Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Regarding an issue brought to my attention; Members please read
Topic Started: Feb 14 2012, 02:35 AM (459 Views)
Mike
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ * ]
From time to time I read posts from topics or receive personal messages concerning member behavior. I have not addressed the posts or messages because I have chosen to allow my forum to be self regulated in all but the most extreme cases. If this decision disappoints, I hope you understand the reasoning behind this decision, and choose to embrace it and trust my judgment. Let me explain why I have taken this position.

It is easier to start up a discussion and debate forum, than to create the environment where it can survive and prosper. My background is best described as compassionate authoritarian. A benevolent dictator of sorts. I'm what I am and I have tried hard to embrace a less hands on and accepting life style. As I have changed, so has the manner I view this little place... and it's operation. And I'm positive those who have run these type of forums will agree in private... that where we are now, is closer to the goal of survival than where we came from. I have said this in the past, and after semi monitoring 300,000 posts over a four year span ( tomorrow marks four years) it would have been nice to have had a forum administrating manual available when I started. blink

You can still read a post from four years ago where I described the reasons this place came about, and I have a few of the original members here who have witnessed it's evolution over time. I blame myself for the loss of some fine members, and I have promised myself not to allow my own weakness to repeat those mistakes. To those who are still here and have come and gone, I appreciate your participation. For those i lost, I apologize. I'm only aware of one perfect human being, and I don't remotely resemble His perfection.

Allowing you members to self police was an original idea, I should have given it more time to evolve. I have had rules, discarded rules, and fumbled around enforcing rules. In this environment, and to accomplish the original goals of the forum, having baby sitters and a folder full of rules does not work. Having the forum be an extension of myself and my likes, dislikes, and opinions doesn't work either. So I decided to retreat to the background, and become more of an observer and back room monitor than daily participant. I check on my messages, review a few topics and post an opinion once in awhile. You fellas know from experience how to discuss and debate. What works and doesn't work. If you destroy a thread by name calling or diversion, you in the end destroy your own experience. You know when to back off and when to take a break. And by now, you know the ins and out of the active members persona and demeanor.
So in the end, you have all become monitors and self moderators.

In four years what I also learned was this....in most cases when somebody has complained to me, they too are guilty as charged. smile:

And you will have to accept this fact, whether you see it as fair or not...some of my charter members have gotten away with more than other members. I have a soft spot for these folks and that's they way it is. Some others have gained that distinction. I try to be fair, but I have come to accept some of the weaknesses of my members as a reflection of my own. If they offend you with some behavior, use the ignore feature available. If you choose not to use that feature, then do as I do, jump over their offending posts and go to the next one.

At this point in time folks, this is where I am at and where the forum is at. One final note....were a member's actions ever to rise to the level of abuse that I believe needs attended to, swift action will occur and they will be looking at the forum from the outside. I don't see any reason in going through warning procedures and such, it will be obvious if I ever need to take that action.

I hope this adds clarity to some who have inquired. May God bless you all.

I'll pin this for a couple days.

Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Fire And Ice General Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic

Website Traffic Analysis