| Blog and Media Roundup - Friday, August 23, 2013; News Roundup | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Aug 23 2013, 05:53 AM (435 Views) | |
| abb | Aug 23 2013, 05:53 AM Post #1 |
|
http://www.heraldsun.com/news/x2042201028/NCCU-fires-embattled-football-coach NCCU fires embattled football coach Aug. 22, 2013 @ 11:19 PM John McCann Days after his arrest on an allegation of violating a domestic violence protective order, Henry Frazier III is out as N.C. Central University’s head football coach. He was fired Thursday because school leaders viewed fallout from Frazier’s personal life as a distraction that blocks the best interests of the university’s student-athletes. The decision to fire Frazier was relatively swift, coming three days after he was arrested for violating an order in place to govern his relationship with his ex-wife, Lanier Turner-Frazier. On Tuesday, NCCU spokeswoman Ayana Hernandez had announced that Frazier had been suspended with full pay as a result of the charges, and that assistant head coach Dwayne Foster was in control of the team on an interim basis. Attorney Ralph Frasier Jr. insisted that the claim against Frazier was bogus, because his client never even showed up at Turner-Frazier’s Cary residence where the violation supposedly occurred on Monday. But athletics director Ingrid Wicker-McCree during a press conference on campus Thursday made the case that it was imperative for the university to cut ties with Frazier. “We just decided that it’s best to move in a different direction and move on,” Wicker-McCree said. “We’re not here to say whether he’s guilty or innocent. That’s for the legal system to decide. We just wish the best for Coach Frazier and his family; that they move past these issues.” Frazier has a Sept. 30 court date. Last May, Turner-Frazier told Morrisville police that Frazier assaulted her in their home. The two were married at the time but have since divorced. Frazier was suspended with pay after last year’s arrest, and Foster, again, assumed control of the team. The case eventually ended with Frazier pleading guilty to the assault charges before being reinstated to his coaching position less than two weeks before the start of practice for the 2012 season. Wicker-McCree at the time expressed full confidence in him. That trust apparently eroded some time between this past Monday and Thursday. NCCU may not be done dealing with Frazier. “We are exploring all options,” Frazier’s lawyer said. Frasier said his client on Monday sent a non-threatening note to Turner-Frazier, informing her that he’d paid $205 for a parking ticket that he wasn’t responsible for. Either Turner-Frazier or her biological daughter generated the ticket in Washington, D.C., and Frazier wrote that he took care of it and would deduct what he paid from the ex-wife’s alimony, Frasier said. The note was delivered to Turner-Frazier by their son, in keeping with how the two have communicated about financial matters since their separation, yet that got interpreted as a violation of the protective order, Frasier said. Wicker-McCree conceded that Frazier’s firing came with its own measure of undue attention. “We have to consider all the issues,” Wicker-McCree said. “We’ve considered all the issues and events that have occurred over the last 18 months. Anytime there’s a disruption of leadership in any kind of program, there’s going to be some fallout from that.” NCCU’s football players had the day off and weren’t available to address whether they’d been distracted by Frazier’s situation. “I can’t speak for them,” Wicker-McCree said about the student-athletes. “But I do know they are very supportive of their coaches and of Coach Frazier.” Foster said he hadn’t spoken with Frazier since the termination, but Wicker-McCree met with him earlier in the day to explain the deal. “Of course, he’s very disappointed,” Wicker-McCree said. “This is something that he loves to do. But there is an understanding of a contract, and we have to abide by those contract terms, as well as any leader on this campus who’s in position to be a role model for young men and women. We have to understand what our role is and what the standards and behavior are for our university.” Frazier was the head coach at Prairie View A&M when NCCU hired him in Dec. 2010 at an annual salary of $225,000. NCCU goes to Wallace Wade Stadium on Aug. 31 to play in the Bull City Gridiron Classic, the season opener for both teams. |
![]() |
|
| abb | Aug 23 2013, 05:55 AM Post #2 |
|
http://www.cotwa.info/2013/08/woman-lied-that-former-boyfriend-raped.html Friday, August 23, 2013 Woman lied that former boyfriend raped her, but prosecutor used wrong statute to charge her http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/charge-dismissed-in-false-rape-report/article_5b1d5451-b799-5765-8cb3-42924f4787f8.html A judge has dismissed a felony charge against a woman accused of falsely reporting that she was raped by a former boyfriend. Judge G. Todd Baugh has granted a defense motion to dismiss a charge of fabricating evidence filed against Christina Nadine Nelson. The judge said in an order issued Tuesday that evidence clearly showed Nelson lied when she reported the rape to police and hospital staff, but the prosecution’s reliance on a report from a sexual assault examination is misplaced. “To apply (the law against fabricating evidence) to the occurrences in this case is a stretch at best,” Baugh said in the order. “Basically, what (Nelson) did was lie to the Billings Clinic and the Billings Police Department. There are specific statutes that cover conduct of this nature; perjury, false swearing, unsworn falsification to authorities and false reports to law enforcement come to mind and there may be others.” Baugh gave prosecutors 30 days to amend the charge against Nelson. Nelson was charged in December for an incident last August when she reported that her former boyfriend raped her as she left her workplace. Nelson was brought to Billings Clinic later that evening after telling her husband about the alleged rape after the couple had unprotected sex. An investigation revealed Nelson’s former boyfriend was out of state at the time of the alleged rape. Billings police also said surveillance video from Nelson’s workplace showed her leaving work and driving away in her vehicle on the date of the alleged rape. A review of Nelson’s medical records showed she made four other similar reports in recent years. http://www.cotwa.info/2012/12/woman-charged-with-making-false-rape.html |
![]() |
|
| abb | Aug 23 2013, 05:58 AM Post #3 |
|
http://dukecheck.com/?p=15563 ✓ Allen Building and Duke athletics make big error Posted on August 22, 2013 by DukeCheck 1A BREAKING NEWS1 shameHud Mellencamp ’16, facing felony charges for the feral stompdown of a young man in his hometown that left the victim with several broken facial bones, will be allowed to return to Duke for the fall semester, and will represent the school by wearing blue and white as a football player. Head football Coach David Cutcliffe, addressing the situation with his walk-on cornerback, said Duke will allow the legal process to run before it decides whether to take any action against Mellencamp. The player’s father is the famous rock star. His younger brother Speck and a University of Indiana walk on wide receiver, Ty Smith, were also in on the attack. Smith has been suspended from the team; we do not know his status yet as a student. To put it mildly, this is disappointing. According to Duke’s Student Affairs website, “The university reserves the right to respond to any report of alleged misconduct on or off campus.” 1 cansNorth Carolina Central statement: “The personal issues that Coach Frazier is facing have caused the university to shift its focus from the priorities of student-athletes, the Athletics Department and the University. NCCU does not condone alleged conduct or behaviors that are counter to an institution’s culture of providing a nurturing environment that supports student learening and academic success.” The new Chancellor of North Carolina Central University fired head football coach Henry Frazier III this afternoon. This is just nine days before his team plays Duke in the season opener. An assistant was named interim head coach. The dismissal came two days after Frazier was suspended following his arrest for violating a domestic violence protective order obtained by his estranged wife. Prior to the 2012 football season, Frazier was arrested for assault on a female after cops responded to a domestic dispute. NCCU suspended Frazier for two months at that time until he resolved legal issues. |
![]() |
|
| abb | Aug 23 2013, 06:01 AM Post #4 |
|
NC Central football coach Frazier fired Published: August 22, 2013 Updated 12 hours ago By R. Cory Smith — csmith@newsobserver.com N.C. Central University has fired head football coach Henry Frazier III, who was arrested Monday and charged with violating a domestic violence protective order. “Henry Frazier III’s contract was terminated effective today,” NCCU athletics director Dr. Ingrid Wicker-McCree said Thursday. “The university wants to thank coach Frazier for nearly three years of service to NCCU.” Frazier was initially suspended with full pay, but since his contract was terminated, he will not be entitled to any additional severance or a buyout of the remaining $450,000 for the two years left on his contract, according to the school. The domestic violence protection order stated Frazier was not to have any contact with his ex-wife, including by phone, email and paper. Frazier’s lawyer has said the arrest was the result of a misunderstanding and that his client was trying to get a note to his ex-wife saying he would pay for a ticket on their car. This was the second arrest for Frazier. He was suspended in May 2012 for assault on a female, but was reinstated in July 2012. “We’ve considered all the issues and the events that have occurred over the last 18 months,” Wicker-McCree said. “Any time there’s a disruption in leadership of any program, there’s going to be fallout. … We are going to be here as coaches and staff to help (student-athletes) during this time.” Assistant head coach Dwayne Foster, who has been the acting head coach during Frazier’s suspension, will serve as the interim coach. “I have full confidence in Coach Foster and his abilities,” Wicker-McCree said Thursday. Foster joined NCCU in 2011 as assistant head coach, recruiting coordinator and offensive line coach. Previously, he served as running backs coach at Prairie View A&M University, offensive line coach at Bowie State University and tight ends and running backs coach at Catholic University. “I want to make things clear that this isn’t about me,” Foster said, “It’s about the program and the coaching staff. … We now have to move forward with our plan and we have several student-athletes that will be looking for us to stick to that plan.” Frazier turned around an NCCU program that was 2-9 and 10th in the MEAC in 2011, his first season. After finishing 6-5 and fourth in the conference last season, NCCU was picked to finish fourth in the 2013 MEAC preseason rankings. Foster will lead the Eagles in their opener against Duke on Aug. 31. The game will be broadcast on ESPN3. Smith: 919-829-8941; Twitter: @RCorySmith Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/22/3128360/nc-central-football-coach-frazier.html#storylink=cpy |
![]() |
|
| abb | Aug 23 2013, 10:58 AM Post #5 |
|
http://www.mindingthecampus.com/forum/2013/08/and_xavier_makes_three.html August 23, 2013 And Xavier Makes Three Posted by KC Johnson For the third time in as many months, a student whose college deemed him a rapist has filed suit in federal court, this time against Xavier University. But the case filed by former Xavier student Dez Wells differs in two important respects. First, Wells' accuser, Kristen Rogers, went to the authorities--who after thoroughly reviewing the evidence, declined to file charges. Second, Wells is a star basketball player (he transferred to the University of Maryland), which means that this case--unlike the comparable ones at St. Joe's and Vassar--is receiving attention from the media. (Though not, to date, from the New York Times: does Wells' story not fit the preferred narrative?) The procedures that Xavier used to brand Wells a rapist are, by this point, depressingly familiar. As with all students charged at Xavier, Wells had the right to an advisor, but not a lawyer. (Xavier's prohibition is unusually extreme--the chosen advisor "may not be an individual who has specialized legal training, including someone possessing a Juris Doctor degree, or other legal degree, even if such person is a member of the Xavier community and does not currently practice law.") In a revealing commentary on the nature of its disciplinary processes, Xavier denies a student charged with sexual assault the right to cross-examine his accuser--a right that students charged with lesser offenses retain. Wells was judged according to the preponderance-of-evidence threshold; in his lawsuit, he claimed that the tribunal actually placed the burden of proof on him. Even if it did not, it's easy to see how an undergraduate without legal training could believe he had to prove his innocence in a tribunal that only demands 50.01 percent to convict, with adjudicators drawn from a campus environment where most automatically presume sexual assault accusers never lie. In a mere twenty-seven days, Xavier not only completed its investigation, but conducted its judicial proceedings: the tribunal informed Wells that he had been found "responsible for rape." But this case had a twist: unlike most college disciplinary matters, a campus police officer had escorted Wells to the hospital, which conducted a rape exam, and the incident was reported to the police. And unlike Xavier, the authorities actually conducted a criminal investigation. The complaint alleges that Cincinnati prosecutor Joseph Deters communicated the authorities' concerns to Xavier officials, and urged Xavier to hold off investigating the matter until authorities had completed their own investigation. The complaint alleges that Xavier declined Deters' request lest the university "alienate" the Office for Civil Rights. The "Dear Colleague" letter struck again. The authorities eventually determined that there was no basis to pursue criminal charges, and Deters subsequently deemed the Xavier process "fundamentally unfair." He persuasively noted that "there is something flawed with a procedure where a young man and his accused appear before a group of people, which I would suggest probably isn't well trained in assessing these types of cases and they sit and tell their stories. No lawyers, no nothing." The police and prosecutor said that there was no sexual assault. Xavier, based on its Alice-in-Wonderland procedures and speed-of-light inquiry, determined that Wells is a rapist. Who should the public believe? |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
![]() Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today. Learn More · Register for Free |
|
| « Previous Topic · DUKE LACROSSE - Liestoppers · Next Topic » |







11:40 AM Jul 13