Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
A gay Disney Princess; Can you imagine?
Topic Started: Jun 27 2012, 10:47 PM (6,033 Views)
Unregistered

Do you think this will ever happen within this century?

It'd be really cool to see a princess grow up to marry her princess. It'd be hilarious. I can just imagine the christian right; "gay propaganda!! indoctrinating the children with gay agenda!!"
Someone from my generation should make an indie gay princess movie.

I was just reading an article about how some people think Merida from Brave could be gay
(which apparently everyone on ONTD is SOO offended by. Pssh no one is saying if you fit those stereotypes you have to be gay, just that Merida is the first one who fits them AND she doesn't show any interest in boys, like the other tomboy princesses do, so it's cool that she could be. Don't see how that's so offensive)
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Never going to happen. I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this before.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

The closest we've come so far was that one Disney Original Movie: Princess Protection Program.
An actual out right gay Disney Princess is no where near this decade.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jun 27 2012, 10:48 PM
I think it'll happen eventually. Just not in our lifetime. But I do think that when gay relationships become normal all over the country and accepted in the future (which will happen, just no tin our lifetime) a gay disney princess movie will be made. It's just everything coming full circle.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I don't know. Aren't all Disney films set in the middle ages or thereabouts?

They weren't very keen on gays then.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Gay and Disney don't go together, friend.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Gay and Disney don't go together, friend.

It does. Disney is very gay friendly. They're just not officially "out" about it. Anyway, no thanks. The Princess would probably look more like a Prince, so I'd rather not.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

"Do you think this will ever happen within this century?"

-No, not at the current time. In the future? Yes, most definitely.

@ the poster above who wrote "Someone from my generation should make an indie gay princess movie."

-Yes, I agree and hope someone with the know-how would. That would be very awesome. To make a social change/difference in a society people must constantly put ideas out there and make stuff happen to the best of ones abilities and making that indie from an idea into a real-life thing would do good for that change to occur and help it along.

Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Barbie already did it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jun 27 2012, 10:48 PM
it might happen in another 100 years. when we're all DEAD
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jun 27 2012, 11:01 PM
Barbie already did it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
what is this shiz?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

This forum needs to be 18 plus. ^o)
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jun 27 2012, 11:09 PM
Spoiler: click to toggle
what is this shiz?
A Barbie movie. :lol:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jun 27 2012, 11:13 PM
what is this shiz?
I know, but I suppose it's a normal barbie movie someone made up subtext for?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jun 27 2012, 11:14 PM
Jun 27 2012, 11:13 PM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
I know, but I suppose it's a normal barbie movie someone made up subtext for?
They're not manips or anything, just well-chosen screenshots. But tbh I'm pretty sure whoever made that movie knew what they were doing. A few more shots here:
http://lchan.org/rezu/res/891.shtml

And it's obviously not lesbian in maintext, it's supposed to be about ~friendship~
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Mulan is really close.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jun 27 2012, 11:31 PM
Mulan is really close.
how so?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Mulan is really close.
Mulan apparently romances one of the boys, or has a crush. Brave is actually the closest...
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jun 27 2012, 10:47 PM

It'd be really cool to see a princess grow up to marry her princess. It'd be hilarious. I can just imagine the christian right; "gay propaganda!! indoctrinating the children with gay agenda!!"

I was just reading an article about how some people think Merida from Brave could be gay
(which apparently everyone on ONTD is SOO offended by. Pssh no one is saying if you fit those stereotypes you have to be gay, just that Merida is the first one who fits them AND she doesn't show any interest in boys, like the other tomboy princesses do, so it's cool that she could be. Don't see how that's so offensive)
I read that article about Merida from Brave possibly being gay, and even I was offended. It's deeply stupid to assume that a girl who doesn't want a boyfriend or to get married and who runs around and doesn't like dresses is gay. It's putting women into narrow groups and assuming anything that isn't "feminine" (weak, girly, subservient) must be different in ALL respects. If Merida was intended to be gay, cool. But implying that - or asking if - she is gay simply because she fits into some dumb, totally outdated stereotype is insulting to women, gay people, and gay women.

Just my $0.02.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jun 27 2012, 11:32 PM
Mulan is really close.
Mulan apparently romances one of the boys, or has a crush. Brave is actually the closest...
Mulan, dressed as a male soldier, had a thing for fellow soldier Shang, who was a guy. Shang also had a thing for Mulan...when she was dressed up as a guy. If anyone in that scenario is gay, it's Shang. :lol:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jun 27 2012, 10:51 PM
The closest we've come so far was that one Disney Original Movie: Princess Protection Program.
An actual out right gay Disney Princess is no where near this decade.
True lol. That's as close as it will get.

OT but there is a flaming gay boy on that Shake It Up show. I was actually pretty surprised when I was watching it with my sister lol.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

mintyfresh
Jun 27 2012, 11:33 PM

I read that article about Merida from Brave possibly being gay, and even I was offended. It's deeply stupid to assume that a girl who doesn't want a boyfriend or to get married and who runs around and doesn't like dresses is gay. It's putting women into narrow groups and assuming anything that isn't "feminine" (weak, girly, subservient) must be different in ALL respects. If Merida was intended to be gay, cool. But implying that - or asking if - she is gay simply because she fits into some dumb, totally outdated stereotype is insulting to women, gay people, and gay women.

Just my $0.02.
x2

Honestly, puberty would have been easier if there wasn't this massive assumption that ALL girls must fit into a narrow stereotypical category once they hit puberty.

Girls are given freedom to be tomboys when we're young but once we hit puberty, if we're not stereotypical we must be deviant in someway. It's ridiculous.

Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jun 27 2012, 11:44 PM
mintyfresh

Just my $0.02.
x2

Honestly, puberty would have been easier if there wasn't this massive assumption that ALL girls must fit into a narrow stereotypical category once they hit puberty.

Girls are given freedom to be tomboys when we're young but once we hit puberty, if we're not stereotypical we must be deviant in someway. It's ridiculous.

Thanks for agreeing - after I clicked Post Reply I wondered if my post would be misinterpreted as being against the idea of Merida being gay. Not at all - if she were written as gay, woo-hoo! But she wasn't, and all people are doing is speculating based on some dumb stereotypes.

You're totally right that little girls who are tomboys are considered okay, but teen girls who are tomboys are considered a) weird, b) gay, c) rebelling against something, or whatever. It IS ridiculous.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

mintyfresh

Just my $0.02.
I never read the full article, just the ontd post and the comments. It annoyed me how offended all the ontd comments were. I'm half way through the second page of comments and finally someone has pointed this out and now a discussion is being had. We don't need to rehash the discussion here. I just think the comments were a little over the top.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Lets write a story for Disney!

setting: a small island of the coast of Greece

Main Character: Princess Areola

Plot: The princess has been taken from her homeland and it is left up to her friend to get her back.

I will need some help with this story. What do you think so far?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jun 27 2012, 11:53 PM
Lets write a story for Disney!

setting: a small island of the coast of Greece

Main Character: Princess Areola

Plot: The princess has been taken from her homeland and it is left up to her friend to get her back.

I will need some help with this story. What do you think so far?
lmao

Her friend Princess Vulvina has to dress as a boy to save her and pretend to be her boyfriend. In doing so they must kiss, and this makes them realize they love each other. Neither are butch though, so when they get married, they both wear huge frilly princess dresses.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jun 27 2012, 11:51 PM
mintyfresh

Just my $0.02.
I never read the full article, just the ontd post and the comments. It annoyed me how offended all the ontd comments were. I'm half way through the second page of comments and finally someone has pointed this out and now a discussion is being had. We don't need to rehash the discussion here. I just think the comments were a little over the top.
Well, it's ONTD... the only place on the Internet full of even more rabid pitbulls than TLC. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

mintyfresh
Jun 28 2012, 12:11 AM
Jun 27 2012, 11:51 PM
mintyfresh

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Well, it's ONTD... the only place on the Internet full of even more rabid pitbulls than TLC. :)
meh... i think ontd is generally reasonable. not nearly as bad as l chat.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I'd love the idea but we need to be realistic - there hasn't even been a gay FRIEND of a disney princess yet.

I think the best we'd ever get is the sibling or best friend of a princess being gay (hopefully a female best friend) and either the gay friend is the side-kick helps her or the princess helps the friend along the way reach happiness.

Brave didn't have a lot of gay vibes to me. Mulan wasn't at all gay or even subtexty because she was never around a female character and never said 'no' to a guy. She ended up with that general.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

mintyfresh
Jun 27 2012, 11:34 PM
Jun 27 2012, 11:32 PM
Mulan is really close.
Mulan, dressed as a male soldier, had a thing for fellow soldier Shang, who was a guy. Shang also had a thing for Mulan...when she was dressed up as a guy. If anyone in that scenario is gay, it's Shang. :lol:
For real. That was crazy messages Disney was sending out with that movie.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

The first black Disney princess appeared approx 50 years after African Americans had full rights in the entire country. So... the first lesbian princess might be 50 years after federal/universal same-sex marriage... 80 years or so? :-/
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jun 28 2012, 01:02 AM
The first black Disney princess appeared approx 50 years after African Americans had full rights in the entire country. So... the first lesbian princess might be 50 years after federal/universal same-sex marriage... 80 years or so? :-/
Yeah, hmm hopefully more like 70.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jun 28 2012, 12:31 AM
I'd love the idea but we need to be realistic - there hasn't even been a gay FRIEND of a disney princess yet.

I think the best we'd ever get is the sibling or best friend of a princess being gay (hopefully a female best friend) and either the gay friend is the side-kick helps her or the princess helps the friend along the way reach happiness.

Brave didn't have a lot of gay vibes to me. Mulan wasn't at all gay or even subtexty because she was never around a female character and never said 'no' to a guy. She ended up with that general.
I agree that a gay friend is the most likely next step. I don't think it is that Disney doesn't want a gay princess the problem is mostly financial. Animated movies are expensive as fuck to make so they have to make back serious bank. Add in that a big chunk the audience doesn't get to chose the movie themselves but rather are at the mercy of their parents' decision making and it's not going to happen.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Also she was a frog during most of the movie

Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jun 28 2012, 01:17 AM
Also she was a frog during most of the movie

True. :facepalm:

I could live with that though.

Hell, I could live with a lesbian sidekick or even just a subtexty princess movie.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply