| Blog and Media Roundup - Saturday, March 1, 2014; News Roundup | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Mar 1 2014, 05:27 AM (88 Views) | |
| abb | Mar 1 2014, 05:27 AM Post #1 |
|
http://www.wncn.com/story/24831553/report-huerta-ingested-potentially-lethal-amount-of-cough-medicine Report: Huerta ingested potentially lethal amount of cough medicine Posted: Feb 26, 2014 2:53 PM CST Updated: Feb 27, 2014 6:13 PM CST by WNCN Staff by Jonathan Carlson, WNCN News - bio | email DURHAM, N.C. - A Durham teen, who police say shot himself to death while in the backseat of a police cruiser, had a potentially fatal amount of cough medicine in his system at the time of his death. A toxicology report released Wednesday revealed that Jesus Huerta's liver contained 25 mg/kg of dextromethorphan and less than 2 mg/kg of chlorpheniramine when he died. A blood sample found 0.25 mg/L of chlorpheniramine and 1.5 mg/L of dextromethorphan. Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant while chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine. Recreational use of dextromethorphan, or DXM, can cause intoxicated sensations and sometimes hallucinations known as "plateaus." The so-called "first plateau" can occur when a user ingests between 1.5 to 2.5 mg/kg. Dr. Ruth Winecker, the chief toxicologist for Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, said Thursday that the amount of DXM in Huerta's system was considerably more than what a normal human should ingest. She called it a potentially lethal dose. "Hallucinations is the main side effect when you take it at high doses," Winecker said. "In order to achieve those effects, you have to take such a high dose that you are risking overdose and death." Police requested the medical examiner take a closer look at toxicology in January, two months after Huerta died Nov. 19, 2013, from a gunshot wound to the mouth while in the back seat of a police car. Winecker said it can take between four and six weeks for the state medical examiner to come back with a toxicology report. The Huerta family's attorney declined to talk specifically about the results, but told WNCN, arresting officers, familiar with Huerta, should have been aware he had a drug problem. His family says they had tried to get him help before his death. Police say Huerta was handcuffed in the backseat of the cruiser when he shot himself on Nov. 19, 2013. Durham Police said the arresting officer, Officer Samuel Duncan, patted down Huerta and checked the police cruiser when his shift began. Police arrested Huerta after officers were called to a home on Washington Street about a run-away. The warrants said a woman had called 911 and said a male wearing a black and red jacket, white T-shirt and jeans had run away from home, had taken drugs and was threatening to kill himself. Sometime later, officers found Huerta, who matched the description of the run-away, and arrested him on an outstanding second-degree trespassing warrant. Huerta had faced charges before including possession of a burglary tool, resisting a public officer and trespassing on Feb. 16. He was charged with second trespassing on Nov. 12, 2012 and then possession of marijuana with intent to sell in Oct. 2012. All of those charges were dismissed. The case has been an emotional one in Durham, with the Huerta family saying Durham Police failed to monitor Huerta properly while he was in the police car and that his death was unnecessary. Durham District Attorney Leon Stanback announced last month that his office had examined the State Bureau of Investigation report and would not file charged in the case. Stanback has since received an anonymous tip related to the shooting and has said his office "agreed to look into the material to the extent that it is reasonable and productive, and has a probability of relating to a crime." An internal police probe is still ongoing. |
![]() |
|
| abb | Mar 1 2014, 05:32 AM Post #2 |
|
UNC Prof. Says Vacate Titles In Wake Of Scandal Posted Friday, February 28th 2014 @ 12pm In light of the academic scandals at UNC Chapel Hill, one professor says the school needs to vacate any titles it earned while bogus classes were being offered. Many athletes reportedly took those courses. UNC History Professor Jay Smith told Bloomberg TV that voluntarily vacating the titles would be a way to prove the school's integrity. The UNC academic scandal is the cover story for the latest Bloomberg Businessweek publication. It details the assertions by a UNC Chapel Hill tutor that she observed numerous athletes in her decade on the job that read at grade-school level and one unnamed basketball player who could not read or write at all. The school has downplayed Mary Willingham's claims. After an investigation by former NC Governor Jim Martin, it was determined that UNC’s Department of African American Studies had been offering over 200 lecture courses that never even met. The department also reportedly sponsored hundreds of independent study classes and made nearly 600 unauthorized grade changes. Since the investigation, department chair Julius Nyang’oro has been charged with a felony for, in essence, defrauding the school and receiving payment for the classes that never met. Martin's review deemed the scandal an academic one not an athletic one as the majority of students affected were not athletes. Just this week the school said it expects to spend $990 an hour for attorney Kenneth Wainstein and three others in his firm to conduct a sweeping investigation of the scandal. A spokeswoman says that money will not be taxpayer money, but likely funds from the university's foundation. Read more: http://www.wwnc.com/articles/local-news-122546/unc-prof-says-vacate-titles-in-12112360#ixzz2uhpKNkvP |
![]() |
|
| abb | Mar 1 2014, 05:33 AM Post #3 |
|
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9449071 Should UNC surrender its championships? Friday, February 28, 2014 CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Should the University of North Carolina give up its championships because of an academic scandal involving its athletes? A UNC professor thinks so, and said it to the national media in an interview. The comment came as Bloomberg Businessweek published a cover story on UNC's troubles featuring a Tar Heel basketball jersey with an "F" in place of a number. The scathing article accuses North Carolina's flagship university of failing its athletes. The piece is mainly a rehash of the scandals that have rocked UNC since 2010, when allegations of improper benefits and academic fraud first surfaced. It profiles UNC advisor Mary Willingham and her data that's at the center of a dispute about the literacy skills of some athletes. UNC told ABC11 Friday it will not release that data because it's protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Willingham's controversial findings revealed 60 percent of 183 athletes tested couldn't read at the high school level and another 10 percent couldn't read above the third grade level. And now, a UNC professor is calling on the university to give up its championship titles. "I am not going to be a popular guy on campus today. What I would like to see, actually, is for UNC to voluntarily vacate the championships. That's what I would like to see. That would prove to everyone that UNC is an honorable institution. We don't want to hold on to ill-gotten games," Jay Smith, the head of the athletics reform group on campus, told Bloomberg Television. Last week, UNC announced it had hired an outside attorney to look into the problems, and try to put the issue behind it. Many student athletes told ABC11 Friday they're tired of the controversy. "We study our butts off and we're student athletes so we want to do well in the classroom too," said Caroline Price, a junior on tennis team. Price is not alone. "Where's the light on all the athletes who are on the dean's list? Where's the light on all the athletes who are on the all ACC academic teams like Marcus [Paige] who's an ACC all-American?" said Paige Neuenfeldt, a sophomore on volleyball team. |
![]() |
|
| abb | Mar 1 2014, 05:36 AM Post #4 |
|
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/02/28/marquee-mens-lacrosse-matchup-could-be-final-meeting-between-maryland-duke/ No. 1 Duke vs. No. 2 Maryland to be Men’s Lacrosse Matchup for the Ages February 28, 2014 3:02 PM WASHINGTON (CBSDC) - It will be a clash of the titans tomorrow when No. 1 Duke visits No. 2 Maryland for quite possibly the final time. No, it’s not men’s basketball since the Terps haven’t been ranked and the Blue Devils aren’t coming to College Park. And it’s not women’s hoops either since those highly-ranked squads met 11 days ago in Durham and won’t play again unless it’s in a postseason tournament. The showdown comes in men’s lacrosse, a sport in which Maryland and Duke have been facing off against each other since 1940, well before the birth of the ACC, the league which the Terps are leaving this summer. “The game’s a big deal,” said Maryland star senior goalie Niko Amato. “Seeing that coming to an end is kind of bittersweet. It’s weird that this could be the last time we play them.” The Terps’ 16-7 spanking of the eventual national champion Blue Devils last Mar. 2 in Durham and the fact that the teams are now ranked 1-2 makes it even bigger even if it’s just the fourth of Maryland’s 12 regular season contests. “It’s nice to be on top, but that’s not who we are,” said junior midfielder Joe LoCascio. “We’re a bunch of grinders.” Duke moved up to No. 1 this week thanks to Maryland’s stunning 16-8 rout of previously top-ranked Syracuse – which lost last year’s NCAA Championship game to the Blue Devils — on the road last Saturday. “It was just one of those days,” said Terps coach John Tillman, noting the dominance of faceoff specialist Charlie Raffa and some penalties on the Orange helped launch Maryland to an unexpected 12-5 halftime lead. “The momentum kept building and it just snowballed. They got frustrated, pressed a little harder and our strength got magnified. We could play Syracuse 100 times and that score wouldn’t happen again.” Tillman and his veteran leaders have been telling Maryland’s younger players not to take the smackdown of Syracuse too much to heart. “When everybody outside of our program is telling you how great you are, that can be difficult,” Tillman said as hip-hop music blared from the adjacent room where his players were lifting weights after Wednesday’s frosty late afternoon practice. “We’ve had to be tough on ‘em all week to remind them that game is over and that Duke is the defending national champions and they’re No. 1 and we’re not.” Last April 13, Tillman’s team was No. 1 before losing 7-4 to previously struggling Johns Hopkins at Byrd Stadium. Virginia whipped Maryland 13-6 in the ACC Tournament semifinals 13 days later. The Terps’ season then ended with a 16-8 loss to visiting Cornell in an NCAA first-round game. After reaching the Final Four during each of Tillman’s first two seasons, that ugly finish to 2013 still lingers. “It sticks with some of the guys,” Amato acknowledged. “Moving forward, we’ll know how to handle success better,” added senior long pole Mike Erhardt, one of Amato’s co-captains. Four of last season’s top five scorers graduated, leaving only senior midfielder Mike Chanenchuk, whose 11 points are one behind freshman attackman Matt Rambo’s team-high total. “We’ve got a very unselfish group on the offensive end, guys that are willing to share the ball and make the extra pass,” Tillman said. “We have a lot of interchangeable parts so we’re a little more unpredictable. You can’t take away one or two guys. Last year, if you shut down our knowns, that really hurt us. Defensively, we have enough experience to build around, but we’re still making too many mistakes. Niko has bailed us out a bunch, but that’s harder to do against better shooters so we’ve got to do a better job in front of him.” Tillman said that despite the conquest of Syracuse, he’s not sure whether his team, which starts as many freshmen (two) as seniors, will measure up to its predecessors. “There’s potential to have a really good year, but right now, we have so much to work on that I’m hesitant to say what we can and can’t do,” said Tillman, who noted that the 2011 and 2012 national runnersup were as inconsistent as last year’s squad but peaked at the right time. Playing Syracuse and Duke back-to-back means Maryland has to be clicking on all cylinders again tomorrow, but with No. 3 North Carolina, No. 4 Virginia, No. 7 Johns Hopkins and No. 11 Notre Dame still ahead, the Terps can’t afford to peak now. And this year, the Final Four is in Baltimore, their backyard. Maryland hasn’t won the title since 1975, but there’s a “why not us?” feeling these days in College Park. “The sky’s the limit for this team,” Amato said. “Winning the championship is a little bit about luck and it’s about playing your best lacrosse towards the end of the season.” |
![]() |
|
| abb | Mar 1 2014, 05:17 PM Post #5 |
|
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2014/03/01/Andrew-Breitbarts-Vision-and-Mission-Thriving-Two-Years-After-His-Death Andrew Breitbart’s Vision and Mission Thriving Two Years After His Death by Larry Solov, Stephen K. Bannon, Alex Marlow, & Jon Kahn 1 Mar 2014, 9:01 AM PDT 237 post a comment Two years ago today, we lost Andrew Breitbart. He was a father, husband, and a brother — a gregarious and hilarious personality. He was a new media pioneer. But perhaps he is best remembered as a fighter. He fought alongside us. He fought when we couldn't. Justice. Accountability. Freedom. An even playing field. Those were the fights of his life. On March 1st we think of him, but every day at Breitbart News we honor him. Every day we strive to keep the fighting spirit of this unique individual alive on the pages of the entity to which he gave all and which bears his name. And progress is being made. New media is growing and thriving, reaching more people in more countries all over the globe, breaking stories and fighting battles minute to minute, if not second to second. Meanwhile, the corrupt media establishment is struggling to modernize and maintain credibility with the public. Just as Andrew had envisioned. Andrew Breitbart was a giant among men, and we will not see his kind come our way again. But his passion, his resolve, his patriotism will not fade from living memory as that has been passed on to the men and women who labor everyday in his memory to bring you the news, information, and analysis that are the foundations of our freedoms and our country. The two years since his death seem like only yesterday--and a century ago. And so it is. To the memory of this great man we dedicate the work ongoing. |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
|
|
| « Previous Topic · DUKE LACROSSE - Liestoppers · Next Topic » |







7:36 PM Jul 10