| Blog and Media Roundup - Wednesday, March 12, 2014; News Roundup | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Mar 12 2014, 04:00 AM (124 Views) | |
| abb | Mar 12 2014, 04:00 AM Post #1 |
|
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-lacros/recaps/031114aaa.html Marquette Men's Lax Defeated By No. 6/4 Duke 20-9 MU's Tyler Melnyk scores hat trick in game televised by ESPN3 March 11, 2014 DURHAM, N.C. -- The Marquette University men's lacrosse team faced flurry of goal scoring and fell to the host Duke Blue Devils 20-9 Tuesday night at Koskinen Stadium, a game that was featured on ESPN3. v No. 6/4 Duke (5-2) got out to a blistering start, winning the opening faceoff and scoring its first goal just 41 seconds into the game. The Blue Devils continued to dominate the faceoff X in the first quarter to jump out to an 11-1 lead. "We went down 10-1 to a great team and could've folded and our guys committed to playing our way and getting better," said MU head coach Joe Amplo. "We didn't worry about the scoreboard, we just played hard. That's a very good team, their attack is as good as it gets. We got better tonight and I'm so proud of our guys and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's work." Marquette (1-5) found its footing in the second quarter when freshman Andy DeMichiei assisted Tyler Melnyk on his second goal. Following a Marquette defensive stop, the Golden Eagles proceeded to have a strong possession that ended in Melnyk finding a cutting Kyle Whitlow, who flipped the ball behind his head and past the Duke goalie for his ninth goal of the season. Jordan Wolf paced the Blue Devils with five points in the first half. MU outscored Duke in the second quarter 4-3, however, on Melnyk's fourth hat trick of the season and Sam Lindsey's first collegiate goal. Lindsey, a sophomore hailing from Durham, N.C. made his first career start Tuesday night. Wolf would finish with eight points to pace the Blue Devils. Redshirt senior faceoff specialist Cullen Cassidy won multiple faceoffs in the third quarter. His fifth of the game resulted in a spectacular goal moments later when he put a shot by Duke goalie Kyle Turri, but went down with an injury on the play. "He's as tough as they come and we're praying his injury isn't as severe as it looks," said Amplo. "[Cassidy] came here for a reason: to help develop our culture, and he has. He continues to leave his stamp on the program by how hard he plays." MU used all four faceoff men on its roster Tuesday night, all of whom won at least two battles in the faceoff X. Also, all three goalies for the Golden Eagles saw playing time. They combined to make seven saves on the night. The Golden Eagles conclude their spring break road trip with a matchup with Detroit on Saturday, March 15 at 11 a.m. central time (noon ET). |
![]() |
|
| abb | Mar 12 2014, 04:01 AM Post #2 |
|
http://www.theind.com/news/indreporter/16710-did-victor-white-iii-really-shoot-himself Tuesday, 11 March 2014 13:19 by Patrick Flanagan Did Victor White III really shoot himself? Victor White III allegedly died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound earlier this month while in the custody of the Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office, but what doesn’t add up (at least not yet) is that he was handcuffed at the time of the shooting. The 22-year-old White was arrested by the sheriff’s office March 2, after deputies responded to a fight and discovered he was in possession of illegal narcotics, according to a press release issued by Louisiana State Police, which is investigating the shooting. According to the release: White was taken into custody, handcuffed behind his back, and transported to the ... Sheriff’s Office for processing. Once at the Sheriff’s Office, White became uncooperative and refused to exit the deputy’s vehicle. As the deputy requested assistance from other deputies, White produced a handgun and fired one round striking himself in the back. Shortly after, White was pronounced dead, and his case has since raised a number of questions: How did the deputy find drugs, but not a handgun during frisking? How was White able to get his hands on the gun and successfully pull the trigger while in cuffs? Did the gun belong to White or the arresting deputy? Is there surveillance footage of the incident, either from inside the patrol car or from cameras located in the parking lot of the sheriff’s office? So far, only one of those questions has been answered: There is no video footage, according to an interview between the Acadiana Advocate and Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office spokesman Lt. Anthony Green. The IND reached out to Green, but he deferred comment to State Police. According to State Police spokesman Trooper Stephen Hammons, who spoke by phone Tuesday with The IND, the investigation into White’s death is ongoing. Asked whether the gun belonged to White or the arresting deputy, Hammons says that’s something investigators are looking into, as is the potential for someone to shoot themselves while their hands are cuffed behind their back. “It’s difficult to speculate as to the details of how it would occur, but certainly our investigators are looking into that,” says Hammons. “We’ve investigated in-custody deaths before, and each case is unique in the length of time it takes to investigate. We’ll work out all the facts and present what we find to the [district attorney’s] office. To say when the investigation will be complete would just be speculation.” Surprisingly, White’s case is not unique, as at least two similar incidents have been reported in recent years, the first involving Chavis Carter, who after being arrested in Jonesboro, Ark., for possession of marijuana, shot himself in the head while handcuffed in the back of a police cruiser in 2012. The next incident involved Jesus Huerta, a North Carolina teenager who also died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound while handcuffed in the back of a police cruiser on Nov. 19, 2013. 2f4566602802b0540f022b97bc997307 Rev. Raymond Brown of National Action Now New Orleans To defend the arresting deputy in the Huerta case, Durham Police Chief Anthony Marsh, according to a report by the New York Post, used the Chavis Carter case to show how a person could shoot themselves while handcuffed, saying, “Not only can it be done, it has been done.” What the chief failed to mention was that Carter died from a gunshot wound to the right temple, but according to a report by Gawker, his mother claims her son was a lefty. Like the Huerta and Chavis cases, the peculiar circumstances surrounding White's death have drawn protests from family members. In an interview with MadamNoire, White's sister, Keisha Davis, spoke out: "They have issued a statement that he shot himself, but we know that's not true. We will not stop until justice is served." The family has since reached out to Rev. Raymond Brown of National Action Now New Orleans. "They claim they have no camera out there by the lock-up area, so our position is there's nothing we can do but accuse you of murder," Brown tells The IND in a phone interview. For Brown, State Police is not the proper authority to investigate White's death. "We need an independent investigation on matters like this, an investigation that leaves no table un-turned and leaves the people without any suspicion of a cover-up," says Brown. "We think the U.S. Department of Justice should investigate these types of deaths." Brown says his organization and the NAACP are organizing a rally in New Iberia to raise awareness and protest the handling of White's death. "We impress upon the white community to get involved with us and help fight this evil coming out of this community," says Brown. |
![]() |
|
| abb | Mar 12 2014, 04:01 AM Post #3 |
|
http://www.cotwa.info/2014/03/public-outcry-over-rape-in-military.html Tuesday, March 11, 2014 Public outcry over rape in the military: innocents beware One of the issues this blog seeks to raise awareness about is the danger to the presumptively innocent of a public outcry over rape. Public outcries can skew the decision-making processes of prosecutors, college administrators, and military leaders and sometimes prompt them to bring charges, to proceed with cases, or to take other actions that enhance the likelihood of punishing the innocent. Here's a news story about one such public outcry, this one in the military: Army sexual assault case paused while false testimony evidence considered FORT BRAGG, N.C., March 10 (UPI) -- Emails turned over by the prosecution in the sexual assault case against Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair raised questions that the Pentagon may have interfered with a possible plea bargain. Col. James L. Pohl, the judge, dismissed the jury for the day Monday to consider new evidence that senior officials at Fort Bragg, N.C., discussed fears Sinclair's primary accuser may have falsely testified. The defense team accuses the Pentagon of unlawfully interfering to prohibit the offer of a plea deal as it faces increased pressure to clamp down on a sexual assault crisis in the military. The lead prosecutor, Lt. Col. William Helixon, resigned from the case after he was unable to persuade his superiors to dismiss the most serious charges against Sinclair. Emails revealed over the weekend showed the Army's most senior lawyer at Fort Bragg had also expressed concerns about the accuser's testimony. “It is possible that she was not truthful,” Col. Michael Lacey, the senior military lawyer at Fort Bragg’s XVIII Airborne Corps, wrote to the Corps commanding officer, Lt. Gen. Joseph Anderson, following the accuser's January 7 testimony about finding an old iPhone that contained messages between herself and Sinclair. Forensic analysis was shown to conflict with her testimony. Sinclair, 51, is accused of forcing a captain to perform oral sex and threatened to kill her and her family if she revealed their affair. The accuser, 34, confirmed she had previously engaged in a consensual relationship with Sinclair. Sinclair also faces charges of adultery, which is a crime under military law, and conduct unbecoming an officer. He has offered to plead guilty to those lesser charges and retire at a reduced rank if the military agreed to drop the sexual assault charges. The judge has previously rejected several motions from the defense to dismiss the sexual assault charges. SOURCE: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2014/03/10/Army-sexual-assault-case-paused-while-false-testimony-evidence-considered/7181394467990/ |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · DUKE LACROSSE - Liestoppers · Next Topic » |







7:36 PM Jul 10