Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Abby Wambach
Topic Started: Dec 13 2011, 12:18 PM (2,194,276 Views)
Unregistered

Feb 5 2012, 03:34 PM
Feb 5 2012, 07:01 AM
Feb 5 2012, 06:13 AM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
amen.
That's right. Because everybody knows that since Ellen And Will And Grace things are so much better. What purpose could it possibly serve? http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/one-towns-war-on-gay-teens-20120202
so just because they're gay, abby and megan are expected to come out to be a role model? it's their choice. they shouldnt HAVE to come out. even when bad things like this happen it's not abby's responsibility to come out just so kids have someone to look up to. her and megan choose how to live their lives how they want to. and if that means not announcing to the world that they are gay, then so be it. it's THEIR lives.
Quote Post Goto Top

TheMoodyDoc

Feb 5 2012, 05:11 PM

That's right. Because everybody knows that since Ellen And Will And Grace things are so much better. What purpose could it possibly serve? http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/one-towns-war-on-gay-teens-20120202
so just because they're gay, abby and megan are expected to come out to be a role model? it's their choice. they shouldnt HAVE to come out. even when bad things like this happen it's not abby's responsibility to come out just so kids have someone to look up to. her and megan choose how to live their lives how they want to. and if that means not announcing to the world that they are gay, then so be it. it's THEIR lives.
Thank you. I couldn't agree more.
In my personal opinion no one has to come out just because they are gay.
And Abby and Megan live their life pretty openly but private.
The thing I can't take are people who are gay (or whatever) and talk/act actively against their peers.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Agreed. It makes me mad that because Abby/Megan and others are successful athletes and good SPORTS role models, some people put the burden on their shoulders/try to guilt trip them to come out to be GAY role models as well even though their private lives have nothing to do with their jobs (i.e. they are not the Kardashians).
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

TheMoodyDoc
Feb 5 2012, 06:15 PM
The thing I can't take are people who are gay (or whatever) and talk/act actively against their peers.
i agree that it is their choice and whatever they decide to do it is fine decision, but abby does not live openly gay, as she would never ever say yes i have a girlfriend or me and my girlfriend etc etc...she is hiding that..and the only reason for not mentioning her partner is because it is woman, ..and it is fine..it is her choice...nothing against that..but that is how things are..
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 5 2012, 06:26 PM
TheMoodyDoc
i agree that it is their choice and whatever they decide to do it is fine decision, but abby does not live openly gay, as she would never ever say yes i have a girlfriend or me and my girlfriend etc etc...she is hiding that..and the only reason for not mentioning her partner is because it is woman, ..and it is fine..it is her choice...nothing against that..but that is how things are..
It's not her choice, it's USSF's directive.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 5 2012, 06:29 PM
TheMoodyDoc
you always have a choice..
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 5 2012, 06:31 PM
Sure if you want to be sanctioned or dropped from the team. Wait until she retires.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

I hate this saying "you always have a choice". well yeah, but choices come with consequences.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 5 2012, 06:32 PM
Sure if you want to be sanctioned or dropped from the team. Wait until she retires.
what is USSF directive?
Quote Post Goto Top

Abbyholic
Unregistered

Abby retweeted this a couple of minutes ago:

SteveMesler Steve Mesler
Glad this guy has no shot at being President! RT@HuffingtonPost: Santorum: gay relationships don't "benefit society" huff.to/ySHVJ3

:clap:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Abbyholic
Feb 5 2012, 07:11 PM

SteveMesler Steve Mesler
Glad this guy has no shot at being President! RT@HuffingtonPost: Santorum: gay relationships don't "benefit society" huff.to/ySHVJ3

wooow :blinkwide: I'm amazed at how much more open she's become - can she get any closer to coming out, without actually coming out???

nice work abby :bowdown:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 5 2012, 07:14 PM
Abbyholic

SteveMesler Steve Mesler

wooow :blinkwide: I'm amazed at how much more open she's become - can she get any closer to coming out, without actually coming out???

LOL perfect timing... abby are you in this thread?! :rofl:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

TheMoodyDoc
When people have to "come out" it just makes it seems that they are that much different. Someone who is straight doesnt have to say "im straight" so Anyone who is gay, should not have to "come out" and say "I'm gay"

I hope eventually one day... It's all love. Not straight. Not gay. Just love.

And as for the Role model thing... Abby isn't going to make a difference in the little asshole kids that bully others by her coming out.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 5 2012, 07:22 PM
Feb 5 2012, 07:14 PM
Abbyholic

SteveMesler Steve Mesler

LOL perfect timing... abby are you in this thread?! :rofl:
My thoughts exactly when I saw that retweet!
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 5 2012, 10:20 PM
TheMoodyDoc
When people have to "come out" it just makes it seems that they are that much different. Someone who is straight doesnt have to say "im straight" so Anyone who is gay, should not have to "come out" and say "I'm gay"

And as for the Role model thing... Abby isn't going to make a difference in the little asshole kids that bully others by her coming out.
I've never felt the need to come out. I don't see why I have to. I'm still going to be the same after. Doesn't matter if I tell you I'm gay. I have told people simply so they'll stop asking me who I like. That was high school and since then I haven't told anyone because I don't think it matters.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

TheMoodyDoc

This is part of what I posted in response to something similar in the USWNT thread (keep in mind it's not all directed at your specific post):

Quote:

I disagree with you about the idea that coming out highlights that gay people are "different" from straight people, mainly because they are already treated differently from the straight players. Notice in Hope's interview that Megan Rapinoe is "in a relationship" but that Alex Morgan "has a boyfriend." Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I also don't see USSOCCER posting a "newlyweds" video with Abby, Lori, or Megan similar to the one they did with Arod and HAO in the event that they are married to their longterm partners. I also don't see any articles about the gay players who are with other athletes that compare to the articles and interviews with Morgan, Cheney, Leroux, and their boyfriends/fiances. Rampone uses her husband's last name. There are so many other examples that I can think of about how the behavior and treatment of gay players makes them "different" regardless of whether they're out. You can't explain it as them just being private unless you're willing to accept that all the gay players are super private and most of the straight players have some sort of vaguely exhibitionist qualities. The fact is that whether we like it or not, gay people are different in today's society and culture regardless of one's "outness."

We also differ in our opinions about whether public figures coming out has a meaningful impact for others, but I won't go into detail with that. I will say that I do think coming out should be a seen as personal choice for everyone, including public figures.

I guess I would add that some players on the team are in a sort of "glass closet," where they deliberately give veiled acknowledgement of their orientation and/or significant others if they are gay, but avoid explicitly stating it. I do think that it's their right to do that, be it for their own comfort, financial interest, or what they see as the collective interest of women's soccer in the U.S. I don't blame them at all for taking that route because they are the ones that have to deal with the consequences, not me. But I also think that it would help some gay kids who feel isolated and at a dead end in life if they did come out, just to give them a bit of hope that they can lead a successful fulfilling life.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 5 2012, 11:21 PM

This is part of what I posted in response to something similar in the USWNT thread (keep in mind it's not all directed at your specific post):

Quote:

I disagree with you about the idea that coming out highlights that gay people are "different" from straight people, mainly because they are already treated differently from the straight players. Notice in Hope's interview that Megan Rapinoe is "in a relationship" but that Alex Morgan "has a boyfriend." Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I also don't see USSOCCER posting a "newlyweds" video with Abby, Lori, or Megan similar to the one they did with Arod and HAO in the event that they are married to their longterm partners. I also don't see any articles about the gay players who are with other athletes that compare to the articles and interviews with Morgan, Cheney, Leroux, and their boyfriends/fiances. Rampone uses her husband's last name. There are so many other examples that I can think of about how the behavior and treatment of gay players makes them "different" regardless of whether they're out. You can't explain it as them just being private unless you're willing to accept that all the gay players are super private and most of the straight players have some sort of vaguely exhibitionist qualities. The fact is that whether we like it or not, gay people are different in today's society and culture regardless of one's "outness."

We also differ in our opinions about whether public figures coming out has a meaningful impact for others, but I won't go into detail with that. I will say that I do think coming out should be a seen as personal choice for everyone, including public figures.

I guess I would add that some players on the team are in a sort of "glass closet," where they deliberately give veiled acknowledgement of their orientation and/or significant others if they are gay, but avoid explicitly stating it. I do think that it's their right to do that, be it for their own comfort, financial interest, or what they see as the collective interest of women's soccer in the U.S. I don't blame them at all for taking that route because they are the ones that have to deal with the consequences, not me. But I also think that it would help some gay kids who feel isolated and at a dead end in life if they did come out, just to give them a bit of hope that they can lead a successful fulfilling life.
it is about not hiding it and not lying about it, it is not about saying out load to everyone that you are gay...
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Going for the Giants in the Superbowl just cause Abby is, lol.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Posted Image

Adorable couple is adorable
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 6 2012, 12:58 AM
Posted Image

Posted Image

I've died an gone to soccer heaven.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/obsessedwithuswnt/17126591981/1/tumblr_lyy565aox81qmj3xm
awwwww...she said for life
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

This one from Huffy:

Posted Image

"Thank you @Gatorade, @SarahRobbOh will be a night to remember for life w @AbbyWambach#leggo #cantwaitforhalftime http://pic.twitter.com/wtDDRVkN"
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 6 2012, 01:03 AM
Posted Image

Posted Image

Seriously I'm dead. Fucking dead.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 6 2012, 01:07 AM
Posted Image

Posted Image

seriously, they're just roommates. :rofl:
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 6 2012, 01:07 AM
Posted Image

Posted Image

What a way to go. Sarah's hand, no space between them, can't see Abby's other hand. Too much.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 6 2012, 01:06 AM
This one from Huffy:

Posted Image

"Thank you @Gatorade, @SarahRobbOh will be a night to remember for life w @AbbyWambach#leggo #cantwaitforhalftime http://pic.twitter.com/wtDDRVkN"
This has been the best Superbowl ever!!
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

TheMoodyDoc

No but she might make a difference to the kid that is being bullied and just wants to die.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 6 2012, 02:39 AM

No but she might make a difference to the kid that is being bullied and just wants to die.
I see where you're coming from but that's completely her choice if she wants to take on the responsibility of being a gay role model in addition to a sports role model. And take on the consequences that come with being a gay role model.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

It definitely wouldn't... Abby coming out to the public, isn't going to make this kid suddenly not get bullied, the bullying is what makes these kids want to commit suicide and that's not going to change.

I wouldn't mind if Abby and the USWNT spoke out more for equality... But I think it's headed in the right direction with Abby retweeting that comment about Rick Santorum and how gay couples don't benefit society or Pinoe retweeting and tweeting some of the things he does.

Like I've said before in the USWNT thread, It should be about humans standing up for humans.

I hate labels... Gay, straight, black, white. Needs to be just human-being...
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 6 2012, 04:44 AM
It definitely wouldn't... Abby coming out to the public, isn't going to make this kid suddenly not get bullied, the bullying is what makes these kids want to commit suicide and that's not going to change.

I wouldn't mind if Abby and the USWNT spoke out more for equality... But I think it's headed in the right direction with Abby retweeting that comment about Rick Santorum and how gay couples don't benefit society or Pinoe retweeting and tweeting some of the things he does.

Like I've said before in the USWNT thread, It should be about humans standing up for humans.

Have you even see any of the it gets better stuff, fuck you are ignorant Whats your solution then, there is nothing to be done so just let the kids top them selves.
Any interview with a newly out celeb they will say they are overwhelmed by the letters they get from kids telling them that just the act of them coming has helped.
Go back to your closet, I hope you are very happy in there.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

You're making a lot of assumptions in order to declare that "it definitely wouldn't help." One is that kids are killing themselves just because they are bullied, which is not necessarily true. Kids who commit suicide, especially ones that are gay, usually do it because they feel isolated and hopeless. Bullying by other kids contributes to that, but is not the only factor by a long shot.

Plenty of celebrities that are out or have played an iconic gay character have mentioned that fans often tell them that seeing them come out or in a role has had a huge impact on them either in giving them hope in a really dark time or giving them the courage to come out. So I strongly disagree that it wouldn't help anyone, though I'll reiterate that I think that it is a personal choice to come out. I don't judge any individual for not doing it.

As far as labels, we live in a world where they exist and have very real, material consequences for peoples lives. It really doesn't matter if you "like" them, they are still tools that people use to interpret the world and each other. It's inherently not wrong to recognize people's differences. The diversity of human experience is a beautiful thing. The problem is when people choose to believe they are somehow superior and have the right to ostracize others based on that difference to mask their own insecurity. Ignoring the fact that people have differences does nothing to fix that problem in any society.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 6 2012, 05:13 AM

You're making a lot of assumptions in order to declare that "it definitely wouldn't help." One is that kids are killing themselves just because they are bullied, which is not necessarily true. Kids who commit suicide, especially ones that are gay, usually do it because they feel isolated and hopeless. Bullying by other kids contributes to that, but is not the only factor by a long shot.

Plenty of celebrities that are out or have played an iconic gay character have mentioned that fans often tell them that seeing them come out or in a role has had a huge impact on them either in giving them hope in a really dark time or giving them the courage to come out. So I strongly disagree that it wouldn't help anyone, though I'll reiterate that I think that it is a personal choice to come out. I don't judge any individual for not doing it.

As far as labels, we live in a world where they exist and have very real, material consequences for peoples lives. It really doesn't matter if you "like" them, they are still tools that people use to interpret the world and each other. It's inherently not wrong to recognize people's differences. The diversity of human experience is a beautiful thing. The problem is when people choose to believe they are somehow superior and have the right to ostracize others based on that difference to mask their own insecurity. Ignoring the fact that people have differences does nothing to fix that problem in any society.
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 6 2012, 05:04 AM

Have you even see any of the it gets better stuff, fuck you are ignorant Whats your solution then, there is nothing to be done so just let the kids top them selves.
Any interview with a newly out celeb they will say they are overwhelmed by the letters they get from kids telling them that just the act of them coming has helped.
Go back to your closet, I hope you are very happy in there.
I love the it gets better videos and when others speak out about it and like I said i wish the team would do more about it. And I do believe they will, as those are becoming more well known.

The solution is EVERYONE should stand up for EVERYONE. It has to be known that being "gay" is no different than being "straight"... and right now it is different. And it's never going to change until we, as the human race, change the message that it's not different.

I'll love whoever I fall in love with... Been in a relationship with a man and been in a relationship with a woman. Not in the closet about anything
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Feb 6 2012, 05:13 AM

OP. You're completely right and I totally respect this post, thank you for writing an intelligent post and not bashing me, and making me feel like shit, like most people do on here.

It definitely wouldn't help was a bad statementon on my part... It COULD help. I'm just trying to make the point that it is still making it different.

Civil Rights movement... Once african Americans weren't treated different, it started to get better
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Posted Image

Better watch where you put your hand Brandon Marshall. Huffy has no mercy.
Quote Post Goto Top

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply