| Blog and Media Roundup - Saturday, January 13, 2018; News Roundup | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Jan 13 2018, 04:22 AM (90 Views) | |
| abb | Jan 13 2018, 04:22 AM Post #1 |
|
http://statenews.com/article/2018/01/arrest-warrant-issued-for-msu-trustee Arrest warrant out for MSU Trustee Mitch Lyons By Marie Weidmayer marie.weidmayer@statenews.com January 12, 2018 11:21 am An arrest warrant was issued for MSU Trustee Mitch Lyons in Jackson County on Dec. 28, 2017, according to court records. The warrant is for one misdemeanor count of assault and battery, but the online records provide no information about the alleged crime. A warrant has been issued for Lyons, but since he has not been arraigned, no more information can be provided by Michigan State police, according to the Lansing State Journal. “The warrant has been cleared and the overall situation is a misunderstanding," Lyons' attorney, Brian Lennon, said in a statement. "We look forward to the facts coming out on this baseless claim and to seeing this legal issue resolved.” Assault and battery carries a penalty of 93 days of imprisonment or a fine of no more than $500, or both, according to the Michigan Penal Code. MSU spokesperson Jason Cody did not respond to request for comment at the time of publication. Lyons has been a trustee since 2011. Last year, Lyons came under fire after he revealed the MSU football player who informed football head coach Mark Dantonio about an alleged sexual assault from January 2017. Lyons apologized for outing the whistleblower during a board of trustees meeting in June 2017. In January 2017, Lyons sent a controversial tweet about the immigration ban, which has since been removed. Lyons read a statement of apology during a board of trustees meeting in February 2017, where he said many took his tweet to mean he thought all Muslims were terrorists and that he wasn't welcoming of international students on MSU's campus. Lyons said the ideas were false and he's against terrorism. Editor's note — This article was updated Jan. 12 at 8:00 p.m. The only change made was the addition of Lennon's statement. |
![]() |
|
| abb | Jan 13 2018, 04:23 AM Post #2 |
|
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/education/2018/01/12/federal-review-finds-uwm-did-not-discriminate-handling-sex-assault-case/1027072001/ Federal review finds UWM did not discriminate in handling of sex assault case Karen Herzog, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Published 11:22 a.m. CT Jan. 12, 2018 | Updated 11:47 a.m. CT Jan. 12, 2018 A federal review of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's handling of a female student's sexual assault case has found insufficient evidence that the university discriminated against the woman or created a sexually hostile school environment for her. The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights received a complaint against UWM May 19, alleging the university failed to "promptly and equitably" respond to the student's fall 2016 report of a sexual assault by another student, as required by federal Title IX legislation. The legislation prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any education program or activity operated by a recipient of federal financial assistance from the Department of Education. UWM is a recipient of federal financial assistance, so is subject to the Title IX requirements. The student alleged that UWM failed to provide her with a prompt and equitable grievance process after she made a 2016 report of sexual assault by another student; it took 81 days instead of the standard 60 days in university policy. She also alleged that UWM did not explain the Title IX process to her or provide her with support; that her adviser encouraged her to drop out of school; and that the staffer who coordinates campus Title IX investigations made an insensitive comment in a meeting. Federal investigators interviewed the female student, her mother and UWM staff, and reviewed documents from both parties. Applying a preponderance of evidence standard, they concluded there was insufficient evidence to establish discrimination. The female student said she was sexually assaulted in a university dorm room by another student after both had been socializing with a group of friends and consuming alcohol. The male student contended the ensuing sexual encounter was consensual. She did not initially report a sexual assault to the university, but later went to campus police. In the process, she also asked her adviser about her options for continuing her studies for the rest of the semester, including whether she could obtain a "withdrawal" for one course, and how that would affect her status as a student. The adviser responded by email that the student could drop her course without affecting her status as a student, and described the university's withdrawal process, according to the federal review. The adviser also offered support, stating, "focusing on yourself and your own well-being is critical right now. School can wait. Clearly you are going through a very difficult time right now, and the last thing you need is additional stress worrying about your class," according to the federal review. The adviser closed the message by stating: "Everyone here at UWM wants to support you. And, whatever you decide is in your best interest, we will certainly do everything possible to try to support those decisions." The university official investigating the sexual assault complaint decided it was equally likely that the woman consented or did not consent to sexual contact. Therefore, she found insufficient evidence of a violation. The woman did receive an indefinite no-contact order for the male student, but her request to have him banned from parts of campus was denied. The university released the following statement Thursday: "We are pleased that the federal investigation found the university handled this student’s complaint appropriately, and we remain committed to providing a supportive environment in which students can feel comfortable making reports and be confident in how reports will be handled. "In the past six months, nearly every university employee has undergone training to raise awareness of sexual harassment and discrimination, and we will continue to seek opportunities to improve awareness of issues related to sexual assault, harassment and discrimination among students and employees. Student success is our primary goal, and while this investigation found our employees acted appropriately, we are always looking for ways to improve our response to sexual violence complaints." |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · DUKE LACROSSE - Liestoppers · Next Topic » |







9:17 AM Jul 11