Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Blog and Media Roundup - Thursday, March 29, 2012; News Roundup
Topic Started: Mar 29 2012, 04:14 AM (362 Views)
abb
Member Avatar

http://www.herald-sun.com/view/full_story/18034733/article-Report-finds-Duke-at-fault-in-Potti-case--?

Report finds Duke at fault in Potti case
03.28.12 - 05:10 pm
By Neil Offen

[email protected]; 419-6646

DURHAM — A report by the national Institute of Medicine prompted by a Duke University scientist’s now-discredited research says Duke failed to “ensure the integrity and rigor of the scientific process.”

The report, released last week, adds that “failure by many parties [at Duke] to detect or act on problems with key data and computational methods … led to the inappropriate enrollment of patients in clinical trials, premature launch of companies and retraction of dozens of research papers.”

Duke Medicine’s leadership, in an official response to the report by the health arm of the National Academy of Sciences, said, “We have learned from our situation, and with the dedicated efforts of our faculty and administration we have begun to implement solutions ….”

The report called for scientific investigators to make the data, computer codes and computational procedures used to develop their clinical tests “publicly accessible for independent review” and to ensure that their data and research steps are presented comprehensibly.

Chancellor for Health Affairs Victor Dzau, Nancy Andrews, the dean of the School of Medicine, and Rob Califf, vice chancellor for clinical translational research, wrote in response that the report’s recommendations provide a “clear path forward.

“We welcome the opportunity to incorporate the recommendations from the report with our ongoing efforts to strengthen the rigor of our research enterprise,” the administrators said.

Even before the report was published, health system administrators already had said that they were taking a number of steps to prevent medical fraud in the future and to safeguard researchers' scientific data.

While the initial impetus for the report was the case of now-disgraced researcher Anil Potti, the 19-member IOM committee looking into the matter focused more broadly on research issues in molecular bioscience.

The report found that so-called "omics" tests — such as genomics and proteomics, which are diagnostic tools based on molecular patterns — are in general highly prone to errors. Journals, funders and institutions should take steps to avoid the failure of oversight that allowed problems to go unchecked at Duke, the committee wrote.

Potti resigned from Duke in the fall of 2010 after questions arose that he had falsely claimed to be a Rhodes Scholar and then about the scientific integrity of his research, which focused on using genetic signatures to guide cancer treatments.

A Duke investigation subsequently found that Potti had indeed embellished his credentials and that the scientific work was faulty. Duke also asked for an outside investigation of the issues raised by the discovery of Potti’s suspect research.

After leaving Duke, Potti had been working as an oncologist in South Carolina, but left that position earlier this year after a critical report on his research at Duke by the television program 60 Minutes.

So far, the fallout from the Potti case includes 27 papers that Duke expects to be partially or completely retracted, three cancelled clinical trials, a lawsuit against Duke by patients in the trials and three out-of-court settlements by Potti with former patients.

IOM committee chair Gilbert Omenn, a computational biologist at the University of Michigan, said the problems could have been avoided.

They “could have been prevented had a clearly defined process been available and utilized,” Omenn said. But he noted, as well, that those kind of problems were not unique to Duke.

"There are a lot of lessons here that surely apply to other places," Omenn said.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

abb
Member Avatar

http://www.herald-sun.com/view/full_story/18037372/article-Former-DSS-director-sues-county--Bowser-over-firing?

Former DSS director sues county, Bowser over firing
03.28.12 - 09:32 pm
By Ray Gronberg and Melody Guyton Butts

[email protected]; 919-419-6630

DURHAM – Former Social Services Director Gerri Robinson has sued County Commissioner Joe Bowser and the county government over her firing, alleging that Bowser’s involvement in it was “malicious, corrupt and outside the scope of his authority.”

The lawsuit, filed in late February, claims Bowser interfered with Robinson’s employment contract and slandered her while persuading Department of Social Services board members to fire her last summer.

Robinson and her attorneys also claim county officials violated her civil rights, and violated a state whistleblower-protection law after Robinson complained to them about Bowser’s conduct about a month before her ouster late last July.

The core of the lawsuit alleges that Bowser “routinely interjected himself into the day-to-day operations of DSS,” weighing in on matters of employee discipline, client casework and staff hiring.

Throughout, Bowser as a member of the DSS board “implied to Robinson that her job would be at risk if she would not act on his requests or direction regarding staff and case work matters,” even though Robinson as director was responsible to the full board, the suit says.

Bowser, DSS board Chairman Stan Holt and DSS board member Newman Aguiar all declined comment on Wednesday.

County officials have until April 25 to answer the lawsuit.

Robinson is working with Raleigh attorneys Jack Nichols and Catherine Lee.

The complaint they filed on Robinson’s behalf alleges among other things that Bowser tried to intervene in a child-custody matter involving murder suspect and Duke lacrosse accuser Crystal Mangum.

Mangum is in jail awaiting trial on the murder charge. The biological father of two of her children took custody of them last summer, on orders from a judge in place of what the lawsuit termed “an informal custody arrangement” Mangum had set up on her own.

Bowser “encouraged Robinson to intervene inappropriately” in the matter and himself tried “to intervene in child-support matters involving the father,” the lawsuit said.

Bowser acknowledged in an interview with The Herald-Sun late last July that he had deemed Robinson’s handling of the Mangum case unsatisfactory and that it had been a factor in the decision to fire her.

A former Robinson subordinate, John Holtkamp, in early March said the former director wasn’t one to allow lobbying to influence her decisions.

“One of the things that I’ve been proudest of in my career, and that we held fast to here, was that we made decisions in cases and we made decisions in terms of personnel in regard to the merits of the case and the merits of the personnel brought to us,” said Holtkamp, who left DSS to head up a similar agency in Union County. “People sometimes bring in outside folks to lobby for them, one way or another. Ms. Robinson did not go along with that.”

Holtkamp demurred when asked for examples of people outside DSS attempting to intervene but said some of those cases had been “brought up in the media.”

“I’m not saying whether those were right or wrong, but that did occur,” he said.

Robinson’s suit also alleged that Bowser unsuccessfully pressured her in the fall of 2010 to give former Durham City Manager Marcia Conner a job in DSS, “without requiring her to formally apply” through the proper channels.

Conner resigned as city manager in the summer of 2004, in lieu of being fired after having lost the confidence of the City Council.

At the time of Bowser’s alleged intervention, Conner was under criminal indictment in South Carolina on charges of misconduct in office and violating an employer’s obligations.

The 2008 charges against Conner stemmed from her tenure as town manager of Atlantic Beach, S.C., a small coastal town that has only a few hundred residents. She was accused of improperly shuffling money between the town’s various operating accounts.

South Carolina prosecutors wound up dropping the charges, in August and September of 2011, after Robinson’s firing.

“I don’t think it was the greatest case in the world,” Horry County Deputy Solicitor Jimmy Richardson said, attributing Conner’s troubles to what he termed Atlantic Beach’s customarily “horrific bookkeeping” practices.

“Someone can pull down a statute and figure out it was all wrong, but if they follow what people before them had done, there’s no telling how long it’s been done wrong,” Richardson added.

South Carolina, Durham and N.C. State Board of Elections voting records all suggest Conner was maintaining a home here late last decade. Bowser is known to think well of her.

City Councilman Eugene Brown said he’s heard Bowser credit Conner with being the one who “really got the [Durham Performing Arts Center] going,” a notion Brown and other city officials dispute.

The lawsuit says Bowser intervened to prevent the firing of one DSS employee by Robinson. It claims he distributed false information about Robinson to county officials, The Herald-Sun and other media outlets.

The false information, the suit alleges, included letters from former DSS public-relations head Sharon Hirsch and agency finance boss Toni Pedroza, who each criticized Robinson as they left the agency. Pedorza has since returned to her old job.

Robinson and her lawyers also say Holt and Aguiar have also made “damaging and disparaging statements” about the former director. They apparently are referring to comments the men have made defending the decision to fire her.

Aguiar and Hirsch are both active in a group called Durham Congregations, Associations and Neighborhoods – Durham CAN, for short.

abb
Member Avatar

http://www.herald-sun.com/view/full_story/18033660/article-Letters--March-29--2012?

Show voters the evidence in Cline case

I accidentally learned (because I happened to be watching television at the right time on the right news station) that they said Tracey Cline “is under the microscope again” under some state board of review.

We elected her for office, as we did the judges, and we pay the taxes for their salaries. I’m not saying she’s right or wrong, but since it is our vote and our money paying the salaries, we have a right to know.

Do our votes for DA even mean anything if judges can just decide to remove her, without the state keeping us informed? Are our taxes worthwhile, if the judges we elect use their authority to remove other officials we elect at their discretion? Once again, we don’t know all the facts of the case, but we feel that as taxpayers we are the employers of the judges and the DA both, and should be allowed to know all the facts of the case.

There are a lot of people who feel that justice may not have been served here. It is through knowledge that democracy works, and usually it is through the media that the public has that kind of knowledge. She may have deserved removal, but we certainly don’t know from the facts that have been presented.

Kyle Simpson

Durham

Read more: The Herald-Sun - Letters March 29 2012

abb
Member Avatar

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/29/1966940/durham-police-probe-homicide.html

Published Thu, Mar 29, 2012 04:45 AM
Modified Thu, Mar 29, 2012 04:48 AM
Durham police probe homicide
FROM STAFF REPORTS
Published in: Durham County
Related Stories
Related Images

DURHAM Durham police are investigating an incident Wednesday evening that left one person dead and sent two victims to the hospital.

Police said the homicide happened outside No. 4 Welch Place at approximately 7:13 p.m.

Two gunshot victims were transported to Duke Hospital with non-life threatening wounds.

The case is under investigation and no further details are available.

Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact Investigator A. Cristaldi at (919)-560-4440 Ext 29322.

abb
Member Avatar

http://billfulham-isitjustme.blogspot.com/2012/03/or-does-ghost-of-mike-nifong-still.html

Tuesday, March 27, 2012
...or does the ghost of Mike Nifong still haunt the precincts of our collective conscience?
What? You don't remember Mike Nifong? Too long ago?
OK, how about Dharum Ravi? Hell, his case went to the jury only last week.
Give up?
Mike Nifong was the Durham County, SC prosecutor who charged a group of Duke lacrosse players with forcible rape (is there another kind?) without bothering to determine if the alleged victims were telling the truth. The result was a national rush to judgement that, while not ruining three lives, at least put a turd in the graduation punchbowl. We were all ready to believe that a bunch of spoiled rich kids hired a couple of black dancers for a party and raped them. Were it not for DNA testing and an ATM camera, those kids might be making new friends at the Allendale Correctional Institution. Score one for law enforcement.
Dharum Ravi is the Rutgers student who has been found guilty of anti-gay intimidation (a hate crime in New Jersey) for watching on the web as his gay roommate got it on with another man. Ravi's roommate, Tyler Clementi, committed suicide by jumping from the George Washington Bridge. Ravi has been accused of "outing" his roommate, which he didn't, and broadcasting a sex video on the internet which he also did not. Ravi's case is the classic coincidence vs causation. To assume that Clementi's suicide was a direct result of Ravi's actions is a bigger leap than the one that killed Clementi. Paging Jack McCoy?
All of this is by way of reminding my fellow travelers of the danger of mailing in your guilty verdict before all the facts are in. Attend the tale of Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman. In case you have been travelling with Rick Santorum and therefore never hear anything about the real world, Trayvon Martin was shot and killed by Mr. Zimmerman on Feb 26 in the little town of Sanford FL. The only facts in evidence are that Martin was unarmed and he was on the phone with his girlfriend when the incident occurred. After that it starts to get cloudy. Zimmerman claims that he was attacked and that he was defending himself. Maybe.
The situation is complicated by a nifty little law that was passed in Florida and 22 other states. As the result of an unholy alliance between the Republicans and the NRA, Florida has a law nicknamed Stand Your Ground. The short version is that if you perceive yourself in fear of death or "great bodily harm" you have Florida's permission to blast away. The threat need not be real or provable just as long as you "perceive" it to be so. These laws stem from a decision by the Supreme Court in 1895 (Beard v U.S.) that spoke to a person's right to use deadly force "in his home" when a threat was imminent. Florida, and other states, have expanded the concept to include any place that a person has a lawful right to be. If I'm in a park and you assault me with a knife I have no obligation to flee. I am well within my rights to perforate you with as many 9mm holes as my little Glock will fire. (That'll teach you to bring a knife to a gun fight.)These Castle Laws have only been codified recently in states with newly minted Republican majorities.
Considering that Castle laws have been part of the common law environment for a hundred years, one can only wonder why the sudden urge to write legislation to expand the protection. Perhaps the NRA was mindful of all the new guns purchased in the U.S. since a black man won the White House and they wanted to give people someone to shoot. In any event, because this law is on the books in Florida and only George Zimmerman is around to tell his story, no arrest was made.
That was before the media got involved...and Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson, and the President of the United States...and Fox News. The lack of actual information as to what happened has not stopped the news cyclists from covering this tragedy non-stop. George Zimmerman's life has been dissected like a frog in second period biology. Whether he was justified in shooting Trayvon Martin or not, his life will be decidedly different from here on. Trayvon's parents have given innumerable interviews and made several impassioned speeches. Everyone with a microphone and an audience is screaming for justice; justice being mostly defined as an indictment of Mr. Zimmerman. However this is resolved, no one will like the outcome.
Sanford, Fl is microcosmic of the country at large: 45% non Hispanic white, 30% black. Prior to the Trayvon Martin shooting Sanford was mostly remembered (if remembered is the proper term) as the town that ran Jackie Robinson out when he tried to take the field during a 1946 spring training game. The Dodgers were forced to move to Daytona Beach. People have been taking to the streets in Sanford and about everywhere else demanding an investigation. The Feds are now involved as is the State of Florida, the county of Seminole and about everyone else short of the Warren Commission. Justice will be done...well done...burned to a cinder.
Sadly, the trigger-happy asshats of the Florida legislature will, as always, escape unharmed and unrepentant. The people who put the gun in George Zimmerman's hand and gave him permission to use it will never have to answer for their actions. The NRA will remind people that, while tragedies happen, the sale, ownership and use of a gun is a wonderful and God-given right. After all, "Stand your Ground" isn't just the law, it's the American Way. With the saddest of hearts I'm sorry to say they are probably right.

abb
Member Avatar

http://lettersfromawhoremongerswife.com/2012/03/28/eve-was-unarmed-she-wasnt-wearing-a-hoodie-she-was-murdered-are-you-angry/

Eve Was Unarmed. She Wasn’t Wearing a Hoodie. She Was Murdered. Are You Angry?

March 28, 2012 – 3:49 pm
Posted in Uncategorized

I don’t have to tell you I’m not a racist; my life speaks for me. Yet, I will probably be called a racist because of this post.

I don’t like what happened to Trayvon Martin and I don’t claim to understand the frame of mind George Zimmerman was in when he fired his weapon. I don’t know the whole story behind the story. None of us do, yet. But this I know: a kid is dead and his killer is being publicly executed. The state of Florida is investigating the killing more slowly than some think is necessary and the Panthers have a bounty on Zimmermans’ head. People are angry with Florida. But more than being angry with Florida, people are Outraged at what they believe to be death by Racial Profiling. Perhaps profiling was a factor in the killing of Trayvon, unfortunately profiling happens everyday. But it isn’t a problem patented by one race. It’s a problem in every race.

When are we going to admit profiling, violence and racism exists everywhere…in all cultures, in and against every socioeconomic status? Violence is wrong, regardless of the reason behind it. Murder is inhumane, regardless of the color of the victim. But I ask, why aren’t we equally outraged when a white kid is killed by another race? Last week a boy in Ohio was burned by a group of black kids while walking home from school….media outrage? No. Did Al and Jesse show up and puff up in front of cameras? No. They’re calling Zimmerman a White-Hispanic…a term unheard of before now…a term being used to create more racial conflict.

In 2008 Eve Carson, a white female from Athens, Georgia was an exceptional student at the University of North Carolina. She served as President of the Student Body and was a Moorehead-Cain Scholarship recipient. She majored in Political Science and Biology, Pre-Med. Eve gave back to her community, she was a peer educator for underprivileged youth, was selected to be a North Carolina Fellow and she was murdered. Slaughtered by four blasts of ammunition to the head and body by two young black males (ages 17 and 21), because they wanted her car and her ATM card. The final killing shot tore through her hand and into her head as she made a sad attempt to protect herself; obviously aware the bullet to her skull would be fatal. Was she profiled? You bet she was. Eve was profiled as a Rich, Blue -Eyed, Blond Haired, White Girl. Were there protests, marches and outraged politicians speaking out for her? Did Barack call her family? Why is it about race only if the victim is black? Why aren’t we outraged when ANY kid is murdered? As a nation, have we been silenced by a politically correct whip? Lets’ be outraged about all murders, all racism, every injustice.

In the meantime, allow me to speak my mind without calling me a racist. You have the freedom to call me names but if I defend myself, you call me a racist. That’s not right. Let’s stop creating more problems for each other. Let’s grow up.

One last thing about Eve…one of her assailants testified that she asked them to pray with her before they killed her. “Let’s pray”, she said. One of the ATM videos shows Eve in the backseat of her vehicle with her murderers, she has her hands in the air, a Be True bracelet is on her wrist. Her head is bowed in prayer.

abb
Member Avatar

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/mar/29/letter-judge-planned-public-release-of-tbi-file/

Letter: Judge planned public release of TBI file on Baumgartner

By Jamie Satterfield

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Special Judge Jon Kerry Blackwood planned to make public — with some "limitations" — the entire investigative file on a disgraced colleague, according to correspondence obtained by the News Sentinel.

Blackwood stated that intent in a letter he penned to Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Director Mark Gwyn on March 7. Two days later, however, Blackwood announced he would not — and legally could not — make public the entire TBI investigative file on former Knox County Criminal Court Judge Richard Baumgartner.

TBI provided letters between Gwyn and Blackwood in response to a public records request by the News Sentinel.

The newspaper also sought from Blackwood, Knox County District Attorney General Randy Nichols, and the Administrative Office of the Courts any correspondence, both in written and electronic form, to or from Blackwood in reference to Baumgartner, the TBI file and the cases his confession to a prescription painkiller addiction are now impacting.

So far, Nichols' office is refusing to comply, arguing any such correspondence is part of its work product in those ongoing cases, which include the January 2007 torture slayings of Channon Christian, 21, and Christopher Newsom, 23.

Blackwood, via the AOC and state Attorney General's Office, has signaled he, like the TBI, will honor the newspaper's public records request, although a target date has not yet been established. The AOC is the administrative arm of the Tennessee Supreme Court, which appointed Blackwood to handle the Baumgartner scandal and its aftermath.

Blackwood released 155 pages of the TBI file that he said he used as basis for granting new trials to the four defendants in the Christian/Newsom slayings. He has refused, however, to release the rest of the file, believed to contain more than 1,000 additional pages. TBI files are exempt from the Tennessee Open Records Act.

However, the file in its entirety was made an exhibit in the Christian/Newsom case. Blackwood ordered it sealed, though. Nichols, who had not challenged the order sealing the file, has said in court documents recently filed that he would not oppose an unsealing of it now.

It was Nichols' announcement that apparently prompted Blackwood to write Gwyn.

"I would appreciate the position of the TBI on this issue," Blackwood wrote in a March 5 letter.

In that letter, Blackwood says the file not yet publicly revealed "relate to numerous copies of search warrants, phone records and other documents."

"There are several additional interviews of witnesses that basically reiterate the drug use of Richard Baumgartner," he continued. "Additionally, the file contains interviews regarding to the investigation of Christopher Gibson (a felon from whom Baumgartner bought pills). Finally, the file contains some tape-recorded conversation between Deena Castleman, Richard Baumgartner and a third person.

"In summary, the remainder of the report displays the thoroughness of the investigation but hardly presents any additional evidence not already disclosed," he wrote. "There is, however, a small portion of the file that details Richard Baumgartner's inappropriate sexual advances to ladies."

In the letter, Blackwood writes that the public "erroneously believes" he "has the power to release this file."

"I believe that I cannot do so without TBI consent," he wrote.

Gwyn responded to Blackwood on March 6, saying TBI does not have "the legal authority to consent to public disclosure of the contents of that file." He referred to a state statute that does allow TBI files to made public "by order of a court of record."

Blackwood responded with a March 7 letter about a hearing set two days later.

"I intend to make the file public subject to these limitations: all names, addresses and phone numbers of interviewees and confidential informants will be redacted. Those interviews that related to Judge Baumgartner's sexual advances will remain closed."

At that March 9 hearing, however, Blackwood called to the podium a legal representative for the TBI and, through him, outlined all the reasons why TBI files are kept confidential even after their probes are finished. Blackwood concluded at the hearing he had no authority to unseal the file.

Baumgartner, who resigned after pleading guilty to official misconduct for buying pills from Gibson, was never charged for using Castleman, a graduate of his Drug Court program, to acquire pills. Blackwood granted him judicial diversion, which spared the judge's pension.

He is now the subject of a federal probe, the TBI confirmed to the News Sentinel last week. The U.S. Attorney's Office, which is spearheading the probe, has declined to comment.

abb
Member Avatar

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/let_make_lug_LUwqn1Q09V2j81RyQokcDI

Let’s make ‘lug’

By DOUGLAS MONTERO and ANDY SOLTIS

Last Updated: 2:34 AM, March 29, 2012

Posted: 12:54 AM, March 29, 2012

That’s why the lady is a . . . valise?

Dominique Strauss-Kahn referred to the young beauties he teamed up at wild sex parties as “luggage,” “gifts” and “equipment” in text messages that may be used to prosecute him for involvement in a prostitution ring.

The former International Monetary Fund chief, known as DSK, sent the texts to friends when planning orgies, the French daily Le Monde reported yesterday,

“Do you want to (can you?) come to a great sexy nightclub in Madrid with me (and some equipment) on July 4?” he wrote to a businessman friend who also was charged.

The 62-year-old, married DSK admitted to French police probing the hooker ring that his use of the terms was “not very sophisticated” — but he said it was quicker than listing out all the women’s names.

The texts are expected to be key evidence in a potential prosecution of DSK as a major figure in the ring, which was based in northern France and allegedly sent call girls to link up with Strauss-Kahn and friends in Lille, Paris and Washington.

At least five prostitutes have told investigators they had sex with DSK.

His lawyers said Tuesday he was just a “simple swinger” who is being prosecuted for “the crime of lust.”

A photo of DSK with a woman, described as a call girl named Jade, surfaced yesterday. The photo showed the pair, both fully dressed, in an undisclosed office, the British newspaper the Sun said.

She is believed to be the same Jade, 29, who told investigators DSK invited her to his IMF office for a sex party while she was visiting the US. “I found him charming and polite,” she was quoted as saying. “He was treated like the messiah at orgies we went to.”

Meanwhile, DSK’s bid to avoid being sued by the New York maid accusing him of rape fell flat in The Bronx yesterday.

State Supreme Court Justice Douglas McKeon repeatedly interrupted Strauss-Kahn’s lawyers when they tried to block Nafissatou Diallo’s lawsuit on the grounds that he is protected by diplomatic immunity.

DSK lawyer Amit Mehta said his client was shielded by a 1947 UN agreement that protects senior officials of agencies like the International Monetary Fund.

But McKeon vigorously questioned Mehta, pointing out that DSK didn’t raise the immunity issue when he was being charged by Manhattan prosecutors last year, after Diallo said he attacked her at the Sofitel hotel.

Outside court, Diallo lawyer Ken Thompson said, “DSK thinks he’s above the law. His claim of immunity is completely baseless.”

[email protected]

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/let_make_lug_LUwqn1Q09V2j81RyQokcDI#ixzz1qUxTHnNA

Bill Anderson
Member Avatar

abb
Mar 29 2012, 04:16 AM
http://www.herald-sun.com/view/full_story/18033660/article-Letters--March-29--2012?

I accidentally learned (because I happened to be watching television at the right time on the right news station) that they said Tracey Cline “is under the microscope again” under some state board of review.

We elected her for office, as we did the judges, and we pay the taxes for their salaries. I’m not saying she’s right or wrong, but since it is our vote and our money paying the salaries, we have a right to know.

Do our votes for DA even mean anything if judges can just decide to remove her, without the state keeping us informed? Are our taxes worthwhile, if the judges we elect use their authority to remove other officials we elect at their discretion? Once again, we don’t know all the facts of the case, but we feel that as taxpayers we are the employers of the judges and the DA both, and should be allowed to know all the facts of the case.

There are a lot of people who feel that justice may not have been served here. It is through knowledge that democracy works, and usually it is through the media that the public has that kind of knowledge. She may have deserved removal, but we certainly don’t know from the facts that have been presented.

Kyle Simpson

Durham

In other words, he is saying that because voters in Durham want to be represented by criminals and liars, any attempt to get the liars out of office is wrong. What a sewer.

:bill:

kbp

Bill Anderson
Mar 29 2012, 10:04 AM
abb

Kyle Simpson

Durham

In other words, he is saying that because voters in Durham want to be represented by criminals and liars, any attempt to get the liars out of office is wrong. What a sewer.

This guy is mixing removal from office with the review by the bar evidently. The hearing to remove her from office had all the evidence out there, much of it long before the hearing was initiated.

What the bar does now has nothing to do with voters, not in the manner he mentioned it.
Edited by kbp, Mar 29 2012, 10:30 AM.

abb
Member Avatar

kbp
Mar 29 2012, 10:29 AM
Bill Anderson
Mar 29 2012, 10:04 AM
abb

Kyle Simpson

Durham

This guy is mixing removal from office with the review by the bar evidently. The hearing to remove her from office had all the evidence out there, much of it long before the hearing was initiated.

What the bar does now has nothing to do with voters, not in the manner he mentioned it.
In the ongoing saga of the Jonesboro, LA mayor that I've been reporting upon for the past two years, I ran across this same mentality in a state legislator. His comment was something to the effect that the mayor was duly elected and that he shouldn't be removed, even if he did break the law. They look out for one another, you can believe it!

MikeKell
Member Avatar
Still a Newbie
Quote:

They have seen the evidence. They think there is something else? This is just the big conspiracy theory again in a new form. Everything that led to the removal was done in public.

abb
Member Avatar

http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/29/limbaugh-takes-victory-lap-announces-ratings-leap-on-600-stations/

Limbaugh defies liberal critics: Announces ratings leap on 600 stations
By Jeff Poor - The Daily Caller 4:00 PM 03/29/2012
ADVERTISEMENT

On his Thursday radio program, conservative host Rush Limbaugh countered claims that his show had been suffering after reports from Media Matters and other left-wing storefronts that advertisers were rushing toward the exits.

An article published Thursday in the Washington Post noted that the uproar against Limbaugh had cooled since his controversial remarks about Georgetown Law student and self-proclaimed contraception activist Sandra Fluke, with the return of some advertisers and a decrease in complaints.

Limbaugh said on his radio program, “normally I don’t talk about [my ratings] in specifics because in the ethics of the broadcast business you don’t do it.” Before proceeding to share a glimpse of his ratings, he added, “It’s enough to say: Most listened to radio talk show in the country ever, and it’s unlikely to ever be topped.”

Overall, Limbaugh said, his show’s ratings are higher on all 600 stations that carry it, and up as high as 60 percent at one station.

“The simple answer is that on the range of all 600 radio stations, our ratings are up anywhere from 10 to 60 percent, depending on the station,” he said.

“And that’s as detailed as I’m going to get,” Limbaugh added. “What I mean by that is we could be up 33 percent on one station, 12 percent on another — 60 percent is the top that we’re up on another. We’re up 50 percent in a number of places.”

Triumphing in his apparent victory over activists agitating for an ad boycott, Limbaugh said, “The advertisers who hung in here are going gangbusters, yes. I mean, that’s the simple truth. The only ones who got hurt are the ones who left. And that’s its own tragedy because they left under false, trumped up, unreal pretenses.”

Follow Jeff on Twitter

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/29/limbaugh-takes-victory-lap-announces-ratings-leap-on-600-stations/#ixzz1qXn0Vsjc

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · DUKE LACROSSE - Liestoppers · Next Topic »
Add Reply