|
fengzhu185
|
Oct 11 2013, 07:46 AM
Post #1
|
|
- Posts:
- 463
- Group:
- Members
- Member
- #172
- Joined:
- Sep 13, 2013
|
NAPLES, Italy -- The prison sentence for former Juventus executive Antonio Giraudo in the 2006 Italian match-fixing scandal was reduced from 36 to 20 months and suspended on appeal Wednesday. Also, the Naples court cleared former referees association president, Tullio Lanese, and former referees Tiziano Piero and Paolo Dondarini. In December 2009, the four defendants in the Calciopoli case were sentenced on charges of criminal association aimed at committing sports fraud. Lanese and Dondarini had each been sentenced to two years, while Pieris initial sentence was for two years and four months. In the appeal ruling, Giraudo was acquitted of two charges of sports fraud on the grounds of insufficient evidence. The charge of criminal association remained, along with one charge of sports fraud -- concerning Juves 2-1 win over Udinese in 2004-05. "Beyond the two acquittals obtained, were very disappointed and surprised by todays decision," Giraudos lawyers, Massimo Krogh and Michele Galasso, said in a statement. "We will wait for the sentences reasons to be published and we will certainly appeal to the Court of Cassation." The Court of Cassation is Italys top criminal court and the final level of appeal. At the heart of Calciopoli were allegations that Giraudo and fellow Juventus executive Luciano Moggi created a network of contacts with Italian football federation officials to influence refereeing assignments and arrange for key players in other teams to be booked ahead of matches with the Turin club. Moggis appeal of his five-year, four-month sentence is due to begin in May. Giraudo and the others who were cleared Wednesday were on fast-track trials. Last year, the Italian football federation extended the five-year bans from the sport for Moggi and Giraudo to life terms. Both men deny wrongdoing. Meanwhile, Moggi appears set to go on trial again in a defamation suit after being accused of offending a paramilitary police officers "reputation and honour" in a 2009 TV show. The police officer, Attilio Auricchio, was one of the investigators for the Calciopoli case. Auricchio is seeking C100,000 ($130,000) in damages, according to the ANSA news agency. In another case, Moggi was given a four-month prison sentence last year for threatening Roma managing director Franco Baldini. Baldini had been set to give evidence in the Calciopoli case in June 2008 when Moggi approached him and allegedly said, "Watch your step or youll have problems." As a result of the scandal, Juventus was stripped of its 2005 and 06 Serie A titles and relegated to the second division with a nine-point penalty. The team immediately won promotion back to Serie A. Besides Juventus, three other big clubs -- AC Milan, Lazio and Fiorentina -- were penalized, as were Reggina and Arezzo. Last season, Juventus won Serie A for the first time since the scandal, and with an undefeated record. The club again tops the table this season. cheap jerseys . When it comes to clutch hitting, the Marlins flunk too many tests. They batted .127 (8 for 63) with runners in scoring position during a dismal homestand, which is the primary reason the Marlins went 1-8. cheap jerseys us . Hell be wearing a No. 12 jersey, getting used to a new set of teammates and dealing with all those comparisons to a high-profile quarterback.Kevin Koe defeated Kevin Martin by a score of 9-4 in the final of the 2012 Canad Inns Prairie Classic. The rink from Calgary, Alberta received $18,000 in prize money for their victory at the Portage Curling Club in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. Koe scored three in the first and third ends to take a big early lead. "The scoreboard is a little deceiving actually", stated Koe. "Kevin [Martin] just missed his last shot in both ends and all of a sudden we have shots for three". If Martin makes his shots, Koe would have to settle for one point in those ends andd we have a much closer game.dddddddddddd. "[Martins misses] was uncharacteristic for him for sure.", said Koe. Koe beat Manitobas Jeff Stoughton and the two-time defending champion Mike McEwen in the playoffs on their way to the final. Runner-up Martin defeated Ontarios Glenn Howard and Newfoundlands Brad Gushue in the playoffs on his way to the final. Team Martin received $10,000 for their efforts. "This was the toughest field of the year", exclaimed Koe. "This win gives us confidence for the upcoming Brooks and Slam events." ' ' '
|