Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Gia Carangi
Topic Started: Feb 23 2012, 05:54 PM (47,699 Views)
Unregistered

Jan 13 2013, 05:10 AM
Jan 13 2013, 05:06 AM
She was gorgeous, sad story really.
I heard she was bipolar as well? Anyone know if it's true?
I don't think she was bipolar. She was an heroine addict. That doesn't bring out the best in people. Lol.
No I know she was and I know it does but I was wondering because I had read it. Doesn't mean she was but I thought it was interesting.

I re-watched the movie a few days ago and laughed hysterically when I realized they didn't even try and cover Angelina's tattoo of that tattoo on her arm.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I don't think she was bipolar. She was an heroine addict. That doesn't bring out the best in people. Lol.
From her behavior it seems she could have had bipolar or bpd.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 13 2013, 05:32 AM
bpd? Really?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 13 2013, 05:40 AM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
bpd? Really?
I don't see any evidence for bipolar. BPD, maybe, she did have the intense relationships/despair etc that is often seen in bpd.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

bpd? Really?
Excessive substance abuse, unpredictable behavior, aggressive at times, fluctuating sense of self. All symptoms.

There's nothing wrong with having bpd. Don't act like people who have it are horrific.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 13 2013, 05:45 AM

bpd? Really?
Excessive substance abuse, unpredictable behavior, aggressive at times, fluctuating sense of self. All symptoms.

There's nothing wrong with having bpd. Don't act like people who have it are horrific.
I didn't say anything about people having bpd is horrific nor did I say there was anything wrong with having it.

It just never occurred to me that she probably had it but looking now, it's very possible she could've had it.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 13 2013, 05:50 AM
Jan 13 2013, 05:45 AM

I didn't say anything about people having bpd is horrific nor did I say there was anything wrong with having it.

It just never occurred to me that she probably had it but looking now, it's very possible she could've had it.
The Self-Destruction of Gia. After becoming addicted to drugs, Carangi's modeling career rapidly declined. She later became infected with HIV and died in Philadelphia. Her death was not widely publicized and few people in the fashion industry knew of it. Carangi is thought to be one of the first famous women to die of AIDS.
In 1996, actress-screenwriter Zoë Tamerlis, herself a heroin addict who died of drug-related causes in 1999, was commissioned to write a screenplay based upon Carangi's life. This version of Gia was not produced, but after Tamerlis' death, footage of her, photographers, Carangi's family, and Sandy Linter discussing her life was incorporated into a documentary entitled The Self-Destruction of Gia.
Zoe The Self-Destruction of Gia Documentry
The late screenwriter/actress Zoe Lund lovingly describes the appeal of heroin

Zoe The Self-Destruction of Gia Documentry

Gia Carangi Personal Interview

After becoming addicted to drugs, Carangi's modeling career rapidly declined. She later became infected with HIV and died in Philadelphia. Her death was not widely publicized and few people in the fashion industry knew of it. Carangi is thought to be one of the first famous women to die of AIDS.

Carangi was a regular at Studio 54 and the Mudd Club. Carangi usually only used cocaine in clubs but later began to develop a heroin addiction.

In October 1978, Carangi did her first major shoot with top fashion photographer Chris von Wangenheim. Wangenheim had her pose nude behind a chain-link fence with makeup assistant Sandy Linter. Carangi immediately became infatuated with Linter and started to pursue her, though the relationship never became stable., Carangi's agent, Wilhelmina Cooper, died of lung cancer. Devastated, Carangi started abusing drugs. Scavullo recalled a fashion shoot in the Caribbean when "She was crying, she couldn't find her drugs. I literally had to lay her down on her bed until she fell asleep."

By 1980, Carangi began having violent temper tantrums, walking out of photo shoots, and even falling asleep in front of the camera. In the November 1980 issue of Vogue, Carangi's track marks from heroin can be easily seen. For three weeks, she was signed with Eileen Ford, who soon dropped her.
Spoiler: click to toggle

Her funeral was held on November 21 at a small funeral home in Philadelphia. Nobody from the fashion world attended. However, weeks later, Scavullo sent a Mass card when he heard the news.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Friends of hers open up about Gia & Gias mum about her childhood

Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I remember reading when the film 'Gia' was released that the character 'Linda' played by the lovely Elizabeth Mitchell, wasn't based on one person but was an amalgamation of Gia's main lovers ..to simplify the story I guess.
Gia used to smoke her heroin which was safer[in terms of heroin addiction] but one day couldn't contact her dealer and in desperation shared a dirty needle with another addict and so contracted the HIV virus.
Ignorance of HIV/Aids in the early days meant that little or no treatment could be offered so victims died of horrible cancers and tuberculosis. Gia I believe died of a dreadful skin cancer amongst other things.

I also read that Angelina & Elizabeth did have a bit of a fling at the time ...wishful thinking..?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 13 2013, 09:34 PM

I also read that Angelina & Elizabeth did have a bit of a fling at the time ...wishful thinking..?
Wishful thinking. Elizabeth was very straight and would always giggle during their naked or kissing scenes because she felt so awkward.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I read Gia was head over hills in love with a makeup artist who rejected her advances.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I remember reading when the film 'Gia' was released that the character 'Linda' played by the lovely Elizabeth Mitchell, wasn't based on one person but was an amalgamation of Gia's main lovers ..to simplify the story I guess.
Gia used to smoke her heroin which was safer[in terms of heroin addiction] but one day couldn't contact her dealer and in desperation shared a dirty needle with another addict and so contracted the HIV virus.
Ignorance of HIV/Aids in the early days meant that little or no treatment could be offered so victims died of horrible cancers and tuberculosis. Gia I believe died of a dreadful skin cancer amongst other things.

Quote:

Gia I believe died of a dreadful skin cancer amongst other things.

Are you being silly on purpose there are posts above and videos and you can google She became infected with HIV and died in Philadelphia. Her death was not widely publicized and few people in the fashion industry knew of it. Carangi is thought to be one of the first famous women to die of AIDS.Carangi developed an HIV infection and died at the age of 26.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

GAY
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 13 2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:

Are you being silly on purpose there are posts above and videos and you can google She became infected with HIV and died in Philadelphia. Her death was not widely publicized and few people in the fashion industry knew of it. Carangi is thought to be one of the first famous women to die of AIDS.Carangi developed an HIV infection and died at the age of 26.
You misunderstood the OP. She said Gia did have HIV/Aids & as a result contracted other things because of it.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 13 2013, 10:05 PM
I read Gia was head over hills in love with a makeup artist who rejected her advances.
Thing of Beauty By Stephen Fried

Something far more important was happening in her life. It had been years since her relationship with Sharon Beverly had ended, and in the interim she had been through a series of unsatisfying flings and unrequited crushes — including one with a well-known female makeup artist that had the industry buzzing. But, finally, after searching so long for someone with whom she could share her heart, Gia had fallen in love with a woman prepared to love her back.

"I Knew That Any Day I Would Get a Call and She’d Be Dead"

ROCHELLE SILVER WAS A PHILADELPHIA area student with dirty-blond hair, a smart mouth and a lot of questions about her sexuality. Over the years, Rochelle would become Gia’s escape from modeling and New York City. "People are always after me in New York," Gia would often say.

"The first time I met Gia," Rochelle recalls, "I almost passed out. She was wearing her usual outfit and had a Heineken in her hand and I had never come into contact with anybody who was that stereotypically homosexual. I was going through the dilemma of sex at that time. Gia liked me, and she kept coming back and knocking on my door. From that time until the end, Gia didn’t leave me alone. She was very romantic. She wrote me poetry, gave me roses, chocolates. She was very old-fashioned. She was like an Italian guy from the old school. I’d say Gia made me into a nice girl. I never knew what love was or good sex was. We lived together in a husband-and-wife type of thing. I was the wife, she was the dominant one, although sometimes she was just like a child. She’d get all excited about things like Dairy Queen. I’d say, ‘You want some ice cream?’ and she got all excited. ‘Can we really go to Dairy Queen, really?’ " At first they carried on the relationship long distance, although Gia wanted Rochelle to move to New York with her. "She’d hide in her apartment and stay home to be with me," Rochelle recalls. "It wasn’t always because of drugs that she missed jobs. It just didn’t mean that much to her. If it was a sunny day and she was supposed to be somewhere, she would just decide we were going to Fire Island. She would tell me that she had called and canceled her booking, and then we were up in a helicopter going to Fire Island. We’d come back at night and go out to have a drink somewhere and somebody would come up to Gia and say, ‘Where the hell were you?’ And then I realized she hadn’t ever called. But I’d look at her and she’d look at me through her hair-which was always over her eyes — and what could I do?

Spoiler: click to toggle

Thing Of Beauty By Stephen Fried part one
http://www.phillymag.com/articles/thing-of-beauty/

Part Two
http://www.phillymag.com/articles/thing-of-beauty-part2/
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Posted Image
1982: Attempts a Comeback after battle with Heroin Addiction. Scavullo Gives her a Cosmo Cover. Years later he said: "It made ​​me very sad. I had a tough time that day because I really wanted it to be her best cover and it wasn't. It couldn't be. And no matter how hard

Posted Image

75: Starts at modeling school in Philadelphia and Clubs Begins to party like the DCA, where she meets Beverly girlfriend Sharon.

Posted Image

1985: In the summer Gia left rehab and worked selling jeans at The Gap
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Elyssa Golden ^^^aka Rochelle

Posted ImagePosted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Posted ImagePosted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 13 2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:

You misunderstood the OP. She said Gia did have HIV/Aids & as a result contracted other things because of it.
Thank you.

People don't die of Aids as such , because their immune systems are wrecked they are susceptible to other fatal illnesses such as cancer and tuberculosis..I have a friend who is HIV positive so have picked up a lot of information from him.
So no I'm not 'being silly on purpose'
Quote Post Goto Top

Steffi Graf

Jan 14 2013, 01:13 AM
Jan 13 2013, 11:59 PM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepCarangi is thought to be one of the first famous women to die of AIDS.Carangi developed an HIV infection and died at the age of 26.
Thank you.

People don't die of Aids as such , because their immune systems are wrecked they are susceptible to other fatal illnesses such as cancer and tuberculosis..I have a friend who is HIV positive so have picked up a lot of information from him.
So no I'm not 'being silly on purpose'
This is very true.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

thanks for posting the pics of her gf, always wondered what she looked like.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Nov 20 2012, 12:51 AM
:love:
Posted Image

aww
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Her story is so sad, i wish she didn't catch HIV in the first place and could have done what she wanted to do with her life when she was sober. She wanted to have a career as a photographer for a while. I'd like her to be alive. She would also have been one of the most out and proud lesbians out there.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 14 2013, 01:53 AM
Her story is so sad, i wish she didn't catch HIV in the first place and could have done what she wanted to do with her life when she was sober. She wanted to have a career as a photographer for a while. I'd like her to be alive. She would also have been one of the most out and proud lesbians out there.
I don't think so. She grew up when people were very homophobic, gayness you kept hidden and I bet she would have too if she'd stayed alive. I think it would have been a glass closet situation, but I doubt she'd ever admit to being gay.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 14 2013, 01:58 AM
I don't think so. She grew up when people were very homophobic, gayness you kept hidden and I bet she would have too if she'd stayed alive. I think it would have been a glass closet situation, but I doubt she'd ever admit to being gay.
Well, according to everyone in the business back then, she was pretty much out and everyone knew she was gay, and she wasn't really trying to convince people she wasn't. She was living her romances out loud (excepts those were other times, without internet and tabloids weren't as prominent), so i don't think she would have had much trouble admitting she was gay. Probably she wouldn't have to admit it in the first place, people would already know as soon as she appeared in the middle of a bar/club kissing her woman.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

She didn't date men. Friends said she was very gay, and open about it. Have you looked at any of her documentaries?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

There was a brief time in the mid to late '70's when people in urban areas were much more open about homosexuality than in the 1980's after Reagan and the Republicans took over. The '70's were an incredibly wild time, especially for young people in urban areas.

Gia was good looking and worked in an industry where many gay people were out already. Good looks allow you to get away with a lot of things more ordinary looking people get ostracized for. If she became a photographer, she might have been out. No one in the industry would care as long as her pics were good.

If she continued to work as a model, then she would have probably stayed in the glass closet but then again she was an envelope-pushing, rebellious type, so who knows, she might have come out while still a model. Unfortunately we'll never know.

Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

The woman is dead & you're all debating whether she'd come out or not. :facepalm: The coming out talk is nuts. People who knew & loved her knew who she loved, who made her happy, & that's all that should matter. (for her & anyone) life is too short to be obsessed over what others think about who you are. Live your life & be you & I can't help but believe Gia would say this today.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 14 2013, 02:25 AM
The woman is dead & you're all debating whether she'd come out or not. :facepalm: The coming out talk is nuts. People who knew & loved her knew who she loved, who made her happy, & that's all that should matter. (for her & anyone) life is too short to be obsessed over what others think about who you are. Live your life & be you & I can't help but believe Gia would say this today.
I don't get why her being dead should be a reason for us not to discusss her sexual orientation and her possible public statement if she were alive.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

You're nuts. Why you mad? Gia was a LESBIAN. She didn't have to say anything. She was very much OUT.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 14 2013, 02:12 AM
There was a brief time in the mid to late '70's when people in urban areas were much more open about homosexuality than in the 1980's after Reagan and the Republicans took over. The '70's were an incredibly wild time, especially for young people in urban areas.

Gia was good looking and worked in an industry where many gay people were out already. Good looks allow you to get away with a lot of things more ordinary looking people get ostracized for. If she became a photographer, she might have been out. No one in the industry would care as long as her pics were good.

If she continued to work as a model, then she would have probably stayed in the glass closet but then again she was an envelope-pushing, rebellious type, so who knows, she might have come out while still a model. Unfortunately we'll never know.

You are basically agreeing with me. I was talking about whether she'd be out professionally and to the world, not the people around her. I doubt she would have. The original person I responded to sounded like they thought had she lived, she could have been an out gay person in the media, and I doubt that. She would never have publicly acknowledged it, may have even taken men on dates to events etc.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 14 2013, 02:39 AM
You're nuts. Why you mad? Gia was a LESBIAN. She didn't have to say anything. She was very much OUT.
No shit Sherlock. Way to miss my point entirely.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 14 2013, 12:21 AM
Posted Image
1982: Attempts a Comeback after battle with Heroin Addiction. Scavullo Gives her a Cosmo Cover. Years later he said: "It made ​​me very sad. I had a tough time that day because I really wanted it to be her best cover and it wasn't. It couldn't be. And no matter how hard
Her cover looks good to me
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 14 2013, 03:05 AM
Jan 14 2013, 02:39 AM
No shit Sherlock. Way to miss my point entirely.
^ you really need to calm down.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply