Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Lesbian-themed Books
Topic Started: Jan 5 2012, 08:43 PM (50,765 Views)
Unregistered

Anyone have suggestions for some lesbian themed books? Or with lesbians in them.

Also, I love YA books does anyone know any YA books with lesbian themes or characters?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I'm sure others can add to the list but some that come to mind -

The Price of Salt, Patricia Highsmith
Sarah Waters books (Victorian historical lesbian fiction) Fingersmith, Tipping the Velvet, etc.
Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, Jeanette Winterson
Lesbian Pulp Fiction: The Sexually Intrepid World of Lesbian Paperback Novels 1950-1965, Katherine Forrest (selection of lesbian pulp fiction stories)
Glamour Girls: Femme/femme Erotica, Rachel Kramer Bussel (selection of femme erotica stories)
The Color Purple, Alice Walker
Cracks, Sheila Kohler
Stir-fry, Emma Donoghue
The Well of Loneliness, Radclyffe Hall (lesbian classic but butchy)
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

ha! i had no idea the color purple had lesbians. i just got it because it was a female minority writer stuff.

well.

i guess they all have a little lezzy in them lol
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

anymore books?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Conversations with God.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 5 2012, 08:43 PM
Anyone have suggestions for some lesbian themed books? Or with lesbians in them.

Also, I love YA books does anyone know any YA books with lesbian themes or characters?
Most YA books are shit or depressing IMO. The only ones I like are:

Annie On My Mind - Nancy Garden
Keeping You A Secret - Julie Anne Peters (I love that one)
Dare Truth or Promise - Paula Boock
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

the protagonist in Rule 34 by Charles Stross is a lesbian. (Science-Fiction/Crime)

Her love life is not a main focus of the book though.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

How about books with lesbians in them but y'know...not a lesbian book? Am I making sense? haha. Let's see... Books who's leads just happen to be lesbian.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Please tell me a good book to buy! It can be simple erotica. I took one and it wasn't good.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Rita Mae Brown's Rubyfruit Jungle is a lesbian classic. It is a coming of age tell about a lesbian from the south (US). It totally revolutionized the lesbian genre (away from self-loathing, psychotic portrayal of lesbians). I recommend buying some depends though. You will be pissing yourself while reading it :D
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I recently read Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult, it's been on the USA Today and NYT bestseller lists and is a decent read. It does get a little preachy at times, probably because it's written for mainstream audiences.

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray is a YA novel with several major lgbt characters. It's about a bunch of teen beauty pageant contestants who get stranded on an island when their plane crashes, it's very well written with lots of humor and strong characters.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 15 2012, 11:50 AM
Rita Mae Brown's Rubyfruit Jungle is a lesbian classic. It is a coming of age tell about a lesbian from the south (US). It totally revolutionized the lesbian genre (away from self-loathing, psychotic portrayal of lesbians). I recommend buying some depends though. You will be pissing yourself while reading it :D
I agree Rubyfruit Jungle is definitely worth reading.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Just finished reading a lesbian pulp fiction novel called "three women". Wish I had known there was an alternative version with a happy ending the writer wanted and not the "lesbian love can't win" version the publishers insisted. And most of all wish I hadn't read the latter. It set me in a bad place. Silly. It's just a story. But all of us should be entitled our share of happy fantasy. Wonder how lesbians of the 40's and 50's made it.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 5 2012, 05:09 PM
Just finished reading a lesbian pulp fiction novel called "three women". Wish I had known there was an alternative version with a happy ending the writer wanted and not the "lesbian love can't win" version the publishers insisted. And most of all wish I hadn't read the latter. It set me in a bad place. Silly. It's just a story. But all of us should be entitled our share of happy fantasy. Wonder how lesbians of the 40's and 50's made it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUZNwJRRfZE
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 5 2012, 05:09 PM
I don't know how it was in the US, but in the UK I heard it wasn't as bad. Things like lesbian pubs weren't as criminalized as gay guy pubs because women and female sexuality weren't taken seriously to begin with.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Great free site with a lot of quality lesbian-themed stories of varying lengths:
http://xenafiction.net/styles/athenaeum_deepblue/index2.cfm?art=0

HIGHLY recommend this story (the first chapter is misleading, but read on):
http://xenafiction.net/scrolls/omega13_denial.html
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

books for sale
Quote Post Goto Top

Sourjuice

Outstanding YA novels with lesbian protagonists, awesome story and great imagery:
"Ash" (a retelling of Cinderella)
"Huntress" (set in the same universe as "Ash")
both by Malinda Lo
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

midnight_stalker
Member Avatar

Sputnik Sweetheart is also one

Unregistered

A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend by Emily Horner is one of the best YA books I have read.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Jan 15 2012, 11:22 AM
the protagonist in Rule 34 by Charles Stross is a lesbian. (Science-Fiction/Crime)

Her love life is not a main focus of the book though.
Oh cool, I have that book, just haven't looked at it yet. Romance isn't a priority for me, just characters I can relate to, so thanks for the heads-up (not op).
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

midnight_stalker
Feb 9 2012, 12:45 PM
Sputnik Sweetheart is also one
This was a cool read. A character is a lesbian but it never goes into much detail about her if I recall correctly.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Book of Ruth, the Bible
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Anything that's not been mentioned?

I'm looking for something good to read with a fast-moving plot and well-drawn characters. I'd like something well-enough written. It can't be Dan Brown/Twilight level shit. I've read all of Sarah Waters' books. I just finished reading the Millennium trilogy, which I found pretty compelling. It doesn't technically have to have queer characters, but it would be awesome if it did. Sci-Fi is okay, but the characters have to be well-developed (and I don't usually find that to be the case with SciFi).
Quote Post Goto Top

Zed
Member Avatar
Fake Natalie Tran
Feb 9 2012, 06:21 PM
Book of Ruth, the Bible
Well played, madam.

Just out of interest, we had another thread about horror fiction as well, might be worth a look, or merging, or summat.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/L_Anon/topic/4682163/1/#new

Unregistered

Feb 5 2012, 05:22 PM
Great free site with a lot of quality lesbian-themed stories of varying lengths:

Denial is my go to reading when I want some angst. Delicious, delicious angst.

And +1 to the xenafiction link. A lot of the ones in the hall of fame are published, so you're actually getting to read them for free. I also recommend "And Playing the Role of Herself" on that site.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Should I post a link to a Demonoid user who rips and uploads lesbian books, which also include some YA lesbian books? I'm not sure how the board deals with pirated stuff.

Spoiler: click to toggle
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Book of Ruth, the Bible
Whoa, what?
Quote Post Goto Top

Zed
Member Avatar
Fake Natalie Tran
Ruth and Naomi have a very, very, very close friendship, and there's lots of weeping and clinging whenever it seems like they might be separated.

Basically, Naomi is widowed and her sons die. She tells her sons widows to go off and find new lives, but one of them, Ruth, resolves to stay and swears herself to Naomi for the rest of her life instead.

Quote:

"Look," said Naomi, "your sister-in-law is going back to her people and her gods. Go back with her." But Ruth replied, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me."

Ruth ends up married anyway to a kindly rich dude as far as I remember, but she and Naomi are never separated.

Traditionally, it's been treated as an example of good Jewish daughter-in-lawship, but to modern eyes, it feels like something rather more. No way of ever knowing now, I suppose, but AfterEllen have done regular weekly features on much less.

There's also a bit of a linguistic quirk that people picked up on. As I understand it, the word used to describe Ruth's love for Naomi is that used to describe Adam's love for Eve. More learned folks than I can tell you if that's tenuous or not - I'm pretty rusty on my ancient middle eastern languages - but it's interesting nonetheless. Either way, I did appreciate the many resulting gaytacular bible illustrations related to the story that littered my very Catholic childhood.

If you're curious - http://www.online-bible.org.uk/ruth/ruth-1.htm
Edited by Zed, Feb 18 2012, 04:39 AM.

Unregistered

Feb 18 2012, 04:12 AM
Book of Ruth, the Bible
Whoa, what?
Book of Ruth has some heavy stuff. Needed a Prozac afterwards.
Quote Post Goto Top

Zed
Member Avatar
Fake Natalie Tran
I have to say, that's a pretty Twilight-y line about dying where she dies. Earliest emos on record?

Unregistered

It can't be any good if every couple is based (at least in looks) on xena and gabrielle. A big turn off to me. The only worse thing is when the characters are butch/femme.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 18 2012, 04:43 AM

It can't be any good if every couple is based (at least in looks) on xena and gabrielle. A big turn off to me. The only worse thing is when the characters are butch/femme.
Actually most of the books portray both of them as femmey. And quite a few are really original characters. There are a few authors who really do the butch/femme thing, but since I'm not a fan of those and actually turn me off too, I haven't really read them. The Denial and the And Playing the Role... do not have butch characters. Denial has a tall, dark-haired Doctors without Borders doctor who is femmey, and a not-short blonde architect who is also femmey (and the sister-in-law of the brunette)

The And Playing the Role book is completely original. The characters are femmey actresses.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Zed
Feb 18 2012, 04:31 AM
Ruth and Naomi have a very, very, very close friendship, and there's lots of weeping and clinging whenever it seems like they might be separated.

Basically, Naomi is widowed and her sons die. She tells her sons widows to go off and find new lives, but one of them, Ruth, resolves to stay and swears herself to Naomi for the rest of her life instead.

Quote:

"Look," said Naomi, "your sister-in-law is going back to her people and her gods. Go back with her." But Ruth replied, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me."

Ruth ends up married anyway to a kindly rich dude as far as I remember, but she and Naomi are never separated.

Traditionally, it's been treated as an example of good Jewish daughter-in-lawship, but to modern eyes, it feels like something rather more. No way of ever knowing now, I suppose, but AfterEllen have done regular weekly features on much less.

There's also a bit of a linguistic quirk that people picked up on. As I understand it, the word used to describe Ruth's love for Naomi is that used to describe Adam's love for Eve. More learned folks than I can tell you if that's tenuous or not - I'm pretty rusty on my ancient middle eastern languages - but it's interesting nonetheless. Either way, I did appreciate the many resulting gaytacular bible illustrations related to the story that littered my very Catholic childhood.

If you're curious - http://www.online-bible.org.uk/ruth/ruth-1.htm
Well, hot damn.

Thank you.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply