| Blog and Media Roundup - Monday, March 8, 2010; News Roundup | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Mar 8 2010, 05:42 AM (310 Views) | |
| abb | Mar 8 2010, 05:42 AM Post #1 |
|
http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/6602290/article-Officials-at-odds-on-planning-panel-member?instance=homethirdleft Officials at odds on planning panel member 03.07.10 - 11:23 pm By Ray Gronberg gronberg@heraldsun.com; 419-6648 DURHAM — An outspoken member of the Durham Planning Commission could find herself in a battle for a second three-year term on the advisory board later this month, if County Commissioner Brenda Howerton gets her way. Rougemont-area resident Linda Huff-Smith was among three people a joint city/county panel last week said county officials should appoint or reappoint to the Planning Commission. But Howerton abstained from the vote and made it clear she favored a different candidate, Bahama-area resident Teiji Kimball. Kimball, an Asian-American, would add needed diversity to the Planning Commission, Howerton said. “It is not for anyone else or against anyone else, except that we’ve got to represent Durham County,” Howerton told the county commissioners and City Council members who sit on the panel that approved the recommendations. “We need to represent all the people and not just some.” Most of her colleagues, though, agreed with Planning Commission Chairman Don Moffitt that Huff-Smith has served well and in her first term climbed the steep learning curve that goes with service on the advisory board. “People who’ve served for a term and have done a good job really deserve to be retained” for a second, County Commissioner Ellen Reckhow said. “Using their experience and allowing them to serve another term is good public policy.” The joint panel’s recommendation isn’t binding on County Commissioners, who will have to settle the issue later this month. Kimball and Huff-Smith have applied to represent the Mangum Township section of northern Durham County on the Planning Commission. They’re the only applicants for that seat. Huff-Smith has been in the news lately for several reasons. In January, she voted against the city government’s request that the Planning Commission declare the Rolling Hills and Southside neighborhoods blighted. The designation allowed the city and a private developer to apply for low-income housing tax credits to help pay for the redevelopment of the Rolling Hills area. She’s also been pushing the Planning Commission to get behind asking for some sort of district representation scheme that would reserve one seat on the County Commissioners for a resident of rural Durham County. The artist and Democratic Party activist has also prodded county and N.C. Department of Transportation officials to replace a washed-out bridge amid a northern Durham County forest owned by N.C. State University. She and other supporters of replacing the bridge say the gap Tropical Storm Hanna created in State Forest Road in September 2008 could slow response to fires and other emergencies in the area. Kimball, an IT consultant, is a Republican Party activist who made waves in the fall of 2008 for comments he made to The Herald-Sun about that year’s presidential election. He said the Democrats’ then-candidate, future President Barack Obama, had “made a mark as being the most Marxist candidate ever” for the country’s highest office. The Planning Commission’s January vote on Rolling Hills drew criticism that month from City Council members. The commission, Huff-Smith included, subsequently backed a city-proposed rezoning of part of the Rolling Hills site. County Commissioners haven’t weighed in on the district-representation issue. But a push for that would be certain to trigger opposition, thanks to Durham’s demographics. The county as of 2008 looked to the U.S. Census Bureau to be about 48 percent white and 36 percent black. But the portion of the county that lies outside the city of Durham was only about 20 percent black. The Census Bureau estimated that about 4.2 percent of the county’s population is Asian. Two City Council members who participated in the joint panel’s debate on the recommendation, Mike Woodard and Diane Catotti, favoring giving Huff-Smith another term. But another councilwoman, Cora Cole-McFadden, said city officials had no business weighing in on a county matter. Huff-Smith is one of four white women now serving on the Planning Commission. Four white men, four black men and one black woman fill out the roster. County Commissioners appoint seven of the board’s 14 members. One of the county seats is vacant. Two white men, three white women and one black man hold the others. |
![]() |
|
| abb | Mar 8 2010, 05:46 AM Post #2 |
|
http://falserapesociety.blogspot.com/ Monday, March 8, 2010 Woman arrested for false report of sexual assault Thank god for video surveillance. One wonders why she filed the false allegation to begin with. And at least she is named. Lillian Palmer Arrested for false report of sexual assault A Petaluma woman has been arrested for falsely reporting that she was sexually assaulted by an employee at a local convenience store. Lillian Palmer, 23, contacted the Petaluma Police Department at 1:50 a.m. on Wednesday to report that while shopping there alone, she was sexually assaulted by an employee of the 7-Eleven store at 2000 Lakeville Highway, said Sgt. Andrew Urton. Police officers then accompanied Palmer to the store, where she placed the employee under citizen's arrest for sexual assault. The employee was taken into custody and brought to the police department for questioning. The store manager was called, and subsequently provided security recordings from the store. After reviewing the recordings, police determined that Palmer had falsely reported the crime to police. The employee was released, and no charges were filed. Palmer was asked to come to the police department for further questioning, and when confronted with evidence, she admitted that no sexual assault had taken place. She later was booked into Sonoma County Jail for falsely reporting a crime, Urton said. Link: http://www.petaluma360.com/article/20100209/COMMUNITY/100209491/1362?Title=Woman-arrested-for-false-report-of-sexual-assault |
![]() |
|
| abb | Mar 8 2010, 05:58 AM Post #3 |
|
http://www.diamondbackonline.com/sports/catalino-gets-best-of-older-brother-against-duke-on-saturday-1.1258629 Catalino gets best of older brother against Duke on Saturday Men's lax attackman scored game-winning goal in overtime to beat Blue Devils, older brother Mike By Jakob Engelke | Published: Monday, March 8, 2010 Updated: Monday, March 8, 2010 BALTIMORE – The Terrapin men’s lacrosse team’s dramatic overtime win against Duke on Saturday couldn’t have gone any better for attackman Grant . The 6-foot-5, 225-pound junior from Webster, N.Y., had already scored four goals when regulation ended, but it was his fifth that earned the Terps (3-0, 1-0 ACC) a victory at M&T Bank Stadium. After long pole Brian Farrell’s clearance, Catalino received a pass from midfielder Dean Hart and rifled a shot past Duke goalie Dan Wigrizer. Once it went in, the Terps stormed the field and tackled Catalino in jubilation. “I feel like I blacked out a few seconds right after. I didn’t really know what to do,” said Catalino, who has 104 career points. “That’s the first overtime goal I’ve ever scored in my life. … It didn’t take much thought when I caught the ball. I just did what I do everyday in practice and throughout the whole game. Luckily it went in.” What could make a six-point performance capped off with a game-winning goal in overtime even more meaningful? Grant Catalino’s older brother, Mike Catalino, is a senior midfielder for the Blue Devils. “We’ve kind of had a friendly, competitive relationship throughout our games here against each other,” Catalino said. “But obviously the rivalry against Duke is always amped up, and being here at this venue just makes the atmosphere more exciting and fun.” Duke’s Catalino scored with 10:27 left to play in the third quarter, bringing the Blue Devils to within one goal of the Terps. The shot was a bullet from about 15 yards out and gave Duke (2-2, 0-1) their first goal from a midfielder in the game. The younger Catalino said he’s learned a lot from watching his brother play. His older brother’s dedication to lacrosse was a major factor in his decision to play the sport in the first place. “He’s taught me a lot of skills that I know today,” Grant Catalino said. “We grew up in the backyard, throwing the ball against the wall and shooting on the goal. He would always push me when he was going out to shoot. … He and my father were the driving forces behind my success today.” Catalino said his residence in New York might look perplexing to someone who doesn’t know the two brothers play on separate teams. While one part of the house dons an image of Testudo, another is adorned with Duke paraphernalia — something that might cause some Terp faithful to cringe. “My mom’s got the shrines of the pictures of him in his room with the Duke blue and then my room’s got the Maryland red,” Catalino said. “But in the summertime it’s all fun and games. … It’s just a good brother relationship.” And although Grant Catalino said the rivalry is friendly, it doesn’t stop him from relishing in Saturday’s victory. He noted it’s going to be fun to own the bragging rights over his older sibling. “It was the last time that we’ll ever be on the same field again in a competitive atmosphere,” Catalino said. “It was a good way to end the rivalry.” For the younger Catalino, it couldn’t have ended any better. |
![]() |
|
| abb | Mar 8 2010, 06:31 AM Post #4 |
|
http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=2&aid=178919 Mar. 8, 2010 Memphis TV Station Finds Hundreds of Rape Kits Untested for DNA Posted by Al Tompkins at 5:57 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 Memphis TV station WREG found that more than a thousand rape kits -- evidence of sexual assault used to help identify an attacker -- went untested for DNA from 2007-2009. The city of Memphis collected the kits, and in thousands of cases decided for various reasons not to send them to be tested. They included instances in which a "victim decides not to press charges, date rapes, domestic sexual assaults, and many times when the victim does not know the attacker." When the kits are not tested, victims don't have much hope for justice, and police don't have the evidence they need to link one attack to another through DNA databases. In one year, only 6 percent of the rape kits handled by the city were tested; in another, 9 percent were. After the TV station reported the story, the city shipped 600 kits to the state crime lab for testing. The city went on to change its official policy: Now it will send all rape kits for testing. I asked reporter Keli Rabon to tell us more about how she found and reported the story. Below is our edited e-mail exchange. Al Tompkins: How did you hear about this story? Keli Rabon: In November, we saw a CBS News investigation about rape kit testing from other parts of the country, and wanted to see what the situation was in Memphis. How did you find the victims whose rape kits were not tested? Rabon: We went through hundreds of police reports and looked at the information available on each case. In most all of the cases, the victim's name was listed but the phone numbers were often disconnected. Utilizing public records and online searches, I tracked down phone numbers for dozens of victims. Most victims were hesitant to talk on camera about their story and what may or may not have happened to their kit. But they all remembered the painful and embarrassing process they had to go through, as evidence was collected within hours of their attack. Why on earth would police not send these kits away for testing? Is it money? Rabon: That's a great question. We don't know why they don't test. Police say they test what they think is needed. Police can send the kit to be processed (to see if sperm can be detected on the sample) but the DA's office must sign off on the DNA testing. We're told that, typically, the DA will not sign off on DNA testing unless police have developed a suspect. So in cases where the suspect was "Unknown," it's unlikely that the kit would be DNA-tested if police were unable to find a suspect. In cases of boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife sexual assault, police say it's unlikely that those kits would be tested because the question is about consensuality, not "did a sexual act occur?" But if the kit is never tested, the suspect's DNA is not loaded into the national database [CODIS, the Combined DNA Index System, established and funded by the FBI], thus reducing the chance of solving other crimes in other jurisdictions. In Tennessee, the initial processing and DNA testing of rape kits is FREE to local law enforcement. It is already factored into the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation's state budget, though that may be changing in July due to budget cuts. What changed after your reporting? Rabon: Two days after our stories aired, the city of Memphis announced changes to its rape kit testing policy. They have gathered 600 backlogged rape kits that have never been analyzed, and are in the process of sending them to TBI for testing. Now, all rape kits will be sent for testing. Is it fair to say this story would play out in other cities? Rabon: Yes. It is definitely worth the time and effort of looking into. There may not be a problem like there was in Memphis, but you don't know until [you] start digging. One thing we found when we talked to advocates is that they have been waiting on a story like this to be told for a long time, but they didn't know who was going to tell the story. What advice do you have for other reporters to help them get started? Rabon: * Gathering incident reports is crucial to finding a victim. Know where victims go to get their rape kits administered. * Talk to victim advocates and see if they're aware of the problem. Be careful here -- many advocate groups work closely with the police and DA's office, so politics can come into play. * Verify the numbers and don't just take what they give you the first time. Check with the police department, the DA's office, and the agency/lab that does the testing. In our case, it was a state agency (TBI), but that may vary in other places. * Remember, all rapes don't have a rape kit. Ask for "rape kit numbers" not just "rapes." Understand that "rape kits" can also be administered in cases of other sexual assaults, not just rape. * Understand the difference between the rape kit being 'analyzed' or 'processed,' and the rape kit being 'DNA Tested.' This will help in asking the right questions early on. * We purchased our own rape kit on the Internet. It helped to add a visual element to a difficult story to tell in pictures. Being able to look at the kit and the contents inside helped us understand how invasive the procedure is for these men and women, and how delicate we needed to be in our storytelling. |
![]() |
|
| Quasimodo | Mar 8 2010, 09:28 AM Post #5 |
|
Likely because in most cases the alleged assailant is known to the accuser (as in date rape or domestic cases), or the accuser recants. |
![]() |
|
| sceptical | Mar 8 2010, 10:45 PM Post #6 |
|
Mar 8, 2010 ECAC Office Releases Its Weekly Awards from press release Co-Offensive Players of the Week Collin Finnerty, Loyola Senior, Attack, Garden City, N.Y. Finnerty scored eight goals in a pair of games last week, helping the Greyhounds win their second ECAC Lacrosse League game of the season, 14-8, at Bellarmine. Against the Knights, Finnerty scored a career-high five goals, eclipsing the four goals he scored on three different occasions last season. On Saturday against No. 3 Notre Dame, Finnerty scored three second-half goals, tying for game-high honors. Finnerty’s eight goals came on just 14 shots, and one was an EMO tally against Bellarmine. |
![]() |
|
| sceptical | Mar 8 2010, 10:47 PM Post #7 |
|
4 Named to Tewaaraton Trophy Watch List 03/08/2010 - Duke Sports Information DURHAM, N.C.-Four members of the Duke University men's lacrosse team have been selected to the 2010 Tewaaraton Trophy watch list the Greater Washington Sports Alliance recently announced. Duke's four selections are tied for the most in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Representing the Blue Devils on the watch list for the premier award in college lacrosse are seniors Ned Crotty and Parker McKee, junior Michael Manley and sophomore CJ Costabile. Virginia also has four players on the list, while Maryland has three and North Carolina two choices. The watch list is made up of the top lacrosse players across all three divisions of collegiate lacrosse and are the early hopefuls for the 2010 Tewaaraton Trophy. Watch list nominees are screened and selected by two Selection Committees. The Selection Committees are comprised of college coaches, one committee for the men and one committee for the women. |
![]() |
|
| Baldo | Mar 9 2010, 01:11 AM Post #8 |
|
![]() Reade had three goals in the loss to Hofstra http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-lacros/2009-10/releases/201003065xgr5s |
![]() |
|
| Kerri P. | Mar 9 2010, 01:22 AM Post #9 |
|
snip....
snip...
|
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · DUKE LACROSSE - Liestoppers · Next Topic » |








7:14 PM Jul 10