Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Nancy McKeon & Lisa "ping" Whelchel /Facts Of Life; She SOOOOOO let us know we're gay!
Topic Started: Jul 19 2012, 06:29 AM (411,546 Views)
Unregistered

Oct 3 2012, 04:37 AM
What's going on with Survivor? Is she praying or what?
No praying yet but last week's episode she cried and talked about how much of an introvert she is and how she doesn't fit in. She's isolated herself and often walks off to be alone.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 3 2012, 04:51 AM
No praying yet but last week's episode she cried and talked about how much of an introvert she is and how she doesn't fit in. She's isolated herself and often walks off to be alone.
Aww, that's sad. :( I haven't been watching the show because I can't stand it but I have a feeling she won't be on for very much longer. I hope I'm wrong. Not op, btw.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

is it true Lisa Welchel is a christian or some fucked up shit like that these days?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 3 2012, 12:15 PM
is it true Lisa Welchel is a christian or some fucked up shit like that these days?
She's always been a very devout christian. Keep up.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 3 2012, 04:51 AM
Awww, it sucks being introverted when you need to be social. She did this show less than 2 weeks after her divorce was finalized. Aside from being an introvert, I can't imagine all the crap that was going through her head given that she was married for almost 25 years. No matter how gay her ex husband outwardly appears or how religious she is, that's still a huge deal.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

As sad as it was when I heard Lisa got a Divorce.. I was grinning from ear to ear. Finally Lisa & Nancy can be together. I always believed that they were each other's first Love.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 7 2012, 12:00 AM
As sad as it was when I heard Lisa got a Divorce.. I was grinning from ear to ear. Finally Lisa & Nancy can be together. I always believed that they were each other's first Love.
first love doesn't mean true love ^o)
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I don't like Nancy McKeon. I think she has a chip on her shoulders. I saw a biography of her on A&E and she didn't come off very pleasant. She was the reason why the Facts of Life reunion never happened. One of those actresses who resent that they've typecast by a very popular show and pretend the show never existed. Lisa was in the bio and she was sweet. She said she understood.

There's another thing that bugs me. I think Nancy is a wingnut. When she was pregnant, she said that she never wants to raise her children in Hollywood. So she and her husband have this farm in some red state. She's very much into God. She's a devout Catholic. All that is fine and good, but it's the way she presented herself in the bio.

While Lisa is also religious, I don't think she's judgmental. I think Nancy McKeon is judgmental. I seriously doubt she appreciates being thought of as a lesbian.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 3 2012, 12:36 PM
She is but she's one of those hate the sin but not the sinner. I think she seems pretty sweet. The boys over at DL like her. They make fun of her naive, frau-ish tweets, but the majority think well of her.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 7 2012, 05:55 AM
She is but she's one of those hate the sin but not the sinner. I think she seems pretty sweet. The boys over at DL like her. They make fun of her naive, frau-ish tweets, but the majority think well of her.
Yah, talk about a little sugar with your cruelty. It's funny after someone says that to you and you reply with "hate the Christianity but not the Christian", it doesn't go over well. I have a family member that's evangelical like that. It's a barrel of sweetness, lemme tell ya.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 7 2012, 05:54 AM
I don't like Nancy McKeon. I think she has a chip on her shoulders. I saw a biography of her on A&E and she didn't come off very pleasant. She was the reason why the Facts of Life reunion never happened. One of those actresses who resent that they've typecast by a very popular show and pretend the show never existed. Lisa was in the bio and she was sweet. She said she understood.

There's another thing that bugs me. I think Nancy is a wingnut. When she was pregnant, she said that she never wants to raise her children in Hollywood. So she and her husband have this farm in some red state. She's very much into God. She's a devout Catholic. All that is fine and good, but it's the way she presented herself in the bio.

While Lisa is also religious, I don't think she's judgmental. I think Nancy McKeon is judgmental. I seriously doubt she appreciates being thought of as a lesbian.
She just doesnt want to be thought of as gay I guess.
But there is no denying that Jo and Blair or Nancy and Lisa were in love with one another at some point in time.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 7 2012, 05:48 PM

But there is no denying that Jo and Blair or Nancy and Lisa were in love with one another at some point in time.
I was watching FoL reruns on the Hub, and man do Jo and Blair come across as a lovingly cranky old married couple. It's such specific chemistry of two people who have been together for a damn long time, but the hell out of each other, but still love each other, and not in a platonic way, but in a, I'll die without you, let's go make love kind of way. I really, really wonder what the writers were thinking. Were people really just that clueless about lesbians/gay romance back in the day that no one batted an eye with that kind of chemistry hitting them in the face? Was it all Nancy and Lisa's real life relationship spilling on to the screen? I mean, Tootie and Natalie were besties, but I never got gay vibes from them. It's just too blatant to be unintentional.

I was watching episodes from the later seasons where Blair has this boyfriend Cliff, with whom she can't make any commitment until she feels pushed into it. How convenient!
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 7 2012, 06:07 PM

I was watching FoL reruns on the Hub, and man do Jo and Blair come across as a lovingly cranky old married couple. It's such specific chemistry of two people who have been together for a damn long time, but the hell out of each other, but still love each other, and not in a platonic way, but in a, I'll die without you, let's go make love kind of way. I really, really wonder what the writers were thinking. Were people really just that clueless about lesbians/gay romance back in the day that no one batted an eye with that kind of chemistry hitting them in the face? Was it all Nancy and Lisa's real life relationship spilling on to the screen? I mean, Tootie and Natalie were besties, but I never got gay vibes from them. It's just too blatant to be unintentional.

I was watching episodes from the later seasons where Blair has this boyfriend Cliff, with whom she can't make any commitment until she feels pushed into it. How convenient!
I thought it when i was young and now when i look at the show i think, how in the hell are they NOT together?
I mean they look at each other and it's like they are thinking: How can I get as close to her as possible without touching her? And that never changed through the entire series.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I wonder if Mindy and Kim would spill the details?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QboQoDFAWZg&feature=relmfu

the 4:00 minute mark is swoon worthy. :wub:
Quote Post Goto Top

rumNcoke

Oct 7 2012, 08:37 AM
Oct 7 2012, 05:55 AM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Yah, talk about a little sugar with your cruelty. It's funny after someone says that to you and you reply with "hate the Christianity but not the Christian", it doesn't go over well. I have a family member that's evangelical like that. It's a barrel of sweetness, lemme tell ya.
Hmm. I'd think it's totally the opposite: "I hate the Christian but not Christianity".
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

rumNcoke

Oct 7 2012, 08:33 PM

My GOD, JO'S HAIR. Yeah, ok, I was kinda there in that time for a bit, too. Scary.

Unregistered

You sound like the one with the chip on your shoulder. You're judging someone just because they're religious? Lots of religious people are also gay. There are openly gay clergy. Being gay and being religious are exclusionary. You can be religious and not judge gay people.

The FOL reunion show did happen, Nancy just wasn't in it. She was doing The Division at the time and thought it would have been a bad career move to do the FOL movie at the same time (which the way things work in Hollywood is totally accurate).

I saw the bio, so she didn't want to raise her kids in Hollywood. LOTS of actors do that and she and her husband were already living in LA and Texas, they just left their place in LA.

As for Lisa, yes she seems sweet, but she also belongs to a church that is very homophobic (I know that church well bc I still have family members who belong there) and has said some very homophobic things in the past because she believed you could pray away the gay basically. She seems to have lightened up on that thankfully, maybe because she's older and wiser.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 7 2012, 06:07 PM

I watch the episodes now too and I think it's just Nancy and Lisa. Some people just have great chemistry onscreen and they had it from their first scene together. And yeah they totally had that "old married couple" vibe about them. They would fight with each other but then do really sweet things for each other. The lines are the the lines, but the chemistry was 100% them and if the show was written for today, they'd be the lesbian couple lol.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 7 2012, 08:33 PM

I hated Rick with a passion lol. He was beyond annoying and I hated that he was the guy they had Jo marry. All of their boyfriends sucked on that show.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 8 2012, 03:57 AM
You sound like the one with the chip on your shoulder. You're judging someone just because they're religious? Lots of religious people are also gay. There are openly gay clergy. Being gay and being religious are exclusionary. You can be religious and not judge gay people.

The FOL reunion show did happen, Nancy just wasn't in it. She was doing The Division at the time and thought it would have been a bad career move to do the FOL movie at the same time (which the way things work in Hollywood is totally accurate).

I saw the bio, so she didn't want to raise her kids in Hollywood. LOTS of actors do that and she and her husband were already living in LA and Texas, they just left their place in LA.

As for Lisa, yes she seems sweet, but she also belongs to a church that is very homophobic (I know that church well bc I still have family members who belong there) and has said some very homophobic things in the past because she believed you could pray away the gay basically. She seems to have lightened up on that thankfully, maybe because she's older and wiser.
No. I don't have a chip on my shoulder as I really was never a fan of Facts of Life (way too young). I watched it but never a fan. I came across the A&E Bio while channel surfing. There was certainly something about Nancy McKeon in that documentary that was off-putting. The only other cast member I felt that way about was Mrs. Garrett. Something about Mrs. Garrett (the actress) was a bit off. The actress who played the woman with cerebral palsy said that Charlotte Rae wasn't very nice to her. Anyways, back to Nancy. She really did come across as having a chip on her shoulders and it has nothing to do with her religion. I think she is resentful that she's been typecasted.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 8 2012, 04:12 AM

No. I don't have a chip on my shoulder as I really was never a fan of Facts of Life (way too young). I watched it but never a fan. I came across the A&E Bio while channel surfing. There was certainly something about Nancy McKeon in that documentary that was off-putting. The only other cast member I felt that way about was Mrs. Garrett. Something about Mrs. Garrett (the actress) was a bit off. The actress who played the woman with cerebral palsy said that Charlotte Rae wasn't very nice to her. Anyways, back to Nancy. She really did come across as having a chip on her shoulders and it has nothing to do with her religion. I think she is resentful that she's been typecasted.
Nancy wasn't type cast. Of the 4 FOL "girls," she's the only one that consistently acted after the show was off the air and the majority the characters she played were nothing like Jo. All you have to do is look at her bio. I loved her on the Division (even though she was the somewhat slutty alcoholic cop lol). From what I can tell, Nancy was never a fan of "Hollywood" she just liked to act, so she seems very careful with her words. I was shocked there was even a Biography about her because she's was never big on giving interviews. When the Division was on the air, it was always easier to find interviews from the other cast members.

I think it's nice that Lisa and Nancy are still close friends after such a long time. It's been over 30 years and Lisa says she trusts Nancy more than anyone, so whatever bond they established a long time ago, it's obviously still there.
Quote Post Goto Top

rumNcoke

Oct 8 2012, 04:12 AM

Totes agree on Nancy having a chip on her shoulder regarding FOL.

And what I always heard was "Mrs Garrett" was always drinking, even on set.

Unregistered

I knew that Blair Warner / Lisa Whelchel was not a hater. On FB this is what she wrote herself regarding that accusation.

Lisa Whelchel:Thank you so much for asking me directly. Sadly, so many people simply equate the word "Christian" with "anti-gay." Here's the backstory. Ten years ago, I answered a question in a Christian magazine and referred to Exodus International. Over eight years ago, I removed that response from my website with the explanation, "this is too complicated an issue to attempt to answer in a magazine column." Personally, I am a supporter of people. Period. Regardless, of sexual orientation. (Case in point: Coby...some of my "besties" are gay. :) xoxoxo
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 10 2012, 06:31 PM
I knew that Blair Warner / Lisa Whelchel was not a hater. On FB this is what she wrote herself regarding that accusation.

Lisa Whelchel:Thank you so much for asking me directly. Sadly, so many people simply equate the word "Christian" with "anti-gay." Here's the backstory. Ten years ago, I answered a question in a Christian magazine and referred to Exodus International. Over eight years ago, I removed that response from my website with the explanation, "this is too complicated an issue to attempt to answer in a magazine column." Personally, I am a supporter of people. Period. Regardless, of sexual orientation. (Case in point: Coby...some of my "besties" are gay. :) xoxoxo
She lived with the woman who played her cousin Geri on the show for a year and she's a lesbian, so I don't see how anyone would think that Lisa hates gay people. It is complicated. It's not that she's Christian that gets her a bad rap, it's that she belongs to a fundamentalist church that basically believes you can cure gay people with prayer etc.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I've gotten really into watching FoL repeats on The Hub. It's surprising to me just how many random gay references there are on this show. Nothing super overt, you kind of have to listen for them, but still, they're there. It has me convinced that the writers weren't completely naive (about the Jo and Blair chemistry/relationship).
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 11 2012, 02:00 AM
I've gotten really into watching FoL repeats on The Hub. It's surprising to me just how many random gay references there are on this show. Nothing super overt, you kind of have to listen for them, but still, they're there. It has me convinced that the writers weren't completely naive (about the Jo and Blair chemistry/relationship).
I agree with you, I don't think the writers were clueless. I think that it was the 80s and they knew what they could and couldn't do. They treated Jo and Blair a lot like an old married couple with the writing, it worked because Lisa and Nancy had great chemistry, and whatever subtext there was easily went under the radar back then. They basically just gave them an intense friendship where they fought all the time but when they needed each other, you always saw how much they loved each other. They also smartly kept Jo supplied with a steady stream of boyfriends. Think about it? Jo had more serious relationships on the show than anyone else and she was the first to get married.

Today though? Can you imagine Jo on TV? She would be labeled a lesbian pretty immediately and there would probably tons of fangirls wanting Jo and Blair to be a couple lol.

Still for me when I watch the show, Cindy was a tomboy, but Jo, she comes across as pretty gay lol.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Totally agree with the subtext thing. There are episodes where some of the language that they say to each other is just really pinging. Blair looks into Jo's eyes and says (talking about Cliff) "He has the most beautiful Male eyes" Who says "Male eyes"??? You would say he has the most beautiful eyes. As soon as Blair said it Jo had a big smile on her face while walking away. To me it felt like she was saying under it all "Jo you have the most beautiful eyes of all" but Cliff's aren't bad for a guy. So many lines like this....so many.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 11 2012, 08:12 PM
Totally agree with the subtext thing. There are episodes where some of the language that they say to each other is just really pinging. Blair looks into Jo's eyes and says (talking about Cliff) "He has the most beautiful Male eyes" Who says "Male eyes"??? You would say he has the most beautiful eyes. As soon as Blair said it Jo had a big smile on her face while walking away. To me it felt like she was saying under it all "Jo you have the most beautiful eyes of all" but Cliff's aren't bad for a guy. So many lines like this....so many.
Huh? Really? I don't remember this at all. Now I'm going to have to try and find the episode. I guess I'm going to be on a subtext hunt now :lol:
Quote Post Goto Top

rumNcoke

Oct 12 2012, 01:15 AM
Huh? Really? I don't remember this at all. Now I'm going to have to try and find the episode. I guess I'm going to be on a subtext hunt now :lol:
LOL. I'm not sure I agree with this assessment of the scene. I'm guessing the word "male" was added to add a bit of masculinity to the comment of his eyes being "beautiful". That's just my opinion and who knows, I could be wrong and there was subtext in the vein of Xena and Gabrielle :wub:

And Survivor... is Lisa sliding under the radar or what? Is she even on the show?? :P

Unregistered

^Honestly if Lisa was just another contestant and wasn't recognizable to the viewing audience, she wouldn't stand out at all. It's early though and she has already established herself as a good puzzle solver, a skill a lot of the ditsy younger ones do not possess.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

rumNcoke
Oct 12 2012, 06:09 AM
Oct 12 2012, 01:15 AM
LOL. I'm not sure I agree with this assessment of the scene. I'm guessing the word "male" was added to add a bit of masculinity to the comment of his eyes being "beautiful". That's just my opinion and who knows, I could be wrong and there was subtext in the vein of Xena and Gabrielle :wub:

And Survivor... is Lisa sliding under the radar or what? Is she even on the show?? :P
who says "male" eyes? :lol: Honestly, that's just weird lol. If a girl likes a guy's eyes, she just says he was beautiful eyes or something. If it did actually happen (I don't know because I haven't seen it), it would make me go :blink:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

The episode with the male eyes comment, I think is in season 5 when the Hollywood star comes to Langley College. Blair tells Cliff she doesn't want to go steady with him and he goes on a dinner date with the star. I still say that it's really weird to say "male eyes". Blair turns her head to Jo just when she says it and Jo walks away smiling from ear to ear.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 13 2012, 05:01 PM
The episode with the male eyes comment, I think is in season 5 when the Hollywood star comes to Langley College. Blair tells Cliff she doesn't want to go steady with him and he goes on a dinner date with the star. I still say that it's really weird to say "male eyes". Blair turns her head to Jo just when she says it and Jo walks away smiling from ear to ear.
What I can determine from that is that either the subtext was intended in the script ("Jo grins") or Nancy was being gay out of turn
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Oct 13 2012, 05:01 PM
Ok I just saw this. I had to find it on youtube because the idea of someone saying "male eyes" just sounded funny. The male eyes comment is weird. Seriously, who says that? I've never heard anyone say that before. Who does she think has the best "female eyes?" lol

As for Jo's response, I didn't see anything other than Jo being Jo. It was like an "oh really?" smile but Jo is a smartass lol. She does tell Blair to basically go and "fight for her man."

They've had some really gay moments (e.g., the way they looked when singing to each other in that Cruisin episode) but I didn't see it in the "male eyes" scene.

Can I say how much I love Jami Gertz? She is so funny :lol:
Quote Post Goto Top

3 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply