Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Is Thelma and Louise a lesbian movie?
Topic Started: Jul 20 2013, 12:46 AM (3,545 Views)
Unregistered

I have always wondered if there's some subtext in, it at least to me it's very obvious. How can straight people not pick up on it?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

There's definitively subtext.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

^Yep, subtext, nothing more.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

As lesbian as rizzoli and isles.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jul 20 2013, 12:53 AM
As lesbian as rizzoli and isles.
I don't watch it, what do you mean?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

It doesn't feature a melted dildo so no, it's not.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jul 20 2013, 12:58 AM
It doesn't feature a melted dildo so no, it's not.
I see the kids are off from school :eyeroll:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Yes it is.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Yes. But only because Brad Pitt's in it. Oh the the 66 Thunderbird is gay too.
Quote Post Goto Top

kaia

i think it is.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

No. It was a chick flick buddy movie. Fried Green Tomatoes was. Great 6 month period for Queerish themed mainstream movies though. Thelma & Louise, Basic Instinct, Fried Green Tomatoes. 1991/1992.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

for me it was rather about true friendship..
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jul 20 2013, 08:50 PM
I swear for god I felt something else than a good friendship and I'm not saying it because I'm a lesbian but because it was there
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

it felt like louise was gay for thelma.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

It's one of the best, most feminist movies ever made. So watch it anyway.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jul 20 2013, 09:47 PM
it felt like louise was gay for thelma.
It was mutual.
Louise was just more aware of it.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

No. If you think Thelma and Louise is a lesbian movie (or even lesbian subtext), you're kinda missing the point of the movie.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jul 20 2013, 10:56 PM
No. If you think Thelma and Louise is a lesbian movie (or even lesbian subtext), you're kinda missing the point of the movie.
Not really. The subtext doesn't mess with the point of the movie. They coexist.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jul 20 2013, 11:03 PM
Not really. The subtext doesn't mess with the point of the movie.
It really does, actually.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jul 20 2013, 11:07 PM
Not really. The subtext doesn't mess with the point of the movie.
Not OP, but it doesn't. Love isn't always so straightforward. They kiss at the end of the movie for gods sake. Not saying it was supposed to be a lesbian love story, but they love one another in a complicated way.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jul 20 2013, 09:44 PM
Jul 20 2013, 08:50 PM
I swear for god I felt something else than a good friendship and I'm not saying it because I'm a lesbian but because it was there
i don't deny that :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I think they loved each other, but platonically. If they really hadn't needed men in their lives, and were actually gay, they wouldn't have gotten to the point that they were, which was to be so disappointed and hurt and to feel trapped by them. they both just deeply understood and cared about each other, in a kind of way lovers almost never can.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jul 21 2013, 08:40 AM
Jul 20 2013, 11:07 PM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Not OP, but it doesn't. Love isn't always so straightforward. They kiss at the end of the movie for gods sake. Not saying it was supposed to be a lesbian love story, but they love one another in a complicated way.
i agree, peoples relationships are never black and white
Quote Post Goto Top

ilovelana
Member Avatar

Not really. The subtext doesn't mess with the point of the movie. They coexist.
i agree
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Thelma and Louis started off as a female "bromance", but toward the end of the film they were willing to die for each other. They loved each other, but not in a sexual way.

Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jul 20 2013, 12:46 AM
I have always wondered if there's some subtext in, it at least to me it's very obvious. How can straight people not pick up on it?
Lesbians will always see other women as potentially straight or gay. For many straights, the world is presumptively straight, and they don't consider other possibilities. I think many straight people could see the movie and never think of lesbianism.

Thelma is married, and she also has hot sex with Brad Pitt. Louise has a bf. That pretty much takes care of the orientation issue in straight minds.

A lesbian would probably at least see something which could, in the context of the story, have become something more, but the women have to die. So that's that.

I think it is more of a female version of the male buddy/road movie. Like the older movies, Easy Rider, or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and some more recent ones. I don't recall that there had been a female version of them until this one came along.

And T and L continues the "tradition" of the male buddy/road movie of having the characters killed. In Easy Rider, all 3 of the guys are killed in the movie. In Sundance, we see the pair running out of a building into a hail of bullets, and that's the end.

The movie also lets women have a revenge fantasy - the attempted rapist gets shot; the women pull off a stick up, and they shoot up the truck of a nasty truck driver, etc. No more being a doormat, or men getting away with crappy behavior.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I was just thinking about this movie today. :wub: What a classic.

This and Fried Green Tomatoes. Great movies with feminist intentions.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

No. Never thought of it that way. Never got that vibe.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Sep 16 2013, 09:45 AM
No. Never thought of it that way. Never got that vibe.
It's more of a pro-women movie than a lesbian movie.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jul 21 2013, 01:21 PM
Thelma and Louis started off as a female "bromance", but toward the end of the film they were willing to die for each other. They loved each other, but not in a sexual way.

I agree. (Although it's been years since I last saw the movie, maybe I need to watch it again?) They are clearly very fond of each other, but I didn't really pick up on any sexual attraction between them. I had a school-girl crush on Susan Sarandon as Louise and would have loved for Louise to be a lesbian, but if she had been, I don't think she would have picked someone like Thelma for a girlfriend. I always thought those two had more of a big sister/little sister relationship.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Wake up people. They weren't lesbians. They were just real good friends, nothing more.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jul 20 2013, 12:46 AM
hmm. i never thought of it but make sense now.
Quote Post Goto Top

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply