution.

Your opinion doesn't count. >.>;

Kane
Member Avatar

*snickers at SG2's last comment*

Anyway, I hated the book. I couldn't relate to a single character. And I was only reading it for the werewolf anyway, but he's not revealed to be a werewolf until book 2. And I couldn't finish book 1.

The movie was hysterical. I know it wasn't meant to be a comedy, but that's really what it was. It treated its content seriously, and that's what made it so damn funny. They stayed extremely close to the book, and when I saw the parts (first half) that bored me until I couldn't read it anymore, I burst out laughing because I found it so unrealistic and the vampires so blasted hysterical-looking. I like Robert Pattinson as Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter. He was cute in that movie. As Edward Cullen - pastey, undead Edward Cullen - he looked hilarious. The pastey, undead, vampire look doesn't do his good looks justice, and the scene where he's glittering looks like a low-budget film could do it. But Robert is a good actor, I will give him that. He emersed himself in his role as Cedric Diggory, and emersed himself in Edward Cullen.

It just happens that I can't stand Edward and he looked so damn funny.

The second half of the movie, which was the half of the book that I couldn't bring myself to read, turned the movie into an action flick. I'll give it credit that it wasn't that bad.

But I just couldn't read that book. It was too painful. I do have a Twilight T-shirt, but I got it for Christmas, and when I had told my mother I wanted it, I didn't realize it had the Twilight logo on the back. I only paid attention to the "I Run With Werewolves" on the front, and I'm obsessed with werewolves. So I have contributed to the franchise, but I just HATE that book.

Kurodo
Member Avatar
Holy talker & GB lover
Posted Image

nothing more to say....!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Novels and Comics · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Chatbox

Affiliates

.Wiredvage Theme created by Zeus00 and converted by Wolt of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone