Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Updated Duke Lacrosse Case Chronology March 13-31, 2006; Origins of the Frame
Topic Started: Jun 19 2009, 02:39 PM (5,759 Views)
Joan Foster

Baldo
Jun 19 2009, 04:08 PM
chatham
Jun 19 2009, 03:56 PM
"Robert Dean, head of Duke Police, reviews Day's report at 7:30 a.m. and then informs Duke officials, INCLUDING Dean of Students."

OK.....
On the first day after the party many Duke officials knew about the accusation of a rape on their property. If Robert dean did not know it involved Duke students, then why inform Duke officials? Soon after this revelation, "Durham PD Sgt. Mark Gottlieb learnsof the case and seeks to take it over from B. Jones." Everyone knew it was a Duke party on Tuesday March 14th.
Yes, sort of shoots the idea Duke's Senior Administration didn't know about it.

...the official report of the Duke Police Department was submitted and reviewed by the Duke Police Director, Robert Dean, at 7:30 a.m. on March 14. This report indicated clearly that the individual making the allegations was a black woman—though information about her race and about the racial aspects of the case did not reach key administrators (including President Brodhead) until March 24. The substance of the report, including the fact that the students involved were lacrosse players but not the fact that the presumed victim was black, was communicated by Mr. Dean by phone to the Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students, Sue Wasiolek, on the morning of March 14. Dean Wasiolek immediately contacted the lacrosse coach, the Director of Athletics, and others in the athletics department, who in turn contacted members of the lacrosse team. Dean Wasiolek also contacted her supervisor, Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta, but neither Wasiolek nor Moneta was aware of the racial aspects of the situation until March 24—a gap in communications that is extraordinary.

*The initial Wasiolek/Moneta round of communications reached the Executive Vice President (EVP), Tallman Trask, but not members of the academic side of the Duke administration or the President until much later. The Public Affairs office was not briefed until Friday, March 17 (after having first learned of the incident that day by monitoring a community listserv)....

THE DUKE ADMINISTRATION'S RESPONSE TO LACROSSE ALLEGATIONS
William G. Bowen and Julius L. Chambers
May 4, 2006
"Dean Wasiolek also contacted her supervisor, Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta, but neither Wasiolek nor Moneta was aware of the racial aspects of the situation until March 24—a gap in communications that is extraordinary."

This language is "extraordinary" to me. Is a crime against someone of one skin hue a red alert and against another" it's just one of those "unfortunate cases of students being in the wrong place at the wrong time." (or whatever Moneta said about the Black Frat rape?

Does Brodhead have a special phone by his bed just for those 3AM phone calls whenever the alleged"victim" is Black?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MikeZPU

Joan Foster
Jun 19 2009, 04:52 PM
Baldo
Jun 19 2009, 04:08 PM
chatham
Jun 19 2009, 03:56 PM
"Robert Dean, head of Duke Police, reviews Day's report at 7:30 a.m. and then informs Duke officials, INCLUDING Dean of Students."

OK.....
On the first day after the party many Duke officials knew about the accusation of a rape on their property. If Robert dean did not know it involved Duke students, then why inform Duke officials? Soon after this revelation, "Durham PD Sgt. Mark Gottlieb learnsof the case and seeks to take it over from B. Jones." Everyone knew it was a Duke party on Tuesday March 14th.
Yes, sort of shoots the idea Duke's Senior Administration didn't know about it.

...the official report of the Duke Police Department was submitted and reviewed by the Duke Police Director, Robert Dean, at 7:30 a.m. on March 14. This report indicated clearly that the individual making the allegations was a black woman—though information about her race and about the racial aspects of the case did not reach key administrators (including President Brodhead) until March 24. The substance of the report, including the fact that the students involved were lacrosse players but not the fact that the presumed victim was black, was communicated by Mr. Dean by phone to the Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students, Sue Wasiolek, on the morning of March 14. Dean Wasiolek immediately contacted the lacrosse coach, the Director of Athletics, and others in the athletics department, who in turn contacted members of the lacrosse team. Dean Wasiolek also contacted her supervisor, Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta, but neither Wasiolek nor Moneta was aware of the racial aspects of the situation until March 24—a gap in communications that is extraordinary.

*The initial Wasiolek/Moneta round of communications reached the Executive Vice President (EVP), Tallman Trask, but not members of the academic side of the Duke administration or the President until much later. The Public Affairs office was not briefed until Friday, March 17 (after having first learned of the incident that day by monitoring a community listserv)....

THE DUKE ADMINISTRATION'S RESPONSE TO LACROSSE ALLEGATIONS
William G. Bowen and Julius L. Chambers
May 4, 2006
"Dean Wasiolek also contacted her supervisor, Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta, but neither Wasiolek nor Moneta was aware of the racial aspects of the situation until March 24—a gap in communications that is extraordinary."

This language is "extraordinary" to me. Is a crime against someone of one skin hue a red alert and against another" it's just one of those "unfortunate cases of students being in the wrong place at the wrong time." (or whatever Moneta said about the Black Frat rape?

Does Brodhead have a special phone by his bed just for those 3AM phone calls whenever the alleged "victim" is Black?
Yes, the bat-cave phone :)

GREAT JOB SCEPTICAL -- THANKS!!!

Baldo
Member Avatar

Joan Foster
Jun 19 2009, 04:52 PM
Does Brodhead have a special phone by his bed just for those 3AM phone calls whenever the alleged"victim" is Black?
It's a direct line to the John Hope Franklin Center and the core "88."'

Everytime it rings he apologizes.

chatham
Member Avatar

When crystal was taken to the Durham Access Center, it has been claimed that a nurse asked crystal directly if she had been raped. Does anyone know the name of that nurse? Could she be a friend of crystals? Did she know Cy? Why would this nurse directly violate the Durham access policy?

sceptical

chatham
Jun 19 2009, 07:40 PM
When crystal was taken to the Durham Access Center, it has been claimed that a nurse asked crystal directly if she had been raped. Does anyone know the name of that nurse? Could she be a friend of crystals? Did she know Cy? Why would this nurse directly violate the Durham access policy?

http://johnsville.blogspot.com/2006/04/duke-lacrosse-rape-timeline.html

The accuser interacted with at least three Durham Access Center staff members: Alycia Wright, Meriecia Smith, and Gerri Lomuriel Wilkes. In response to a question from one of those staff members, accuser initially alleged that she was raped. DPD event logs indicate that accuser was at the Durham Access Center for 40 minutes. Ms. Wilkes told Kirk Osborn that she took handwritten notes of her observations.

MikeZPU

Okay, so you're Dick Brodhead, Larry Moneta, and Dean Sue.
You initially believe the student LAX players that not only was
there no rape, there was no sex.

Kim's 911 call and Ryan's email are enough to change your mind?
(Were these the facts that kept changing?)

You have a PhD and you're a professor at a world-renown academic institution,
but you were duped by the likes of Gottlieb who doesn't even have a college degree?

Exactly how do Kim's 911 call and Ryan's email indicate that a rape occurred?

chatham
Member Avatar

sceptical
Jun 19 2009, 09:05 PM
chatham
Jun 19 2009, 07:40 PM

http://johnsville.blogspot.com/2006/04/duke-lacrosse-rape-timeline.html

The accuser interacted with at least three Durham Access Center staff members: Alycia Wright, Meriecia Smith, and Gerri Lomuriel Wilkes. In response to a question from one of those staff members, accuser initially alleged that she was raped. DPD event logs indicate that accuser was at the Durham Access Center for 40 minutes. Ms. Wilkes told Kirk Osborn that she took handwritten notes of her observations.
Thanks a lot Sceptical.

sceptical

MikeZPU
Jun 19 2009, 11:41 PM

but you were duped by the likes of Gottlieb who doesn't even have a college degree?

In retrospect, it is easy to say this. But at the time, there was what I have called the law enforcement equivalent of the "fog of battle."
There was a lot of confusion, rumors, and bad information.

There were some people, inlcuding myself at first, who thought that some sort of assault, not necessarily rape, could have happened. This was before a lot of the facts were known.

I do not necessarily agree that the Duke officials believed the lacrosse players. Deserved or not, the lacrosse players had a reputation for rowdy behavior and parties. (Of course, not much different than other teams or fraternities at Duke). Those PC administrators at Duke would have thought such a claim of would be possible. There was certainly a lot of hostility towards the players from the Duke faculty and administration, so much so that they were cited in the motion for change of venue.

MikeZPU

sceptical
Jun 20 2009, 07:18 AM
MikeZPU
Jun 19 2009, 11:41 PM

In retrospect, it is easy to say this. But at the time, there was what I have called the law enforcement equivalent of the "fog of battle."
There was a lot of confusion, rumors, and bad information.

There were some people, inlcuding myself at first, who thought that some sort of assault, not necessarily rape, could have happened. This was before a lot of the facts were known.

I do not necessarily agree that the Duke officials believed the lacrosse players. Deserved or not, the lacrosse players had a reputation for rowdy behavior and parties. (Of course, not much different than other teams or fraternities at Duke). Those PC administrators at Duke would have thought such a claim of would be possible. There was certainly a lot of hostility towards the players from the Duke faculty and administration, so much so that they were cited in the motion for change of venue.
I understand what you are saying, and I realize that hindsight is 20-20.

When I think of Brodhead during those early days and weeks, I picture the epitome of a "deer in the headlights."

But even as time went on, Brodhead said a number of things (e.g.,
"the facts kept changing") that give me the impression that he is not
as smart as you would think the president of a world renown academic institution should be
OR maybe his PC-ism clouds his judgement -- I don't know.

I thought I read where Dean Sue initially believed the LAX players' story, Moneta too.
I admit I that I don't think I've read anything indicating what Brodhead's initial impression was.

Payback
Member Avatar

sceptical, congratulations.
This sort of chronology underlies all the best scholarship.

cks
Member Avatar

I find it difficult to believe that no one at Duke thought to ask the second obvious question (the first being do you think a rape actually ccurred) which would be what color was the accuser. I also find it difficult to believe that that piece of information was not given at the same time that information was relayed about the incident at 610 Buchanan. Given that Durham has a large African-American population, and given that with one exception the lacrosse team was composed of whites, would it not cross anyone's mind (in the Duke administration) that they might have a potential racial timebomb ticking away? But of course, that would assume that there are people with some brains in the Duke administrative hierarchy.

:SarC:
Edited by cks, Jun 20 2009, 10:17 AM.

Baldo
Member Avatar

IMHO - The Duke PD knew what was happening. Read Ekstrand's lawsuit. Some Duke police officers were ordered to change their accounts to suit the meta-narrative.

Investigator Jone's was going to close the case. Why didn't she? Why would you pass off an investigation to a known cop who had just been transferred out of the beat because he was harassing Duke students?

Duke PD & DPD knew there was no assault. Why would Investigator Jones say they were going to close the case? Why would a trained female investigator go out on a limb on March 14 over a sexual assault? Because she knew it was False. Sgt Shelton was right.

I have always suspected the Hoax/Frame started on March 14. I see no reason to doubt that.

Why? "Orders" is the most likely answer.

Edited by Baldo, Jun 20 2009, 10:56 AM.

chatham
Member Avatar

Baldo says: Why? "Orders" is the most likely answer.

My point that I have been making all along. There was an agreement between Durham and Duke to solve the TP complaint problem. As soon as the right person or persons found out that crystal was at a party in TP and made some crock statements, KABOOM, the orders came down and the plan when into effect. Duke did not need to know the color of the woman, although they probably did.. The immediate public perception of this case was just an assault or something happening at a party. It was not that. It was a stripper party with no other ladies present, it was not just a late night party. If the immediate public perception was a stripper crying rape or assault, not many would have cared.

Sydney Carton

Congratulations Sceptical.This marks three major posts in a row.
I truly appreciate the major amount of scholarship with which you have gifted us.

Joan Foster

chatham
Jun 20 2009, 12:05 PM
Baldo says: Why? "Orders" is the most likely answer.

My point that I have been making all along. There was an agreement between Durham and Duke to solve the TP complaint problem. As soon as the right person or persons found out that crystal was at a party in TP and made some crock statements, KABOOM, the orders came down and the plan when into effect. Duke did not need to know the color of the woman, although they probably did.. The immediate public perception of this case was just an assault or something happening at a party. It was not that. It was a stripper party with no other ladies present, it was not just a late night party. If the immediate public perception was a stripper crying rape or assault, not many would have cared.
Are you all saying that Duke and Durham intended to solve the party problem by giving the next kids who fell into their clutches.... lengthy prison sentences? Are you saying they decided this BEFORE?

That is something I have trouble with.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DUKE LACROSSE - Liestoppers · Next Topic »
Add Reply