| We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Another Costa Ship in Trouble | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Feb 28 2012, 05:17 AM (320 Views) | |
| Brewster | Feb 28 2012, 05:17 AM Post #1 |
![]()
Fire & Ice Senior Diplomat
![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I think I'll avoid sending any of my customers on this particular line for a while...The Whole Story My guess is that this Cruise Line is about to go out of business... |
![]() |
|
| Pat | Feb 28 2012, 05:25 AM Post #2 |
|
Fire & Ice Senior Diplomat
![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Not good PR Brew. Did you read about the cruise passengers robbed in Mexico? |
![]() |
|
| Brewster | Feb 28 2012, 05:32 AM Post #3 |
![]()
Fire & Ice Senior Diplomat
![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I hadn't seen that one before, pat. Thanks. BTW, Carnival Cruise Lines, the one affected in Mexico, is another division of the same company that owns Costa... Gonna need a shakeup on procedures, seems to me... In the meantime, I'll keep recommending Royal Caribbean... |
![]() |
|
| Deleted User | Feb 28 2012, 05:35 AM Post #4 |
|
Deleted User
|
Carnival is kinda.................well Royal is much better |
|
|
| Pat | Feb 28 2012, 05:45 AM Post #5 |
|
Fire & Ice Senior Diplomat
![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Here you go Brew. Down where Telco brags about it being so safe, you can't go ashore without the fear of being robbed. I would say not only Carnival but the Mexican tourist industry has a black eye with this incident. You don't have to worry about pirates at sea in Mexico, they are all on land. http://articles.cnn.com/2012-02-26/world/world_mexico-cruise-robbery_1_carnival-splendor-carnival-cruise-lines-cruise-officials?_s=PM:WORLD Cruise line: 22 passengers robbed in Mexican seaside resort CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES Share this on: February 26, 2012|By the CNN Wire Staff The 3,000-plus passenger Carnival Splendor set sail February 19 from Long Beach, California. Twenty-two Carnival Cruise Lines passengers were robbed of valuables and their passports during a shore excursion in the Mexico seaside resort of Puerto Vallarta, cruise officials said late Saturday. The passengers were robbed Thursday during a guided trail excursion, according to a statement released by the cruise line. The cruise line did not provide details of the robbery, saying only that there were no injuries and the tour was suspended on future sailings under further notice. "Carnival is working with guests to reimburse them for lost valuables and assist with lost passports or other forms of identification," the statement said. The robbery comes two weeks after the U.S. State Department issued a travel warning to Americans to avoid all but essential travel to all or parts of 14 Mexican states, including the state of Jalisco. Puerto Vallarta is the sixth-largest city in Jalisco. The State Department also warned travelers to use caution in visiting part of Baja California, Colima and Morelos. The 3,000-plus passenger Carnival Splendor set sail February 19 from Long Beach, California, for a seven-day Mexican Riviera cruise that included stops in Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta, according to the ship's online itinerary. The travel warnings and reports of increasing violence in Mexico have caused many cruise lines to curb their itineraries, either eliminating and shortening stops. A number of cruise lines dropped Mazatlan from itineraries last year following a spike in violence. Puerto Vallarta has remained a tourism hotspot, drawing college students during Spring vacations as well as cruise passengers. The travel warnings follow reports that more than 47,500 people were killed in drug-related violence in Mexico between December 2006 and September 2011, according to the State Department. While most of those murdered were involved in criminal activity, innocent people were also caught in the crossfire, the State Department said. Mexican President Felipe Calderon declared a crackdown on cartels in late 2006. |
![]() |
|
| Deleted User | Feb 28 2012, 05:51 AM Post #6 |
|
Deleted User
|
We did that cruise on Royal. The furthest I ventured from the ship was 1/2 mile. And I only went that far with a group walking. I will do that cruise again, if Royal comes back to LA. But I have no interest in getting off the ship |
|
|
| Brewster | Feb 28 2012, 06:08 AM Post #7 |
![]()
Fire & Ice Senior Diplomat
![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Pat, your point about Mexico is valid. Royal and several other responsible cruise lines have suspended much of their operations into western Mexico. |
![]() |
|
| Deleted User | Feb 28 2012, 10:26 AM Post #8 |
|
Deleted User
|
There are criminals everywhere. People who flash wealth are obviously more at risk,and a busload is a temptation I am sure. At least they did not get shot to death like the French Canadian tourist in Florida last week (in his own RV). I wonder if they got their inspiration from this incident last month LINK Also nobody got beheaded on the bus. You have to go to Manitoba, Canada to experience that. BTW Pat, I have never said Mexico is safe, just that risks to tourists are minimal. Consider the numbers & factor out those hurt who just happen to be involved in the drug trade themselves and it is probably pretty well as safe as your crime ridden, and our increasingly crime ridden, country. Afterall when you have a drug shootout in the restaurant of one of Vancouvers fanciest hotels (the wall center in Jan this year), you have to wonder if you are safe anywhere. |
|
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · Fire And Ice General Discussion · Next Topic » |






![]](http://z3.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)



10:14 PM Jul 11
