Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Last Tango in Halifax; UK Comedy Drama
Topic Started: Dec 19 2012, 05:46 PM (129,161 Views)
Unregistered

Anyone watching this?

It stars Derek Jacobi, Ann Reid, Sarah Lancashire and Nicola Walker

Last Tango In Halifax sees Alan and Celia unexpectedly but instantly reignite the feelings they'd had as teenagers when they meet after a gap of 60 years. In this uplifting tale the path of true love is anything but smooth and the pair are surprised to find it's their own families who create some rather bumpy obstacles.

Both widowed, it's Alan and Celia's daughters whose dysfunctional lives bring drama at every turn. Caroline, a career-focused head teacher, is worried that her mum is rushing into things with Alan, but with her adulterous husband John back on the scene having left his alcoholic mistress and with relationship issues of her own she's happy to let things run their course.

Gillian works hard on the family farm as well as in the local supermarket and she's pleased her dad has found a companion. But she's currently having her head turned in the wrong direction whilst also dealing with her dead husband's brother, as he looks to turn her son Raff against her, meaning she has little time to concentrate on her father's love life.

I must admit when I saw the ads I did think this was going to be some twee bollocks but the excellent cast and some of the writing has really surprised me. I think it's one of the better drama offerings from the beeb this year.

It also has a lesbian storyline involving Sarah Lancashire as Caroline the daughter of Celia, who has been having a relationship with one of her teachers Kate. How she has come to terms with her feelings, as a late in life lesbian and the coming out to her teenage son were rather well done and not too cliche ridden for Brit tv. Props to Sarah Lancashire who I've never been that much of a fan, but she's really acted her socks off in this series. She's also a lucky bitch for getting to snog Nina Sosanya who was in Silk and Teachers.

Anyway tonight's the last episode and it looks like Caroline and Kate are going to feature heavily as Celia has found out about them and is not happy. Check it out if you're in the UK or catch up on I player.

It also has Nicola Walker from Spooks in it, unfortunately she is playing a very straight character in this with a terrible taste in men but she is still excellent.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 19 2012, 05:46 PM
Anyone watching this?

Last Tango In Halifax sees Alan and Celia unexpectedly but instantly reignite the feelings they'd had as teenagers when they meet after a gap of 60 years. In this uplifting tale the path of true love is anything but smooth and the pair are surprised to find it's their own families who create some rather bumpy obstacles.

Both widowed, it's Alan and Celia's daughters whose dysfunctional lives bring drama at every turn. Caroline, a career-focused head teacher, is worried that her mum is rushing into things with Alan, but with her adulterous husband John back on the scene having left his alcoholic mistress and with relationship issues of her own she's happy to let things run their course.

Gillian works hard on the family farm as well as in the local supermarket and she's pleased her dad has found a companion. But she's currently having her head turned in the wrong direction whilst also dealing with her dead husband's brother, as he looks to turn her son Raff against her, meaning she has little time to concentrate on her father's love life.

I must admit when I saw the ads I did think this was going to be some twee bollocks but the excellent cast and some of the writing has really surprised me. I think it's one of the better drama offerings from the beeb this year.

It also has a lesbian storyline involving Sarah Lancashire as Caroline the daughter of Celia, who has been having a relationship with one of her teachers Kate. How she has come to terms with her feelings, as a late in life lesbian and the coming out to her teenage son were rather well done and not too cliche ridden for Brit tv. Props to Sarah Lancashire who I've never been that much of a fan, but she's really acted her socks off in this series. She's also a lucky bitch for getting to snog Nina Sosanya who was in Silk and Teachers.

Anyway tonight's the last episode and it looks like Caroline and Kate are going to feature heavily as Celia has found out about them and is not happy. Check it out if you're in the UK or catch up on I player.

It also has Nicola Walker from Spooks in it, unfortunately she is playing a very straight character in this with a terrible taste in men but she is still excellent.
Never heard of it, but if there is a teacher-student thing going on, I`ll watch it- :$
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Watching it and loving it. Caroline and Kate are adorable together, and they have great chemistry. That kiss up against the door in last nights episode was hot.

Celia is being a bitch, I hope she comes around in tonight's episode because I loved her character up to now and this will put me off her. There is going to be a S2, I hope Caroline and Kate end this series a couple so the storyline can be in the next series.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 19 2012, 05:50 PM
Dec 19 2012, 05:46 PM
Anyone watching this?

Never heard of it, but if there is a teacher-student thing going on, I`ll watch it- :$
No :lol: It has a head mistress and teacher thing going on. One is mid 40's and the other is late 30's. They make a good couple though.
Quote Post Goto Top

Loyal
Unregistered

My mum's been watching and seems to love it. She's annoyed we're going out for a family xmas dinner tonight because we won't be back in time to watch it :ermm:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Loyal
Dec 19 2012, 05:53 PM
My mum's been watching and seems to love it. She's annoyed we're going out for a family xmas dinner tonight because we won't be back in time to watch it :ermm:
You wouldn't expect a show about two old people getting together to be good, but it's actually a great show. It's hilarious at times, and all the characters are entertaining, even though most of the grown men in it are dickheads.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 19 2012, 05:51 PM
No :lol: It has a head mistress and teacher thing going on. One is mid 40's and the other is late 30's. They make a good couple though.
Ooops, I misread it. Still, I like British TV shows, I`ll take a look. ;)
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Ah I loved this series, glad to see it was renewed for a 2nd term!

The episode tonight looks good. I really hope Caroline ends up with Kate, and Gillian doesn't end up with John; he's a complete wank bank! All the acting has been fantastic, and the BBC keeps producing very down to earth drama - loving the character driven, quirky British elders, and the scenery. Not so long ago it came out with True Love, which was the same set up as this.

Can't believe it ends tonight!
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Watching it and loving it. Caroline and Kate are adorable together, and they have great chemistry. That kiss up against the door in last nights episode was hot.

Celia is being a bitch, I hope she comes around in tonight's episode because I loved her character up to now and this will put me off her. There is going to be a S2, I hope Caroline and Kate end this series a couple so the storyline can be in the next series.
I've never seen Sarah Lancashire have chemistry with anyone but the kissing last night was surprisingly hot and didn't look awkward.

It looks like Celia's attitude over this is going to cause a rift with Alan. Although she did admit to being a Daily Mail reader earlier in the series so maybe her attitude isn't that surprising.

Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 19 2012, 06:01 PM

I've never seen Sarah Lancashire have chemistry with anyone but the kissing last night was surprisingly hot and didn't look awkward.

It looks like Celia's attitude over this is going to cause a rift with Alan. Although she did admit to being a Daily Mail reader earlier in the series so maybe her attitude isn't that surprising.

I didn't think they'd be quite as hot as they were. That kiss surprised me, they look natural during the kissing/touching scenes. The show needs to continue this storyline into S2.

Celia is also a Tory :eyeroll: so I guess it's not so surprising she's a bigot. Though it was fine for Gillian to have left her husband to die and be shagging half the men in the area. But Caroline having a loving relationship with a nice woman is sickening ^o) I hope Alan being pissed off with her makes her see sense and she apologizes to Caroline and Kate. I have a feeling Lawrence isn't going to be very happy about his mum and Kate either, he looks like he laughs when Celia says something nasty at the dinner table.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 19 2012, 05:55 PM
Loyal
You wouldn't expect a show about two old people getting together to be good, but it's actually a great show. It's hilarious at times, and all the characters are entertaining, even though most of the grown men in it are dickheads.
I have to admit I have a soft spot for Tony Gardner (John) anyone who has seen Fresh Meat (an excellent Uk comedy) knows he excels at playing pathetic twats. He is very funny too.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 19 2012, 06:08 PM
Dec 19 2012, 05:55 PM
Loyal
I have to admit I have a soft spot for Tony Gardner (John) anyone who has seen Fresh Meat (an excellent Uk comedy) knows he excels at playing pathetic twats. He is very funny too.
I knew him from My Parents Are Aliens, he was good in that. All the cast are doing a good job in their parts, and all have good comic delivery.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 19 2012, 05:56 PM
Ah I loved this series, glad to see it was renewed for a 2nd term!

The episode tonight looks good. I really hope Caroline ends up with Kate, and Gillian doesn't end up with John; he's a complete wank bank! All the acting has been fantastic, and the BBC keeps producing very down to earth drama - loving the character driven, quirky British elders, and the scenery. Not so long ago it came out with True Love, which was the same set up as this.
It's great that the BBC and Itv have been trying something different with there drama output lately. Rather than just relying on the endless crime dramas that have seemed to clog up the tv schedules in recent years.

I hope S2 keeps up the same standard of writing and doesn't do a Downton Abbey.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Here are the Caroline and Kate scenes from last night ep 5.

Caroline and Kate
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

"No, she's called Zanzibar buck buck Mcfate, but I call her Kate...it's easier!"

I spit tea out of my mouth at that line. Really enjoyed this series...can't wait for more in the new year. :wub:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Anyone not living in the UK interested in the whole show, it's cute and well written.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 19 2012, 10:05 PM
"No, she's called Zanzibar buck buck Mcfate, but I call her Kate...it's easier!"

I spit tea out of my mouth at that line. Really enjoyed this series...can't wait for more in the new year. :wub:
Caroline got the best lines in tonights episode :P
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 19 2012, 10:20 PM

She really did. I've never been a Sarah Lancashire fan, to the point where I didn't start watching this series until three episodes in, and then it was only because my girlfriend was like, "Seriously, you need to see this!" But now I think I may have little bit of a crush...I wonder if its a teacher thing. :love:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Caroline was brilliant. My heart ached for her when you realised she'd stayed in the closet for years because her mum didn't approve. Then when she cried after Kate broke up with her, and their reunion scene that Celia was watching through the window. They are so cute together, I really hope the show leaves them a couple next series.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 19 2012, 10:39 PM

Caroline was brilliant. My heart ached for her when you realised she'd stayed in the closet for years because her mum didn't approve. Then when she cried after Kate broke up with her, and their reunion scene that Celia was watching through the window. They are so cute together, I really hope the show leaves them a couple next series.
Me too, because Kate is lovely. If she was my teacher, I'd get nothing done!
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 19 2012, 10:46 PM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
The reunion scene was so lovely, very nice since poor Kate had her heartbroken during the dinner - angst!

I'm really pleased with how they handled the lesbian storyline. I thought John was going to get back with Caroline since he seemed to be more of a main character, but now I think they just used him for comic relief.

Cannot wait until they start on the second series (and until someone .gifs the shit out of the scenes!)
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 19 2012, 11:15 PM
Dec 19 2012, 10:46 PM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
The reunion scene was so lovely, very nice since poor Kate had her heartbroken during the dinner - angst!

I'm really pleased with how they handled the lesbian storyline. I thought John was going to get back with Caroline since he seemed to be more of a main character, but now I think they just used him for comic relief.

Cannot wait until they start on the second series (and until someone .gifs the shit out of the scenes!)
I think tonight they ruled out any male interests in S2. Caroline is a lesbian, or bi but leaning way more towards women from what was said. I think they'll keep Kate around and they'll be a couple through S2. They have Gillian, John, Robbie, the boys and maybe Paul and Judith for any romantic ups and downs in the next series.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

That was excellent! I loved the strong POV from everyone. Including Paul! Don't know what Celia's damage is over Caroline having a girlfriend: the woman's a full grown adult with nearly full grown kids, and she is, for all practical purposes, single.

Looking forward to nrxt season :dealer:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I loved the beginning of episode 5, where Caroline basically devoured Kate with her eyes in front of the clueless secretary and then whispered something so saucy in Kate's ear that it had to be left to our imaginations.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I loved this exchange between Alan and Gillian about Celia.

"She reads The Daily Mail, did I tell ya."
"Jesus Dad how long have you known this?"
"I spotted one when I first went over. She say's she only reads it for the telly page but I'm not convinced."

PMSL
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 20 2012, 10:08 AM
I loved the beginning of episode 5, where Caroline basically devoured Kate with her eyes in front of the clueless secretary and then whispered something so saucy in Kate's ear that it had to be left to our imaginations.
Loved the kiss at Caroline's.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Thank you op for starting this thread. I have watched all eps in one night. God bless Iplayer.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 20 2012, 11:10 AM
Thank you op for starting this thread. I have watched all eps in one night. God bless Iplayer.

I couldn't believe that there was a show on British tv with a half decent lesbian storyline and l chat didn't have a thread about it. I just wish I started one earlier.

Anyway loved last nights ep, what an emotional rollercoaster! Looking forward to the 2nd series I hope they can keep the standard up.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 20 2012, 10:39 AM

"I spotted one when I first went over. She say's she only reads it for the telly page but I'm not convinced."

PMSL
:lol:

Not sure how other people feel, but to me, that's proper British humor. Alan was such a wee babe, I was nearly in tears when he was in hospital.

I think in series 2 Caroline and Kate will be the stable, non drama, couple and the focus may shift to Gillian :gaypimp: I called it!
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I thought this was going to be boring as hell when my flatmate switched it on but it ended up being one of the best things I've watched all year on either British or US TV. Who knew Sarah Lancashire could act??? I didn't even think about Curly once.

Last episode seemed to be a bit rushed, what with Celia getting over that whole pesky homophobia/possible racism vibe she was emitting, in the space of 10 minutes, but maybe they'll explore that a bit more in series 2. Anyway, its worth watching if you haven't seen it.
Quote Post Goto Top

Guuest_B
Unregistered

This series is just brilliant all around.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 19 2012, 06:53 PM
Here are the Caroline and Kate scenes from last night ep 5.

Caroline and Kate
Any links to that part with Caroline's mother?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Dec 20 2012, 10:39 AM

PMSL
I know...that was brilliant! I thought Gillian was great as well...

John: "Do you need some help with that?" Pointing to land rover Gillian is working on.
Gillian, looking him up and down: "How likely is that, on a scale of one to ten?"

Awesome! Exactly what I was thinking. :rofl:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I liked the follow up bit to that as well.

Caroline: "Her name's Kate McKenzie"

Celia: "Is she Scottish?"

Caroline: "No, she's Nigerian"

*short silence*

Caroline: "She really is from Nigeria. That wasn't me being sarcastic"

Caroline's delivery during the whole scene was hilarious :rofl:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I thought Kate, Alan and William were three of the most adorable characters to be on TV. You just wanted to cuddle them, while not wanting to shag Kate as well :D
Quote Post Goto Top

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply