|
Blog and Media Roundup - Saturday, August 3, 2013; News Roundup
|
|
Topic Started: Aug 3 2013, 05:36 AM (248 Views)
|
|
abb
|
Aug 3 2013, 05:36 AM
Post #1
|
|
- Posts:
- 39,845
- Group:
- Tier1
- Member
- #4
- Joined:
- Apr 28, 2008
|
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/colleges/basketball/article_67494462-fbeb-11e2-9bb7-001a4bcf6878.html
Hairston's court date changed to next month
The Associated Press | Posted: Friday, August 2, 2013 11:18 pm
A scheduled court appearance for P.J. Hairston, the suspended North Carolina guard, on a speeding charge has been continued until next month.
Hairston was due Friday in a Durham County courtroom. Magistrate Steven R. Storch said that the appearance was rescheduled for Sept. 13.
Hairston was cited for speeding May 13 in a vehicle rented under the name of a woman who shares the home address of Haydn Patrick "Fats" Thomas , a convicted felon who is facing additional felony drug and gun charges.
Hairston also was arrested June 5 and charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession and driving without a license at a checkpoint in Durham. Thomas' name appears on the rental records for the car Hairston was driving at the time. Those charges were dropped last month.
Hairston was suspended indefinitely from the team earlier this week after he was cited again for speeding, this time near Salisbury.
|
|
|
| |
|
abb
|
Aug 3 2013, 05:38 AM
Post #2
|
|
- Posts:
- 39,845
- Group:
- Tier1
- Member
- #4
- Joined:
- Apr 28, 2008
|
http://www.cotwa.info/2013/08/former-cop-sues-woman-over-alleged.html
Thursday, August 1, 2013 Former cop sues woman over alleged false rape accusation A former Chicago Police sergeant whose rape conviction was overturned in 2011 has filed a lawsuit against the woman who accused him.
John Herman filed the suit in Cook County Circuit Court Friday, claiming that the woman falsely accused him to get money from the city.
The woman had sued the city in federal court and received a $1.5 million dollar legal settlement, the Sun-Times reported at the time of the 2011 Illinois Appellate Court decision that overturned Herman’s conviction.
According to the suit, Herman had consensual sex with the woman in her apartment on March 9, 2004.
She later accused Herman of kidnapping her, driving to her apartment and forcing her to have sex with him at gunpoint, the Sun-Times reported.
Herman is claiming that the woman’s accusations and the resulting prosecution caused him to lose his job, damaged his reputation and caused him to serve four years in prison.
Herman was convicted of rape and sentenced to 25 years in prison, but the Illinois Appellate Court overturned the conviction on October 2, 2011, according to the suit.
The three-count suit charges the woman with malicious prosecution, abuse of process and defamation and asks for more than $100,000 in damages.http://www.wlsam.com/common/page.php?pt=Former+cop+sues+woman+over+alleged+false+rape+accusation&id=54933&is_corp=0
|
|
|
| |
|
abb
|
Aug 3 2013, 05:40 AM
Post #3
|
|
- Posts:
- 39,845
- Group:
- Tier1
- Member
- #4
- Joined:
- Apr 28, 2008
|
http://dukecheck.com/?p=15089
✓ At traffic stop Posted on August 3, 2013
A unusually high bail has been set for one of the suspects in the armed robberies that have plagued Duke Gardens. At this writing, we do not have details on this.
Thompson, TimishaThompson, DenshawnThe suspect, 20 year old Tamisha Thompson, left, was the passenger in a car that was stopped for a routine check on North Roxboro Road near Old Oxford Highway. She is charged with four counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon and other crimes.
The other suspect, Denshawn Thompson, on the right, also 20, remains at large. We still do not know if the Thompsons are related.
|
|
|
| |
|
Quasimodo
|
Aug 3 2013, 08:29 AM
Post #4
|
|
- Posts:
- 38,135
- Group:
- Tier1
- Member
- #17
- Joined:
- Apr 28, 2008
|
New York Times takes a bath...:
- Quote:
-
BOSTON -- The New York Times Co. says it has agreed to sell The Boston Globe to the principal owner of the Boston Red Sox for $70 million, a massive drop from the record $1.1 billion it paid for it.
Times spokeswoman Eileen Murphy confirms the sale of the Globe and other media properties to businessman John Henry.
The Times bought the Globe in 1993. Newspapers have faced difficulties in recent years as advertisers have moved more ads online.
The Times announced in February it was putting the Globe up for sale. The company's CEO said at the time selling the Globe would help the company focus attention on The New York Times brand.
Henry says the Globe's "award-winning journalism" and "its rich history and tradition of excellence" have established it as one of the most well-respected media companies in the country.
|
|
|
| |
|
cks
|
Aug 3 2013, 08:33 AM
Post #5
|
|
- Posts:
- 12,677
- Group:
- Tier1
- Member
- #445
- Joined:
- Mar 1, 2009
|
The NYT will attempt to make it up by hiking its subscription rates. I look for them to charge a separate fee to read or download anything from their electronic edition - right now as long as you subscribe to one of their print editions (we get the Sunday NYT in print - an old family habit) one gets the electronic free.
|
|
|
| |
|
Quasimodo
|
Aug 3 2013, 08:50 AM
Post #6
|
|
- Posts:
- 38,135
- Group:
- Tier1
- Member
- #17
- Joined:
- Apr 28, 2008
|
What they did was bad enough
(but don't expect an open letter from the faculty... )
- Quote:
-
http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2013/07/26/dukeengage-haiti-cancelled-due-unprofessional-behavior
DukeEngage Haiti cancelled due to unprofessional behavior
By Sophia Durand | July 25, 2013
DukeEngage Haiti ended earlier this summer due to logistical complications.
The program’s eight students, who left the United States for Haiti on May 28, were informed that their program had been terminated one month early after the in-country coordinator was fired for unprofessional behavior. The University did not publicly announce the cancellation.
“The staff plan in place turned out to not be adequate,” said DukeEngage executive director Eric Mlyn.
For five years, DukeEngage has sent students to work with Family Health Ministries, a Haiti based organization that aims to help Haitian communities sustain healthy families. The in-country coordinator, who has not been named, was an employee of FHM, and the only supervisor present on site. He lived in the same quarters as the students.
Students reported that the coordinator was acting in an unprofessional manner throughout the program. He was described as unreliable and unfit for the job by students.
“It was a bit of an adjustment to figure out how to work with someone who was acting unprofessionally,” said junior Caroline Meade who took part in the program.
After parents began to voice their concerns and apply pressure to the University, the in-country coordinator was fired from FHM, and students found themselves in limbo, without supervision or an organization to work with while in Haiti.
DukeEngage was unable to find a replacement coordinator, given the short window of time. FHM’s executive director, Kathy Walmer—an adjunct professor at the Duke Global Health institute and Duke coordinator for the DukeEngage Haiti Program—could not travel with the students to Haiti and declined to comment at this time.
Mlyn said that the students were disappointed with the decision, but that the cancellation was necessary. The University could not leave the students without supervision or a planned program in Haiti, and thus terminated the program.
Meade noted that DukeEngage was not fully responsible for providing the in-country coordinator.
“Sending us home was a worst-case scenario,” program participant junior Nicole Savage said. “It was unfortunate because we couldn’t complete our DukeEngage experience.”
Meade, along with a number of other participants, gave up other opportunities to participate in the DukeEngage program in Haiti, Meade said.
“I personally don’t think this was well-handled by DukeEngage,” Savage, a photographer for The Chronicle, said. “I did not feel unsafe at any time, but looking back, the circumstances were bad and something had to happen.”
Although many students voiced their disappointment, Mlyn explained that the University offered alternative opportunities to the participants to make up for the cancellation of the trip. The students were given the option of participating in a service trip to Peru this summer, as well as priority for independent DukeEngage programs next summer.
Savage said she enjoyed the four weeks she spent in Haiti with her fellow students, and had hoped for a different outcome, despite the setback with the supervisor.
“If they had given us the chance to stay, I think most of us would have stayed,” she said.
The Haiti program is not the only DukeEngage activity canceled this summer. Students participating in DukeEngage Cairo were sent home July 6 due to safety concerns after Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi was unseated. Though the Cairo program’s cancellation was announced by the University via press release, no such action was taken with the termination of the Haiti program. Both programs have been removed from the DukeEngage website
- Quote:
-
http://dukecheck.com/
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED AT DUKE ENGAGE HAITI
The Chronicle did a good job in bringing to light the problems at Duke Engage in Haiti, problems serious enough to cause the University to close down its outpost and bring the students back to Durham. So what really happened?
The lead paragraph says the Haiti program was closed due to “logistical complications.” Whatever that means. (Someone should call UPS, maybe?)
In the second paragraph, we’re told the program was shut because of “unprofessional behavior” by its Duke-paid coordinator.
Third paragraph: “The staff plan in place turned out to not be adequate,” said DukeEngage executive director Eric Mlyn.
Unreliable. Unfit. The Chronicle used those words — but not in quotes — to describe what students in the program felt about their leader. And this direct quote from a student: “I did not feel unsafe at any time, but looking back, the circumstances were bad and something had to happen.”
Come on, Chronicle, the words sexual misconduct are OK!!! The word lurid can be used when you don’t want to fill in the details.
[If that's what it was--(and that's an "IF", since we don't know)--then the prudishness of the Admin. and the Chronicle in refusing to specify the nature of the misconduct is in stark contrast to how the false allegations against Duke students were handled in 2006.
And if the allegations are true, then were is the open letter from the faculty, the response from women's organizations, the statement from Brodhead about sexual misconduct being unacceptable, etc.? In fact, why shouldn't Brodhead speak now, even before all the facts are known? (Has he ever been reticent on that subject before?) (sarc/off)]
Cheers to the paper for noting that the Brodhead Administration did not announce this publicly, as it did the shutdown of Duke Engage Cairo because of civil unrest in Egypt.
|
|
|
| |
|
cks
|
Aug 3 2013, 09:00 AM
Post #7
|
|
- Posts:
- 12,677
- Group:
- Tier1
- Member
- #445
- Joined:
- Mar 1, 2009
|
Were the students refunded any of the monies that they or their parents expended for the Haiti or Egyptian experience?
My guess is, NO.
|
|
|
| |
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
|