Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Blog and Media Roundup - Sunday, Decembe 24, 2017; News Roundup
Topic Started: Dec 24 2017, 05:25 AM (110 Views)
abb
Member Avatar

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/nolan-finley/2017/12/23/ag-must-step-nassar-victims/108874028/

Finley: AG must step up for MSU victims
Nolan Finley, The Detroit News Published 10:52 p.m. ET Dec. 23, 2017

Questions about Michigan State University’s role in the molestation of scores of female gymnasts on its campus are not going to answer themselves.

And MSU, fearful of legal liability, obviously has no interest in sorting out how the university may have failed the scores of young girls and women who were the victims of Dr. Larry Nassar over the course of nearly a quarter century.

So it will be up to someone else to determine whether anyone at Michigan State could have acted sooner to put a stop to this monster.

The most likely someone is Attorney General Bill Schuette, who pressed the criminal sexual assault cases against Nassar but has shown little urgency to probe the university and its officials for possible negligence.

But evidence is building that MSU continued to deliver victims to Dr. Nassar while ignoring clear warning flags about his behavior. These new reports are disturbing and demand a thorough investigation.

That’s Schuette’s job, and he has to do it.

The attorney general must empanel a grand jury to examine the evidence that suggests MSU has been engaged in a cover up that first enabled Nassar to continue his assaults and then sought to shield university officials from accountability.

Over the past week, investigative reporting by The Detroit News, the Lansing State Journal and other outlets has uncovered, among other things, that for 16 months while MSU campus police were investigating the molestation allegations, the university allowed Nassar to continue treating female athletes.

During that time, he was supposed to have another person in the room whenever he was seeing a patient. But a medical assistant whose job it was to be in the exam room was ordered out by Nassar. And after she informed university officials, she was fired.

Also, Olympic gymnastic champion McKayla Maroney, who is suing MSU in federal court along with 150 other Nassar victims, revealed USA Gymnastics, which also used Nassar to treat its athletes, paid her $1.2 million to remain silent about the abuse, a settlement that appears to violate California law.

Previous reporting revealed gymnasts had complained of Nassar’s treatment to MSU Coach Kathie Klages, who ignored them, and that Nassar’s boss, Dr. William Strampel, was aware enough of what was going on to urge the doctor to alter his practices.

There’s too much smoke not to think there is a fire somewhere.

The attorney general must reopen the Nassar investigation to focus on whether MSU officials failed to protect these women and girls, some as young as 10 years old. A spokesman for the AG said last week he couldn’t comment on whether that’s his intent.

There’s no indication that these victims have been interviewed by investigators to find out who at MSU they told about what was happening to them. That would be a good place for the attorney general’s staff to start.

Duty demands Schuette dig out the answers these young sexual assault victims crave to help put the trauma behind them. Answers MSU, a public institution, refuses to give them.

nfinley@detroitnews.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
abb
Member Avatar

http://en.brinkwire.com/40695/ncaa-grants-extra-year-to-north-carolinas-artis-after-sexual-assault-battery-charges-dismissed/


NCAA grants extra year to North Carolina’s Artis after sexual assault, battery charges dismissed
0
By Brinkwire on December 24, 2017 News

RALEIGH, N.C. — The NCAA has granted additional eligibility for a North Carolina player who missed most of the 2016 season amid charges of sexual battery and assault on a female student.

Those misdemeanor charges were dismissed and attorney Kerry Sutton told The Associated Press on Thursday that the NCAA granted an appeal this week allowing Allen Artis to play the 2018 season. The senior reserve safety must sit two games because he played in two games in 2016 before being indefinitely suspended following his arrest on the charges brought by the student.

Artis had said they had consensual sex during in February 2016 and denied wrongdoing . Charges were dismissed in June and UNC reinstated Artis to the team about a week later.

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn confirmed the decision to the AP but declined further comment.

“We asked the Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee to restore Allen Artis’ 2016 season of competition, and the committee has done so,” UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham said in a statement to the AP.

Sutton said Artis — who had 11 tackles in 12 games last year — graduated last weekend in Chapel Hill and has been accepted into UNC’s Master of Accounting program.

“UNC made the decision to suspend Allen based on the information they had at the time,” Sutton said in a statement. “Unfortunately, and as we now know, some of the information they based their decision on was untrue.”

According to an arrest warrant, Artis had sex with the student against her will when he should have known she was “mentally incapacitated and physically helpless.”

The student, Delaney Robinson, held a September 2016 news conference with her attorney, saying she had filed for the misdemeanor charges after police and prosecutors indicated there wasn’t enough evidence to pursue felony charges.

Artis’ attorneys have said UNC determined he didn’t violate campus policy in his contact with the student, while a misconduct decision could have led to his expulsion. Attorneys were preparing to go to trial in July before Orange County district attorney Jim Woodall dismissed the misdemeanor charges because “the matter has been resolved to the satisfaction of the parties.”

Robinson’s attorney said at the time that they had worked “diligently at mediation” to reach a confidential resolution.

“I keep saying this,” Sutton said in her statement, “but every win we’ve gotten for Allen, at UNC, in court and now at the NCAA, feels like the best moment of my career.”
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DUKE LACROSSE - Liestoppers · Next Topic »
Add Reply