Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Ghetto Black People: The Cancer of the Black Community; It's about class and mentality not race!
Topic Started: Dec 7 2009, 01:52 PM (6,071 Views)
Ren_Atl
Member Avatar

As I read these boards I'm realizing that everyone here is missing an important point. The negative behaviors you see among blacks is not about race, it's about class (or a lack thereof) or mentality. Racism and social conditioning has definitely shaped this mentality, there's no denying that. But we are all born with an inherent knowledge of right and wrong, so there's no excuse for bad behavior.

Bill Cosby said it best when he said that low-class blacks aren't upholding their end of the bargain. The problem is not that all black people are messed up. The problem is that low-class blacks with a ghetto mentality are the ones that stand out the most in society, in the media and even among other blacks. People--even black people--only want to recognize the ghetto blacks because society wants to believe that black people are all horrible people because our skin is dark. We tend to label all blacks as being the same way when it's really about black people of a certain mentality and social class, not about blackness in general.

The ghetto folks are the rednecks of the black community. The ghetto folks are the cancer that is decaying our communities from the inside out.

Now let me make it clear that low-class and ghetto aren't being used as blanket terms here. Just because someone is low-class by income, that doesn't mean they have no class or a ghetto mentality. And if someone lives in the ghetto because they can't afford to live elsewhere, that doesn't mean they have no class a ghetto mentality either. There are many black people who are working hard every day to get themselves out of the ghetto or a low-class economic standing. There is a HUGE difference between low-class on no class.

The black rednecks I'm talking about are the ones who have bought into the poor notions about their blackness. The black rednecks I'm talking about are the ones who have bought into the idea that their blackness is synonymous with being:

Stupid
Thugs
Sluts
Whores (male and female)
Crackheads and druggies
Poor students
Drop-outs
Lazy
Violent
Abusive
Selfish
Baby mommas
Baby daddies
Insert more negative adjectives applied to black people here

When I see a black woman dressed inappropriately, I don't see a woman who is a slut because she's black. I see a person who is dressed inappropriately because she has no self-respect, value and lack class. When I see a black guy who is a thug, I don't assume he's a thug just because he's a black guy, I see a guy who has no self-respect, no values and no class. Just because a woman dresses like a whore doesn't mean she's a whore. Just because a guy dressed like a thug doesn't mean he's a thug. But if someone is presenting a bad image that doesn't really reflect who they are, it's a major sign that they have a poor self-esteem and a poor self-image. Maybe that chick dressed like a slut doesn't sleep around and has been convinced that dressing that way is the only way she will get attention. Maybe that guy dressed like a thug would never hurt a fly, but he dresses that way to look tough among his black male peers who would criticize his manhood or even his sexuality if he wore khakis and a polo. There are so many factors at play.

Dressing like a slut or looking like a thug are both products of the ghetto mentality and unless people with a ghetto mentality want to change, there's nothing that can be done to help them. So I think they need to be cut off until they want to change.

For those black people who complain about black women or black men being a certain way, change the class of black people you hang around and you will notice a huge difference. I know that ghetto blacks exists, but since they aren't a part of my social circle I can't realistically say that the whole black community is going to hell because I know too many black people, male and female who aren't ghetto.

I think what needs to happen is that those of us with sense need to shun ghetto people who aren't trying to change so that they can realize that their mentality and behavior is not acceptable. We need to stop making excuses for them. It really is OK to think you are too good to be around certain people if they act in an objectional manner, but we can't become equally racist as whites and paint all black people with the same brush. There's too many black people doing good for us to let ghetto black people keep ruining our image.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

New York
Member Avatar

Ghetto Black people, well hell that's everybody on BET

Ren_Atl
Member Avatar

New York
Dec 7 2009, 02:12 PM
Yep! Which is why I don't watch BET lol!

Darkchild

Ren_Atl
Dec 7 2009, 02:37 PM
New York
And neither do I! It is one the many great travesty and has done a grave injustice to young black viewers.

Ren_Atl
Member Avatar

Darkchild
Dec 7 2009, 02:56 PM
Ren_Atl
New York
And neither do I! It is one the many great travesty and has done a grave injustice to young black viewers.
This is so true but BET still does not reflect all black people. If we really want to make a change, we have to walk the walk.

Black people have to stop supporting this kind of music and programming. BET needs to be boycotted. I listen to black people complain about the condition of black people but they still support the artists who are perpetuating the negatives stereotypes.

They'll say what they don't like the community but they will still listen to violent or filthy raps songs or listen to over-sexual R&B songs because it's "black music" and they won't venture out and discover other kinds of music to listen to.

While I wrote this post, I walk the walk. I don't watch BET, I don't listen to rap, hip-hop and R&B songs that contain filth. Quite frankly, I don't listen to black radio stations at all because the music is just so bad. I don't watch music videos and I also don't watch movies that portray black people in a stereotypical light or watch films that are supposedly made by black filmmakers that contain filth or perpetuate stereotypes and I don't let my child watch or listen to any of it.

We can't complain but keep supporting that which perpetuates the negativity.

New York
Member Avatar

Ren_Atl
Dec 7 2009, 03:22 PM
Darkchild
Dec 7 2009, 02:56 PM
Ren_Atl
New York
This is so true but BET still does not reflect all black people. If we really want to make a change, we have to walk the walk.

Black people have to stop supporting this kind of music and programming. BET needs to be boycotted. I listen to black people complain about the condition of black people but they still support the artists who are perpetuating the negatives stereotypes.

They'll say what they don't like the community but they will still listen to violent or filthy raps songs or listen to over-sexual R&B songs because it's "black music" and they won't venture out and discover other kinds of music to listen to.

While I wrote this post, I walk the walk. I don't watch BET, I don't listen to rap, hip-hop and R&B songs that contain filth. Quite frankly, I don't listen to black radio stations at all because the music is just so bad. I don't watch music videos and I also don't watch movies that portray black people in a stereotypical light or watch films that are supposedly made by black filmmakers that contain filth or perpetuate stereotypes and I don't let my child watch or listen to any of it.

We can't complain but keep supporting that which perpetuates the negativity.
But it's not like we have 10 different Black television stations,
showing Black people from different view points. Some people in
other countries the only thing they know about Black people,
are what they see on BET. The Black community have never taking
a serious stand against BET.

Hotep

You have to look into why "ghetto" people act in a way that you don't agree with. Because you may be doing well now, but that all can change. Black people were doing very well in Chicago and Detroit and New York at one point, especially Harlem. Harlem was a beautiful place, they had all the arts, tons of black businesses, the works. Now look at those areas. All within a course of 20 years.

If y'all don't wake up & try to reverse the trends - that will be all of us in a very short time. A VERY short time.

White Man
Member Avatar

If a me or another White person said those things
that Bill Cosby said, we would be called racist?

Hotep

Bill Cosby is a bourgie, out of touch millionaire who has no clue what's going on right now with the youth.

White Man
Member Avatar

Hotep
Dec 7 2009, 07:24 PM
Bill Cosby is a bourgie, out of touch millionaire who has no clue what's going on right now with the youth.
Bill Cosby is saying the samething that Obama is saying,
Obama said that Black men need to step up and be fathers
and take care of their kids.

Obama and Bill Cosby are both saying the samething

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply