Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Who Is Coming Out 2013; Because 2012's over
Topic Started: Dec 19 2012, 01:45 AM (41,240 Views)
Unregistered

Some people say gay men like theater because it's a way of expression, because of internalized feelings. But wouldn't that apply to lesbians too?

I really can't understand what about "acting" makes it so appealing to gay men but not gay women.

You also have to remember that acting doesn't equal only the people you see on Broadway and etc. If most of them are straight women and gay men, you wouldn't have so many straight dudes in Hollywood.

I think there's a possibility that gay males are more accepted in places like these. If they are not too flamboyant and are no Robert Pattinson with a rabid fangirl fanbase, then they'll have an easier time coming out than a feminine lesbian, simply because women's looks are still more exploited. For every "Magic Mike", we've had a hundred SERIOUS movies with or even about hot women. You'll see a few women here and there going "boo" at Matt Bomer being gay, but men get personally offended when a hot woman comes out as a lesbian, to the point of saying "she can't be 100% gay". That's why you don't see male characters being represented with "fluid sexuality".

Gay men are still MEN, so they're more respected. I find it hard to believe that we have two handsome men coming out every month, and yet one feminine lesbian every 10 years. Hell, do we even have any feminine LESBIAN (not Amber Heard, lol) who's at least as famous as Matt Bomer? Not an A-list? It shouldn't be that hard.

Hey, maybe there are more gay men in the Hollywood industry, but it still doesn't mean that we have zero lesbians there. We must have a few...and why do you think they won't come out? It's just harder.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 8 2013, 02:52 AM
Some people say gay men like theater because it's a way of expression, because of internalized feelings. But wouldn't that apply to lesbians too?

I really can't understand what about "acting" makes it so appealing to gay men but not gay women.

You also have to remember that acting doesn't equal only the people you see on Broadway and etc. If most of them are straight women and gay men, you wouldn't have so many straight dudes in Hollywood.

I think there's a possibility that gay males are more accepted in places like these. If they are not too flamboyant and are no Robert Pattinson with a rabid fangirl fanbase, then they'll have an easier time coming out than a feminine lesbian, simply because women's looks are still more exploited. For every "Magic Mike", we've had a hundred SERIOUS movies with or even about hot women. You'll see a few women here and there going "boo" at Matt Bomer being gay, but men get personally offended when a hot woman comes out as a lesbian, to the point of saying "she can't be 100% gay". That's why you don't see male characters being represented with "fluid sexuality".

Gay men are still MEN, so they're more respected. I find it hard to believe that we have two handsome men coming out every month, and yet one feminine lesbian every 10 years. Hell, do we even have any feminine LESBIAN (not Amber Heard, lol) who's at least as famous as Matt Bomer? Not an A-list? It shouldn't be that hard.

Hey, maybe there are more gay men in the Hollywood industry, but it still doesn't mean that we have zero lesbians there. We must have a few...and why do you think they won't come out? It's just harder.

THIS
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I just hate that people think gay men have it easier. Look at Matt Bomer for example, he didn't get a part in a movie and there were articles and people saying it was because he was gay and wouldn't be able to be believable as a straight man. He made a huge risk by coming out. Kudos to him.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Gay men are just more drawn to theatre and acting and dancing, etc. There are professions that attract certain groups of people.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 8 2013, 02:57 AM
I just hate that people think gay men have it easier. Look at Matt Bomer for example, he didn't get a part in a movie and there were articles and people saying it was because he was gay and wouldn't be able to be believable as a straight man. He made a huge risk by coming out. Kudos to him.
No one's saying gay men are "fully accepted".

It's just logic, really. Men have it easier than women. Gay men have it easier than gay women.

I've heard that rumor, but it also pointed out that that specific director was seen as a douche by the majority of people and it was not his first scandal. Matt Bomer still has roles, and is still getting called...he doesn't have it as easy as a straight dude would, but he's not in the refrigerator like a femme lesbian would be.

And, women in general don't get called for main parts. Of the "100 Most Popular Movies of 2011", only eleven had female leads. It's just logical that a LESBIAN would have it even less, and gay men have more parts since that's how it is for men, in general.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 8 2013, 03:04 AM

Gay men are just more drawn to theatre and acting and dancing, etc. There are professions that attract certain groups of people.
Exactly. Just like construction, plumbing, etc. you see more men in those jobs, women could do them if they chose to but they're just not drawn to them like men are.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 8 2013, 03:08 AM

It's just logic, really. Men have it easier than women. Gay men have it easier than gay women.

I've heard that rumor, but it also pointed out that that specific director was seen as a douche by the majority of people and it was not his first scandal. Matt Bomer still has roles, and is still getting called...he doesn't have it as easy as a straight dude would, but he's not in the refrigerator like a femme lesbian would be.

And, women in general don't get called for main parts. Of the "100 Most Popular Movies of 2011", only eleven had female leads. It's just logical that a LESBIAN would have it even less, and gay men have more parts since that's how it is for men, in general.
I agree with this part, but I don't agree that a femme lesbian would be "refrigerated" any more than Matt Bomer has been. Why do you think a femme lesbian would have it harder than him? I think a butch lesbian would have a harder time.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 8 2013, 02:19 AM
Jan 8 2013, 12:45 AM
Jan 8 2013, 12:40 AM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepPosted ImagePosted Image
That looks like Gary's mom on Teen Mom.
Ive never seen Teen Mom lol
EWWWW stop posting that pic!
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 8 2013, 03:11 AM

I agree with this part, but I don't agree that a femme lesbian would be "refrigerated" any more than Matt Bomer has been. Why do you think a femme lesbian would have it harder than him? I think a butch lesbian would have a harder time.
I'm not really comparing femmes to butches. Since we were talking about lesbians having nothing but old "butches" to represent them, the subject just turned to "femmes", since that's what we want to see. I don't think a butch would have it easier.

"Why do you think a femme lesbian would have it harder than him?" > Because people still can't believe that the words lesbian and feminine (or even pretty) go together. And I'm not talking about the "refrigerators" here, just in general. Gay men are assumed to be handsome, that's why some women even joke "He's too good looking, intelligent and cute. Must be gay." ... You'll never see someone saying the same thing about a lesbian. And that's "socially" speaking. For the refrigerator part, a femme lesbian would have it hard because lesbians overall are not good if you want to make money, specially if they're just rising in the industry. The only reason men "accept" lesbians is because they think it's "hot", so if they see an actress being an actual lesbian not a bisexual, they lose interest. Women can be the same, but they're not as radical. Just imagine if Megan Fox were a lesbian in the Transformers era. Haha.
Quote Post Goto Top

ilovelana
Member Avatar

:retard:
did you even read the fucking post
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ilovelana
Member Avatar

:clap:
exactly.

Unregistered

It's obviously harder for women in general in hollywood but it is not easy for gay men. There are no openly gay male "stars". Rupert Everett stopped getting leading man roles when he came out and I highly doubt that has changed. If it was so different then more people would come out.for example, If Tom Cruise really is gay and had come out early in his career would he have got all the big roles and opportunities? No. It is the same with women but there are less roles for women anyway so being gay and a women is a double whammy! Don't see any big female stars coming out any time soon either.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I don't understand why it's so important to you guys that the women who come out look a certain way. If the woman coming out doesn't fit certain gender norms then would you prefer her to stay in?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I think you're just desperate to believe that.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 8 2013, 03:21 AM
Jan 8 2013, 03:11 AM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepAnd, women in general don't get called for main parts. Of the "100 Most Popular Movies of 2011", only eleven had female leads. It's just logical that a LESBIAN would have it even less, and gay men have more parts since that's how it is for men, in general.
I'm not really comparing femmes to butches. Since we were talking about lesbians having nothing but old "butches" to represent them, the subject just turned to "femmes", since that's what we want to see. I don't think a butch would have it easier.

"Why do you think a femme lesbian would have it harder than him?" > Because people still can't believe that the words lesbian and feminine (or even pretty) go together. And I'm not talking about the "refrigerators" here, just in general. Gay men are assumed to be handsome, that's why some women even joke "He's too good looking, intelligent and cute. Must be gay." ... You'll never see someone saying the same thing about a lesbian. And that's "socially" speaking. For the refrigerator part, a femme lesbian would have it hard because lesbians overall are not good if you want to make money, specially if they're just rising in the industry. The only reason men "accept" lesbians is because they think it's "hot", so if they see an actress being an actual lesbian not a bisexual, they lose interest. Women can be the same, but they're not as radical. Just imagine if Megan Fox were a lesbian in the Transformers era. Haha.

x2
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Well said. The "there are just more gay men in Hollywood" troll is full of shit, they've tried this stuff in other threads, too. (Gillian Anderson, Hollywood Closet, a couple of others.) Hollywood gossip has confirmed lesbianism/lesbian activity on the part of MANY female stars of the past. A few brief examples:

Joan Crawford (ravenously bisexual, we had pages about her co-star lovers pre-wipe)
Greta Garbo (of course)
Marlena Dietrich (of course)
Katharine Hepburn (hired over 150 female lovers, per Scotty Bowers's book; Bettie Page told the story of getting licked out by Kate in a "Hollywood Babylon" book)
Barbara Stanwyck and Tallulah Bankhead (interviewed by Boze Hadleigh)
Joann Woodward (marriage to Paul Newman [known for fucking his male co-stars] was a double-beard; they kept separate homes on their compound)
Julie Andrews & Carol Burnett (long-time couple)
Bernadette Peters and Mary Tyler Moore (still "vacation" together, even today)

And lots of others, as the Old Hollywood (or whatever it's called) thread details. None of these girls were out in their prime, either, although some (like Martha Raye) later wrote about their lez encounters in their autobiographies. So what, did Hollywood suddenly run out of lesbians? :rofl:

It's quite simple; as alluded, a woman rarely gets to play anything other than an object of male desire. Look at, for a random example, Django Unchained and its five stars. Four guys, and only Jamie Foxx is playing a part of someone with explicit het desires (and even that is part of his "avenging killer' persona)…the roles played by Christoph Waltz (mentor), Leonardo DiCaprio (villain) and Samuel L. Jackson (villian's companion) are not at all defined by their heterosexuality, and so even if Leo's gayness was an open book, it wouldn't affect his getting the part. (And hell, Jamie Foxx gets to kill a whole lot of people, so his own gay rumors can be readily ignored.)

But Kerry Washington? She's Foxx's quest, his object of desire. If Kerry had come out as a lesbian (supposedly she's at least bi), good luck getting that part. Hooray for Hollywood. :sadangel:

Lincoln? Well, Daniel Day-Lewis is playing the President, so perhaps he wouldn't get that part if he was out as gay. (The "Lincoln liked to cuddle with Captain Donelson" rumors, which made it into a number of respected biographies [including Carl Sandburg's!] are not covered by the movie.) But most of the male actors (Tommy Lee Jones, David Strathairn, Bruce McGill, Jackie Earle Haley, the flamingly-gay Lee Pace) are playing politicians, so sexuality isn't a part of their character, nor is it of James Spader's fixer character or Joseph Gordon-Levitt's as the rebellious son. But the one woman in the film, Sally Field? Heartbroken wife and mother; try getting that part if you're an out lesbian. And so on.

Even in Les Miserables, the theater-crowd favorite, what women's roles are there? Fantine is a sought-after woman, who is reduced to prostitution; Cosette and Eponnine basically exist to compete for Marius's affections. Would Anne Hathaway (Fantine) or Amanda Seyfried (Cosette) have gotten the part if they'd been out about their (much-)alleged love of the ladies? Dubious. Would Eponnine have gone to Taylor Swift or Lea Michele (not that they got the part anyway) if either of them were out? But for male actors, there are multiple roles that don't depend on a woman; Valjean and Javert mostly play against each other; Enjorlas has the queer-readable part of trying to convince Marius to ignore the chicks and concentrate on the revolution. Only Marius is a role that an out gay actor might miss out on. (I'm leaving the Threnardiers out of this analysis.)

Women in film are wives and mothers, virgins and whores. No room for a lesbian, it appears. No wonder Kate and Joann and Julie and so many others stayed in the closet; no wonder Anne and Amanda and whomever else do it today.
Quote Post Goto Top

ilovelana
Member Avatar

Jan 8 2013, 07:07 PM

Well said. The "there are just more gay men in Hollywood" troll is full of shit, they've tried this stuff in other threads, too. (Gillian Anderson, Hollywood Closet, a couple of others.) Hollywood gossip has confirmed lesbianism/lesbian activity on the part of MANY female stars of the past. A few brief examples:

Joan Crawford (ravenously bisexual, we had pages about her co-star lovers pre-wipe)
Greta Garbo (of course)
Marlena Dietrich (of course)
Katharine Hepburn (hired over 150 female lovers, per Scotty Bowers's book; Bettie Page told the story of getting licked out by Kate in a "Hollywood Babylon" book)
Barbara Stanwyck and Tallulah Bankhead (interviewed by Boze Hadleigh)
Joann Woodward (marriage to Paul Newman [known for fucking his male co-stars] was a double-beard; they kept separate homes on their compound)
Julie Andrews & Carol Burnett (long-time couple)
Bernadette Peters and Mary Tyler Moore (still "vacation" together, even today)

And lots of others, as the Old Hollywood (or whatever it's called) thread details. None of these girls were out in their prime, either, although some (like Martha Raye) later wrote about their lez encounters in their autobiographies. So what, did Hollywood suddenly run out of lesbians? :rofl:

It's quite simple; as alluded, a woman rarely gets to play anything other than an object of male desire. Look at, for a random example, Django Unchained and its five stars. Four guys, and only Jamie Foxx is playing a part of someone with explicit het desires (and even that is part of his "avenging killer' persona)…the roles played by Christoph Waltz (mentor), Leonardo DiCaprio (villain) and Samuel L. Jackson (villian's companion) are not at all defined by their heterosexuality, and so even if Leo's gayness was an open book, it wouldn't affect his getting the part. (And hell, Jamie Foxx gets to kill a whole lot of people, so his own gay rumors can be readily ignored.)

But Kerry Washington? She's Foxx's quest, his object of desire. If Kerry had come out as a lesbian (supposedly she's at least bi), good luck getting that part. Hooray for Hollywood. :sadangel:

Lincoln? Well, Daniel Day-Lewis is playing the President, so perhaps he wouldn't get that part if he was out as gay. (The "Lincoln liked to cuddle with Captain Donelson" rumors, which made it into a number of respected biographies [including Carl Sandburg's!] are not covered by the movie.) But most of the male actors (Tommy Lee Jones, David Strathairn, Bruce McGill, Jackie Earle Haley, the flamingly-gay Lee Pace) are playing politicians, so sexuality isn't a part of their character, nor is it of James Spader's fixer character or Joseph Gordon-Levitt's as the rebellious son. But the one woman in the film, Sally Field? Heartbroken wife and mother; try getting that part if you're an out lesbian. And so on.

Even in Les Miserables, the theater-crowd favorite, what women's roles are there? Fantine is a sought-after woman, who is reduced to prostitution; Cosette and Eponnine basically exist to compete for Marius's affections. Would Anne Hathaway (Fantine) or Amanda Seyfried (Cosette) have gotten the part if they'd been out about their (much-)alleged love of the ladies? Dubious. Would Eponnine have gone to Taylor Swift or Lea Michele (not that they got the part anyway) if either of them were out? But for male actors, there are multiple roles that don't depend on a woman; Valjean and Javert mostly play against each other; Enjorlas has the queer-readable part of trying to convince Marius to ignore the chicks and concentrate on the revolution. Only Marius is a role that an out gay actor might miss out on. (I'm leaving the Threnardiers out of this analysis.)

Women in film are wives and mothers, virgins and whores. No room for a lesbian, it appears. No wonder Kate and Joann and Julie and so many others stayed in the closet; no wonder Anne and Amanda and whomever else do it today.
Thankyou! You articulated this way better than how I've been trying to haha.
:clap: :clap:

Unregistered

Holding my breath for King Latifah.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I'd love for Lohan to come out coz to me she just seems very ashamed, closeted and desperately unhappy. I used to join in with the bashing but now it's just sad :-/

K Moennig is long overdue to come out, full interview and all so 2013 may be her year B-)
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

KM is so irrelevant though.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Coming out is irrelevant period. It's the dumbest thing ever. Why is it people are obsessed with "coming out"? Seriously, I don't get it at all. If *Queen Latifah, *Kate Moennig, & *Jodie Foster "came out" on CNN tomorrow how is this going to affect my life? It's not.
Who others fuck or don't fuck is irrelevant. Sexuality is not who a person is.

*names used bc their sexuality has been the most controversial on tlc
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 8 2013, 08:20 PM
Coming out is irrelevant period. It's the dumbest thing ever. Why is it people are obsessed with "coming out"? Seriously, I don't get it at all. If *Queen Latifah, *Kate Moennig, & *Jodie Foster "came out" on CNN tomorrow how is this going to affect my life? It's not.

Are you really this apathetic?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 8 2013, 08:22 PM

If you want to call it being apathetic then yes I seriously am. You can live a very fulfilled & happy life without having to announce details of your personal life to complete strangers. Live your life. Heterosexuals do it every day too. They don't have to have an official "straight day". I know my opinion is only that..but it's mine & I also realize it's not a favorable opinion. I'm ok with this.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jessica Chastain

but not as a lesbian, as "bi" to play it safer
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 8 2013, 08:27 PM

If you want to call it being apathetic then yes I seriously am. You can live a very fulfilled & happy life without having to announce details of your personal life to complete strangers. Live your life. Heterosexuals do it every day too. They don't have to have an official "straight day". I know my opinion is only that..but it's mine & I also realize it's not a favorable opinion. I'm ok with this.
:retard: :retard: :retard: :retard:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

ilovelana
Jan 8 2013, 10:56 AM

:retard:
did you even read the fucking post
I did, and I don't fucking agree with it. I think you are desperate to have Hollywood actresses be lesbian for some reason, and it's weird. We don't need them. It's not one person who has been saying that gay men are more plentiful in theatre, it's common fucking knowledge that that is the case.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 8 2013, 08:05 PM
Holding my breath for King Latifah.
I actually hope she comes out. I like her
I saw a photo of her trainer girlfriend and she's hot as hell. Queen is dumb for letting that go if so
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 9 2013, 03:52 AM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
You may disagree with the op but at least they formed coherent sentences in english and added to the discussion.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 9 2013, 04:05 AM

You may disagree with the op but at least they formed coherent sentences in english and added to the discussion.
Somebody who says:

They don't have to have an official "straight day"

Is NOT adding to the discussion. Are you even gay? Because it doesn't sound like it.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

We are a minority. We have to deal with that. And the fact that actors, male and female have remained in the past closeted, means something... Because nowadays they still do. Even marrying the opposite sex ala Travolta. It doesnt matter how many women/men are closeted in the biz. What speak volumes is that they remain in it in this 21st century
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 9 2013, 04:13 AM

Somebody who says:

Is NOT adding to the discussion. Are you even gay? Because it doesn't sound like it.
I am not the op and the line are you even gay is about as old as are you a male troll thrown about only because people do not like other people's opinions. :eyeroll:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 9 2013, 04:19 AM

Somebody who says:

I am not the op and the line are you even gay is about as old as are you a male troll thrown about only because people do not like other people's opinions. :eyeroll:
I can't even talk to you because you are retarded. Anybody who says things like "they don't have a straight pride day" knows nothing about being gay.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 9 2013, 04:29 AM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepThey don't have to have an official "straight day"

I can't even talk to you because you are retarded. Anybody who says things like "they don't have a straight pride day" knows nothing about being gay.
wth
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepThey don't have to have an official "straight day"

Wow really? You call her retarded when you literally just typed one of the dumbest statements I've read on the L Chat, and that's saying a lot! Apparently YOU are the one who knows nothing about being gay, being gay is simply being attracted to the same sex, whether you choose to be out and proud or closeted and indifferent is up to you, but doesn't make anyone "less gay." :crazy:

I'm neither of the OP's btw, just felt the need to address that ignorant statement.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 9 2013, 04:38 AM

Wow really? You call her retarded when you literally just typed one of the dumbest statements I've read on the L Chat, and that's saying a lot! Apparently YOU are the one who knows nothing about being gay, being gay is simply being attracted to the same sex, whether you choose to be out and proud or closeted and indifferent is up to you, but doesn't make anyone "less gay." :crazy:

I'm neither of the OP's btw, just felt the need to address that ignorant statement.
My statement was not ignorant, you are just fucking stupid. Straight people say ll the time, "Why do they need a gay pride parade? We don't have a straight pride parade" That is what I'm referring to. I don't care if people want to be in or out of the closet, I'm talking about this ridiculous self centered point of view that straight people have. Get it? THAT is something I'd never want to hear from a gay person, because that would be sad.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply