Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Kidnapped At Birth - Kamiyah Mobley
Topic Started: Jan 20 2017, 12:09 PM (426 Views)
Doctor Magnus Warlock
Member Avatar

Quote:

Kamiyah Mobley, Kidnapped at Birth, Discovered Her True Identity Two Years Ago, Friend Reveals
BY CHRISTINE PELISEK•@CHRISPELISEK

POSTED ON JANUARY 17, 2017 AT 3:10PM EST

Kamiyah Mobley, the 18-year-old abducted as a newborn from a Florida hospital and raised by her alleged kidnapper in a South Carolina home, found out she was abducted about two years ago when she went to apply for a job, according to a friend.

“She was upset about it,” Arika Williams, who long believed she was Mobley’s half-sister, tells PEOPLE. “She even stayed home from school the next day.”

Mobley was only hours old on July 10, 1998, when authorities allege Gloria Williams posed as a health care worker and took her from a Jacksonville, Florida, hospital maternity ward. According to local reports, Mobley was briefly handed to Williams because her family believed she was a nurse, while hospital staff believed Williams was a relative.

Williams was arrested Friday at her home in Walterboro, South Carolina, where she was raising Mobley — who was called Alexis Kelli Manigo.

Posted Image
Kamiyah Mobley

Arika says Williams broke down and told Mobley the truth after the teen was hired at a local restaurant and was asked to provide a birth certificate and social security information.

“Lexy didn’t have that so she asked Miss Gloria for it and Miss Gloria kept brushing it off,” says Arika. “Lexy kept being hard on her mother, like, ‘Mama, where is my stuff? I want to get this job.’ Then Miss Gloria just broke down and told her this is why right here, you can’t do this. I kidnapped you.”

Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams tells PEOPLE investigators are still trying to put the pieces together.

“We don’t know exactly what she knew,” he says about Mobley. “We know that obviously there was conversation about her maybe not being her daughter. Did she confess completely to her, or did she just give her pieces of it? We are not quite sure at this point.”

According to Arika, Gloria Williams allegedly told her daughter she had been pregnant but suffered a miscarriage.

Posted Image
From left: a composite image of Kamiyah Mobley, who police say was abducted as a newborn, and suspect Gloria Williams.

“Gloria was pregnant at the baby shower and had people there bringing homemade quilts saying Alexis’ name on it,” Arika says. “Alexis Kelli Manigo was going to be spoiled regardless but I guess she said she lost Alexis Kelli Manigo. She was going to find Alexis Kelli Manigo and went and got Kamiyah.”

Sheriff Williams says investigators haven’t yet determined what prompted the alleged kidnapping. “We are still working on that,” he says. “We don’t know the answer to that as to why she did it and we don’t know if she told her. We don’t know how much conversation they had: whether it was over one day or whether it was over multiple days or weeks. We are not sure about that as of yet.”

According to ABC News, Williams allegedly told her ex-boyfriend Charles Manigo that she gave birth to their daughter when he was away. Manigo said he and Williams continued to date until 2003, raising Mobley together and sharing custody after they split.

However, a Facebook post on a page that appears to be that of Mobley says Manigo “did nothing” as a father figure.

“YOU WERE NOTHING TO ME MY WHOLE LIFE,” she allegedly wrote. “I CAN COUNT ON MY FINGERS HOW MANY TIMES I’VE SPENT THE NIGHT AT YOUR HOUSE.”

Posted Image
Charles Manigo

Arika says that after Mobley learned the truth she started looking up stories about the case and allegedly called her birth mother, Shanara Mobley.

“She said she heard her voice and she hung up,” she says.

Arika says Kamiyah eventually “just let it go.”

“Gloria is all she knows. That is mama to her,” she adds. “That is who raised her to who she is now. And no matter what, that will always be mama to her.”

Sheriff Williams says he is not surprised Mobley has been supportive of Gloria Williams after her arrest.

“For all accounts she was well taken care of,” he says. “She was raised a normal, healthy 18-year-old girl. It is a lot for anybody to process much less a young adult.”

Sheriff Williams says there are still plenty of unanswered questions including why Gloria Williams allegedly chose the hospital for the kidnapping.

“I don’t know why she picked that hospital,” he says. “Think about the timing of the fact that Kamiyah’s mother was a young mother at the time — so how did she know that or did she know that?

“Was she just lucky in finding a young, underage mother that she thought maybe did not have family support or something? You can really go crazy trying to fill in the blanks.”

Adds Sheriff Williams: “It is an incredible story. It leaves you with many more questions than answers. Policeman are notorious for believing they figure something out relatively quickly and reading people but this is one of those that the truth is stranger than fiction. It is incredible. You can’t make it up.”

https://people.com/crime/kaliyah-mobley-kidnapped-at-birth-discovered-her-true-identity-several-years-ago-half-sister-reveals/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Doctor Magnus Warlock
Member Avatar

Quote:

How Detectives Cracked the Cold Case of a Florida Newborn Stolen from the Hospital 18 Years Ago

People
cpelisektimeinc
January 18, 2017

Posted Image

Newly released police documents reveal how a series of anonymous tips, beginning in August, led investigators to solve the 18-year mystery of Kamiyah Mobley’s disappearance.

Mobley was just eight hours old when authorities claim that Gloria Williams, posing as a health care worker, stole her from a Jacksonville, Florida, hospital in July 1998. On Friday, investigators said Mobley had been found in Walterboro, South Carolina, living under a false identity apparently created for her following her abduction.

Williams, 51, was arrested on a kidnapping charge the same day.

The case started to crack when the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children received two anonymous tips about Mobley, according to Williams’ arrest warrant affidavit, which was obtained by PEOPLE.

According to the first tip, sent to the center on Aug. 8, Mobley told a friend that she had been abducted as a baby. “The tip said that the victim is currently named Alexis Kelli Manigo,” the affidavit states.

Three months later, on Nov. 8, the center received a second tip from an unnamed person who claimed Williams had allegedly admitted to the kidnapping, according to the affidavit. “The suspect stated that she renamed the victim as Alexis Kelli Manigo, and claims her as her daughter.”

Jacksonville sheriff’s detectives opened up an investigation and arrived in Walterboro on Jan. 10, after which they obtained Mobley’s birth certificate and Social Security card from her high school, the affidavit states.

Mobley’s birth certificate was a fraud and her Social Security number was taken from a Virginia man who died in 1983, according to the affidavit. One of Mobley’s friends previously told PEOPLE the teen learned of her true identity two years ago, when she tried to get a job and was asked for her identifying paperwork.

“Lexy didn’t have that, so she asked Ms. Gloria for it and Ms. Gloria kept brushing it off,” the friend, Arika Williams, claimed. “Lexy kept being hard on her mother, like, ‘Mama, where is my stuff? I want to get this job.’ Then Miss Gloria just broke down and told her, ‘This is why right here, you can’t do this. I kidnapped you.’ ”

A witness who spoke with detectives in Walterboro also said Gloria had confessed “approximately a year and a half ago” to abducting Mobley from the hospital, the arrest warrant affidavit alleges.

Another witness told detectives “Alexis Manigo told her that she had been kidnapped” and that Williams “told her she was Kamiyah Mobley,” according to the affidavit.

‘We Don’t Know Exactly What She Knew’

Despite the dramatic announcements this week in the nearly two-decades-old case, several questions remain unanswered.

“We don’t know exactly what she knew,” Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams told PEOPLE of Mobley. “We know that obviously there was conversation about her maybe not being daughter. Did she confess completely to her, or did she just give her pieces of it? We are not quite sure at this point.”

Sheriff Williams said they are still working out what led to the abduction: “We don’t know the answer to that, as to why did it, and we don’t know if she told .”

Mobley has defended Gloria, who she grew up believing was her mom. The teen told ABC News, “She loved me for 18 years. She raised me for 18 years … I will always love her.”

“From that one mistake, I was given the best life. I was. I had everything I ever needed, wanted. I had love especially,” Mobley said. “I understand what she did was wrong, but just don’t lock her up and throw away the key like everything she did was just awful.”

Mobley met her biological parents for the first time on Saturday at the Walterboro Police Department, WCSC reported.

“I feel like I do owe them that, to give them a chance, you know? Get to know them,” Mobley told ABC News. “I’m not saying they weren’t going to be good parents. I’m not saying that at all. But it would have been a different life.”

She added: “When you find out you’ve got another family out there, it’s just more love.”

Arika Williams, Mobley’s friend, told PEOPLE that after Mobley learned the truth of her abduction, she started looking up stories about the case and allegedly called her birth mother.

“She said she heard her voice and she hung up,” Arika said.

Arika said Mobley eventually “just let it go.”

“Gloria is all she knows. That is mama to her,” she said. “That is who raised her to who she is now. And no matter what, that will always be mama to her.”

Suspected Kidnapper Appears in Court

On Wednesday, Gloria made her first court appearance in Florida on charges of first-degree kidnapping and third-degree custodial interference.

During the brief hearing, no bond was set on the kidnapping charge and a $503,000 bond was set on the interference charge.
Gloria remains in custody in the Duval County Jail.

She did not enter a plea. Her next court appearance is scheduled for Feb. 8.

It was not immediately clear if she has retained an attorney. The lawyer with her in court Friday did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/detectives-cracked-cold-case-florida-223954966.html

Doctor Magnus Warlock
Member Avatar

Quote:

Accused kidnapper invokes right to remain silent
Gloria Williams won't talk to investigators without attorney

By Chris Parenteau - Reporter
Posted: 3:37 PM, January 19, 2017
Updated: 8:02 PM, January 19, 2017

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A woman accused of kidnapping an hours-old infant from a Jacksonville hospital in 1998 will not be cooperating with investigators, according to court documents.

Gloria Williams, 51, is charged with kidnapping and interfering with custody for taking Kamiyah Mobley in July 1998 from what was then University Medical Center.

Williams raised the girl as her own daughter and named her Alexis Manigo.

After recent tips to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, Williams and Alexis, now 18, were found living in Colleton County, South Carolina.

Williams was arrested there last week and transferred this week to Jacksonville to face the charges.

Before her transfer, Williams filed a document demanding that no law enforcement officers or prosecutors “attempt to engage me in any conversation whatsoever, concerning any crime or criminal activity, whether presently charged or not, without the presence of my attorneys.”

Attorney Gene Nichols, who is not connected to the case, said that ban includes the three-hour car ride from Walterboro, South Carolina, to Jacksonville.

“You know that every sheriff’s office, whether it's here or somewhere else, are going to be taking that time in that car ride to have a conversation and to get as much evidence -- that's their job, to get as much evidence as they possibly can,” Nichols said.

The three-page filing was submitted by an attorney from Charleston, along with an attorney in Jacksonville, who are representing Williams.

In it, Williams states that she intends to remain silent under the Fifth Amendment.

Because of the filing, her attorneys must now be present for any conversation, including those with inmates who have been asked by police or prosecutors to get information from her, or her constitutional rights will be violated.

But other inmates could still try to talk to her on their own.

“As long as they weren't prompted to do it, they are in individual actor, just like any of us who would ask a defendant something that happened,” Nichols said.

Nichols said those conversations often do happen behind bars, as some inmates look for any way they can to try to help themselves in the eyes of prosecutors. He said that might happen in this case as well.

Copyright 2017 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/accused-kidnapper-invokes-right-to-remain-silent

Doctor Magnus Warlock
Member Avatar

Quote:

Documents: Woman knew for months she'd been stolen at birth

Associated Press
JASON DEAREN
Associated PressJanuary 19, 2017

Posted Image

Live Updates
The Inauguration of Donald Trump
The president-elect and wife Melania head to the Capitol with the Obamas for the official ceremony

Documents: Woman knew for months she'd been stolen at birth

Associated Press
JASON DEAREN
Associated PressJanuary 19, 2017

Posted Image
In this undated photo made available by Bamberg Legal, Kaliyah Mobley, left, takes a selfie with Gloria Williams. Court documents show that Mobley was kidnapped from a Florida hospital as an infant and raised by Williams in South Carolina under the name Alexis Manigo. Williams has been charged with abducting Mobley when she was hours old. (Kaliyah Mobley/Bamberg Legal via AP)

An 18-year-old who was kidnapped as an infant discovered months ago that she had been raised by her abductor under an assumed name, court documents show.

An arrest warrant affidavit filed in the case Wednesday says the girl, living under the name Alexis Manigo in South Carolina, knew a year and a half ago that she'd been kidnapped as a baby from a Florida hospital and was listed as a missing person.

The girl's real name was Kamiyah Mobley. After her admission to a friend last summer in the town of Walterboro, South Carolina where she lived, court documents say an anonymous tip was received by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, which contacted authorities.

Mobley was just eight hours old when a woman dressed as a nurse took her from her mother and disappeared. The abduction created a massive search, but Mobley was never found.

After the tips to the center, detectives with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office in Florida obtained a cheek swab from Mobley. The DNA tests confirmed her identity, and Gloria Williams, 51, was arrested on a kidnapping charge.

On Jan. 10, detectives from Florida went to Walterboro and obtained a birth certificate and Social Security card from the high school Mobley attended, and found both to be fraudulent, according to the documents. The Social Security number listed on the card was for a man in Virginia who had died in 1983.

"Alexis was a child and she relied on Gloria Williams with regards to any documents in existence," said Mobley's attorney, Justin Bamberg. "Kids don't take care of that kind of stuff, a Social Security card or any type of birth certificate."

The affidavit also says Williams had admitted to associates that she took Mobley from a Jacksonville, Florida, hospital and raised her in South Carolina.

That admission led to another anonymous tip to the center, the documents show.

"The ... suspect stated that she renamed the victim as Alexis Kelli Manigo, and claims her as her daughter," the affidavit reads.

Williams is now being held without bail in a Jacksonville jail, and also faces a charge of interference with custody in addition to kidnapping. There is no attorney listed for her yet.

Mobley's biological parents, Shanara Mobley and Craig Aiken of Jacksonville, have met with their daughter since the revelation. They are still in the process of building a relationship with her, which Kamiyah Mobley has said she is open to doing.

Still, the young woman's attorney said she is extremely upset about the loss of the only mother she has ever known, but also wants to get to know her biological family.

"She forgives her, doesn't hold any ill will towards her," Bamberg said of Williams. "She doesn't love this woman any less than she did before."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/documents-woman-knew-months-shed-stolen-birth-144235732.html

Doctor Magnus Warlock
Member Avatar

Quote:

Teen stolen as baby still loves 'mother'
By Jason Hanna, CNN
Updated 8:06 AM ET, Thu January 19, 2017

(CNN) - Alexis Manigo has accepted what police say -- that she was born as Kamiyah Mobley and that the woman who raised her in South Carolina stole her as a newborn from a Florida hospital.

But the 18-year-old told HLN's Ashleigh Banfield she loves the woman now sitting in jail and still considers her mom.

"I still feel the same way about her," Manigo said in an interview that aired Wednesday. "My feelings toward my mother will never change."

Posted Image
Alexis Manigo -- born as Kamiyah Mobley -- says the woman she knows as her mother made a mistake.

'She's not an animal'

A DNA test revealed last week that Manigo was the infant who police said was stolen from a Jacksonville hospital in July 1998 by a woman posing as a nurse.

That woman, police say, was Gloria Williams, 51, now held on charges of kidnapping and interfering with custody. She was extradited from South Carolina to Jacksonville this week and is awaiting trial with bail set at $500,000.

Manigo's dismay has been apparent for days. Shortly after Williams' arrest last week, the teen wept and hugged her inside a jail in Walterboro, South Carolina, video shows.

"I'll probably cry more than I have in the past," she told HLN. "I just couldn't take that she was in cuffs. She's not an animal... I don't think she deserves to be in cuffs."

Manigo declined to answer questions about when she began to suspect something was amiss. But court documents reveal Manigo may have known about her hidden past for months.

Following up on a tip given to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children in August, detectives interviewed a witness who said Manigo claimed a year and a half ago she was kidnapped from a Jacksonville hospital as a baby, according to the affidavit for Williams' arrest.

The DNA test came during the probe sparked by the tip.

Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams has said Manigo "had an inclination beginning a couple of months ago" that she may have been abducted. She had discovered she had a fraudulent Social Security card and birth certificate when she began looking for jobs, the sheriff said.

She is working with an attorney to establish a valid birth certificate and Social Security number. Her birth name is just one of the shocks she is working through -- news media referred to her as Kamiyah Mobley when reporting the story last week.

She used Manigo -- the name she grew up with -- in an interview that aired Wednesday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

"Your whole life you've been known as Alexis, Lexi. Now it's like, people are referring to you as someone else, nationally," she told "GMA."

'I was given the best life'

Manigo acknowledged Williams made a mistake, but says she forgives her.

"From that one mistake, I was given the best life. I was. I had everything I ever needed, wanted, I had love, especially," she told "GMA" of growing up in Walterboro, some 175 miles north of Jacksonville.

"You can't just say, 'Oh, they did something wrong, let me just forget about them and move on.' It's not that easy," she told ABC.

"I understand what she did was wrong, but just don't lock her up and throw away the key, like everything she did was just awful. She loved me for 18 years. She cared for me for 18 years."

Nationally publicized kidnapping

Authorities say last week's DNA results ended an 18-year mystery that started with a kidnapping -- one that left Manigo's biological relatives in years of grief.

On July 10, 1998, a kidnapper, dressed as a nurse in a blue smock with flowers and surgical gloves, was captured in a grainy surveillance video at the Jacksonville hospital where Kamiyah Mobley was born, police said.

The baby's mother, Shanara Mobley, then 16, told investigators that a woman she thought was a nurse entered her hospital room and took the infant.

"Please bring my baby back," Shanara Mobley cried during an interview with CNN affiliate WJXT-TV at the time. "If you were faking a pregnancy or you just can't have no kids, how do you think I feel? ... That's my first child."

The kidnapping made national headlines. The mother eventually was awarded $1.5 million after settling a lawsuit against the medical center, WJXT reported. She has since had three other children.

Police said Williams kidnapped the baby and raised her in South Carolina. Manigo derives her last name from Williams' former husband, Charles Manigo, who was incarcerated when the baby arrived, his family has said.

But authorities said Williams also used fraudulent documents to establish the child's identity. A check of her Social Security number reveals it was issued to a Virginia male who died in 1983
, court documents say.

A sample of Manigo's DNA taken at the time of her birth in Florida was matched Thursday with a swab taken from the young woman last week.

Reunited with biological parents

Manigo met her biological parents Saturday in Walterboro, WJXT reported.

Her biological father, Craig Aiken, said he told his daughter he loves her.

"The first meeting was beautiful," Aiken told the station. "It's a feeling that you can't explain."
Manigo likened the experience to meeting distant relatives.
She told HLN she could envision having a relationship with her biological parents but had no idea how it could play out.

"I don't want to be like a little kid hoping everyone is going to get along," she said. What does Manigo want, then? "Peace."

Asked whether she thought about what her life would have been like in Florida, she told "GMA," "I'm not saying that they weren't going to be good parents. I'm not saying that at all. But it would have been a different life."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/18/us/kamiyah-mobley-alexis-manigo-kidnapping-case/index.html

Doctor Magnus Warlock
Member Avatar

Quote:

Mom of Kamiyah: 'I see my baby girl wanting this lady in her life and not me'
Updated: Jan 19, 2017 - 11:45 PM

The biological mother of the teen kidnapped from her hospital room in Jacksonville 18 years ago is sharing her heart with friends and the daughter she’d like to get to know.

Shanara Mobley posted a message in a Facebook group, thanking everyone who has been supporting her through this journey. In the post, she said she had been confused and depressed since investigators announced finding Kamiyah Mobley, who has been going by Alexis Manigo, on Friday in Walterboro, South Carolina.

"The tears won't stop," Shanara Mobley said in the post. "I see my baby girl wanting this lady in her life and not me."

Many people overwhelmingly responded to the post giving their support to Shanara Mobley.

Shanara Mobley said she "stopped everything" after finding out that Kamiyah Mobley had been found.

Posted Image

"Kamiyah, if you see this, know you are your mother's child. Your whole character is me, and you can never get rid of that. Love you, baby girl," Shanata Mobley said.

Since the announcement of the Kamiyah Mobley's location, Action News Jax acquired an arrest report for a suspect Gloria Williams, 51, that said Kamiyah knew that she had been abducted more than a year ago.

The document also reported that Kamiyah told a friend that she had been abducted.

The warrant, which was released after Williams was extradited to Jacksonville on Tuesday, detailed tips that led to the discovery of Kamiyah.

Williams was taken to Jacksonville Tuesday and appeared in court. On Monday, she invoked her right to remain silent and her right to counsel. Her next court appearance Feb. 8.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/the-tears-wont-stop-said-mother-of-kamiyah-mobley/485865447

Doctor Magnus Warlock
Member Avatar

Here is Kamiyah Mobley with her biological parents, Shanara Mobley, & Craig Aiken.

Posted Image
Edited by Doctor Magnus Warlock, Jan 20 2017, 12:41 PM.

Doctor Magnus Warlock
Member Avatar

What a crazy story.

I would definitely like to know the thought processes of Gloria Williams.

I do hope Kamiyah forms a lasting bond with her birth family.

U Thant
Member Avatar

Doctor Magnus Warlock
Jan 20 2017, 12:43 PM

She probably wonders, why, you chose a career which enables your hatred of darkskin negros?

She probably wonders, if, those ISIS freaks ever made it over here to our shores ... would she show ISIS demons where Caucasoid cowards such as, Doc Saul, did run to hide to?

reddgirl64

Doctor Magnus Warlock
Jan 20 2017, 12:43 PM
What a crazy story.

I do hope Kamiyah forms a lasting bond with her birth family.
I'm with you on Gloria Williams...she is an enigma.

I know she had miscarried, but was the maternal urge to much for her? Was this planned or just happenstance?

How many days after she miscarried, did she show up with a baby? Where/what did her family think of her having a child, with no hospital stay?

How many months was she, when she miscarried her baby? That man has some questions he needs to answer also.

I mean, how pregnant was his girlfriend the day before he left??? ^o)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply