Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Blog and Media Roundup - Tuesday, April 19, 2011; News Roundup
Topic Started: Apr 19 2011, 03:41 AM (1,147 Views)
abb
Member Avatar

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/04/19/2011-04-19_duke_lacross_rape_accuser_charged_with_murder_in_boyfriends_death.html

Crystal Mangum, Duke lacross rape accuser, charged with murder in boyfriend's stabbing death

BY Lukas I. Alpert
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, April 19th 2011, 10:05 AM
Crystal Mangum was charged with murder after her boyfriend, whom she's accused of stabbing several weeks ago, died this weekend.
Sara D. Davis/AP
Crystal Mangum was charged with murder after her boyfriend, whom she's accused of stabbing several weeks ago, died this weekend.

The woman who infamously made false claims of rape against Duke lacrosse players, has been charged with murder in the stabbing death of her boyfriend, officials said.

Crystal Mangum, 32, was indicted Monday on a count of first-degree murder in the killing of Reginald Daye.

Mangum has been jailed since allegedly stabbing Daye, 46, on April 3 in Durham, N.C. He died two weeks later.

Friends say Mangum remains haunted by the 2006 episode in which she accused Duke lacrosse players of raping her at a party where she'd been hired to perform as a stripper.

Mangum is black and the players she accused were white and the case became a national touchstone focused on long-standing racial and class tensions in Durham.

But Mangum's story later fell apart and the case was dismissed. The district attorney who championed her claims was later disbarred and an investigation declared the players the victims of a "tragic rush to accuse."

While she was never charged in that case, Mangum's legal troubles continued.

Last year, she was convicted on misdemeanor charges of setting a fire in a fight with Daye that nearly burned her home down with her three young children inside.

Mangum's close friend Vincent Clark said she suffered from mental health problems and urged people not to rush to justice.

"I'm sad for her. I hope people realize how difficult it is being her," he said.

When Daye's nephew called 911 the day he stabbed, he immediately referred to her notoriety.

"It's Crystal Magnum. THE Crystal Magnum," he told the emergency operator. "I told him she was trouble from the damn beginning."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
abb
Member Avatar

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/04/19/1140477/unc-ch-student-who-claimed-hate.html

Published Tue, Apr 19, 2011 10:18 AM
Modified Tue, Apr 19, 2011 10:25 AM
UNC student who claimed hate crime cited for filing false report
By Mark Schultz - Staff writer
Published in: Orange County


CHAPEL HILL A UNC-Chapel Hill freshman who claimed he was attacked by a man who burned his wrist and called him an anti-gay slur has been charged with filing a false report.

Quinn Richardson Matney, 19, of Asheville, was charged by citation Friday and is scheduled to appear in court May 16 in Hillsborough, according to a campus police report.

Matney reported he had been attacked outside Craige Residence Hall about 3:30 a.m. April 4 by a man who pressed a piece of hot metal into his wrist.

He reported the alleged incident to campus police the next day, but it was not publicized to the campus community until Chancellor Holden Thorp announced April 11 that the university was investigating it as a possible hate crime.

UNC-CH determined the report was false the next day, but the alleged incident and university's response concerned the campus gay students groups and others, which held a meeting last Thursday.

Matney later admitted the wound was self-inflicted, his father told the Daily Tar Heel.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Quasimodo

Quote:
 
Friends say Mangum remains haunted by the 2006 episode in which she accused Duke lacrosse players of raping her at a party where she'd been hired to perform as a stripper.


Well, while still (IMHO) untrue, at least it's better than (and likely a correction of) the "haunted since the 2006 episode..."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Quasimodo

Quote:
 
Quinn Richardson Matney, 19, of Asheville, was charged by citation Friday and is scheduled to appear in court May 16 in Hillsborough, according to a campus police report.


Meanwhile, the biggest false accuser in NCCU history doesn't get even a citation for that (let
alone a court appearance...)

If I were Quinn, I'd demand equal enforcement of the laws (meaning, he gets the same
as Crystal) and not disparate and random prosecution...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
nyesq83
Member Avatar

"Last year, she was convicted on misdemeanor charges of setting a fire in a fight with Daye that nearly burned her home down with her three young children inside"

The Daily News still hires morons for reporters...NOT DAYE, another boyfriend, you idiot Lukas I. Alpert.
Edited by nyesq83, Apr 19 2011, 01:17 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
maggief

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/04/revisiting-the-duke-rape-case/237559/

Ta-Nehisi Coates - Ta-Nehisi Coates is a senior editor for The Atlantic, where he writes about culture, politics, and social issues for TheAtlantic.com and the magazine. He is the author of the memoir The Beautiful Struggle. More

Revisiting the Duke Rape Case
By Ta-Nehisi Coates

Apr 19 2011, 1:30 PM ET Comment

A sad, sad end:

Crystal Mangum, the woman who claimed three Duke lacrosse players raped her five years ago, could soon be facing murder charges after the man she's accused of stabbing has died. Mangum, 32, allegedly stabbed live-in boyfriend Reginald Daye, 46, during an April 3 argument. According to Durham, N.C., police, Mangum stabbed him in the torso with a kitchen knife. He was taken to Duke University Hospital and treated for serious injuries.

Daye died Wednesday evening, according to police. "More than likely, we will be upgrading the charge to murder," Durham Police Chief Jose Lopez Sr. told The Herald Sun of Durham Wednesday.


And maybe a beginning:

Just before 4 a.m. this morning, men's lacrosse player Reade Seligmann '09 planned to lace up his running shoes, throw on a bright-yellow traffic jacket and run laps around the Main Green. Seligmann, the former Duke lacrosse suspect who was vindicated earlier this year, will be jogging for the Brown team's fall charity project: a 36-hour run-a-thon to raise funds for the Innocence Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to exonerating innocent prisoners through DNA testing.

Seligmann pitched the idea of a lacrosse team charity event for the Innocence Project even before he committed to transferring to Brown this spring. Head Coach Lars Tiffany '90 liked the idea and organized the event this fall after team members approved, much to the delight of the New York City-based organization.

"It's an extraordinary thing that (Seligmann) and the whole team are doing," said Eric Ferrero, the Innocence Project's communications director. "That's money that will let us take additional clients and conduct additional DNA testing on behalf of our clients who are currently in prison fighting to prove their innocence."


That last link is old, but I thought it was important to bring up. First, I missed it when it happened. But more then that I think it would have been all too human for Seligmann to get up on his moral high horse and speak as though what happened to him, doesn't regularly happen to people without the benefit of a well-funded legal team.

That he did not take that approach is commendable:

"Just having gone through what I went through really opened my eyes to the injustices" of the court system, Seligmann said. "The Innocence Project right now is the most legitimate program trying to change the wrongs of the criminal system."

Seligmann became involved with the organization after being invited to its first banquet in April, shortly after he was declared innocent. At the banquet, he met other wrongly accused people, some of whom had spent years in jail for crimes they didn't commit.

"It was one of the most incredible experiences that I ever had," Seligmann said. "Getting a chance to meet some of these people really puts a face on some of these issues. To see what these people went though is mind-boggling. Getting a chance to talk about what they went through and how the justice system treated them really inspired me to make a difference."


Good on him. I hope he stays true to it.

UPDATE: My bad:

Seligmann's experience of being indicted and then cleared of the allegations proved motivating. He will graduate from Brown University later this month with a joint degree in history and public policy. He plans to attend law school, where he will focus on criminal defense and work to reduce the number of innocent people behind bars. "It opened my eyes to things I never knew existed," Seligmann said in a recent interview, adding, "When you have your life taken out of your hands, it's terrifying.


Apparently he has stayed true to it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
abb
Member Avatar

http://www.thepcpblog.com/?p=190

Is The Woman Who Cried Wolf Really The Predator?

Five years ago, Crystal Mangum accused several members of the Duke University Lacrosse team of rape. Mangum said she was hired to perform as an exotic dancer at an off-campus party hosted by the student athletes. Then Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong brought charges against the young men. The country was soon embroiled in debate. There were arguments about race, class, gender, rape victims’ rights, and seemingly everything related to those subjects. The Duke athletes were vilified. Crystal Mangum received the sympathy (or suspicion) of her fellow Americans. Then the real story was presented. The rape accusation was a lie. Mr. Nifong was removed from office and disbarred.

Fast forward a few years and Ms. Mangum has made the news again. It appears she has anger issues. In December, Mangum was convicted of three counts of contributing to the abuse and neglect of minors, resisting a police officer, and causing in excess of $200 in property damage to her boyfriend’s car. Mangum was released after 88 days of time served and the local authorities did not further pursue the matter.

This month Ms. Mangum is in jail facing more serious charges. She was initially arrested for assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and inflicting serious injury. On April 3, Mangum fought with her boyfriend (not the same man as the December victim). She stabbed the victim several times in the torso. He was rushed to a hospital where he died two weeks later. Mangum’s charges have now been changed to murder.

There are several disturbing parts to the Crystal Mangum story. The first is that she is a parent. While I am unsure of how many children she has, I know that her daughter called 911 during the altercation in early April. I am concerned of the message she is sending her children – violence is allowed to solve problems in romantic relationships. I am also concerned for the futures of Mangum’s children. Some might argue they will be better away from their mother. It can also be argued that they will pine for the love of their mother and act out as a cause. It is possible they will move past the tragedy that has occurred in their lives and become productive members of society. I am certainly hoping for the latter.

Another disturbing factor in the Mangum tale is the extreme rage exhibited by this woman. All of us have been angry at least one time in life. Mangum’s anger (or lack of anger management) caused her to damage one boyfriend’s property. A few months later, her actions escalated and she physically harmed and is ultimately responsible for the death of a man. Where is Mangum’s off switch? What has happened in her life that allows her to think going to such extremes is acceptable to express her displeasure? Domestic violence, abuse, and murder are all serious situations. So is rape.

It is interesting that the same woman who was an accuser now stands accused. Is her recent behavior an unresolved issue from trauma related to the 2006 rape allegations? Has Mangum been violent and extreme all along? If these events occurred before the Duke rape case, would people still have believed she was an innocent victim? The answers to these questions are unknown and hard to predict. However, the one thing we should remember and likely learned as children is to be careful of those who cry wolf. Sometimes an alleged victim is the villain.
*You can read more about Crystal Mangum’s past and present cases at www.heraldsun.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
abb
Member Avatar

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/judge-rules-against-unc-in-no-lawsuit

Judge rules against UNC in N&O lawsuit
Submitted by ldecock on 04/19/2011

The University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill withheld documents that should have been provided to The News & Observer in response to an open-records lawsuit filed by a consortium of media groups led by The N&O and The Charlotte Observer against the university, Wake County Superior Court Judge Howard Manning ruled Tuesday.

In a memorandum regarding his decision, Manning wrote, "FERPA does not provide a student with an invisible cloak so that the student can remain hidden from public view while enrolled at UNC."

The university cited FERPA, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, as justification for withholding phone records and parking tickets requested by The N&O.

Manning did rule that the identities of student tutors working with athletic teams are protected by FERPA. Lawyers for UNC provided the plaintiffs with a list of non-student tutors at the beginning of a hearing Friday.

Manning directed attorneys representing the media groups to prepare an order implementing his decision. The university will then have the right to appeal the order.

Still to be decided is one major area of the lawsuit, which is the request for all documents relating to investigations into the UNC football program. Manning and the lawyers for both sides agreed at Friday's hearing that it was necessary first to decide the three other areas of dispute -- phone records, parking tickets and tutor identities.

The N&O and Charlotte Observer, both McClatchy newspapers, joined in the suit with the DTH Media Corp., which publishes the UNC-CH student newspaper The Daily Tar Heel; News 14 Carolina, a cable TV station operated by Time Warner Entertainment-Advance/Newhouse Partnership; WTVD Television; Capitol Broadcasting; The Associated Press; and Media General Operations.

The suit names UNC-CH chancellor Holden Thorp, athletic director Dick Baddour, football coach Butch Davis and Jeff McCracken, head of the UNC-CH public safety department, as defendants.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
abb
Member Avatar

http://www.dukechronicle.com/node/155347/talk

3:13 PM
April 19, 2011
Raven

Very early on in the Duke lacrosse case, there was a report by a female journalism student from NCCU who wrote of her experience in researching Crystal Mangum's story. This student reporter acknowledged that initially she had been sympathetic to Mangum and was convinced that she was telling the truth. But she found that, as she interviewed people in the AA community, the consistent response was "watch out", that Mangum had a reputation for cooking up outlandish unsubstantiated accusations against others.

This NCCU reporter said that she had discussed her dilemma with her journalism professor at NCCU, that she wanted to be supportive of Crystal Mangum, but that the information she was uncovering was contrary to than the image of Mangum offered up by the News & Observer and others. Her professor reportedly encouraged her to follow the story wherever it led her.

Nothing more was ever heard from this journalism student from NCCU.

What happened to her? Who instructed her to drop her line of investigation? Who complained that it did not fit the metanarrative?

If only we had received a more balanced view of Crystal Mangum in the beginning, we might not be so shocked by the news that she is alleged to have knifed a man to death for his rent money.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
abb
Member Avatar

http://www.dukechronicle.com/node/155337/talk

comments to today's Chronicle article.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Joan Foster

Another Chronicle comment:

Rather than firing Brodhead and members of the Duke administration, the Board of Trustees should arrange for them to receive a special award from the American Bar Association.

Through the LAX cases, the Potti scandal, and other actions too numerous to mention, Duke's president and administration have almost single-handedly solved the problem of low employment for the recent law school graduates for several decades to come.

I don't know about you, but I'll be proud of Dick and Company every time I see the lacrosse scandal, Magnum, and so many others mentioned on the evening news and tabloid shows the next few years, knowing that behind the reams of testimony and legal paperwork are an army of legal clerks and attorneys getting paid good money to keep the wheels of the American economy spinning.

Law school alum Richard Nixon would be proud of their initiative.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
cks
Member Avatar

Joan Foster
Apr 19 2011, 06:00 PM
Another Chronicle comment:

Rather than firing Brodhead and members of the Duke administration, the Board of Trustees should arrange for them to receive a special award from the American Bar Association.

Through the LAX cases, the Potti scandal, and other actions too numerous to mention, Duke's president and administration have almost single-handedly solved the problem of low employment for the recent law school graduates for several decades to come.

I don't know about you, but I'll be proud of Dick and Company every time I see the lacrosse scandal, Magnum, and so many others mentioned on the evening news and tabloid shows the next few years, knowing that behind the reams of testimony and legal paperwork are an army of legal clerks and attorneys getting paid good money to keep the wheels of the American economy spinning.

Law school alum Richard Nixon would be proud of their initiative.
I know of a soon to be law graduate who will be looking for a job - she is a cracker jack reader and researcher. It would make Mr. cks and I very happy to know that she would be gainfully employed for a number of years to come.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · DUKE LACROSSE - Liestoppers · Next Topic »
Add Reply