Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Thick, coarse, wiry hair (ON SCALP); what is this :(
Topic Started: Mar 13 2012, 08:22 PM (27,413 Views)
Unregistered

i have these random hairs that have a really strange texture id dare say they look like pubic hair...
much thicker than the rest of my hair- coarse and wiry
im starting to find more and more of those and developing the habit of pulling them out
did anyone experienced this? know what is it?
im really frustrated by it and any help would be appreciated :'(
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Mar 13 2012, 08:22 PM
i have these random hairs that have a really strange texture id dare say they look like pubic hair...
im starting to find more and more of those and developing the habit of pulling them out
i had one or two, and some were grey too :unsure:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

That's how black people's hair is. Imagine if you had a full head of that.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

The hair's are normal, we all get different thickness in hairs this could be due to hormones, age or just new hair.

However I beg you to NOT pull them out, this can develop into a condition I have called trichotillamania, fortunately mine isn't obvious however if you google you'll find people with huge bald patches, if you're interest youtube 'girls on the pull'. It's mainly a psychological problem, I pull whn stressed vut it's hard to stop, which is why i'm telling you to stop now because the haors are ttally normal and slowly pulling was hpw I started. Sorry fpr the lecture but just don't! and it's very normal :) x

Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

mmm i wouldnt actually be that worried if it was natural unfortunately i think im not black
:unsure:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Mar 13 2012, 08:27 PM
You sound like such a disturbing person.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Mar 13 2012, 08:29 PM
The hair's are normal, we all get different thickness in hairs this could be due to hormones, age or just new hair.

However I beg you to NOT pull them out, this can develop into a condition I have called trichotillamania, fortunately mine isn't obvious however if you google you'll find people with huge bald patches, if you're interest youtube 'girls on the pull'. It's mainly a psychological problem, I pull whn stressed vut it's hard to stop, which is why i'm telling you to stop now because the haors are ttally normal and slowly pulling was hpw I started. Sorry fpr the lecture but just don't! and it's very normal :) x

oh no ive been pulling them out for a year now...most often when just sitting on the computer or watching tv( i feel like sometimes i cant really control it) so i somehow feel you :hug:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

TrippleStar
Member Avatar

This is most likely related to hormone changes as you age. What OP described is very similar to the texture of gray hair. I would suggest a shampoo and leave in conditioner regiment to soften up the hair, make sure you get a brand that is designed to treat course hair, not one of those dollar brands. And like another poster said, stop pulling out your hair, it's not good for your scalp

Oh, and no that is not what black hair is like.
Edited by TrippleStar, Mar 13 2012, 08:50 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

My hair is thick and coarse, but not 'wiry.' I'm black...imagine what it would be like to not generalize. Hair expert. :eyeroll:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

TrippleStar
Mar 13 2012, 08:49 PM
This is most likely related to hormone changes as you age. What OP described is very similar to the texture of gray hair. I would suggest a shampoo and leave in conditioner regiment to soften up the hair, make sure you get a brand that is designed to treat course hair, not one of those dollar brands. And like another poster said, stop pulling out your hair, it's not good for your scalp

Where is your avatar from? I've always wondered.lol
Quote Post Goto Top

TrippleStar
Member Avatar

Mar 13 2012, 09:07 PM
TrippleStar

It's a clip from this behind the scenes video of Lindsey Shaw on the set of an ABC Family movie. I think the video speaks for itself.

Unregistered

I have the same problem since my early teen years, there was a quite bad time when I started having some almost bald spots, but when I realized it, I got really scared and slowed down on pulling. It rarely happens now.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

You may want to get it checked out by a doctor, preferably a dermatologist.

You could have the beginnings of Menkes Syndrome. Which is a problem with copper deficiency and absorption. But it can also be a copper deficiency without the absorption problem.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002145/

Can I ask you 2 questions:

do you take a multi vitamin regularly?
do you use sunscreen on your face regularly?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

i do take a lot of supplements
zinc,vitamin d, evening primrose oil...
i started noticing the hairs much earlier though before i started taking anything
and you could say im still in my teens :$

i dont use sunscreen:)
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

ill have to get go now, ill check back tomorrow
and really thank you for the help girls :*

i found somewhere that it was due to some hormonal imbalance
connected with DHT often responsible for hair loss and such...i hope its not anything more serious
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Mar 13 2012, 10:24 PM
i do take a lot of supplements
zinc,vitamin d, evening primrose oil...
i started noticing the hairs much earlier though before i started taking anything
and you could say im still in my teens :$

i dont use sunscreen:)
I work as a nutritionist (MS Nutrition, RD) and I work with young women who have hair loss issues all the time.

It might have shone up before, but I'm guessing that zinc is now the principal driver behind this. The reason I asked about sunscreen is because this is the usual source of zinc that tends to trigger this in my clinical experience.

When a woman gets too much zinc, you can develop copper deficiency. Basically it's because zinc and copper utilize the exact same receptors all over the body, including the hair shaft.

When you get too much of one, say zinc, then these receptors become overrun with zinc and block out any copper absorption to the receptors. This can lead to all sorts of anemia and copper deficiency issues. Copper deficiency manifests often as kinky hairs in odd places.

I find the first place this excess zinc/low copper seems to show up is the hair, particularly if one of my clients uses zinc sunscreen for a prolonged period of time (sometimes many years), she will develop those dark (or white) curly hairs, like you describe, in the overlap areas where she applies the sunscreen near her hairline. With too much zinc over time, either taken orally or topically, other parts of hair will begin to turn 'kinky'. This also means that the hair shaft itself turns thinner and finer -- though it can look thicker.

It's amazing that I saw this post, because this is an issue that took me many clients and years to figure out.

With all my clients you can reverse this. Stop taking anything with zinc. Get your blood levels for all minerals tested -- though note it's more likely you will elevated zinc and your copper will be at the low end, but not quite clinically deficient. This is still telling you you have too much zinc. Also get iron tested because low copper over time leads to iron deficiency anemia too.

Take a copper supplement. After a few months, go back to a full multi-vitamin that has a little zinc in it, but still take the copper supplement until the hairs go away. To hurry up the process, I have clients rub ionized copper water into the area of kinky hair. It does grow back normal, but takes a few months.

ionized copper water is cheap: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=ionized+copper&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13887194620231357354&sa=X&ei=4spfT7D2KIqFsgLS_IyfCA&ved=0CGgQ8wIwAQ

hope this helps. here's what the nih says: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-HealthProfessional/

Health Risks from Excessive Zinc

Zinc toxicity can occur in both acute and chronic forms. Intakes of 150–450 mg of zinc per day have been associated with such chronic effects as low copper status, altered iron function, reduced immune function, and reduced levels of high-density lipoproteins [81]. Reductions in a copper-containing enzyme, a marker of copper status, have been reported with even moderately high zinc intakes of approximately 60 mg/day for up to 10 weeks [2].

Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Thank you :hug: I'll get my blood test done soon and check in to the nearest pharmacy

I have a soft spot for mature, bright women :D
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Mar 13 2012, 08:37 PM
Posted Image
Wow Britney looks so old. Isn't she only like 29-30 years old? Imagine being a white bitch and looking so old when you're still so young. Imagine being white and looking 40 when you're still in your 20's. Lindsay Lohan. Lol
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Mar 14 2012, 03:21 PM
Thank you :hug: I'll get my blood test done soon and check in to the nearest pharmacy

I have a soft spot for mature, bright women :D
Thanks for liking bright women. :wub: I'm 27 years old, so I don't know about mature.

But I started working on the zinc/hair loss problem back in undergrad school. Because I worked with a lot of young athletes, some as young as 14 who were getting those kinky hairs because they used so much zinc sunscreen outdoors.

In that everything related to hair involves hormones, those crooked hairs are a hormonal problem. But it's not too much DHT because that would manifest mostly likely as dark hairs on the face, and it doesn't make scalp hairs crooked. And it's not excessive estrogen because that would make the scalp hairs thicker, and potentially darker, but straighter too.

The thing to look out for when you get your blood tested, is that because zinc is probably blocking your receptors, your free-circulating copper in your bloodstream may well be in the normal range because the copper is not taken up by the receptors, thus left to circulate in your bloodstream.

So your tipoff will be the elevated zinc reading that this is what is happening. But because your circulating copper is okay, some doctors will resist this diagnosis. Be warned. If they need a clinical explanation, have them check out this article: Clinical & Experimental Dermatology, Volume 27, Number 5, July 2002, pp. 400-408(9)

But you shouldn't be taking all that isolated zinc anyway, because this will happen eventually. The problem is that your body needs zinc too for good hair. But at this point you will need at least a 3-4 months building up your copper before you should resume taking zinc even in a multivitamin. Don't take zinc on its own anymore.

That ionized copper water I recommend is also the easiest and safest way to get a lot of copper into your diet. Follow directions on bottle. It's much more bioavailable than a copper pill. Plus copper pills cause stomach upset in some. There are many different brands. Rub a little on the kinky hairs a few times a day. The Cu water is edible, so it's safe for your hair obvs. :D
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

TrippleStar
Mar 13 2012, 09:53 PM
TrippleStar

It's a clip from this behind the scenes video of Lindsey Shaw on the set of an ABC Family movie. I think the video speaks for itself.

[flash=300,300]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f8JDCCUIC0&feature=fvsr[/flash]
is she gay? I saw her first on Ned's declassified on nick.
Quote Post Goto Top

TrippleStar
Member Avatar

Mar 15 2012, 03:45 PM
TrippleStar

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep

is she gay? I saw her first on Ned's declassified on nick.
I don't want to hijack OP's thread. So, if you don't mind, I'll answer in the chat thread

Unregistered

TrippleStar
TrippleStar

:rofl: Obvious lesbian, she couldn't even hide it! Do you know her name?
Quote Post Goto Top

Exactly my problem
Unregistered

Exactly my problem
However, my hear is blonde and very thin, so it really annoys me.
Thanks for all the people who answered =)
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

what if i have some hair growing above my chin guys? it just really started to grow more recently.. it really bothers me i need to use a tweezer every 3 days or so.. not a joke.. you think i might have a hormonal problem?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Mar 13 2012, 10:20 PM
You may want to get it checked out by a doctor, preferably a dermatologist.

You could have the beginnings of Menkes Syndrome. Which is a problem with copper deficiency and absorption. But it can also be a copper deficiency without the absorption problem.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002145/

Can I ask you 2 questions:

do you take a multi vitamin regularly?
do you use sunscreen on your face regularly?
Menkes syndrome is genetic and is present from infancy. (Notice how all the symptoms and diagnostic criteria listed on that page pertain to diagnosing in infants...also notice where it says individuals with the disease usually do not live past the first few years of life.) You don't suddenly develop it as an adult...seriously side-eyeing your medical expertise lol.
Quote Post Goto Top

i want to know the reason
Unregistered

Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Posted Image

Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

You are aging. Congratulations. The Depends are on aisle 7.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Hi OP, I've only just seen this thread but please please don't pull them out, I started doing this and became addicted, I had bald patches. That begun at 12, I'm now 19. I've semi overcome it now, but please reply if you need someone to talk to.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I wish I had hair like that :wub:
Quote Post Goto Top

Beat

I love my curls. Thank you very much.

Posted Image

Unregistered

I have the same problem. Could it be caused by just general damage to the hair?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

the thread is over a year old. op probably has way more pubes on her scalp now.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

We love our hair. Sorry that yours is boring.

Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply