| Blog and Media Roundup - Tuesday, December 12, 2017; News Roundup | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Dec 12 2017, 04:21 AM (80 Views) | |
| abb | Dec 12 2017, 04:21 AM Post #1 |
|
https://www.chronicle.com/article/Why-Is-Michigan-State-s/242034 Why Is Michigan State’s President Facing Calls to Resign? By Sarah Brown December 11, 2017 Over the past 10 days, the calls have intensified for Lou Anna K. Simon, president of Michigan State University, to step down. The main impetus: increased outrage over Dr. Larry Nassar, the former Michigan State physician and USA Gymnastics team doctor who is accused of abusing dozens of women and girls, and questions of whether university officials knew about his misconduct. But that's not the only reason Ms. Simon, who has led Michigan State since 2005, is taking heat. The university's handling of sexual assault has been heavily scrutinized for years. Dr. Nassar, who was an associate professor in Michigan State's College of Osteopathic Medicine, pleaded guilty last month to multiple counts of criminal sexual conduct and earlier this year to child-pornography charges. He will spend decades in prison. Michigan State is being sued by several of Dr. Nassar's victims on the grounds that university officials didn't do enough to protect them from his abuse. He worked at the institution until 2016. Related Content Tracking Higher Ed’s #MeToo Moment: Updates on Sexual Assault and Harassment Last week, the Lansing State Journal published a scathing editorial asserting that "Lou Anna Simon is no longer the right person to lead Michigan State University," citing "MSU's inability to keep women safe from sexual assault and harassment on campus." Tom Leonard, speaker of the Michigan House of Representatives, said on Sunday that he, too, thought Ms. Simon should resign. He also called for an independent investigation into Michigan State. If such an investigation isn't underway in the coming weeks, he said, state lawmakers should consider withholding funds from the university as a means of forcing officials to answer questions about Dr. Nassar. "At best, you have clearly proven yourself grossly incompetent," Mr. Leonard, a Republican, wrote in a Facebook post about Ms. Simon and Michigan State. "At worst, you are covering something up and shielding bad actors from the justice these victims deserve. It is well past time for all of us to find out the truth." Long before Dr. Nassar's case made headlines, Michigan State faced a yearslong federal investigation into how officials responded to sexual-assault reports. In 2015, the Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights concluded that the university's sexual-misconduct policies had created a "hostile environment," violating Title IX, the gender-equity law. In a resolution agreement with the civil-rights office, the university agreed to ramp up its prevention and response efforts by providing students and staff with more training and revising its policies to ensure that investigations would be completed more quickly. Though Michigan State officials said they had already made progress toward those goals at the time the agreement was announced, in September 2015, some students weren't satisfied. Four female students filed suit two months later, alleging that the university was slow to complete investigations and that, as a result, at least one male student who had committed sexual assault remained on campus and continued to harass his original victim and other women. Earlier this year, three Michigan State football players were charged with sexual assault. The university commissioned an outside investigation into how its athletic department had handled the allegations. It found that Mark Dantonio, the head football coach, had complied with university policies, though a football staff member who didn't notify the Title IX office or the police once he learned of the allegations was fired. The football players were dismissed from the team after the charges were filed. The university was hit with two more lawsuits this fall. One lawsuit came from a male student who was found responsible for violating the university's sexual-assault policy and suspended. He alleges that Michigan State didn't uphold his due-process rights during the investigation. The other came from a woman who said that she was sexually assaulted by a football player in 2015 and that the university failed to provide her with counseling and other support services. The university is in the midst of an outside review of its Title IX policies, commissioned by Ms. Simon. Lawyers from Husch Blackwell completed their first report last month, which found that Michigan State's policies and procedures were not only compliant with Title IX, they were also "among the most comprehensive and robust we have seen." The reviewers are now assessing institutional training and education efforts on sexual-assault prevention and response and will finish a second report in the spring of 2018. Michigan State's board has thrown its support behind Ms. Simon despite the recent criticism. In a response to the Lansing State Journal's editorial, its members wrote that she "has proven her commitment to helping the university when it comes to the societal issue of sexual misconduct." Part of the problem, they wrote, is that privacy laws and litigation prevent university officials from discussing details of the sexual-assault cases that have drawn scrutiny. "This situation is exacerbated by those who selectively ignore other facts about MSU's continuous improvement and the many details available about our progress," they wrote. The university did not immediately respond to The Chronicle's request for comment. Reporters who have sought comment from Michigan State previously have been referred to the response issued by the board. Sarah Brown writes about a range of higher-education topics, including sexual assault, race on campus, and Greek life. Follow her on Twitter @Brown_e_Points, or email her at sarah.brown@chronicle.com. |
![]() |
|
| abb | Dec 12 2017, 04:22 AM Post #2 |
|
https://theaggie.org/2017/12/11/uc-creates-title-ix-student-advisory-board/ UC creates Title IX student advisory board Priyanka Shreedar — campus@theaggie.org UC seeks student input on sexual harassment policies The UC Office of the President put out a press release on Nov. 14 announcing the creation of an “inaugural student advisory board” which will provide “input on UC sexual harassment and sexual violence issues.” The board will be made up of nine undergraduate students and eight graduate students, one from each undergraduate UC campus. Board members will serve for 18-month terms beginning in January of 2018. According to the press release from UCOP, the student board members will be expected to “serve as liaisons to students on their campuses and help advise the university’s system-wide Title IX office on its ongoing prevention and response efforts.” Kathleen Salvaty, the systemwide Title IX Officer, stated her hopes for the input provided by the Student Advisory Board in UCOP’s press release. “This board will play a crucial role by providing a much-needed student perspective,” Salvaty said. “I look forward to hearing students’ concerns and ideas, and leveraging their input so we can further improve university policies.” Rebecca Nelson, the chair of the ASUCD Gender and Sexuality Commission, expressed her enthusiasm and support for the establishment of the Advisory Board. “This was something that I was a huge proponent of,” Nelson said. “I think it’s really important, given that normally students don’t have access to that information or access to having […] their own voice in regards to how hate crimes or hate violence are handled, or even sexual assault.” According to Nelson, the majority of information about hate crimes and sexual harassment situations is limited to a few select individuals and is closed off from students. “A lot of hate crimes and sexual violence reports are completely confidential and sealed from students for the most part, so the only people who see those are the director of Title IX and the directors of the Harassment and Discrimination Assistance and Prevention Program,” Nelson said. Nelson also discussed the impact this systemwide change may have on UC Davis, potentially leading to increased transparency in university processes when dealing with situations regarding sexual harassment and assault. “We have tried, and so has the Sexual Assault Advocacy Committee, […] to ask for a task force that interacts with Title IX so students can get an idea of what’s happening on campus, [including] how frats are being held accountable,” Nelson said. “Title IX said no due to federal law and confidentiality. I don’t think that’s something that should bar students from being involved in issues that concern us and are being swept under the rug. I don’t think that administration has appropriately handled a lot of these cases and I think they keep the university’s public image in mind more, or [tend to] protect abusers more than hold them accountable.” The application for the Title IX Student Advisory Board has been extended until Friday, Dec. 8. Applicants chosen for a seat on the board will be notified the first week of January. |
![]() |
|
| abb | Dec 12 2017, 04:24 AM Post #3 |
|
http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2017/12/woman_who_lied_about_rape_on_c.html Woman who lied about rape on college campus mentally fit for trial Updated Dec 11, 10:29 AM; Posted Dec 11, 10:30 AM By Cole Waterman cwaterma@mlive.com BAY CITY, MI -- A woman who falsely claimed a man raped her in a Delta College parking lot has been deemed psychologically fit for trial. Bay County District Judge Mark E. Janer on Thursday, Dec. 7, signed an order stating 21-year-old Mary T. Zolkowski is competent to participate in court proceedings. Janer based his ruling on reports from staff at the Center for Forensic Psychiatry in Ypsilanti. Janer in early October granted defense counsel James F. Piazza's request to have Zolkowski sent to the facility to undergo an evaluation to assess her competency and criminal responsibility. In light of this ruling, Zolkowski's case is now to proceed to a preliminary examination at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 9. At that hearing, the prosecution will be tasked with presenting evidence indicating there is a probable cause that a crime was committed and that Zolkowski committed it. If prosecutors succeed in this, Janer will bind Zolkowski's case over to Circuit Court for trial. Woman who falsely claimed to have been raped to undergo psych exam Woman who falsely claimed to have been raped to undergo psych exam 21-year-old claimed a stranger raped her at Delta College. Zolkowski is charged with false report of a felony, itself a felony punishable by up to four years' imprisonment and a $2,000 fine. She was arraigned Aug. 14. The charge dates back to Feb. 22, when Zolkowski's mother called the Delta College Public Safety Office to report that her daughter was claiming she had been raped on the campus at 1961 Delta Road in Bay County's Frankenlust Township. On the phone with police, Zolkowski said that about 5:50 p.m. that day, she had been walking to her vehicle, fumbling with her keys, when a man grabbed her from behind. She said he grabbed her face and throat and proceeded to rape her, without wearing a condom. When it was over, the assailant jumped into the passenger seat of a vehicle and took off. Zolkowski could not provide a description of the vehicle, adding she "kind of blacked out," court records show. She only described her attacker as a black man. Police began a lengthy investigation, despite Zolkowski expressing unwillingness to participate or submit to a physical examination. During it, investigators learned a parolee with sexual assault convictions was on campus at the time of the alleged attack. He denied any knowledge of the incident and passed a polygraph test. At one point, Zolkowski told investigators she dropped her classes at Delta due to the attack, but police learned she had in fact dropped her classes prior to Feb. 22. After failing to turn up any evidence that the sexual assault had occurred, police again spoke with Zolkowski, who changed her story to say she had been raped by an acquaintance earlier on Feb. 22 at his Saginaw Township apartment. She did not want this man prosecuted, she told police. Police interviewed the man Zolkowski named as her assailant. He said he had been with Zolkowski on Feb. 22 and that they had engaged in consensual sexual intercourse. He provided investigators with text messages they had exchanged, in which Zolkowski claims to have been raped by a stranger at Walmart after they had separated. In another message, Zolkowski asks the man not to participate in the police investigation, court records show. Zolkowski is free on bond. |
![]() |
|
| abb | Dec 12 2017, 04:27 AM Post #4 |
|
http://missoulian.com/news/local/petition-in-support-of-the-return-of-bobby-hauck-draws/article_e58c4536-521f-5fac-b2d9-b846295bd7f8.html Petition in support of the return of Bobby Hauck draws more than 2,700 signatures KEILA SZPALLER keila.szpaller@missoulian.com Dec 11, 2017 Updated 3 hrs ago Bobby Hauck's fans are rallying in support of his return as University of Montana Grizzlies football coach in a petition that had drawn more than 2,700 signatures by Monday afternoon. "We will cheer him on as he leads his athletes to new heights and encourages these student-athletes to be positive role models, productive community members, and quality representatives of Grizzlies athletics," reads the petition started on an eGriz.com forum. Hauck coached the Grizzlies football team from 2003 to 2009 and racked up 80 wins, the second-highest number of victories in UM history. Griz supporters from Montana and beyond signed the letter thanking Hauck for his return, some with personal comments. "Bobby is a great man and coach from a great Montana family," wrote signer Dave Hahn in a comment. "He has the ability to get our football program back to dominance! Welcome home, Bobby!" Signer Loren Lee said the decision to bring back Hauck confirms change for the better: "I suspect Hauck has learned much since his last gig at UM, as has the university." Currently, Hauck is on staff at San Diego State University, and he earlier coached at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. The decision to hire him again at UM has revealed fractures in the community, with the petition in favor of his return coming on the heels of one opposing his hiring and a call from some faculty that UM reconsider his contract. Hauck's detractors argue his tenure contributed to a climate that led to federal investigations of the campus for mishandling sexual assault and blemished the flagship's reputation. Monday, Athletic Director Kent Haslam said the decisions he makes will be popular with some and unpopular with others, and said there will be bumps in the road. Within the athletic department, though, Haslam said he wants to ensure the focus remains on the overall success of student athletes. "I knew in hiring Coach Hauck that there would be no middle ground," Haslam said. "There would be a lot of emotions on both sides, and I think that's been manifest. "But I'm excited to move forward in a really positive way and make sure that we do all we can to unify and continue to work hard to advance the mission of the university." *** UM officials have said reconsideration of Hauck's hiring is not on the table, but note Hauck will hold conversations with the campus and community about their concerns. In an earlier letter to faculty, Haslam said both he and Hauck are "absolutely committed to operating an athletic department that is focused on success in the classroom, community and competition." Monday, Haslam said the forums with Hauck likely will be scheduled after the first of the year, and the coach is eager to take questions: "He's anxious to get out to the community and across campus. We just need to get him here and get his family here." The contract with Hauck sets requirements for player conduct off the field. One section requires the coach, his assistant coaches and football student athletes to "foster a culture of collaboration within the department, across campus, and within the community." Last week, Haslam noted the NCAA recently mandated that student athletes have sexual harassment training — a requirement UM instituted five years earlier. In their petition, supporters of Hauck note they fully expect him to create a positive, caring and inclusive culture within his team. They also expect he will use the student athlete code of conduct to appropriately discipline players who fail to be positive representatives of the team, UM, and the Missoula community. "Coach Hauck has had a tremendous role and influence in the positive development of hundreds of student-athletes during his tenure with the University of MT," reads the petition. "Many of these former athletes have voiced their strong, supportive opinion of Coach Hauck during this hiring process. "We fully support and expect Coach Hauck and his staff to continue to be a positive influence in helping each of these student-athletes reach their full potential." |
![]() |
|
| Quasimodo | Dec 12 2017, 07:01 AM Post #5 |
|
Good thing he wasn't at Duke. He could have been cleared by DNA testing and it wouldn't have mattered... |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
![]() Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today. Learn More · Register for Free |
|
| « Previous Topic · DUKE LACROSSE - Liestoppers · Next Topic » |







9:18 AM Jul 11