Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Blog and Media Roundup - Sunday, July 28, 2013; News Roundup
Topic Started: Jul 28 2013, 04:51 AM (149 Views)
abb
Member Avatar

Durham police probe fatal officer-involved shooting

Published: July 27, 2013 Updated 18 hours ago
From Staff Reports

DURHAM — A fatal officer-involved shooting Saturday morning on Park Avenue in Durham is under investigation, police reported.

Officers were dispatched to a stabbing call in the 700 block of Park Avenue at 8:41 a.m., according to a police press release. They found a male who had been cut on the face and was bleeding heavily.

Officers approached a male with a knife in the 800 block of Park Avenue. When officers confronted him, he refused to drop the knife and was shot, police said.

The male was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

The stabbing victim was taken to the hospital for treatment, police said.

The shooting is being investigated by the State Bureau of Investigation and the Durham Police Department's Professional Standards Division and Criminal Investigations Division, which is standard procedure in any officer-involved shooting.

Police did not provide further details of the incident.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/27/3062201/durham-police-probe-fatal-officer.html#storylink=cpy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
abb
Member Avatar

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208842360&DB_OEM_ID=4200


Six Blue Devils Selected for US Lacrosse Tryout
Saturday 07/27/2013 - Duke Sports Information

DURHAM, N.C.—Six current and or former Duke University men’s lacrosse players are among the 98 players selected to try out for the U.S. Men’s National Team US Lacrosse announced Saturday, July 27. The U.S. team will defend its world title at the Federation of International Lacrosse (FIL) World Championships July 10-19, 2014 in Denver, Colo.

Among the six Blue Devils chosen was a pair of current players in attackman Jordan Wolf and faceoff midfielder and the ACC Defensive Player of the Year Brendan Fowler. Wolf and Fowler are two of the eight active collegiate players picked to vie for a spot on the 2014 roster. The other four Blue Devils are attackmen Ned Crotty and Matt Danowski, midfielder David Lawson and defenseman Michael Manley.

Crotty was a member of the 2010 U.S. squad that captured the FIL World Championship, while Danowski has been a mainstay on the squad throughout his career. Danowski captured a U-19 FIL World title for the U.S. and is a current assistant coach for the Blue Devils. He plays for the Charlotte Hounds of Major League Lacrosse. Crotty, Lawson and Manley all suit up for the Rochester Rattlers in the MLL>

Tryouts will be held Aug. 30-Sept. 1 at Goucher College in Baltimore, Md.

A total of 156 players submitted tryout applications, which were considered by a selection committee including current and past U.S. men’s national team coaches and players, as well as current college and professional coaches. U.S. team head coach Richie Meade (Furman University) will oversee the tryout process. Following tryouts, US Lacrosse will announce the 40-player U.S. men’s national team.

Ten players return to try out from the 2010 U.S. men’s national team that won gold with a 12-10 victory over Canada in Manchester, England. Notable returners include 2010 World Championships MVP Paul Rabil, All-World performers Brendan Mundorf and Max Seibald, three-time U.S. team members Ryan Boyle and Matt Striebel, and Ned Crotty, who scored the game-tying and game-winning goals to clinch the world title for the U.S. in Manchester.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Kerri P.
Member Avatar

http://www.wral.com
Breaking News: Days after Durham County prosecutors dismissed charges stemming from a traffic stop, North Carolina's P.J. Hairston was charged Sunday afternoon with speeding and careless and reckless driving, the North Carolina State Highway Patrol said.

eta: story still developing, check back for more.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Quasimodo

Kerri P.
Jul 28 2013, 09:56 PM
http://www.wral.com
Breaking News: Days after Durham County prosecutors dismissed charges stemming from a traffic stop, North Carolina's P.J. Hairston was charged Sunday afternoon with speeding and careless and reckless driving, the North Carolina State Highway Patrol said.

eta: story still developing, check back for more.


P. J. clocked at going 93 mph in a 65 mph (freeway) zone.

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DUKE LACROSSE - Liestoppers · Next Topic »
Add Reply