Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Blog and Media Roundup - Saturday, August 17, 2013; News Roundup
Topic Started: Aug 17 2013, 05:12 AM (193 Views)
abb
Member Avatar

http://dukecheck.com/?p=15371

Victim suffered facial fractures
Posted on August 16, 2013 by DukeCheck

Friday morning, Hud Mellencamp ’16 — the 19=year-old son of the famed rockstar John Mellencamp and an aspiring Duke football player – turned himself in to police waiting at the Monroe County Jail in Bloomington, Indiana.

He was arrested on violent felony charges involving serious injury.

At noon, after an appearance before a judge, he was being held on a $5,000 surety and $500 cash bond. His attorney — who accompanied Mellencamp to the site where his surrender had been arranged — said he expects him to be released shortly.

Mellencamp — a cornerback walk-on who never played a minute for Duke in his first season — was with his 18-year-old brother Speck and 19-year-old Ty Smith, a walk-on wide receiver at Indiana and son of the school’s baseball coach, when the trio allegedly pummeled and kicked a 19 year-old man. The victim suffered facial fractures, lacerations that required stitches and other serious injuries.

Mellencamp the houseThe assault took place July 29th on the front porch of the victim’s home (pictured on left). The police report written at the time said no one wanted to pursue charges.

The county prosecutor did, however.

According to the police report, the Mellencamps and Smith walked up to the house around 2:45 AM and without saying a word, started to beat one of the residents who was sitting on the porch. At one point, the victim was tossed off the porch and pursued, with the attackers continuing to punch him in the face.

Mellencamp boxerHud Mellencamp was a championship boxer in high school. He had never played football before his arrival at Duke and his decision to try to walk on to the team.

The attack ended when three of the victim’s roommates, who had been inside, came out to his aid. The attackers ran off.

One newspaper account of the fracas indicates that Speck Mellencamp had been partying at the house earlier in the evening, and that there had been words exchanged after two young women fought for his attention.

This incident involved pushing and shoving, with a man at the party shoving Speck. Speck is alleged to have said that he became so enraged that he went to get his brother and friend.

A local newspaper says that Hud maintains that while he was present, the victim was only attacked by his brother.

Duke head coach David Cutcliffe issued a surprising (surprising to DukeCheck, that is) statement on Thursday when he learned there was a warrant out for the arrest of one of his players on serious charges.

Cutcliffe allowed Mellencamp to decide for himself to leave practice for the coming season, and did not suspend him from the team despite the seriousness of the charges.

Cutcliffe: “We are aware of the charges that Hud Mellencamp faces in Indiana. Currently, we are giving him the opportunity to return to Indiana to address his legal issues,. We will refrain from any further comment until more information becomes available.”

There has been no statement from the University regarding Mellencamp’s status as a student.

Smith turned himself in on Thursday night and is out on bail. Speck surrendered an hour before his brother and is expected out on bail shortly.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DUKE LACROSSE - Liestoppers · Next Topic »
Add Reply