| Blog and Media Roundup - Monday, March 17, 2014; News Roundup | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Mar 17 2014, 06:54 AM (156 Views) | |
| abb | Mar 17 2014, 06:54 AM Post #1 |
|
Brian Banks -- I Reached Out To Jameis Winston During Sexual Assault Case 3/17/2014 12:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF Exonerated football star Brian Banks tells TMZ Sports he's now focused on becoming a life coach -- and last year contacted Jameis Winston to offer advice and encouragement when the FSU star was at the center of a sexual assault investigation. Banks -- who spent 5 years behind bars for a rape he didn't commit -- wouldn't tell us what he and Winston talked about ... saying they made a pact to never discuss it. He also says privacy is the number one rule of life coach training. Banks himself was a standout high school football player when he was accused of rape by a classmate. He was convicted and went to prison ... but his accuser later admitted she had lied and the conviction was overturned. After his release from prison, Brian had a brief fling last year with the Atlanta Falcons ... but he says he's done with football for now. He wants to concentrate on life coaching and other projects -- including an upcoming movie about his life. Winston seems to have been moved by Banks' story ... he recently posted one of Banks' speeches on his Twitter account. Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/03/17/brian-banks-jameis-winston-sexual-assault-life-coach-advice/#ixzz2wDiN71ID |
![]() |
|
| abb | Mar 17 2014, 06:56 AM Post #2 |
|
http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2014/03/17/duke-kunshan-application-deadlines-extended Duke Kunshan application deadlines extended By Lauren Carroll | March 17, 2014 Potential members of Duke Kunshan University’s inaugural class, which will arrive on the campus this Fall, have a few extra weeks to submit applications. Despite original due dates in March, DKU administrators extended application deadlines for the undergraduate semester abroad, now due April 1, as well as the medical physics and global health masters programs, now due April 15. Extending the deadline was always a possibility because of the short recruitment season, which began after DKU received the final stamp of approval from the Chinese Ministry of Education last semester, said Nora Bynum, vice provost for DKU and China initiatives. Although she did not provide a specific number of applicants, Bynum said DKU administrators are pleased so far with the number and quality of applicants. As the application process continues, Bynum said she anticipates more applicants will come from China, and the recruiting season generally picks up after the Lunar New Year, which was in January. The DKU team in China is busy with “roadshows,” recruiting from Chinese universities, she said. “We have fairly modest enrollment goals,” Bynum said. “I think we will be able to meet those modest goals.” In the first semester, administrators expect to have 15 to 20 people per graduate program and about 50 undergraduates, though the latter is hard to predict. Last semester, however, administrators gave a different goal for the undergraduate program. Wyatt Bruton, DKU undergraduate recruiting coordinator, told The Chronicle in November that DKU hoped to enroll 100 students—50 from China and 50 from other countries. Keith Dear, faculty director of the master's of science in global health at DKU, called the original deadline a “priority deadline,” which was intended to encourage students to apply early. Applicants to the medical physics and global health programs can submit applications after the deadline, as well, according to the DKU website. The DKU master of management studies program through the Fuqua School of Business, which starts with a semester in Durham, has a rolling application process that began last Fall. The medical physics program has so far received six applications—three from China and three from other countries not including the U.S.—said DKU program director of medical physics Fang-Fang Yin, who hopes to receive between 30 and 40 total applications. Recruitment challenges for medical physics include getting information to the students who are potentially interested, as well as making sure these possible applicants have time to take the required exams. Bynum added that she is particularly pleased with the number, diversity and quality of applicants coming out of Duke. According to the DKU website, nearly 30 faculty and administrative positions are also open. “We’re filling [the positions] at a rate that is appropriate,” Bynum said. Earlier this month, the University announced a $2 million gift from an anonymous donor to fund the scholarships for the undergraduate semester abroad program, as well as creating a Talent Identification Program in China. The majority of the funds from that gift will go to DKU, said Wendy Kuran, associate vice president for business development for DKU and China. The scholarship will support any student in and outside of China who wants to attend DKU. The cost of attending DKU was a concern while the school was going through the approval process with the Chinese Ministry of Education because higher education is cheaper in China than it is in the United States. In its first semester, the undergraduate semester abroad tuition price is $22,900 for American and other non-Chinese students. Tuition will cost undergraduate Chinese students only RMB 24,400—about 4,000 U.S. dollars. Housing is waived for the first semester for all students. First-semester tuition for the masters programs will cost American and other non-Chinese students around $23,000. The Chinese students will pay RMB 80,000, which is about 13,000 in U.S. dollars. Although she did not have a specific number, Kuran said DKU is on track to make a $10 million philanthropic goal by 2019. Their main focus, she added, is raising money from people and organizations in China. “That’s the goal on the books,” she said. “As we are in China and having successes, we will continue to evaluate that.” |
![]() |
|
| abb | Mar 17 2014, 06:58 AM Post #3 |
|
http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2014/03/17/reorienting-discussion-about-sex-work Reorienting the discussion about sex work By Diane Nelson, Gunther Peck, Pete Sigal, Antonio Viego, and Robyn Wiegman | March 17, 2014 We are Duke faculty members who engage in research and teaching related to sex, sexuality and sex work. The recent revelations regarding a Duke student’s decision to work in pornography have unleashed distressing attacks on her person, and we want to join with other members of the Duke community who have supported her against this onslaught of hate. These attacks include vicious name-calling, threats of sexual violence and outing her to family and friends. Many attackers hide under the cloak of anonymity, amplified by social media. While she is the current target, the toxic and derogatory words used to describe her are sadly familiar and part of a long history of shaming women involved in sex work. Our obligation as Duke faculty is to help shift the focus from moral judgment to an examination of the larger social issues at stake. To that end, we want to highlight four persistent problems in current discussions. First, the moral agenda that accompanies the denunciation of sex work is built on a double standard that criminalizes the women who do sex work while ignoring the activities of the (largely) male consumer of pornography. A broader consideration of consumption is necessary to understand the gendered dimensions of the sex industry, not to similarly criminalize the consumer but to dislodge the ideologies about male and female sexuality on which the double standard is based. Second, the assumption that women who use the language of pleasure and pride to describe their sex work are naïve is a patronizing denial of the authority usually granted to personal experience. It is doubly patronizing to assume that college students are too young to make their own decisions or to understand the complexity of sex as commerce. Third, the blanket condemnation of sex work obscures the importance of considering the complex power dynamics engaged in all forms of sexual activity. A university intent on educating the whole person will engage the study of sex in ways that address the diversity of its social, economic and affective forms. Fourth, the use of feminism to chastise sex workers betrays feminism’s own complex history of debate about women’s participation in the sex industry and falsely presents liberal pro-sex positions as the only available antidote to anti-pornography arguments. A fuller engagement with feminist scholarship would yield more nuanced perspectives on sex, work and agency. It is our hope that members of the Duke community will join us in reaffirming the centrality of the university’s academic mission. As we see it, sex in any of its forms would not so easily lend itself to scandal if our critical ability to discuss it were not so deeply impoverished. Diane Nelson, professor of cultural anthropology Gunther Peck, associate professor of history and public policy Pete Sigal, professor of history Antonio Viego, associate professor of literature and Spanish and Latin American studies Robyn Wiegman, professor of literature and women’s studies |
![]() |
|
| abb | Mar 17 2014, 07:01 AM Post #4 |
|
http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2014/03/mlaxdukeperspective_03-17 Duke too much for UNC men's lacrosse By Madison Way | The Daily Tar Heel Updated: 8 hours ago Duke men’s lacrosse coach John Danowski encourages his players to shoot until they get hot. That philosophy led to 41 Duke shots and 15 saves by UNC goalkeeper Kieran Burke in Duke’s 9-8 win against UNC. Defending a team launching upwards of 13 shots in a period was a challenge for UNC. And Duke senior attackman Jordan Wolf said he was impressed by the Tar Heels’ response. “We missed a lot of shots, and (UNC’s) goalie made great saves all over the place,” Wolf said. “Their defense played well. It was just one of those days where you have to keep shooting to get hot and they eventually fell like we thought they were going to. I give them all the credit in the world. They did great.” UNC’s offense wasn’t standstill either. The Tar Heels outshot Duke with 46 attempts of their own. Duke goalkeeper Luke Aaron remained calm under pressure, matching Burke’s 15 saves. Aaron usually splits minutes with junior Kyle Turri. In Saturday’s game, Danowski didn’t think to pull Aaron, who got into a rhythm early in the first half. “(Aaron was) only giving up one goal in 15 minutes and then two goals in another 15 minutes,” Danowski said. “It just seemed like it made a lot of sense to keep Aaron in.” After 60 minutes of relentless shooting and dynamic defense, the evenly-paired Duke and North Carolina moved into sudden-death overtime. On the first possession of overtime, Wolf saw teammate Christian Walsh with the ball and prepared to end it. “Not much to it,” Wolf said. “Walsh took his guy down the wing, and he came behind, and I could have flattened out. We have a lot of chemistry. I’ve been playing with Christian Walsh for awhile, and I knew he was going to throw it to me and set a pick. “Once he threw it, I attacked the ball and walked around the guy who played me topside and spun and scored.” Cue the Blue Devil dog-piles, roaring crowds and Tar Heel head-hanging. Back in the Duke locker room, music blasted and players jumped on benches. “Ice up, son” was scrawled on the whiteboard. Danowski said the lacrosse rivalry couldn’t compare to the Duke-UNC basketball rivalry, but that the game was still important to the team. “The Carolina game is so much fun,” Danowski said. “We never get crowds like this, so that made it really exciting and fun, and we’re playing a great opponent who’s extremely well-coached and talented. So, that’s enough.” sports@dailytarheel.com |
![]() |
|
| Quasimodo | Mar 17 2014, 07:56 AM Post #5 |
|
Gang of 88 members:
|
![]() |
|
| Quasimodo | Mar 17 2014, 07:56 AM Post #6 |
|
Ed Rickards would have had a field day with this... |
![]() |
|
| abb | Mar 17 2014, 08:02 AM Post #7 |
|
It seems we're never disappointed in the lunacy of the G88 types. Hypocrisy is apparently not in their lexicon. |
![]() |
|
| Mason | Mar 17 2014, 01:21 PM Post #8 |
|
Parts unknown
|
. Durham Woman Murdered http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9468906 ++++++ . Edited by Mason, Mar 17 2014, 01:21 PM.
|
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · DUKE LACROSSE - Liestoppers · Next Topic » |







7:35 PM Jul 10